• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FirstGroup's Great Western franchise in 'fares U-turn'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
LONDON (Thomson Financial) - FirstGroup PLC's controversial rail franchise First Great Western (FGW) will refund passengers after imposing higher-than-allowed increases on some of its season tickets, according to a rail watchdog.

FGW has accepted that it incorrectly calculated some of the fare rises that it imposed in January and has agreed to reimburse travellers it has overcharged since the beginning of the month, London Travelwatch said.

The move could save passengers travelling from at least 15 stations in parts of the Thames Valley as much as 140 stg a year, the watchdog said.

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/01/21/afx4553457.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
I think FGW should pay a £20 penalty to each customer, or twice the extra value they charged illegally, whichever is greater. ;)

mark7144

When you read "fares U-turn" it's easy to get excited - you might think FGW have come to their senses and gone back on their absolutely outrageous price increases. But no, the only story here is they made a mistake with their pricing for a few journeys and now they've fixed it. Hooray.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My season ticket went up by 9.8% this month - but will actually go down next month due to poor performance?

I was under the impression my Monthly season was regulated. Is this covered?

Tom C

My season ticket went up by 9.8% this month - but will actually go down next month due to poor performance?

I would keep an eye on the peformance discounts (5% for punctuality, 5% for reliability or 10% for both). Many TOC's have changed to "Delay Repay" whereby you receive refunds on specific incidents. If you live on a line where the service is horrific then you will benefit from it although if your service is fairly good then you will find you don't benefit at all as your delay has to be 30 minutes or more before you enter the refund zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.