• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Whatever happened with the results of the Service 42 (Old Farnley to Oakwood) Consultation, were any of the changes ever introduced?

From what I remember there were two options, split the route in two or heavily revising the timetable so that there were less buses on the route.

Whatever happened with the results of the Service 42 (Old Farnley to Oakwood) Consultation, were any of the changes ever introduced?

From what I remember there were two options, split the route in two or heavily revising the timetable so that there were less buses on the route.

The bus route quietly got reduced from 10 minutes to 12 minutes during a normal weekday from around summer 2019.

However, another consultation with the WYCA (not really relating to the service 42 consultation) focused on building a bus lane on beckett street, where the bus usually suffers delays because of high density traffic during the daytime and rush hour.
that being said, it will result in improved performance and punctuality for the route.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
First West Yorkshire will be ushering in some changes come the 3rd May 2020. These changes affect both evening and Sunday services, whether these are temporary due to the current health risk or not I'm not sure as it doesn't say although the 11A timetable issued under forthcoming states its valid until the 26th June 2020 which is a Friday.

https://www.firstgroup.com/leeds/pl...=11/11A&routeid=4894992&operator=16&print=pdf

From Sunday 3rd May, we are making some small changes to our services across West Yorkshire, mainly affecting services on a Sunday or in the evenings. The affected services are outlined below:

Hudds
183, 185, 301, 302, 306, 308, 310, 314, 324, 328, 342, 387; 371, 372, 363

Halifax
501, 503, 508, 521, 522, 523, 541, 542, 571, 576, 590, 592.

Bradford
363, 576

Leeds
1,2, 3, 3A, 4, 6, 7, 10, 11A, 12, 13, 13A, 19, 19A, 27, 28, 33, 34, 40, 42, 56

X26/X27 – Will no longer operate, service 11A will be extended to Thorpe Park to provide journeys between the Springs and Crossgates.

https://www.firstgroup.com/leeds/ne...s/planned-changes/changes-wy-services-3rd-may

Deerfold

Veteran Member
First West Yorkshire will be ushering in some changes come the 3rd May 2020. These changes affect both evening and Sunday services, whether these are temporary due to the current health risk or not I'm not sure as it doesn't say although the 11A timetable issued under forthcoming states its valid until the 26th June 2020 which is a Friday.

https://www.firstgroup.com/leeds/pl...=11/11A&routeid=4894992&operator=16&print=pdf

https://www.firstgroup.com/leeds/ne...s/planned-changes/changes-wy-services-3rd-may

I'd be very surprised if these were anything other than temporary.

Notable that on a Sunday the 508 will no longer serve Leeds, finishing at Dawson's Corner.

144 023

Just want to know, but how long does the 11a take to go from Leeds to the Springs?
and does it use a Streetlite normally?

AB93

York have converted the 4 to artic operation from today, during the daytimes. The route at Acomb has been changed to the old ftr routeing.

mic

former First Greater Manchester via Diamond bus buses 37443 and 37445 have transferred to York

Kieran1990

York have converted the 4 to artic operation from today, during the daytimes. The route at Acomb has been changed to the old ftr routeing.

Bendy’s back on the 4’s! Never thought that would happen again. Assume they are ex park & ride?

AB93

Bendy’s back on the 4’s! Never thought that would happen again. Assume they are ex park & ride?
It did happen a couple of times in 2018 too as the odd (very odd!) working.

Yes it's the Park & Ride Citaros.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I'd be very surprised if these were anything other than temporary.

Notable that on a Sunday the 508 will no longer serve Leeds, finishing at Dawson's Corner.

It has been changed to include some Saturday services. I may be a little cynical but turning the 508 at Dawson’s Corner permanently would enable the bus route and the depot at Halifax I guess to retain a full complement of pre Euro VI buses if the new CAZ cameras are not located right on Dawson’s Corner roundabout.

For non locals, the buses turn on a section of road that is technically just inside the Inner Ring Road, which is the boundary of the new Clean Air Zone.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It has been changed to include some Saturday services. I may be a little cynical but turning the 508 at Dawson’s Corner permanently would enable the bus route and the depot at Halifax I guess to retain a full complement of pre Euro VI buses if the new CAZ cameras are not located right on Dawson’s Corner roundabout.

For non locals, the buses turn on a section of road that is technically just inside the Inner Ring Road, which is the boundary of the new Clean Air Zone.

I'm sure that would annoy a good few passengers.

It's the last of the 4 Halifax to Leeds routes we had in the 90s.

Andyh82

Established Member
Probably more that nobody was travelling to Leeds on a Sunday and the actual roads beyond Farsley are served by other buses. You’ll note most of the very limited lockdown timetables are still applying on Sundays.

The 363/X63 for example is back up to every 12 mins during the week but still the hourly key worker service on Sundays

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

If the 508 was turned permanently at Dawson's Corner, wouldn't it make sense for the 508 to continue to Seacroft or even Cross Gates to cover the ring road? This would allow passengers from Halifax to interchange at certain points along the route e.g DC, Lawnswood, Seacroft, Cross Gates ? The 9 could be reduced to a shuttle between Dawson's Corner and the White Rose Centre. It'd make more sense for First West Yorkshire in create a new "4Series" to make up for any connections that are lost with the 508 and could in part replace part of the 16 and 16A which never seemed to run to time. A 4Series could be packaged as services 4, 4A, 4G, 4R and X4.
  • 4 - Leeds > New Wortley > Pudsey then as current 16 route to Farsley > Bramley and to Leeds Vicar Lane.
  • 4A - Leeds > Bramley > Farsley then as current 4 route to Pudsey > New Wortley and to Leeds Vicar Lane.
  • 4G -As current route to Galloway Lane.
  • 4R - This would replace the 16A through Rodley using the same route as 4 and 4A but via Rodley rather than Intake Lane.
  • X4 - This would replace the 14 and X14 with the odd journey starting / terminating at Owlcoats.
The 16 could then been turned at Leeds Park Row on journey's to and from Whinmoor.

It's the last of the 4 Halifax to Leeds routes we had in the 90s.

First West Yorkshire should've extended both the M62 (and X80 that was exactly the same as the M62) services to the city centre, shame really as those services would have been well used.

bluenoxid

Established Member
If the 508 was turned permanently at Dawson's Corner, wouldn't it make sense for the 508 to continue to Seacroft or even Cross Gates to cover the ring road? This would allow passengers from Halifax to interchange at certain points along the route e.g DC, Lawnswood, Seacroft, Cross Gates ? The 9 could be reduced to a shuttle between Dawson's Corner and the White Rose Centre. It'd make more sense for First West Yorkshire in create a new "4Series" to make up for any connections that are lost with the 508 and could in part replace part of the 16 and 16A which never seemed to run to time. A 4Series could be packaged as services 4, 4A, 4G, 4R and X4.
  • 4 - Leeds > New Wortley > Pudsey then as current 16 route to Farsley > Bramley and to Leeds Vicar Lane.
  • 4A - Leeds > Bramley > Farsley then as current 4 route to Pudsey > New Wortley and to Leeds Vicar Lane.
  • 4G -As current route to Galloway Lane.
  • 4R - This would replace the 16A through Rodley using the same route as 4 and 4A but via Rodley rather than Intake Lane.
  • X4 - This would replace the 14 and X14 with the odd journey starting / terminating at Owlcoats.
The 16 could then been turned at Leeds Park Row on journey's to and from Whinmoor.

The proposal to run 508 around the ring road would have two issues

1. It would enter the CAZ as it heads into Farsley
2. It would put a large bus on a route that is already a supported service between Horsforth and Seacroft

Your proposal would cut the outer ring road connection between Horsforth and Pudsey/White Rose.

The issue with your proposals for Pudsey are

1. Cutting off Highfield Green from bus services where the 4 currently terminated.
2. It would cut the frequency beyond central Pudsey
3. It would sever links to Jimmys

I would suggest splitting the 16 so that the section west of Bramley Town End runs fast into town down Stanningley Road then terminates at Jimmy’s. The section east of Town End terminates at Whinmoor. However, there would be a need to cut frequencies at the outer ends of the route.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Running the 508 round they ring road is one of the strangest proposals I’ve ever seen, can you imagine the reliability of such a route? Why on earth would you run a bus from Seacroft to Halifax!

AB93

I was going to say, imagine trying to keep that on time! Sadly not possible these days.

Kieran1990

Finished work the other day and it seems the Steertlites are finally having there auto announcements activated on the 49 in the Monkswood- Bramley direction...
that’s taken a good while to get that system working

noddingdonkey

I assume it was on diversion for it to be going that way? I think I saw something about some incident at Dawson's Corner yesterday.

bluenoxid

Established Member
A brawl between the occupants of vehicles at the junction is being advised.