• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fish & Chip Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Without hopefully taking the thread too off topic (as if?! ;) ), whilst you can usually get a decent "fish supper" North of the Border (i.e. fish together with chips) I've never quite understood (or appreciated) the predilection towards pies being deep-fried in Scotland. (It invariably makes the pie pastry as tough as old leather!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
Without hopefully taking the thread too off topic (as if?! ;) ), whilst you can usually get a decent "fish supper" North of the Border (i.e. fish together with chips) I've never quite understood (or appreciated) the predilection towards pies being deep-fried in Scotland. (It invariably makes the pie pastry as tough as old leather!)
To be honest I think we just have an obsession with deep-frying anything. Although I’ve still never had a deep-fried Mars bar myself. (I do intend to have one at some point though :))

Crossover

Established Member
Had a chippy tea in Scarborough last week which was just under £6 for a ‘regular’ portion and the fish was haddock, I recall. Very nice it was too with nice crispy batter. The downside is it comes with it’s very own mob of gulls :rolleyes:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Also the case at Whitby! (Other gull-ridden seaside locations are available).

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
My local town (Dumfries) has a horrible gull problem, and we're miles from the sea. The river combined with the nearby chip shops and takeaway food places makes it a prime location for them to find a snack sadly. Means we have a lot of successful eat in cafes and very few popular successful takeaway locations in the town centre.

BanburyBlue

One and six (seven and a half p) from Bedders in Hay Mills when I was a lad.
Local caff in the village is £5.10, huge cod and plenty of chips
£7.90 in nearby harbour town. Soggy chips and average cod.
I remember you could get a bag of chips for 5p - this would be very early 70’s. I also remember the signs that use to say ‘frying new potatoes’.

BanburyBlue

I find the batter in Scotland thicker and softer , more orange colour to it , actually i love chippy sauce , i live in Glasgow so just salt and vinegar here. I noticed in England they tend keep the skin on the fish.

The scottish chippy menu seems more extensive with all the suppers. Down in England , its a chip butty rather than roll n chips.
What is chippy sauce?

SteveM70

Established Member
First trip to the chip shop tonight since I moved house in March. Two lots of fish and chips, one large beans (me), one large gravy (eldest son with strange taste).

£10.20

SteveM70

Established Member
I also remember the signs that use to say ‘frying new potatoes’.

I remember those, and most Saturdays (we always had chippy tea on a Saturday) my dad would return with the grub and announce “he’s still got that sign up. New potatoes must be old by now”

Randomer

To be honest I think we just have an obsession with deep-frying anything. Although I’ve still never had a deep-fried Mars bar myself. (I do intend to have one at some point though :))

I actually quite like deep fried pizza* (not a panzerotti which I like as well), especially with the under side of the base lightly battered. Only a very very occasional treat though I'm pretty sure a 9" pizza supper has more calories than my daily allowance in total.

* It always amused me that a place near where I worked occasionally in Edinburgh actually made reasonable fresh pizza but kept a stock of rubbish pre-made frozen ones for frying because they had to be frozen.

Disappointingly my nearest local chippy isn't close to being walk-able from home which puts me off trying it, only pizza/generic takeaway shops close by.

takno

Established Member
What is chippy sauce?
An evil mix of brown sauce and non-brewed condiment. Always liberally applied with salt. Basically like having manky bitter-tasting slime all over literally the whole meal. Quite the local delicacy

Trackman

Established Member
Cod & Chips.
Bolton about £7
SE London £10.
The fish and batter is better down south but no gravy etc..
Reminds me of a story when I visited a chippy in Portsmouth with my brother-
He said 'Pudding, Chips peas and Gravy and any scraps if you've got them', the bloke behind the counter stared at him and said 'You're from up North, Manchester?' I was in stitches. Then my brother said 'without gravy then!' and so on... I drove him to a chinese chippy and had sausage chips and curry.. it was a very long time ago, but I can see this blokes face behind the counter when he ordered!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Interesting to hear the different names and ways in which they work on here, by “chippy sauce” I’m assuming you mean the hastily thrown together curry sauce which goes very nicely with the chips?

Also am I right in saying that in England, you don’t have “suppers”, but simply order separately? That’s a huge shock to the system, I thought suppers were the norm everywhere!

takno

Established Member
Interesting to hear the different names and ways in which they work on here, by “chippy sauce” I’m assuming you mean the hastily thrown together curry sauce which goes very nicely with the chips?

Also am I right in saying that in England, you don’t have “suppers”, but simply order separately? That’s a huge shock to the system, I thought suppers were the norm everywhere!
It's still priced and packaged as singles and suppers in most places in England. It's just that neither of those words is used.

The other thing that took some getting used to I. Edinburgh was that literally everywhere used to stick a polystyrene tray in there. I was used to getting the food dished up straight onto a bit of greaseproof and then wrapped up in the not-newspaper.

BanburyBlue

An evil mix of brown sauce and non-brewed condiment. Always liberally applied with salt. Basically like having manky bitter-tasting slime all over literally the whole meal. Quite the local delicacy
I take it you’re not a fan then . I do like curry sauce with my chips.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’ve never heard of this “chippy sauce” before (maybe I’m uncultured :lol:)

What is it?

BanburyBlue

Sounds like chippy sauce is not the (gorgeous) curry sauce, that as you say, goes very nicely with chips.

And yes correct. I’ve never seen a fish supper advertised anywhere i’ve visited in England. You order ‘x’ and chips. My local chippy does have fish and chips on their menu, but it is exactly the same price as ordering them separately.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
It seems some use it as the name for curry sauce. We wouldn't call it 'chippy sauce' here though, we'd ask for curry.
I think it may be a reference to the East of Scotland “Salt and Sauce” which I like. I think it’s like vinegar with a wee bit of brown sauce in it. No idea what actually makes it up but that’s my guess.

Edit! I see you were referring to something else and someone has answered the Scottish sauce question. Good to see I was almost right! Anyone know the mix percentage so I can make some?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I remember those, and most Saturdays (we always had chippy tea on a Saturday) my dad would return with the grub and announce “he’s still got that sign up. New potatoes must be old by now”

I saw such a sign last week in Southwold

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Whilst I do enjoy a fish supper, I generally prefer to go for sausage or pudding suppers. Are these offered down in England as well? I never realised how differently some of the chippies are run compared to up here!

MotCO

Established Member
We went to Trenchers(I think),opposite the station.
Its amazing how in Whitby every chippy advertises it has won some kind of "chippy of the year" award/accolade, I'm sure of the awards are either made up or have one entry.

I'm not sure how your chippy has won the award since our chippy (Orpington / Petts Wood borders) says they won it :lol::lol:. Mind you, they do the best cod I have known, and it is consistently good. I even phoned them once to complement them, which I've never done before.

However, it is at the upper end of the price scale - around £9 for cod and chips, but well worth it.

Darandio

Established Member
Whilst I do enjoy a fish supper, I generally prefer to go for sausage or pudding suppers. Are these offered down in England as well? I never realised how differently some of the chippies are run compared to up here!

Assuming it's battered sausage and chips then yes. If the other is battered black pudding and chips then no, at least not in my part of the world.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Only half an answer, but I saw a takeaway in Swaffham this week advertising a portion of chips for 65p.

And some say Norfolk is stuck in the past...

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Alas the chip shops down here for the non fish eating are extremely poor in quality and options. The south east being the worst for crap pies and meatless sausages. The North have decent pies but the choice in Scotland is far better with odd nice exceptions such as Alnwick iirc.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I cannot understand why so many people seem to like mushy peas with their chips. In my opinion, lightly cooked peas are much more tasty & enjoyable. Over-boiling tends to turn vegetables into tasteless (or even foul-tasting) slush -- the sort of stuff that made me avoid old-style school dinners .

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Assuming it's battered sausage and chips then yes. If the other is battered black pudding and chips then no, at least not in my part of the world.
That's such a shame!

Please don't tell me you English are deprived of the utter beauty that is a Haggis supper? Can't beat one ;):D

Status
Not open for further replies.