• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First win Intercity West Coast franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
The DfT have announced that First have won the franchise.

Standard Anytime fares are to be reduced by an average of 15% within the first two years.

11 new 6 car electric trains tol be introduced.

New service to Blackpool from 2013.

New services to Telford, Shrewsbury and Bolton from 2016.

£22 million to be invested in stations.

ITSO smartcard ticketing to be introduced.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20120815a
Rail passengers from London to Scotland will benefit from a package of improvements including more trains and more seats, as Rail Minister Theresa Villiers unveiled First West Coast Limited as the new operator for the ‘InterCity West Coast’ franchise.

As part of the deal First West Coast Limited will introduce 11 new six-car electric trains which will enable more seats to be provided across the franchise, including greater capacity on the Birmingham to Scotland route. New services are planned from Blackpool, Telford, Shrewsbury and Bolton to London. First West Coast Limited has also committed to cut the cost of its ‘Standard Anytime’ fares by an average of 15% within the first two years.

The franchise stretches from London to Glasgow, connecting many of the UK’s major cities including Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Edinburgh, Lancaster and Chester. The franchise deal is worth £5.5 billion (net present value) over the lifetime of the contract.

Rail Minister Theresa Villiers said:

“This new franchise will deliver big improvements for passengers, with more seats and plans for more services. Targets to meet on passenger satisfaction will be introduced for the first time in an InterCity rail franchise and passengers will also benefit from smart ticketing and from investment in stations.

“The West Coast is the first of the new longer franchises to be let by the Coalition which has helped us secure real benefits for passengers by encouraging First West Coast Limited to invest in the future of the service.”

Benefits the new franchise will offer passengers include:

More Seats: The new 11 six-car electric trains will deliver circa 12,000 extra seats a day, from December 2016 with the cascade of existing rolling stock to bolster capacity on West Coast routes. This is in addition to the 106 extra ‘Pendolino’ carriages which are currently being introduced into operation on to the franchise, which will deliver over 28,000 extra daily seats.
More Services: Initially First West Coast Limited will operate the timetable they will inherit from the current franchise but are seeking to introduce a number of new services including a London Euston to Blackpool service from 2013 and from 2016 services from London to Telford Central, Shrewsbury and Bolton.
Improved Services: Journey time improvements between London and Glasgow are planned, as well as additional services from London to Preston.
Fares: First West Coast Limited is changing its Standard Anytime fares and reducing them by an average of 15% over the first two years of the franchise.
Improved Stations: First West Coast Limited is taking over responsibility for maintenance at 17 of their stations and will spend at least £22m on a station investment programme.
Smart ticketing technology: First West Coast Limited will introduce ITSO based smart ticketing. This will offer speed and convenience as well as new ticket types more tailored to individual needs.

Notes to editors

Bids were received from;
Abellio InterCity West Coast Limited – NV Nederlandse Spoorwegen),
First West Coast Limited – FirstGroup plc,
Keolis / SNCF West Coast Limited – Keolis SA and SNCF,
Virgin Trains Limited – Virgin Group Holdings Limited.
Virgin Trains has operated the franchise since 1997 and the existing contract expires on 9 December 2012. The new franchise will begin operation on Sunday 9 December 2012. The franchise will operate for a core term of 13 years and 4 months, with an option to be extended to operate for up to 15 years.
The proposed Train Service Specification for new Inter City West Coast represents a relaxation from the rigid timetable specification of the past, while retaining obligations that protect the key elements of service, such as principal first and last trains and minimum numbers of station stops per week and per day. This marks a significant shift from the highly detailed specification which featured in previous franchise specifications.
To support its bid, First West Coast Limited has provided £10m of Shareholder Capital, a £45m Performance bond agreement and a subordinated loan of £190m. This is in addition to the requirement to provide a Season Ticket bond of circa £5m and a £15m Parent Company Guarantee to ensure the new Station Facilities maintenance obligations are met.
This longer franchise length encouraged investment in assets such as stations by extending the period over which commercially attractive schemes can pay back.
Anytime fares allow the use of any train, including at weekday peak times. Anytime tickets are not the only ones available to walk-on passengers. Off-peak fares are also available on the day and – as their name implies – are generally valid on all but peak services.
The new services are subject to obtaining the necessary permissions and access rights from the Office of Rail Regulation.
ITSO is a government-backed common technical standard for smart travel which means that transport operators throughout Britain can link up so passengers only have to use one secure payment ‘smart’ card no matter what bus, train or route they are using.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR1Berske

Established Member
I remember the first time I saw a Virgin branded train (at Wigan NW) all those years ago. And here we are about to see it all change.

Crompton Karl

11 six car trains? 395's are the only 6 car a/c units I can think of unless they buy short pendos. Very interesting.

Minstral25

Established Member
Does this mean now we will lose the Bearded one from UK trains?

Branson says he wanted to improve the travelling experience - was he successful?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20120815a

The DfT have announced that First have won the franchise.

Standard Anytime fares are to be reduced by an average of 15% within the first two years.

11 new 6 car electric trains tol be introduced.

New service to Blackpool from 2013.

New services to Telford, Shrewsbury and Boltn from 2016.

First press release: http://www.firstgroup.com/corporate/our_company/intercity_west_coast.php#
As far as I can see it's all good news (except perhaps the gating of stations).
Apparently the catering and on-board services are to enhanced, not cut back.
The displaced Voyagers appear to be recycled to Blackpool, Shrewsbury and Bolton(!).
"Extra capacity for Chester and North Wales".
The new trains must be Pendolinos, I assume.

Daz28

http://mediaroom.virgintrains.co.uk/2012/08/statement-from-sir-richard-branson.html]
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2012
Statement: from Sir Richard Branson, Founder Virgin Group

Following the DFT's decision to award the West Coast Mainline franchise to FirstGroup, Sir Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group, *said:

“The Government decision to award the West Coast Main Line Franchise to FirstGroup is extremely disappointing for Virgin, and for our staff that have worked so hard to transform this railway over the last 15 years. *We submitted a strong and deliverable bid based on improving customers’ experience, increased investment and sustained innovation. To have bid more would have involved dramatic cuts to customer quality and considerable fare rises which we were unwilling to entertain.

“We also did not want to risk letting everybody down with almost certain bankruptcy at some time during the franchise as happened to GNER and National Express who overbid on the East Coast mainline. Sadly the Government has chosen to take that risk with First Group and we only hope they will continue to drive dramatic improvements on this line for years to come without letting everybody down.

“We won the franchise in 1997 with an agenda to change radically the way people viewed and used the train. At the time the track was run-down, staff demoralised, the service riddled with delays and reliant on heavy subsidies. We set hugely challenging targets to dramatically speed up journey times with modern tilting trains, increase the frequency of the service, improve the on-board experience; as well as double passenger numbers and return the line to profit.

“We were told it was "Mission Impossible" and our plans were laughed at by critics. However 15 years later, despite continued problems with the track, we have achieved our targets. Passenger numbers have more than doubled to over 30 million, the fastest growth in the UK and world leading. We have the highest customer satisfaction of any long distance franchise operator and dominate the air/rail market between London and Manchester. It has been a remarkable achievement by an outstanding team who have successfully delivered on our promises.

“I am immensely proud of our staff for turning the West Coast line from a heavily loss-making operation into one that will return the taxpayer billions in the years to come. *Last year we paid a net premium of £160 million to the taxpayer and have created a franchise worth more than £6 billion which is hugely valuable to the country.

“These achievements have counted for little – as this is the fourth time that we have been out-bid in a rail tender. On the past three occasions, the winning operator has come nowhere close to delivering their promised plans and revenue, and has let the public and country down dramatically. In the case of the East Coast Main line, both winners – GNER and National Express - over promised in order to win the franchise and spectacularly ran into financial difficulties in trying to deliver their plans. *The East Coast is still in Government ownership and its service is outdated and underinvested, costing passengers and the country dearly as a result.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. When will the Department for Transport learn?

Interestingly before Virgin took over the West Coast there were more passengers using the East Coast than the West Coast. Now there are 12 million fewer.

*“Under our stewardship, the West Coast Mainline has been transformed from a public liability into a valuable asset for the UK, worth many billions of pounds. *The service is a British success story and one to put up against rail companies around the world. It is a great shame that such a strong track record has been discounted in the evaluation process for one of the UK’s most important infrastructure assets. The country's passengers, taxpayers and the West Coast employees deserve better.

“Based on the current flawed system, it is extremely unlikely that we would bid again for a franchise. *The process is too costly and uncertain, with our latest bid costing £14 million. We have made realistic offers for the East Coast twice before which were rejected by the Department for Transport for completely unrealistic ones and therefore will have to think hard before embarking on another bid.
“Our amazing staff have been the driving force behind the West Coast Main Line’s transformation and I am sure that for the last months of the contract they will all continue to run the high quality service that has helped win us many awards and attract millions more customers to rail.”

Zoe

Established Member
It says new seats to be introduced throughout the fleet. Will be interesting to see if they go for the Grammer seats used on FGW.

Zoe

Established Member
Least it isn't called 'Horizon Trains' as some people thought!
I don't think the brand has been annoucned yet. First West Coast Limited is the legal name of the company and this would be used in the franchise annoucement. National Express didn't make the "one" brand public until the day the franchise started.

bronzeonion

I don't think the brand has been annoucned yet. First West Coast Limited is the legal name of the company and this would be used in the franchise annoucement. National Express didn't make the "one" brand public until the day the franchise started.

Oh, well we can only hope!

Class377/5

Established Member
First press release: http://www.firstgroup.com/corporate/our_company/intercity_west_coast.php#
As far as I can see it's all good news (except perhaps the gating of stations).
Apparently the catering and on-board services are to enhanced, not cut back.
The displaced Voyagers appear to be recycled to Blackpool, Shrewsbury and Bolton(!).
"Extra capacity for Chester and North Wales".
The new trains must be Pendolinos, I assume.

But the Blackpool and Bolton will be under the wires in the next few years so Voyagers may not stay on those routes for long.

However 11x six car units, isn't that enough to displace the 10x 350/4's TPE have just got for Manchester - Scotland services that most thought should have gone to WC franchise anyway? And the fact that Alstom offered 6 car 390's for the new TPE trains as well?

As for the name, well on the First website they are calling it Intercity West Coast. Back to the older BR type name perhaps?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
But the Blackpool and Bolton will be under the wires in the next few years so Voyagers may not stay on those routes for long.

However 11x six car units, isn't that enough to displace the 10x 350/4's TPE have just got for Manchester - Scotland services that most thought should have gone to WC franchise anyway? And the fact that Alstom offered 6 car 390's for the new TPE trains as well?

As for the name, well on the First website they are calling it Intercity West Coast. Back to the older BR type name perhaps?

11 short Pendolinos isn't actually enough even to displace all the Birmingham-Scotland Voyager sets.
Maybe they will interwork with long Pendolinos as now.

I should think the fallout with the Manchester-Scotland trains will come when the TP franchise is remodelled/relet in a couple of years.

I don't recall Bolton figuring on any plans before now.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I'm a fan of Virgin the brand and they have done a cracking job but as long as First can afford this, I don't have a problem with them getting it and seeing what they can do.
I'd like to see Virgin getting the East Coast franchise next year as it needs rejuvenated after years of upheaval..

I'm not a betting man but I think these 6 car trains will be baby pendos

Andy

This just proves one thing... Very much like the ECML.

The DFT are not interested in what is best for the franchise, they are just interested in who will give them the most money!!

Class377/5

Established Member
11 short Pendolinos isn't actually enough even to displace all the Birmingham-Scotland Voyager sets.
Maybe they will interwork with long Pendolinos as now.

I should think the fallout with the Manchester-Scotland trains will come when the TP franchise is remodelled/relet in a couple of years.

I don't recall Bolton figuring on any plans before now.

I was adding one and one and doing a bit of guess work. Especially as they are due to be introduced the same time as Bolton get the wires up.
Maybe add some new 390/WC type trains and give the route to WC instead?

You mean Bolton not figuring in any plans for trains to London? Agreed, but its got to be good news for the town.

This just proves one thing... Very much like the ECML.

The DFT are not interested in what is best for the franchise, they are just interested in who will give them the most money!!

And how have you decided this?

Last edited:

PR1Berske

Established Member
I was adding one and one and doing a bit of guess work. Especially as they are due to be introduced the same time as Bolton get the wires up.
Maybe add some new 390/WC type trains and give the route to WC instead?

You mean Bolton not figuring in any plans for trains to London? Agreed, but its got to be good news for the town.

If they're right about Blackpool in 2013 and increased services to/from Preston, will this mean the 'missing out Wigan/Warrington/others' proposal we saw from Grand Central and others some time ago?

JamesM

So here's what I'm reading into this. Bad news for Lake District customers, this 15 minute improvement in journey times between London and Glasgow I wwould guess means far less direct services to London from, say, Oxenholme.

Essexman

Established Member
I assume this means First will lose Great Western. Hope that's not the end of Travelling Chef & Pullman Restaurants.
Seems to me like it's mostly change for changes sake - and at huge cost in rebranding etc.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
thebeardedone said:
We won the franchise in 1997 with an agenda to change radically the way people viewed and used the train. At the time the track was run-down, staff demoralised, the service riddled with delays and reliant on heavy subsidies.

Hmmm only one part true here.
The track was run down.

However I found ICWC staff always courteous, smiling and happy.

The delays happened mainly after Virgin took over and ran the 86s, 87s and 90s into the ground. I normally was on time when travelling ICWC.

Also what subsidies? Intercity was profitable.

JamesM

Also potentially slower services from Birmingham/Manchester as they realise it's very profitable to stop at Milton Keynes more often and continue offering a cheaper ticket as Virgin I think do at the moment.

rail-britain

Established Member
Bad news for Lake District customers, this 15 minute improvement in journey times between London and Glasgow I wwould guess means far less direct services to London from, say, Oxenholme.
That was always the plan, see the draft DfT timetable for the TransPennine services between Manchester and Scotland from 2014
Shouldn't be too long before the full draft timetable is available, confirming a reduction in the number of Glasgow - Birmingham services (due to overlap with the Glasgow - Manchester services)

RPI

Established Member
I assume this means First will lose Great Western.

Why? First are already working on their GW bid, just because they have won WC doesn't mean they cant have GW. I expect they will win GW as well.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'd like to see Virgin getting the East Coast franchise next year as it needs rejuvenated after years of upheaval..

From Richard Branson's press release:
"Based on the current flawed system, it is extremely unlikely that we would bid again for a franchise"
and the final riposte:
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. When will the Department for Transport learn"

It also doesn't mention a challenge to the West Coast award to First.
He also hopes First continue the improvements he started.
Looks like the end for Virgin Trains.

Zoe

Established Member
Why? First are already working on their GW bid, just because they have won WC doesn't mean they cant have GW. I expect they will win GW as well.
And I don't think it would be impossible for First to do the treble and also win East Coast.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Shouldn't be too long before the full draft timetable is available, confirming a reduction in the number of Glasgow - Birmingham services (due to overlap with the Glasgow - Manchester services)
There was a specific train service requirement between Birmingham and Scotland. I don't reducing the number of trains between Scotland and Birmingham and so forcing people to change is going to be helpful for encouraging rail travel.

Whistler40145

Established Member
What stock will be used on the Blackpool to London trains & will the service use electric trains after completion of electrification?

Zoe

Established Member
Afaik monopolies such as running both WCML and ECML are not allowed
This has been discussed quite a few times before and there is no evidence of a rule preventing the same company from holding the East Coast and West Coast franchises at the same time. The two routes serve diffrent markets and there is little overlap. Virgin were twice shortlisted for the East Coast franchise despite holding the West Coast franchise at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.