• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fish & Chip Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The sea surrounds this little island. Someone in Blackpool would be nearer than someone in Watford lol

MK is about as far from the sea as you can get (though apparently the village of Coton in Derbyshire is further). I don't think that's what sets it, though, it's just what people are willing to pay (or rather they can get away with charging).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Indeed. No restaurant, however posh, does it better than an actual chippy. I wonder if any other country's national dish is like that, where the best form of it is one obtained relatively cheaply in a definitely-not-classy establishment?

It's the same for a fry-up - the best ones are obtained from ramshackle greasy transport cafes, though there are increasingly few of them.

Frites in Belgium are always best from a chippy, I went to one in Antwerp which sold the best chips I have ever eaten

gordonthemoron

Established Member
MK is about as far from the sea as you can get (though apparently the village of Coton in Derbyshire is further). I don't think that's what sets it, though, it's just what people are willing to pay (or rather they can get away with charging).

The chips from our chippy in Willen aren't anything special, but the Haddock is brilliant, better than I've ever had anywhere

Tracked

Established Member
It's all very well comparing prices, but what amount of Fish and Chips does it relate to? It's usually just over £5 at my preferred local chippy, which gets enough to more than fill a normal sized plate, but they also do a smaller version that has a smaller fish and less chips (I like both from there, so go for the larger option) for about £4 which probably wouldn't involve the fish dangling over the edges of the plate or the chips threatening to spill off.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Mine sell "Mini fish and chips" which is the cheap one, it fills a plate to overflowing. God knows what the non-mini one is like.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I wonder how well the price of fish and chips correlates with the price of a pint! And with house prices etc.
The reality is the cost of living is hugely different across the country. That shouldn't really be that surprising, but it still is to most.
My dad especially can't understand why I would be £10 for a roast dinner as it is only around £6 back where I grew up. Where I live now - you'd be lucky to get a sandwich in a cafe or pub for that these days!

Where I grew up in South Wales, fish and chips is around £6 to £7. Where I lived in Bath, you'd be talking £8 to £10. Where I am now in Bristol - it is bloody weird because you can get some really cheap ones and some really expensive ones, but the ones that are either close to where I live or deliver are around £7 to £9.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A fiver up the road here in St Albans - and superlative quality and generous portions too. For five of us - 3 portions are plenty with a beef and onion pie as a top up.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In Bradford, the local chippy did it for under four quid. A decent portion, the right amount, but not loads.

The best chippy, and one I miss, is Harbour View in Seaton Sluice. About £8.50, but the portion of cod is so big they have to break it in half to fit it in the cardboard box. So pound-per-pound, it's probably cheaper than the £3-odd meals.

Here it's still about eight quid, the portion is smaller, the fish is quite thin and overall it's surprisingly mediocre. But you can order chips, cheese and gravy and not get funny looks.

route101

Established Member
Was about £6 odds on the Isle of Wight last week , as a Scot , was my first Southern chippy . I find Fish and Chips tastes different in England , not sure exactly but the batter is tastier in Scotland.

I find Fish and Chips pretty good value as it fills you up.

East of Scotland is good for chippies , Glasgow less so.

baz962

Established Member
Down the road from me in Luton , the Wigmore chippy is awesome . It's won awards and has a little restaurant area , as well as being quite a large chippy. I love the fish and chips there. Visited Beamish living museum , up near Newcastle upon Tyne and they do the chips in proper dripping , how it was done in the old day's and were spot on .

py_megapixel

Established Member
Don't know if this is standard but my local chippy does a regular fish and chips and a large one, I think the regular is about £5

I don't like fish so I tend to just buy chips, for around £2

takno

Established Member
Was about £6 odds on the Isle of Wight last week , as a Scot , was my first Southern chippy . I find Fish and Chips tastes different in England , not sure exactly but the batter is tastier in Scotland.

I'm the opposite. The batter in Scotland is generally too salty and crispy for my midland tastes, and the chippy sauce thing is just evil!

I used to have a chippy most weeks in Edinburgh before my local one failed to make it through lockdown. I generally make a point of having some while I'm in England though, just to get something more to my tastes.

As I recall, the best fish anywhere used to be in a fish butty from the chippy under the dark arches in Leeds. Perfect after a Saturday night at the Cockpit.

Spamcan81

Down south chippies tend to use cod but it's mostly haddock in Scotland. That's one explanation for a difference in flavour.

Spamcan81

I run a chippy so I'm finding this thread very interesting. I'm in Bedfordshire and regular fish and chips in my shop is £5.30.

johntea

Established Member
Park Road Fisheries in Bingley is a favourite of mine, they must be having a nightmare at the moment as the shop certainly can't maintain social distancing should any more than 1 customer turn up :D

Now I work in Starbeck so the only real option is Drake's which is expensive (it just seemed to shoot up in price a year or so ago!) and very hit and miss as they seem to have quite a high turnover of staff, oddly the Knaresborough branch is much more consistent quality

PaulMc7

Established Member
Think the lowest I've seen near me for a fish and chips is £5.80. Seems to range from that to £7.50/8 from what I've seen. Not actually been in too many chippys in Glasgow for a while though so some others may be cheaper

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Where I live in western Surrey, you're looking at a fairly consistent £7.50ish for a small cod and chips (£5.50+£2.00), or £9-10 for large (£7+£3).

Around £1.20-50 for curry sauce, mushy peas or gravy.

One local place is £11 for their large cod and chips, but it's the biggest fish I've ever seen. A couple of occasions they've run out and given me two regular cods instead!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm around £7 for a fish supper (haddock) here. Since lockdown, our local hotel has being doing takeaways, and their fish and chips is far superior to that which is produced in the chippy up the road. It's slightly dearer, but an extra 50p isn't going to upset me if the quality is better.

bearhugger

I paid £7.30 for take out Cod & Chips in Whitby this week.
Obviously not the restaurant part of the Magpie Cafe then. It's roughly double that, that's why I always use the takeaway part next to the restaurant steps.
In Bridlington just next to the harbour there's a chippy called Ward's, the fish is big enough to hang over both sides of the takeaway tray and I struggled to finish the chips. Quite reasonably priced too from what I remember.
A lot of chippies in my area do small & large portions of chips & the same for fish. Sometime I ak for a large fish and small chips. Prices vary between around £5 - £7 in Middlesbrough.

Stuwhu

Obviously not the restaurant part of the Magpie Cafe then. It's roughly double that, that's why I always use the takeaway part next to the restaurant steps.

We went to Trenchers(I think),opposite the station.
Its amazing how in Whitby every chippy advertises it has won some kind of "chippy of the year" award/accolade, I'm sure of the awards are either made up or have one entry.

Last edited:

Bobdogs

One and six (seven and a half p) from Bedders in Hay Mills when I was a lad.
Local caff in the village is £5.10, huge cod and plenty of chips
£7.90 in nearby harbour town. Soggy chips and average cod.

Status
Not open for further replies.