• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Tommy Walters

Slightly the wrong shade, but close enough lol

I heard Weston will be inheriting around 15 preloved deckers from Lawrence Hill. These will be used to continue a double deck service on the 3, supplement the 7 when it goes to every 10 minutes, cover the boards on the 1 & 20 summer timetable which is not covered by the Coaster fleet and 32222/3 and the X5s.

When last operated the X5 was 1 E400 and 2 B7RLEs, since then Weston has lost both of the B7RLEs and several E400s to Wells. They are allready short of deckers atm, with the X2 often being subbed for a Streetlite when no decker is available. I suppose with the X9 being temporarily being operated by Marlborough Street that will free up a few E400s for the enhanced X1/X1x/X3/X3a/X3x/X4 timetables, but the extra deckers are welcome. It’s just a shame the Volvos were not sent to Bath, with the E400s going to Weston.

A Streetlite will have to be resurrected wt Lawrence Hill too for Marlborough Street to use on the X8, unless a couple of excel Streetlites are temporarily transferred. Bar 2 Urban Streetlites or the dildo for the 5, Weston will be entirely decker operated. I wonder if we will ever see the Darts returning to service?

I wonder if 47570 will go back to Weston in all this? I'm surprised it's still in Bath after most loaned vehicles returned to their original depots. Having said that, it might be needed to cover the 6th board on the 5 if another B7RLE doesn't transfer in from Wells!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Slightly the wrong shade, but close enough lol

I heard Weston will be inheriting around 15 preloved deckers from Lawrence Hill. These will be used to continue a double deck service on the 3, supplement the 7 when it goes to every 10 minutes, cover the boards on the 1 & 20 summer timetable which is not covered by the Coaster fleet and 32222/3 and the X5s.

When last operated the X5 was 1 E400 and 2 B7RLEs, since then Weston has lost both of the B7RLEs and several E400s to Wells. They are allready short of deckers atm, with the X2 often being subbed for a Streetlite when no decker is available. I suppose with the X9 being temporarily being operated by Marlborough Street that will free up a few E400s for the enhanced X1/X1x/X3/X3a/X3x/X4 timetables, but the extra deckers are welcome. It’s just a shame the Volvos were not sent to Bath, with the E400s going to Weston.

A Streetlite will have to be resurrected wt Lawrence Hill too for Marlborough Street to use on the X8, unless a couple of excel Streetlites are temporarily transferred. Bar 2 Urban Streetlites or the dildo for the 5, Weston will be entirely decker operated. I wonder if we will ever see the Darts returning to service?
D2007 any idea what these 15 preloved deckers will be?

D2007wsm

Established Member
D2007 any idea what these 15 preloved deckers will be?
I heard it was supposed to be B7TLs. By my reckoning there is 13 323** going by the fleet list. Perhaps, these will still transfer for 1/3/7/20s and the B9s to supliment the E400s on the excel services.

Streamr_MXP

I wonder if 47570 will go back to Weston in all this? I'm surprised it's still in Bath after most loaned vehicles returned to their original depots. Having said that, it might be needed to cover the 6th board on the 5 if another B7RLE doesn't transfer in from Wells!
69443/4/5/6 and 69457 were transferred from Wells, so there are 5, 59 plate B7RLEs in Bath. (6 if you count 69437, which is awaiting an engine) The remaining are not due to be transferred, as they will be kept for the 126. If required, the 5 could always use an Enviro 200 or 47570.

What is gonna happen with the hybrid enviros, are they gonna come back or just sit collecting dust at the back of Bath depot? It would be nice to see them again even though they were a bit rubbish.

Streamr_MXP

It's always playing a disappearing act, as it's so non standard. I've only seen it on the 21 on a handful of occasions over the last 12 months. It can't do the 31 or 41 due to hills!
It isn't the worst bus on hills. I've had it on the 41 a few times in the past, and it did better than some of Wells' 12 plate Enviros seem to be doing currently (In particular 33659). Although that was a few years back, and 39005 may well have got worse on hills since. They could always chuck it on a different route, other than the 21, and repaint it, for something like the U5/6. Just to give it some kind of use.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's always playing a disappearing act, as it's so non standard. I've only seen it on the 21 on a handful of occasions over the last 12 months. It can't do the 31 or 41 due to hills!
Non standard but they’re dreadfully unreliable which is why London binned them off! The ones that Crosville had in Weston were palmed off when young - think they lasted 5 years or so in London.

It was experimental technology and things progressed.

Last edited:

swifty

Established Member
It looks like 10174 is the first of the bendies to leave, it’s now at Ensign. As are former FWoE 42908 & 42955.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It looks like 10174 is the first of the bendies to leave, it’s now at Ensign. As are former FWoE 42908 & 42955.
I know I should be used to it at my age, but I remember seeing these "on delivery", passing a couple at the top of the M32 one day.

Those Darts don't owe anything to First; wonder if we'll see a Dart work again in Bristol or Weston? Would be a bit of a sad end for a type that has been a staple of the local scene since the first ones arrived in 1993.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Thanks Swifty. I’m surprised that Ensign would bother to deal with bendis though.
Ensign have been taking quite a few obsolete buses from various First fleets recently.
Perhaps they are collecting all the scrap ones that were reported as leaving Bath (2 bendis, 2 singles and some deckers)

Tommy Walters

Thanks Swifty. I’m surprised that Ensign would bother to deal with bendis though.
Ensign have been taking quite a few obsolete buses from various First fleets recently.
Perhaps they are collecting all the scrap ones that were reported as leaving Bath (2 bendis, 2 singles and some deckers)

I'd like to know how long it took to tow 10174 all the way from Bath - Purfleet! Can't imagine that's an easy task!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I am really confused with the fleet plan at the moment and what moves are temporary and what are permanent.

Probably because it wasn't confirmed (and no reason why it should be - some people on this board probably knew stuff but weren't able to divulge) and now we have the Covid service impacts. As a rough guide, it looked like:

• New gas buses in
  • Scanias displaced from SGL and m3 were to 39X
  • B9 from 42-45 to 3/4 (and a few for 2A) and possibly general HE?
  • B9 from X39 to 24
  • Ex Diamond e400s in (but perhaps some due were sent to Leicester to be modified with Streetdecks sent instead)
  • Replacement of bendis
  • Gemini B7TLs (excl. ex London ones) to Cornwall and Essex
  • Tridents withdrawn
  • Most ALX400 disposed
  • B9 from Wells to??
  • B7RLE from Wells to Bath
  • B7RLE (Barbie) to Driver Training
  • B7RLE (ex Bath
  • Solar (to Cornwall)
However, and with deference to those who knew what was going to happen, there may have been other plans.Now with C19, who knows what will happen to those plans or accommodating social distancing.

Streamr_MXP

I seem to remember seeing on Steve Whites page, that 66940/1 and 69448 were due to become trainers. Though none of these are barbie, so I wonder what the barbie B7RLE may be

spw24

well you can choose from 66728/9 66934/7/9 all barbie. Also the Wells B9s were going to Bath as well.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I seem to remember seeing on Steve Whites page, that 66940/1 and 69448 were due to become trainers. Though none of these are barbie, so I wonder what the barbie B7RLE may be
I think you’ve read it the wrong way “Also withdrawn are B7RLEs 66728/9 66934/6/7/9 69253 only 3 remain in service at LH 66940/1 & 69448. These are expected to be turned into Driver Trainers to replace the B10BLE,s.”

The withdrawn ones are to be converted not the ones in service

Streamr_MXP

I think you’ve read it the wrong way “Also withdrawn are B7RLEs 66728/9 66934/6/7/9 69253 only 3 remain in service at LH 66940/1 & 69448. These are expected to be turned into Driver Trainers to replace the B10BLE,s.”

The withdrawn ones are to be converted not the ones in service
Ahh yes it seems I have read that wrong. What will be the use of 66940/1 & 69448, now that the Y4, 37 & 178 have all gone double decker? I suppose 69448 could possibly go to Wells, and replace 66720, or it could go to Bath, to either do work on the 1, 5 or D1/2. As for 69440/1 I suppose they could end up in Weston.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Ahh yes it seems I have read that wrong. What will be the use of 66940/1 & 69448, now that the Y4, 37 & 178 have all gone double decker? I suppose 69448 could possibly go to Wells, and replace 66720, or it could go to Bath, to either do work on the 1, 5 or D1/2. As for 69440/1 I suppose they could end up in Weston.
No worries.

With social distancing, what was planned for the remaining other Eclipses and what happens now are very different things.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I'd like to know how long it took to tow 10174 all the way from Bath - Purfleet! Can't imagine that's an easy task!

It wouldn't be the first time that Ensign has bought a bus 'on paper' and simply arranged for it to go straight for scrap or resale without it ever physically getting to Purfleet.

Volvodart

Established Member
Some of their other recent purchases from First have been for scrap, or resale, dependent on condition, so I presume they took them there anyway to have a look at them.