• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Marcus Fryer

As an aside may I suggest you change services at the Centre stop outside the Forces Recruitment Centre as it's a more pleasant location to sit and watch the world go by rather than Bedminster.
I agree it's a more pleasant location. But if the m1 is just behind an A2 at the Centre it will be in front of it at Redcliff Hill/Bedminster as the A2 is running via Temple Meads at present.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
According to Steve's website latest allocation list 32003 is at Weston. Has anyone seen it there? Last time I knew it was looking sorry for itself stored at Westbury.

Tommy Walters

According to Steve's website latest allocation list 32003 is at Weston. Has anyone seen it there? Last time I knew it was looking sorry for itself stored at Westbury.

Also coming as a surprise to me are 37415/6 moving to LH! This confirmed by both Steve & the tracker.

36824 also seemingly doing 376s. Thought they'd tried and failed with the Scanias on there!

CD

Also coming as a surprise to me are 37415/6 moving to LH! This confirmed by both Steve & the tracker.

36824 also seemingly doing 376s. Thought they'd tried and failed with the Scanias on there!
I don`t know if 36813/14 were classed as being unsuitable for the 376.
I had several runs with both while they were there, very good runners. I expect they were envisaged as too new for the 376.

carlberry

Established Member

I saw 37415 near Thornbury yesterday and thought it was odd.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I don`t know if 36813/14 were classed as being unsuitable for the 376.
I had several runs with both while they were there, very good runners. I expect they were envisaged as too new for the 376.

I thought the reports were that they struggled to keep to time with them?

I don’t think age would be an issue seeing as the 376 got new deckers in 2015 and has been a regular recipient of modern fleet.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Just an observation with our talk about the possibility of Bath’s blue Bath Spa Uni B7TLs 32069/70/5/6/83/96 going down to Kernow.
I see on Steve’s latest FWE allocation list these no longer appear anywhere, either in the live allocations or the in reserve list. Neither do the Lawrence Hill ones (32073/84/93/94/98 32277) appear anywhere. However the Bath purples 32007/14/15 are still in reserve and 32003 shown as being at WM.
So it just made me wonder if all the KP51s are off to Cornwall.

I’m probably getting ahead of my self here! We will know from next Monday according to RichW on the Kernow thread.

spw24

I have corrected 32003 forgot it moved back from Weston. The purple 3 & 4s in LH are waiting to be collected presumably by Ensign, Im surprised to hear the Bath Blue B7s could be heading to Cornwall but they were refurbished so may last a bit longer. Don't know if the maroon ones in Bath will ever come back out to play.
All of these B7s are on the official list as live reserve.

richw

Veteran Member
At least 5 drivers from Kernow collecting some old Bath stuff to aid school transport social distancing on Monday.

I caught that today on the 376 and it did well, that particular scania has an annoying creak at the rear of the lower deck which is really irritating but overall it was quick, passengers seem to like the comfy Lazzerini seating and charging ports. It was a very enjoyable ride and I wouldn’t mind seeing them permanently at Wells.

Private Baxter

Established Member
For the first time since February, I ventured out onto a bus yesterday. In fact, with chores to do and being encouraged to eat out to help the economy etc, I decided to make a day of it so with facemask, sanitising gel etc, I stepped out and into the new normal. Here's my observations and the like.... I hope it's of interest.

I began my day, realised I left my phone at home with the First mticket on it so returned and began again! Phone retrieved, we could start and I have to say that the First app is now very reliable and so the mticket scanned and the bus capacity feature was accurate... it was a very lightly loaded trip to Wells on e400 33838. One guy on the top deck not wearing his mask but when granny and granddaughter appeared, he soon had it in place! It's been a while since I've been on any bus but haven't been on the 173 for a long time. I'd forgotten how lovely it is as we wandered through Binegar and via the Horringtons.

Some chores and a coffee in Wells and a short trip to Street on the 376. B7TL 32338 duly arrived and was sanitised by some youngish chap in the bus station. Sadly, the interior condition was deplorable. Yes, the sanitising does provide confidence but then you see just how filthy the interior is anyway. We hoovered along and good lord, the ear piercing squeaking in the lower saloon was terrible. The now common social distancing diversions are in place in Glastonbury so much of the town centre is not served by it, with the closest stop being B&Q which is not a good thing. At Street, I again showed my commitment to commerce by indulging in some shopping in Clarks Village, buying some rather cheap branded stuff as retailers desperately try to drum up trade.

Shopping was easy so having over bought but not overspent in quick time, it meant I could catch the tendered 668 to Cheddar, operated by a small Solo of Libra Travel. With a capacity now of 6, I had some reservations but paid my £3.70 and we maxed out at 5 on the journey. It's small dimensions meant it could actually serve the centre of Glastonbury as we very nearly traversed every road in the town (or so it felt) as we headed around Windmill Hill, passing a BoS Streetlite still in dealer white. We then bounced across the Levels on unforgiving seats via Wedmore and into Cheddar. Here it was a short stop before catching the still reduced 126, operated by Eclipse 69457 having a return to Wells depot and having been shorn of its Mendip Explorer ID if not the livery. Noticed that the seat cushions and headrests were beginning to fray.... it's only been 3 years since refurb!

Into Wells and straight onto the 376 north in the hands of 33667. Now unlike 69457 (and newly repainted 33838), this has been a Wells vehicle for some time. It's in ME livery but internally, there's none of the promo vinyls that used to adorn the Eclipses and Streetdecks. Even before Covid, I found the treatment of the Mendip Explorer routes slightly perplexing.... It used to be better than it is now but even then, there weren't branded stops. The brand's been removed from the 178 after 6 months and is now to be removed from the 126. It doesn't feel as coherent or strategic as it seemed - it seems more just a livery at the moment. 33667 coped with the Bristol Hill perfectly well and like 33838, the e400s seem fine on these routes. Again a whinge but think that these would benefit from a refurb, perhaps more beneficial than the recent 24 refurbs?

I got off at White Cross and then caught the 171 to Paulton, a short hop on Bath unibus 33946, so I could catch the newly deckered 178 to Keynsham. Now here's the thing... I've yet to be on a 178 in normal times that required anything larger than an Eclipse. A decker isn't required but.... what a lovely journey on B9 37346. I live locally and must've driven that route many times but on a pleasant day, it was a different perspective and was a just delightful. No issues with trees either except a few branches leaving Farmborough.

After a much needed food stop in Keynsham (thanks Rishi), I wandered out to catch the 18 to Bath. Was able to hear complaints about missing 349s and also complaints on the A4 with confusion on the short workings. At that point, an Abus Spectra appeared (53 plate) looking very smart externally but peering through the windows showed that these are now very careworn. Again, I wonder how long Abus will continue before a well earned retirement beckons? My next steed was one of the few ex Glasgow machines still about in 32544. Now, compared to 32338 earlier which is a whole year older....this was superb for its age. Hardly a rattle, not bad condition, quite tidy, and it seemed to go well without the full Dyson effect.

Then into Bath and something for the bus enthusiast etiquette thread. I wandered over to Broad Quay to catch the 3. There were two spotters photographing away. It was comical, as they were in perfect synchronisation. A bus would come around the corner, they'd raise their cameras and snap, then immediately check the image and return back to standing looking bored until the next bus rounded the corner....unless it was a Solo as they just didn't bother with those. I assume they think they're not "proper buses".

I had a plan to go to Combe Down and then enjoy a trip back on the 2 to enjoy the scenery of the city, with 33832 doing the honours. I have to say that the e400 is probably more suited to the city. First stopped buying B9s in 2012 and even then, it was one batch of 100 that has now been cast across the UK with just 7 in Bath so whilst I'd prefer Volvos on country routes, the scope to do so just isn't there. We made our way and I got off just as 33832 entered Foxhill so I could walk to Mulberry Park just in time to see my Solo driving off! Rather than waiting 25 mins in the rather smart new development, I checked to see that the U2 was due. I was getting nervous as the phone was down to 4% but 66720 turned up! I got on and discovered the USBs weren't working and so it was actually draining the battery. I was down to 3% but thought I'd be ok as I did the short hop to the Red Lion. Incidentally, someone has gone to the trouble of making a printed notice that reads "Granny Mendip" above the driver.

Last bus for the day was 33950 from Odd Down to MSN. This one goes well and the USBs were working; is this now a human right to have USBs??? As always, these e400MMCs squeak like hell; is it the dual door design? It seemed to cope with Dunkerton fine, the only issue on the journey being how long these are when turning in Westfield to head to Norton Hill. Sadly, you can also see the peak hour congestion beginning to return.

However, I've hopefully survived the day. The face mask adherence was pretty good especially with the yoof who get blamed for all Covid non-compliance. Aside from the first trip where the bloke hastily put his mask in place, the only other exemptions were one pensioner towards Street who wasn't wearing it over his nose, and in Radstock where someone stated they had lung and breathing issues so were exempted. Other than that, an interesting excursion into the new normal.... I hope it's interesting enough for you.
A good report, of what I might call classic routes, involving buses from most depots in our region. The 668 had at one point been a Badgerline route operated by Wells depot, though it is one route I have never been out on. With the exception of the 126, it was good you could take advantage of the increased frequencies, which definitely speeds things up, and we are lucky with quite a variety of vehicle types at the moment too. I too haven't been out on a bus since February, though with some time off coming up (and not a huge amount to do!), might get round to doing a trip I had originally planned in March.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Ah I missed those two! Former WoE 66719 and 42556 have also been scrapped.
A real shame, 66719 was always decent in these parts.
I notice a lot of talk on the various 54 plate B7RLEs over the last couple of days, with different fates for certain ones. Whilst they are no spring chickens, it is disappointing to see 15 and a half year old buses withdrawn so soon. They were met with much fanfare when they were launched towards the end of 2004 (and the rest early 2005) for 376 and X39 (but not forgetting 163 and 377), they were given a new coat of paint at the end of 2008, and have kind of been forgotten about ever since, with only a handfull receiving additional repaints and refurbs. In my opinion, these were, and are, such good buses which deserved better.
For the record, here is a rundown of their current status to the best of my knowledge:
66716 - trainer
66717 - trainer
66718 - trainer
66719 - scrapped
66720 - in active service in Wells
66721 - scrapped (following an accident)
66722 - in active service in Bath
66723 - recently brought back, though had been withdrawn
66724 - same as 66723
66725 - in storage
66726 - in storage - suggested it may become a trainer, though with numerous recent withdrawals of Discover buses, may be pressed back into service yet!
66727 - in active service in Bath (though has anyone seen this lately?)
66728 - trainer
66729 - trainer
66730 - last seen in Essex
66731 - scrapped
66732 - in storage
66733 - ummm
66734 - in storage
66735 - left for Glasgow in 2010
66736 - left for Glasgow in 2010
66737 - left for Glasgow in 2010

awsnews

With the recent service uplifts 66735 has returned to service at Dumbarton depot, primarily on the 206.
66736 has re-appeared on Lanarkshire services but 66737 doesn't appear to have been used since March.

Whiteway215

Established Member
A real shame, 66719 was always decent in these parts.
I notice a lot of talk on the various 54 plate B7RLEs over the last couple of days, with different fates for certain ones. Whilst they are no spring chickens, it is disappointing to see 15 and a half year old buses withdrawn so soon. They were met with much fanfare when they were launched towards the end of 2004 (and the rest early 2005) for 376 and X39 (but not forgetting 163 and 377), they were given a new coat of paint at the end of 2008, and have kind of been forgotten about ever since, with only a handfull receiving additional repaints and refurbs. In my opinion, these were, and are, such good buses which deserved better.
For the record, here is a rundown of their current status to the best of my knowledge:
66716 - trainer
66717 - trainer
66718 - trainer
66719 - scrapped
66720 - in active service in Wells
66721 - scrapped (following an accident)
66722 - in active service in Bath
66723 - recently brought back, though had been withdrawn
66724 - same as 66723
66725 - in storage
66726 - in storage - suggested it may become a trainer, though with numerous recent withdrawals of Discover buses, may be pressed back into service yet!
66727 - in active service in Bath (though has anyone seen this lately?)
66728 - trainer
66729 - trainer
66730 - last seen in Essex
66731 - scrapped
66732 - in storage
66733 - ummm
66734 - in storage
66732 was reported as back in use a few days ago and is shown on the tracker at the present time heading to/from the Costa del Twerton on Bath 5. I’ve not personally seen it so could be a ticket machine boo boo!

swifty

Established Member
Good Question!

69500 has been off road since late February. I've asked on here before whether anyone knows anything, but to no avail.
69501 suffered a wiring fire in December, and has been off road ever since.
69505 was crashed at the end of June, and I believe it has been withdrawn. Parts are being used to reinstate 501.
69511 now caught fire today!

Add to that the engine fire on 66885 & the terminal engine failure on 65726, meaning actually 6 discovers have broken overall!

69503 is off the road as well. It was on a low loader on the A4 through Saltford earlier.

swifty

Established Member
With the recent service uplifts 66735 has returned to service at Dumbarton depot, primarily on the 206.
66736 has re-appeared on Lanarkshire services but 66737 doesn't appear to have been used since March.

66733 is with Glasgow as well in their new white front livery isn’t it?

swifty

Established Member
I hope this works, saw it earlier on Farcebook. Former 42955 in its new livery at Seaford & District - WX06OMM

Whiteway215

Established Member
Good Question!

69500 has been off road since late February. I've asked on here before whether anyone knows anything, but to no avail.
69501 suffered a wiring fire in December, and has been off road ever since.
69505 was crashed at the end of June, and I believe it has been withdrawn. Parts are being used to reinstate 501.
69511 now caught fire today!

Add to that the engine fire on 66885 & the terminal engine failure on 65726, meaning actually 6 discovers have broken overall!
Re your quote about 69505. That’s a reverse of what happened before! On April 17 69505 was seen on Bath depot with front end damage. The next day 18 April it had been repaired ready to go back in service. But at the same time 69501 was seen missing its front panel which had apparently been robbed to repair 69505.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
66732 was reported as back in use a few days ago and is shown on the tracker at the present time heading to/from the Costa del Twerton on Bath 5. I’ve not personally seen it so could be a ticket machine boo boo!
66732 is most certainly back in use. Saw it myself on Tuesday afternoon on the 5.

I hope this works, saw it earlier on Farcebook. Former 42955 in its new livery at Seaford & District - WX06OMM

Not the first ex FWoE machine that Seaford have had. They had B10BLE 62193 for a while a few years back

Private Baxter

Established Member
Thanks for updates on these. Seems they have done rather well up in Scotland. Along with some of the 55 reg ones (66946-9/51-2), I recall they were part of a trade with some darts a little over a decade ago.
Ah thanks, had heard rumours. Last I saw it, it did appear to be the best condition of all the barbie examples, though admit I haven't ridden it for years.
66733 is with Glasgow as well in their new white front livery isn’t it?
Didnt know that. Last I heard it had gone to Weymouth, and I think even did a spell in the east midlands.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Ah thanks, had heard rumours. Last I saw it, it did appear to be the best condition of all the barbie examples, though admit I haven't ridden it for years.

Didnt know that. Last I heard it had gone to Weymouth, and I think even did a spell in the east midlands.
66733 went to Weymuff but then went to South Wales with some other FHD ones for a year, so rejoining 66716-8. A number headed north with other examples such as 66944/5/53.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Noticed this morning that Bath Uni maroon/purple 32015 has disappeared from the tracker. Its fellows 32003/7/14 are still on there although of course none have been in use since around March.
I don’t know if this means that 32015 is now withdrawn?