• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fish & Chip Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
Whilst I do enjoy a fish supper, I generally prefer to go for sausage or pudding suppers. Are these offered down in England as well? I never realised how differently some of the chippies are run compared to up here!
You'll usually get battered sausage (smaller ones only), and often saveloy which looks like smoked sausage but might well not be that similar. Chicken and mushroom and steak and kidney pies are pretty common but not universal, and never deep fried. Depending on region curry sauce, peas, beans and gravy are often available and kept warm so no need to microwave.

Edinburgh/east of Scotland chippies are probably more different than chippies in the rest of Scotland Scotland, but the battered burgers, king ribs, white pudding, chipsteaks and haggises are all quite characteristically Scottish

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
I would disagree with this statement. It purely depends on your lifestyle and what you want to buy and how you live your life.

Discounting property prices, my cost of living in London is cheaper than family who live in the north. I do not spend thousands running a car, I have a wide choice of local chain and independent restaurants and supermarkets charge the same price nationwide. I rarely visit pubs which is the other noticeable difference.

Although the cost of your lifestyle may be cheaper, it is definitely cheaper to food shop in Sunderland than London. One example I remember is that the self same loaf of bread in Tesco's was 90p in Sunderland, but £1.00 in the London suburbs.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Although the cost of your lifestyle may be cheaper, it is definitely cheaper to food shop in Sunderland than London. One example I remember is that the self same loaf of bread in Tesco's was 90p in Sunderland, but £1.00 in the London suburbs.
This is a common myth. In normal Supermarkets then the prices are fixed nationwide. Local/Express shops will vary however this but this is dependent on nearby competition and other factors and not reflective of location.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43979167 for more

Darandio

Established Member
That's such a shame!

Please don't tell me you English are deprived of the utter beauty that is a Haggis supper? Can't beat one ;):D

We certainly are deprived of it and I wouldn't want one! I'd certainly go for black pudding though, a fried breakfast isn't a breakfast for me without it so i'd be quite happy having one battered with chips.

You'll usually get battered sausage (smaller ones only),

Now here it would be the other way around, larger ones with smaller being the rarity.

takno

Established Member
Now here it would be the other way around, larger ones with smaller being the rarity.
I'm starting to think I have that the wrong way round in general. Not something I usually order tbh

soccermad

Fish is £4 here with med chips £1.95 being enough for two people (Mini Fish is £2.10 but very small)

Yummy though

route101

Established Member
Had a white pudding supper in Dundee yesterday. Dont see that in Glasgow chippies.

route101

Established Member
I think it’s around £6 or so around me although maybe slightly more if I go into Edinburgh. I do like a deep-fried pizza occasionally as well though - but usually go for fish & chips.
Whatever I go for though it’s got to be with chippy sauce, there’s nothing nicer. I’m always disappointed when I’m through in the west of Scotland and it’s salt and vinegar.

Do you get chippy sauce in East Lothian?

I love chippy sauce , love getting a chippy in Edinburgh. Glasgow , i avoid that Blue Lagoon chain , always off fishy smell.

I like the deep fried pizza too.

najaB

Veteran Member
This is a common myth. In normal Supermarkets then the prices are fixed nationwide.
That's not entirely true. The big supermarkets tend to have the same pricing nationally, but that's by choice and for their convenience rather than because they have to. There are products that differ in price - for example minimum unit pricing in Scotland means that alcohol is cheaper in England.

BanburyBlue

I love chippy sauce , love getting a chippy in Edinburgh. Glasgow , i avoid that Blue Lagoon chain , always off fishy smell.

I’ve never had the pleasure of deep fried pizza, didn’t Kevin Bridges call it Pizza Crunch? So is it just a pizza that is deep fried, or is it dipped in batter first?

scotrail158713

Established Member

Yeah we get chippy sauce in East Lothian. Cannae beat it! :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yeah we get chippy sauce in East Lothian. Cannae beat it! :)
Is "Chippy sauce" effectively what you would get when you try to swill out the remaining contents of a HP Sauce bottle (N.B. other brown sauces are available) with a bit of malt vinegar?

scotrail158713

Established Member
Is "Chippy sauce" effectively what you would get when you try to swill out the remaining contents of a HP Sauce bottle (N.B. other brown sauces are available) with a bit of malt vinegar?
As I understand it it’s brown sauce watered down with vinegar. It doesn’t sound, or look for that matter, very appealing, but on a fresh portion of anything from the chippy it’s lovely.

Darandio

Established Member
As I understand it it’s brown sauce watered down with vinegar. It doesn’t sound, or look for that matter, very appealing, but on a fresh portion of anything from the chippy it’s lovely.

Interestingly, the owner of Bertie's in Edinburgh says the following:

“Chippy sauce is made with onions, spices, sultanas and other fruits,”

“Chippy sauce is just HP Sauce made thinner through less reduction,”

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Jimmy's Chip Shop, Sandon Road, Meir, Stoke-on-Trent.
99.9% excellent. In nearly 30 years, I once had some chips that were kept too long after being cooked - it was at dinner/lunch time and close to closing time.
£4.60 Small fish meal - small fish (larger than a frozen supermarket fillet so quite adequate), chips, peas or gravy, in a box to keep it warm.
£6.40 Large fish meal - as above but a larger fish in a bigger box so more chips.
Non meal prices I can't remember but items are priced individually and with various specials. A normal portion of chips is far too many for one person to reasonably eat.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The chippy that I frequent up here in North Tyneside does everything separately but with a bit of maths...

£3.40 for a Cod bite & chips (essentially a small fish)
£5.10 for a standard portion
£7.10 for a large portion (definitely enough for two!)

Established Member
Without hopefully taking the thread too off topic (as if?! ;) ), whilst you can usually get a decent "fish supper" North of the Border (i.e. fish together with chips) I've never quite understood (or appreciated) the predilection towards pies being deep-fried in Scotland. (It invariably makes the pie pastry as tough as old leather!)
They deep fry PIES up there...?!!

And I thought Wigan folk were wierd (well...) for sticking them in a barm!

scotrail158713

Established Member
Sorry, now confused (but I have been drinking ‍♂). What do you mean crunch variety. Is there a non-crunch variety?
I think (not 100% sure though) that the crunch variety is covered in the batter, like fish is, and then goes in the fryer. Whereas the non-crunch variety is just put straight in the fryer - this is the type that I’ve had whenever I’ve had a deep-fried pizza.

Dore & Totley

Just back from Beadnell and went to Seahouses for food. 3 X cod and chips was £21. Very nice as well. Tons of chips.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Regarding chippy sauce, I never really took to it. We used to have neighbours who came from Edinburgh and they were most upset that it wasn't available in these northern parts. I always used to ask for salt and vinegar in Edinburgh, with mixed results; sometimes they were more than happy to oblige and on other occasions you would have thought I had two heads!

Haggis suppers can be hit or miss, as can black puddings, but it all really comes down to the supplier. I've had some really good pudding suppers and some not so great. I've yet to try a white or red pudding, so I can't comment on those.

Deep fried pies and pizzas? Er, no thanks. o_O

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Two of the North-West traditional fish and chip establishments that I can recommend for both eat-in and take-away meals are the New Chippery in Wigan town centre and the Altrincham Fish Bar opposite the market.

Has anyone ever tried Rag Pudding, that I recently saw advertised in Ashton-under-Lyne?

Butts

Veteran Member
Regarding chippy sauce, I never really took to it. We used to have neighbours who came from Edinburgh and they were most upset that it wasn't available in these northern parts. I always used to ask for salt and vinegar in Edinburgh, with mixed results; sometimes they were more than happy to oblige and on other occasions you would have thought I had two heads!

Haggis suppers can be hit or miss, as can black puddings, but it all really comes down to the supplier. I've had some really good pudding suppers and some not so great. I've yet to try a white or red pudding, so I can't comment on those.

Deep fried pies and pizzas? Er, no thanks. o_O

One of the finest chip shops in Scotland in my view, is Lindas Chippy in Cullen, just a little across from you.

The "salt and sauce" is an acquired taste.

Agree that haggis and black pudding are both better sans batter.

Trackman

Established Member
Has anyone ever tried Rag Pudding, that I recently saw advertised in Ashton-under-Lyne?
My late Uncle loved them, basically it's/was a square pudding (suet and meat inside) wrapped in a rag and boiled in water.
*Edit* just googled- wrapped in cheesecloth hence the 'rag'

alexf380

Established Member
It was just under £10 for a fish supper and single smoked sausage on Friday night (also East Lothian) and that surprised me a touch! Didn't think it got up that high in these parts.
Chippy sauce is heavenly. End of discussion. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.