FirstGroup: Operations improvement, Shares and Survival

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by overthewater, 23 May 2012.

1. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

It seems growth has been very poor on the uk bus front and it seems there planing to sell off alot quicker.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/may/23/first-group-selling-uk-bus-divisions?newsfeed=true

Last edited: 31 Aug 2013
  2. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

I wonder what this will mean for First's south wales operations then.

That said if First do sell the south wales operations I expect Stagecoach to take the opportunity to take over the operation in Bridgend and Neath Valley both of which are within easy acess to the main depots in Porth or Aberdare/Cwmbach

3. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

What of the Swansea ftr scheme? If First were to pull out of Wales, would the City Council then have to subcontract it out to another group, in contrast to the ftr scheme being part of a deal between Wright and First?

Elsewhere, I think we safely say that Northampton are on the hit-list. In which case we'll have our bendies back thank you <(

4. overthewater

5. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

6. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

I wonder if more First operations in West Yorkshire will finish up being Centrebus operations.

Incidentally, I heard Stagecoach Manchester aren't performing well either.

Like I suggested in another thread people are walking shorter distances due to the higher fares and I wonder if lowering fares may actually increase profits as more people may travel.

7. Nym

Nym Established Member

Please, please, please have First GM Buses North be broken up and sold off to JPT, Maytree and South Lancs Travel :D

8. MK Tom

MK Tom Established Member

Still no mention of Northampton... They claim they're not selling it but also claim they're not giving it the new colour scheme. Sense made not.

9. overthewater

First Edinburgh is also not getting that scheme at the moment. I think we can guess what going to get sold off if we follow the pattens,

Manchester and West Yorkshire: Getting new buses and scheme shortly.
    Can any say if York or Chester is getting any buses painted?

10. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Which areas haven't got new ticket machines yet? First have been installing the same new ticket machines across the country so that smartcards can be used. If an area doesn't have or aren't getting new ticket machines, then maybe that area is intended to be sold off.

First Manchester installed their new ticket machines in February, which replaced machines that were only a few years old. On the other hand, I went to Fareham on Saturday and they were still using old Wayfarer 3 machines.

11. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

We have got new ticket machines on First cymru although I know of at least 1 bus running around with a wayfarer 2.

That said the almex machine I dont like I still prefer the lastest wayfarers as they are a lot easier and quicker to use

12. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

Well, they'd hardly be likely to part with that, I'd have thought, since they've just launched this new Eclipse or Enigma or whatever it's called service on that new busway, haven't they?

13. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

True, I was actually sampling the busway at the time! I thought it was odd, though, that they were still using those old dot matrix ticket machines which must be getting on for 20 years old now.

14. Polarbear

Polarbear Established Member

There aren't any repainted vehicles at Chester or Birkenhead that I've seen. I would imagine the Chester & Wirral operation would be a contender to be sold off as other than route 1 (Chester - Liverpool), it doesn't appear to make lots of money.

The fact that most of the vehicles used are cast off's from elsewhere & much older than most other operators in the area use (especially Arriva who seem to have lots of money for new vehicles in Merseyside), seems to confirm this.

15. overthewater

I have heard talk that the following areas are the most likely area to get sold off are:

* Edinburgh
    * York
    * Northampton
    * Chester

Yorkshire, Manchester and most of the south safe.

16. 90019

90019 Established Member

That's already started.

Dalkeith doesn't have very long left now.

17. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

Please get first out of Norwich!

18. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

The speculation does make me wonder about York (since they gained ex South Yorkshire Geminis to replace the ftrs - the Geminis would be much more "standard" for any new operator to inherit if the York operations were to be flogged off).

York isn't linked to any other First operations (compared to the potential confusion if they sold off part of their West Yorkshire routes, since the four main areas there are linked up), it may suit Stagecoach, given their successes in Oxford and Cambridge (similar operating territory, congested central streets, P&Rs, tourists etc).

Also, whilst many in South Yorkshire have speculated about the old Mainline operations being sold on (little investment, many routes cut, surrendering market share to Stagecoach etc), we have seen repainted buses (albeit four/five year old ones, but at least rebranded in the new livery) and we do have new ticket machines. Then again, since First don't sell off mid-life vehicles, they'll need *somewhere* for the redundant buses that they plan to run into the ground to operate... :p

I doubt Centrebus would have the pockets to buy anything from First. Maybe they'll win some more fringe routes that WY Metro tender of course.

19. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

good riddence to bad rubbish I say. Defo must be something in the roomers Livi's going plus another FSE Depot.
    Maybe Dumbarton too

20. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

I think this may explain a lot:

They expected people to continue as before on higher fares as though nothing had happened. Whoops. You raise fares, some people will try alternatives. It's obvious. Did they really not consider this...?