• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

AB93

Because First Manchester would no longer be an appropriate name, and for Oldham obviously isn't in West Yorkshire, but Oldham is nearer to the Pennines.

“First Pennine” not very appropriate for Leigh Bus Station though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

upasalmon

On Moderation
I overlooked the Vantage operation, but First Vantage could be an off shoot of First Pennines. Oldham is close to the Pennines, and once upon a time the Seddon Pennines was built in the area.

Andyh82

Established Member
Revised First Timetables from Sunday

wymetro.com/plan-a-journey/travel-news/bus-travel-alerts/first-timetables/

Changes are:

- Sunday timetables restored on services in Halifax and Huddersfield (many were running half as frequent compared to normal Sunday)
- 65 reinstated but only running hourly
- 48 reinstated but only running Leeds to Wigton Moor
- New service 784
- 72, 576, 579, 630, 633, X98/X99 normal frequency restored
- 680 normal route restored
- 508 & X11 normal route and frequency restored

The only reduced timetables now are:

Reduced frequency – 1, 6, 65, 74, 608, 610, 622, 626, X6

Reduced frequency on Saturdays – 2, 3/3A, 12, 13/13A, 4/4G, 16/16A, 363/X63, 503, 541/542, 548/549, 607, 617/618, 636/637, 640/641, 645

Special Timetable – 35, 47, 48, 55C, 200

No Service –26/27, 54, 55, PR1, PR2

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I haven't checked all the posts but I wonder if First Oldham is under the wing of FWY, as it is a contiguous operation . The First Pennine name could be used for this fleet.

Oldham comes under First Greater Manchester, one could say that they sort of work in partnership with First West Yorkshire along the Standedge Edge / A62 corridor with the 84 and 184 services that cross the Pennines into Huddersfield with First Huddersfield running the 181, 183, 185 and 186 to Wilberlee, Slaithwaite and Marsden. This becomes evident at timetables changes where FGM will change their 84/184 and at the next change First Huddersfield does their's. However since its operating area has been profoundly relegated to operating out of Oldham and the Vantage operation in Bolton & Leigh, usually any discussion on the First GM ops in this thread is limited to the 84/184 services, likewise with the 588 which is operated out of the Todmorden outstation.

Should the First GM name be changed to something more suitable? First Oldham would be a better name.

I for one would like to see First York and First Leeds (under First West Yorkshire) have another crack at running the X64 between Leeds and York but extending it to Monks Cross to take advantage of the shopping park.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
No Service –26/27, 54, 55, PR1, PR2

Don't forget that the 1A, 1B and N1 aren't running too, I can see these restarting come September once "social distancing" becomes a thing of the past (quite important for the N1 on Friday and Saturday nights, early hours of Saturday & Sunday).

Andyh82

Established Member
Don't forget that the 1A, 1B and N1 aren't running too, I can see these restarting come September once "social distancing" becomes a thing of the past (quite important for the N1 on Friday and Saturday nights, early hours of Saturday & Sunday).
I didn’t include those as they wouldn’t be running in the university holidays anyway

noddingdonkey

The "partnership" between Oldham and Huddersfield depots on the 184/84 is pretty loose. The farce of the Sunday timetable which sees an 84 and 185 towards Huddersfield a minute apart speaks volumes.

A proper partnership with some journies run from each depot would be a distinct improvement giving an opportunity to run Huddersfield-Marsden when snow or ice close the A62.

Seehof

Does anybody when or even if, York will get the Optare electric double deck Buses for its P and R services? Of course, it is impossible to run route 59 due to a Coronavirus testing station being at the P and R site for the foreseeable future. Thanks

cnjb8

Established Member
Does anybody when or even if, York will get the Optare electric double deck Buses for its P and R services? Of course, it is impossible to run route 59 due to a Coronavirus testing station being at the P and R site for the foreseeable future. Thanks
39503/4 have been registered YJ20AXA/B recently so I think they're on delivery now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
39503/4 have been registered YJ20AXA/B recently so I think they're on delivery now.

Was in the city over the weekend and indeed, saw 39503 at work yesterday on Bridge Street, heading from Rougier Street. Have to say that the new dark blue and bronze P&R livery is very dull....

One other thing is the overall condition of the York fleet. Some vehicles will look a bit scruffy, such as the newly debranded ex P&R Eclipses, or the odd other machine. However, it's fair to say that some of the Eclipses in Urban (not just the 54/05 but newer ones) are in a deplorable condition, inside and out. Faded paintwork with ill matched panels and corrosion, whilst inside, even newly repainted vehicles have threadbare seat cushions (though I understand some vehicles have been refurbished).

Talking of repaints, they've adopted the Scottish version but without any dark patch on the front - it's looks so insipid. If ever a place could and should have a dedicated local scheme, it would be York. It's good to see that B7Ls and B7TLs have gone, with healthy numbers of B9TLs and some ex Oldham Streetlites but otherwise, it's not very welcoming.

Andyh82

Established Member
Is the new P&R livery devised by First or the council?

Its certainly not Best Impressions, as you say its very dark

AJW12

Was in the city over the weekend and indeed, saw 39503 at work yesterday on Bridge Street, heading from Rougier Street. Have to say that the new dark blue and bronze P&R livery is very dull....

One other thing is the overall condition of the York fleet. Some vehicles will look a bit scruffy, such as the newly debranded ex P&R Eclipses, or the odd other machine. However, it's fair to say that some of the Eclipses in Urban (not just the 54/05 but newer ones) are in a deplorable condition, inside and out. Faded paintwork with ill matched panels and corrosion, whilst inside, even newly repainted vehicles have threadbare seat cushions (though I understand some vehicles have been refurbished).

Talking of repaints, they've adopted the Scottish version but without any dark patch on the front - it's looks so insipid. If ever a place could and should have a dedicated local scheme, it would be York. It's good to see that B7Ls and B7TLs have gone, with healthy numbers of B9TLs and some ex Oldham Streetlites but otherwise, it's not very welcoming.

First are quite frankly appalling at the state of their fleet. They seem to be the worst bus company for it by an absolute mile. It's improved a bit for areas like Leeds that have benefitted from mass influxes of new vehicles, but living and commuting in York for four years using the bus was horrible. It was like they just took for granted people who had no alternative and therefore quality of service wasn't a necessary thing to think about.

Knackered, old, uncomfortable seating; leaking on the inside; replacing one part of the outside without replacing the branding so there is just a random chunk with it missing; shoddy and hideous. And until just recently, the average age of the non-P&R fleet was probably one of the worst in the country.

Andyh82

Established Member
In York, the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride is currently running as service 2A, how does this differ compared to service 2 that it would usually be?

northrob

In York, the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride is currently running as service 2A, how does this differ compared to service 2 that it would usually be?
It's observing all the bus stops on it's route. Normally it's limited stop...

dazzler

Not entirely sure, but if it's anything like the normal 3/3A split the 2 will only serve Park&Ride stops, whereas the 2A will serve all stops. On the 3/3A, the 3 normally runs to early evening, then the 3A takes over until end of play. I'd hazard a guess that the 2 is running as a 2A to give the entire route a proper service through the day.

Edit: X-post with northrob

Andyh82

Established Member

With lots of repaints happening with the ex P&R buses and the like, it’s a shame they didn’t use the opportunity to introduce a local livery.

I think FWY bosses concentrate so much on Leeds, they see no issue in allowing the rest of the operation to carry on as some of the last remaining areas to still use Olympia as the main livery.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
With lots of repaints happening with the ex P&R buses and the like, it’s a shame they didn’t use the opportunity to introduce a local livery.

I think FWY bosses concentrate so much on Leeds, they see no issue in allowing the rest of the operation to carry on as some of the last remaining areas to still use Olympia as the main livery.

Exactly my thoughts.

To be honest, I didn't see too many repaints and plenty of very scruffy Eclipses in Urban and debranded P&R silver. Oddly, one repaint was one of the former Oldham Streetlites that has gained the Scotland style Urban.

However, you'd think that York would be ideal for a new refreshed image. It does seem that FWY are overly concerned with Leeds (I guess, it's their big money spinner and they have a partnership to satisfy) whilst other areas seem to get relatively little of the marketing effort. IIRC, there's the Holmfirth corridor and another (Meltham?) in Huddersfield, and in Halifax there's the Zest to Hudds, the Calder Valley services and the Red Arrows to Illingworth. Any branding in Bradford other than the Expresses?

wibble1989

Exactly my thoughts.

To be honest, I didn't see too many repaints and plenty of very scruffy Eclipses in Urban and debranded P&R silver. Oddly, one repaint was one of the former Oldham Streetlites that has gained the Scotland style Urban.

However, you'd think that York would be ideal for a new refreshed image. It does seem that FWY are overly concerned with Leeds (I guess, it's their big money spinner and they have a partnership to satisfy) whilst other areas seem to get relatively little of the marketing effort. IIRC, there's the Holmfirth corridor and another (Meltham?) in Huddersfield, and in Halifax there's the Zest to Hudds, the Calder Valley services and the Red Arrows to Illingworth. Any branding in Bradford other than the Expresses?

The other branding in Hudds is the HD Connect for the 370/1/2. However Zest, Holmfirth connect and Red arrows are losing branding for the default livery.

At least there is some sort of repaint programme despite how ad hoc it seems. What I feel First WY really suffers from is retrim programme. Seats only changed when beyond repair and general shabbiness makes a nice repainted bus fail any expectation of TLC on the inside.

Andyh82

Established Member
Exactly my thoughts.

In typical old First style, they repainted a bunch of buses in Huddersfield with a blue front, called it 'HD Connect' and used them mostly on services 370/371/372

But that was it, no explanation what 'HD Connect' was supposed to be, whether it was just for those routes (they aren't route branded) and whether it was supposed to spread across the whole network, so it just exists with no meaning

To be honest they've been ridiculously low key when the vast numbers of new 'Leeds City' buses have been introduced, they've basically just entered service, a major investment with no fanfare at all.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
First York isn't part of FWY any more.
It isn't but the links are still there - the registered address, the paintshop, the recent moves of vehicles from Leeds. It's autonomous with it's own MD but kinda not (or at least, that's how it looks)

In typical old First style, they repainted a bunch of buses in Huddersfield with a blue front, called it 'HD Connect' and used them mostly on services 370/371/372

But that was it, no explanation what 'HD Connect' was supposed to be, whether it was just for those routes (they aren't route branded) and whether it was supposed to spread across the whole network, so it just exists with no meaning

To be honest they've been ridiculously low key when the vast numbers of new 'Leeds City' buses have been introduced, they've basically just entered service, a major investment with no fanfare at all.
Yeah, HD Connect was what I was thinking of.

The marketing of First West Yorkshire is very pedestrian. Really noticeable when you compare a First bus in Burnley bus station that, if you're lucky, might have some curious green front and Calder Connect or whatvever against the Transdev offerings.

It's all a bit meh. Agree with @wibble1989 about the regular repaints being let down by internal presentation.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There was a First Leicester branded Eclipse in Huddersfield bus station yesterday at around 1345, no idea if that's a temporary loan or not.

Andyh82

Established Member
Leeds are running some duplicate journeys on services 576 & 592 using ‘LeedsCity’ streetdecks

Noted today were 35275, 35277, 35281 & 35505

Possibly one of the first times a streetdeck has been seen in Halifax, although I suppose one of Bradford’s may have turned up on the 681 or when they ran part of the 576 for a time

Apparently they are doing the same on some Bradford services as well

Also Huddersfield have taken over 4 boards on the 503 again

BradK2017

Leeds are running some duplicate journeys on services 576 & 592 using ‘LeedsCity’ streetdecks

Noted today were 35275, 35277, 35281 & 35505

Possibly one of the first times a streetdeck has been seen in Halifax, although I suppose one of Bradford’s may have turned up on the 681 or when they ran part of the 576 for a time

Apparently they are doing the same on some Bradford services as well

Also Huddersfield have taken over 4 boards on the 503 again

Not sure about the 576,but Streetdecks couldn't operate the 681 as it uses the Guideway when leaving Bradford. Halifax also had the Gemini styled front Streetdeck 35102 for a few months on service 503. Not sure if this counts but some of the 2019 Streetdeck order got delivered to Halifax for storage before entering service in Leeds

M60lad

So I see First Leeds operating area has increased with them now running out to Todmorden now on 592 that if their 592 duplicates actually run that far.

Kieran1990

Are first planning an increase on the Headingley routes from late Sept with Leeds rather large student population returning?
Seen a lot of bus full operation over the past week out the city, implying more people are using the bus network.