• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First win Intercity West Coast franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just been on BBC News, the government is to re-run the competition.

Having been a somewhat avid reader of this thread since inception, plus the reading of some good articles in the October 2012 issue of Modern Railways about the current debacle that has been the outcome of this sorry affair, nothing now surprises me that concerns the franchise arrangements of the WCML.

I was somewhat intrigued by the magazine comments about WCML areas south of Rugby not being the recipient of the same infrastructural benefits that accrue north of that location as part of financial stringencies to keep upgrading costs down in the past, which now lead to specific areas of speed reduction at certain locations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holly

So does anyone have views as to how DOR operation affects:
... the Office of Rail Regulation’s announcement that it must await a 'full recast of the timetable' before considering whether or not Open Access Operators can serve destinations along the West Coast Main Line. ...
Grand Central had proposed introducing its North Western service between Blackpool North and London
Since both First and Virgin promised a direct Blackpool - London service, I'm not sure what space there would be for any Open Access, regardless of who won?
DOR is unlikely (?) to introduce Blackpool service; and DOR isn't Virgin or First.
So isn't this a perfect storm time for Grand Central to pursue its OA application to run Blackpool and Hartford services?

I can only say this a is a complete mess up. Fine Virgin get another chance but it will be a expensive mistake for the tax payer.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As the franchise decision has been overturned, and this has turned into an amazingly huge thread, I am locking this. Please continue discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.