• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FQ's trips around the globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi all, I have decided to start a thread specifically for my trip reports. I will put my first 2 in here, and add more, but don't expect loads as I won't be able (or no point) to do some.

Day 1, Pen-y-ffordd - Chester

After a fairly good night sleep at my granny's in Pen-y-ffordd, my phone alarm rang at 07:45 on the 1st of August 2014. I got out of bed, got dressed and grabbed a couple of slices of toast in the kitchen and ate them before getting my train-spotting books and camera ready for the day I had ahead. My mum had volunteered to drive me down to Pen-y-ffordd station for the 09:08 train to Wrexham, my first move of the day, but she over-slept so my granny taken me instead. Pen-y-ffordd station is a little shack on the borderlands line with a signal box and a barrow crossing. My train to Wrexham General, 150284, rolled in five minutes late at 09:13 and departed a minute later. For people who haven't traveled on the borderlands line south of Pen-y-ffordd, it is an utter stagger because there being so many stations on the route, taking nineteen minutes (if perfectly on time) to go 6 miles and 70 chains. I arrived at Wrexham General at 09:31 and after getting off the train and walking over the bridge onto platform 1, I bought a child return to Ruabon at the ticket office, but having already bought my return from Penyffordd-Chester on 150284, I didn't need to buy another ticket so I waited for the train to Ruabon, the 09:42 to Cardiff Central, hoping I would make my tight plus there.

My train arrived in at 09:42, formed of a 2 car 175, 175007. I boarded the far coach and walked through the train looking for a seat, which was surprisingly easy because there weren’t many people on the train. This was my first time on a class 175 and, thinking it would be a horrible journey, I quite liked it. The seats were quite comfy, the underfloor engine wasn't loud and the guard was very quick at checking tickets. I leaped off at Ruabon and ran over the footbridge onto platform 1. I then strolled down the platform, since my train wasn't in yet, a bit and stopped. Upon seeing what was coming around the bend at the end of the station, my blood froze. 158825 had pulled in to the drizzly station of Ruabon on the 09:54 service to Holyhead, my train to Chester. Having traveled on an ATW 158 before, and hating it, I groaned and reluctantly boarded. I had to stand in a cramped vestibule all the way to Chester and to make things worse, all the way there was a high pitched noise in the unit. The guard came down the train but only sold people tickets if they needed them, he didn't check tickets at all. I was very glad when I got off at Chester and away from the 158. I walked over the bridge from platform 4b to the barriers where I shown the man there my ticket from Pen-y-ffordd to Chester and he let me through. I then walked to the ticket office and waited for about 5 minutes in the queue before being served. I bought a Merseyrail all areas saveaway, £2.50 for a child, and decided to go to Bache. I walked over to platform 7b to see that 508140 was leaving on the 10:31 to Liverpool Central so I had to wait 15 minutes.

15 minutes passed and I boarded the 10:45 train, 507028 to go to Bache, passing Chester 175 Alstom depot on the way, which had a few units there and then a few sidings with rusted rails before arriving at Bache. I got off the train and wandered over the footbridge, looking at how easy the Morrisons opposite the station was to get to as I was planning to go there for lunch. I then walked down onto the other platform and strolled along it, with 3 minutes to spare. My train came in and I boarded it, able to get a seat for the 3 minute ride back to Chester, which ended up being 6 minutes on 507007. I jumped off at Chester on platform 7b and looked over at platform 3b at Chester to see 175112 leaving on a Llandudno bound train. I began to walk down platform 7, towards the Northern Rail part of Chester where I saw 2 class 150s sat in the 2 platforms, 1 ready to work the slightly delayed 10:59 service to Manchester Piccadilly and the other just sat in platform 5 doing nothing. I walked back to platform 7b and waited for the 11:11 arrival from Liverpool, but it arrived at 11:09. I boarded the train, 507005 ready to do it back to Bache. We left on time and arrived at Bache right time. Again I went over the footbridge and down onto platform 1. My train came in, 508134 and taken me back to Chester. I stayed on 508134 back out to Bache, as I was planning to catch the 11:55 train to Crewe and needed to kill some time. It arrived to Bache, where instead of strolling, I sprinted across the footbridge and made the +1 back to Chester on 508108. I then ran over the bridge at Chester and down onto platform 3 before walking up to platform 1 where 150242 arrived to take me to Crewe. I boarded the 150, noting the rank smell of the toilets. By the time we left Chester the train still had seats available, and definitely would for the rest of the journey to Crewe, as there were no more stations along the line. The main reason I had decided to take the 150 was because I needed the class 60s sat at Crewe Electric, and I would enjoy seeing what ever else was there and at the Heritage centre. Having only ever been on class 150s on the Borderlands line, where there are stops every 4 minutes (average, some 3 some 5), I loved going at 75 miles per hour towards Crewe, where I saw the class 60s and my last Arriva Trains Wales class 67, 67003. I then got out of my current seat and went in the one opposite, which was free, to view Crewe Heritage Centre. A few steam engines were there, including 60009 Union of South Africa, which was in steam. We arrived at Crewe and everyone but me got off the train and headed for the exits. I moved back over to the other side and got another facing window before loads of people boarded and took up every other seat, including the one next to me. There were about 3 people standing in the doorway nearest to me and another 3 in the other doorway of the coach. As we set off back towards Chester I stood up to see Crewe Heritage Centre again, as I missed the number of one of the steamies on the way into Crewe. I then sat down and put my head next to the window, which was vibrating like hell, and saw the first row of rusty, demic class 90s at Crewe Electric, which looked like they were ready to be scrapped. I then stood up to see over the depot wall, where I saw a load of Class 92s and 90s. It surprised me at how it was built up around Crewe and then how the train goes under a bridge and we are in the countryside. It was also strange at how the second we went into the countryside each way, the rain hammered down but when we reached Chester or Crewe the rain stopped.

I baled off of the 150 at Chester, exactly an hour after leaving, and walked over to platform 7b. By then I had got all of the 507s and 508s for haulage, that day on the Chester line, excluding 508140 which I had missed earlier in the day. According to my stomach lunchtime had rolled round so it was off to Morrisons opposite Bache station. My auntie goes to the cafe there a lot with my cousins so I knew that the food was good. When I got over to platform 7 I saw that the next Merseyrail unit was due at 13:01 so I walked back up to the Northern Rail section and saw 2 class 150s, 150146 was still there. I got my camera out and took a picture of the other, 150205, before walking back down the platform to get the Merseyrail unit to Bache. It came in on time with 508134, curses, the third time for haulage in 1 day. But my tummy was rumbling and wanted lunch as soon as possible so I boarded anyway and in 3 minutes was at Bache.

I ate my lunch, an all day breakfast, before walking back up onto Bache station. I looked at the departure board on platform 1, only to find out that the 13:52 service to Chester was expected at 13:59. I walked over to platform 2, 8 minutes before the 13:48 to Liverpool was due, so I decided that if it were 508140 I would do it to Hooton. It rolled in as 507028 so I hit my head as that meant if I had got to the station a few minutes earlier, 508140 would have been on the train calling at Hooton. Deciding to flag doing 507028 to Hooton, I walked back over the footbridge and waited another 10 minutes to go back to Chester on 507007. I arrived back at Chester at 14:02, where I hopped off and checked the departure board between platform 7 and 4. It said there was no trains between the train I had just came in on and the next Merseyrail so I just lingered around platform 7 waiting for the unit to come in that would form the 14:15 to Liverpool Central. The train arrived at 14:12, as 507005, so I boarded and got a seat at the very front of the train. We left Bache on time and started to pick up speed, darting along at 75 miles per hour. A couple of minutes before we arrived at Capenhurst, 508134 shot by on a train to Chester (thank god it won't be my one back). I arrived at Hooton just as 508108 was leaving towards Chester, so I wandered over the bridge and into the little shelter on the Chester and Ellesmere Port bound platform. I had a bit more of my drink I bought at Morrisons before going outside the shelter as the 14:42 service to Chester arrived as 508140.

I leaped on, a grin on my face and decided to do it back to Chester, even though Capenhurst is a winner station. The reason I wanted to do it back to Chester is because if I did it to Capenhurst, I would need to take the 11:54 train back up to Hooton, which I knew would be 508134. I arrived at Chester on time, at 14:56. Whilst doing my plans to get to Chester, I had also worked out moves to get me to Helsby for an Ellesmere Port bound class 70 by taking the 15:46 175 to Helsby and then the 16:41 175 back to Chester. I decided to stick with those times so I spent and hour taking photos at Chester before making my way over to platform 4a for 14:45. I rolled my eyes as I looked at the departure board again, to see my train to Helsby was 10 minutes late. I waited the 10 minutes saying to myself it had better be a 175 as I had seen a pair of 158s on a Llandudno-Manchester train earlier and there was a single 158 on a Llandudno train earlier as well. I was relived when 175113 rolled in but in the end I didn't really like the journey, mainly because it was heaving on departure from Chester. People were completely blocking the passage instead of attempting to cramp into the vestibule and they got annoyed when a gentleman and myself tried to get through to get off at Helsby even though the gentleman asked them kindly to move. We got through in the end and I got off as quickly as possible. I looked at the station and my jaw dropped. It was lovely. Thinking it would be a foul station smelling of urine, I was hugely surprised. I read the load of station signs on the signal box, which was strangely on the platform, which said that Helsby station had the best kept station gardens in Cheshire 2011 and things like that. The main station building, on platform 1 was made of stone and looked nice but the main thing that caught my attention was the waiting room for platforms 2 and 3. It had a basket of flowers drooping over the entrance and had 2 stone chimneys. As I took a picture of the station the signal-man stuck his head out of the signal box and asked if I needed the 16:14 Northern train to Warrington as that would be on platform 4. I said no and that I was here to see the coal train to Ellesmere Port. He said sorry and that it had already gone through, as our train was late arriving. I said thank you and walked over the bridge onto platform 4 to take a few pictures of the Northern service to Warrington, and do it to Frodsham if it was a 156. I heard the track squealing way before the unit came in, formed of 156425. I smiled as I boarded the front coach and walked into the main train. I walked right down that coach and through the next and was absolutely stunned at seeing that I was the only passenger on the train. I got a facing seat in the front coach next to the partition so I could see out of the whole window but before I knew it we were approaching Frodsham. I got in the vestibule and opened the door before jumping off but I decided to go down to the end of the train and ask the guard if the Northern unit would arrive at Runcorn East before the Llandudno bound train. She said it would so I climbed back on the train, my ticket being valid to Runcorn East. I chatted with her all the way there, got off and watched the 156 leave. I then walked up the ramp to the footbridge and went over it to platform 2. My mum rang while at Runcorn East station, just before catching my train back to Chester, the 16:33. My train came in at 16:36 and left at 16:37 on its way to Llandudno. Between Runcorn East and Frodsham 175112, our train, raced past an unidentified 175 on its way to Manchester. We arrived at Chester about 5 minutes late and I baled before walking over the stairs to the main concourse and asking the dude at the barriers to be let through. He did and I wandered into the Costa. After seeing the length of the queue I walked out and over the concourse to WH Smith and grabbing bacon and egg sandwich and an oasis. I walked over to the bench on platform 4b and ate my sarnie and drank a bit of my oasis before shoving it in my camo bag and watching a 158 leave. After that I walked back over the bridge and saw that there was virtually no queue so I went through the barrier again and got myself a strawberry and cream frappe. By the time I had finished that I had to make my way over to platform 3b for the 17:55 Llandudno train, which I was to do to Shotton. It rolled in as 175106 and I had to wait for people to get off before boarding myself. I knew the journey to Shotton was quick, only 8 minutes, but I only had a plus 6 to get a 150 back to Pen-y-ffordd, which I thought might be a problem because the high level and low level are in different places. We arrived at Shotton right time (thank god) where I hurriedly got off the cramped unit and ran down the ramp into the street. I then ran along the pavement to where the road turned off and I headed towards the high-level railway bridge. I saw the sign on the bridge with an arrow pointing up for Bidston and under the bridge for Wrexham so I went under it and up the cobbled ramp until reaching the top. After reaching the top and looking at the 'next train' board, I sat in the crowded bus shelter to get out of the rain. About 5 minutes later, my train arrived as 150252, a dud one for haulage, and I had no trouble finding the seat I liked, right had side with a window and facing. When the guard came down, just after Buckley, I shown him my return ticket from Pen-y-ffordd-Chester and he nodded and walked away. We arrived at Pen-y-ffordd 4 minutes late and I saw my granny’s car waiting in the car park so I stepped off and walked down to the gate into the car park next to the barrow crossing and went through it, before walking to her car. I watched the 150 leave a few seconds before getting to the car.

Classes traveled: 150, 175, 158, 507, 508, 156.
TOCs traveled: ATW, MR, NR.

Leamington Spa-Stafford and Tamworth

I had planned to go to Tamworth for the day, on the 14th of August, photting and spotting with a little bit of bashing. I talked my plan over with my parents the evening before, going from Leamington Spa-Birmingham Moor Street and then walking to New Street before going on a Nottingham bound train to Tamworth. They didn't really want me changing at New Street without someone with me (my friend wasn't available) but trying to think of an alternative at 11 o'clock at night, when my brain wasn't functioning properly through tiredness was difficult. In the end I fell asleep without thinking off a plan for the day. Having been woken up by my brother at 07:00 that morning, and being actually happy about it for once, I leaped out of my bed, grabbed yesterday’s clothes and ran over to the other boat. I should probably finish that statement by saying I live on a pair of narrow boats. Anyway, after getting onto my parents boat and running to the end (my parents room), I found out that my mum was still sleeping. Consequently, I went to the saloon and curled up in one of the armchairs and started to read my book. The bad thing is a late night and an early start don't mix well and before I had read a page I was asleep.

I woke up again, with a beam of sunshine steaming through the porthole onto me. I gently hit myself on the head for falling asleep and I then saw my brother sat in the chair, on his I pad. I slowly got out of the chair and walked to the kitchen and checked the time on the clock. I swore. The clock said Five to Ten; I was hoping to be on the 09:25 train off Leamington to Birmingham although I hadn't decided what I would do for the day at that point. I woke mum, hoping to be on the 10:25 instead but I knew we wouldn't make it. I let mum come round while I ran over to my boat again and down into the family room, which housed the computer. After turning the computer on and sitting down, my phones alarm rang, 2 hours late. I clicked 'stop' as the computer turned on. I went to Real-time Trains and checked times before writing them in my book. I went over and ran my timings through with mum, she was fine with them.

An hour later, I was leaving the car at Leamington Spa train station with 8 minutes to buy a complicated ticket and get my train. I walked in through the main entrance, only to find the ticket machines out of use and only one ticket booth open and 3 people in front of me. The only up side was to see that my train was 4 minutes late. In the end I was served, 3 minutes before my train was due. I asked for a west midlands day ranger for 1 child, £11.90, and I told him the name to put on my ticket. I then put my ticket in the barrier and ran onto platform 2. Seeing that my train was a further minute late, I walked to the very end of the station, to be near the loco and to get away from Mr. and Mrs. Joe normal, who had stopped at the very top of the stairs. When I got to the end of the platform, my train came in, 5 late at 11:30, on 1R22 the 10:15 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street as 67010. I boarded and got my favorite seat on a Chiltern mark 3, a facing right hand side seat next to the partition. Since it were 6 late on departure I saw 70013 come off the Coventry line on 4O49, a Southampton bound liner. My train began to speed up and it hammered through Warwick, but just after the station the loco had to slow the train down for our next stop, Warwick Parkway. After Warwick parkway we were non stop to Solihull and then straight to Birmingham Moor Street. I arrived at Moor Street 2 late, pretty good considering that the train was six late off Leamington.

I baled the 67, and walked over to platform 2, where I would take 2K23, the 11:40 Whitlocks End to Kidderminster to Smethwick Galton Bridge. I got there to see that it was supposedly on time, but at the time it was meant to leave, it hadn't even arrived. Then, about 5 minutes after that, the board said that the 11:58 to Kidderminster was 'delayed'. Then the board shown that it was expected at 12:04 and it came in, as single 172, 172221. I boarded and sat down in one of the seats and put my head against one of the windows that was vibrating like hell, but it stopped when we left. That is the strange thing I find with the London Midland 172s is that when you have your head against the window and you are moving, the window is fine but when you are not moving the window vibrates loads. Anyway, the 172 got to Smethwick Galton Bridge 4 late at 12:16 and it left as I waked above it on my way to the low level. I watched a 323 leave on the Wolverhampton Stopper before looking back on the deserted platform. Then a few minutes later 390129 rolled through on the Edinburgh train. I was going to get the 158s on the Aberystwyth and Harlech but I would definitely have taken the 323 to Sandwell and Dudley for the 390 to Wolverhampton but I had forgotten that the 390 was behind the 323. I waited for a few minutes before the 12:29 158 came in, and I was dreadfully surprised to see that it was just 1 of them, 158826. I had difficulty boarding, because the vestibule was stuffed full with suitcases but everyone moved there luggage to let me board. I walked through the heavily cramped coach and stood at the end, near the vestibule. The man with the trolley asked me to move, even though there was no room for me to move let alone go through. I just managed to let the trolley past before walking to the vestibule.

Leaping off at Wolverhampton, and not knowing the station, I walked over the bridge and checked each platform board before walking back onto the platform the 158 had arrived on. I saw the buffet and I grabbed an all day breakfast sarnie before returning to the platform and boarding the 12:54 London Midland Dez in the hands of 350118. It left with the usual part whine, on its way to Liverpool Lime Street, a lovely hour and a half stagger from Birmingham New Street. I had got a coach with a window seat on the right and it, unlike the 158, it was very lightly packed (probably because people heard that it was either quicker to drive or get Virgin from New Street to Crewe and then change) Anyway, I was riding along in an almost empty train when someone came and sat in the seat right opposite me and started trying to get my attention and start a conversation. In the end I had to talk to her, and she said "oh yes I saw you get on at Wolverhampton" and she immediately thought I lived there. Attention seeker no doubt. I was really glad when I got off at Stafford and away from her. I got off at Stafford and immediately went over the bridge onto platform 4 and walked to the end of the platform, where all of the enthusiasts were.

Ok, this is the annoying bit. I reached into my bag and got out my digital camera. Flat battery. I sighed and shoved the camera back into my bag and put it back on my back (it is a rucksack). About 5 seconds after that, my dad rung so I had to take my bag off my back to grab my phone. I answered it and I asked him (being a rail enthusiast himself) when the next freights were due. There were lots and I then decided to head to Tamworth on the 14:56 to Euston. My dad told me that winner 66415 was on the Washwood Heath to Basford Hall freight the day before so it might have stuck. I sat at the end, and just after a Pendolino whizzed though on a service down the Trent Valley line towards Rugley, I looked down platform 5 and saw the Washwood Heath to Basford Hall approaching, with dud 66507. I said darn and written it in my red train-spotting book (red for locos and purple for units). I sat watching the trains pass, and about 3 freight trains later 90020 screamed down the fast line on its way to Wembley. After that had gone through, I made my way over to platform 1, to await 1U34, the 14:56 to London Euston. It arrived after the Virgin to Euston had gone, a few minutes late. It rolled in on-time, as 350117, and left 2 minutes late to let a virgin 390 pass non-stop. The 350 left Stafford and sped towards Rugley Trent Valley, where a family sat in the chairs next to me. The train then arrived at Tamworth, 1 late, and I walked up to Platform 4, next to the lift from platform 2.

Tamworth is one of the very few stations that makes me lose my sense of direction, making me think that platform 2 is towards Lichfield Trent Valley, platform 1 for Atherstone and Nuneaton, platform 3 towards Birmingham and platform 4 for Nottingham. Anyway, in my plans, I had decided to get the 17:20 back to Rugby where my dad could pick me up, but I decided to stay until the 18:20 because I was having such a good time. I watched the 18:15 Crewe train leave, me still standing on platform 4 when I saw something on the fasts in the distance. I ran down one part of the stairs onto platform 2 to see the royal mail units approaching, but alas they were all dud (I need 3 left). The announcement then said that the next train on patform 4 does not stop here, and since an unspeakable horrible thing (221/221) had just went by, I knew it would be a freight. However after 3 minutes of waiting for it, my train back to Rugby was announced so I had to go down stairs and onto platform 2. The second I got onto platform 2, I heard something roll by on platform 2, to my annoyance. After getting to the place on the platform I would board the 350, another 3 class 325s zoomed by, 1 of them a winner . The 350 came in, 350121 and I instantly knew it would be very unlikely for me to get a decent seat. I boarded, the rear carriage and actually found a facing seat on the right had side, but it had very little window and a hanging coat covered up the window that it did have. Two idiots had boarded at Tamworth and I could tell that everyone else in the coach was really annoyed with them two but they baled at Atherstone. After they had got off, I pushed the persons coat forward so I could see out of the window, although no freight came. After Nuneaton, I pushed the coat a little further forward, as I knew that 4M93 would be passing soon. It did, at Ansty, where the 4 tracks diverge into 3, with 70015. As we approached Rugby, I saw my dads red car waiting, and I hopped of the 'dez' and my jaw dropped. 321411 was sat in the bay!

I rung my dad and said I was going to get a few pictures and then I would be with him and I ran over to platform 2 where I used my digital camera to get a load of pictures. I walked down, a smile on my face and out of the station to head to the car.

Classes Traveled: 67, 172, 158, 350.
TOCs Traveled: CR, LM, ATW.

A fun day!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
Your rucksack must have magical charging powers. At Stafford your digital camera had a flat battery but by the time you got to Rugby you took a picture with it. Whats it's secret

IanD

Established Member
Your rucksack must have magical charging powers. At Stafford your digital camera had a flat battery but by the time you got to Rugby you took a picture with it. Whats it's secret

On-train sockets?

Anyway, this was a good read but [EnglishTeacherMode] you do need to break it up in to paragraphs [/EnglishTeacherMode] - I must have read the same line twice dozens of times in the second report!

(I'm not an English teacher BTW).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For future reference, there is a direct walkway between Shotton high & low levels; you don't have to exit the station onto the street.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

I used my phone... And then came back the next day with my camera on full charge :lol:

On-train sockets?

Anyway, this was a good read but [EnglishTeacherMode] you do need to break it up in to paragraphs [/EnglishTeacherMode] - I must have read the same line twice dozens of times in the second report!

(I'm not an English teacher BTW).

Sorry, I have added paragraphs now!

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I won't be able to finish my trip report to Doncaster for a while now, as I will be in Canada for 5 weeks.

Clip

Established Member
Ahh always good to read reports with added pictures(Techniquest seems to have stopped doing them now) Sounds like youve had a good few days out and coupled with your Canada trip are racking up some milege

headshot119

Established Member
For future reference, there is a direct walkway between Shotton high & low levels; you don't have to exit the station onto the street.

Not from the Wrexham Bound platform. You do have to exit the station from that platform to get to the Bidston bound platform, or the low level platforms.

EDIT

Just noticed you posted that nearly two months ago.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
(Techniquest seems to have stopped doing them now)

Excuse me, I'm still doing trip reports! Check the link below! ;)

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101555

I'm having some issues with photos, laptops and Flickr in recent months, although I'm hoping to fix that later this year. I'd love to include photos more often, but it's not an option at the moment.

Also worth bearing in mind a lot of my trip report typing has been done on my commuting to/from work, using the RailUK Forum app, which makes it more awkward to try and link in photos!

I try and make up for it using humour though!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not from the Wrexham Bound platform. You do have to exit the station from that platform to get to the Bidston bound platform, or the low level platforms.
I didn't know that! Oh well, not quite my area ;):lol:
Just noticed you posted that nearly two months ago.
Though it only feels like 2 days ago :lol:

And it was over 2 years ago that I last saw you, and that only feels like 2 months ago to me! Time flies...

Clip

Established Member

I'm having some issues with photos, laptops and Flickr in recent months, although I'm hoping to fix that later this year. I'd love to include photos more often, but it's not an option at the moment.

Also worth bearing in mind a lot of my trip report typing has been done on my commuting to/from work, using the RailUK Forum app, which makes it more awkward to try and link in photos!

Ha ha I know you still do your reports was more the pictures that I was saying were absent ;)

headshot119

Established Member
I didn't know that! Oh well, not quite my area ;):lol:

Though it only feels like 2 days ago :lol:

And it was over 2 years ago that I last saw you, and that only feels like 2 months ago to me! Time flies...

Has it been that long! When was the last time The Scottish bash?

I'll have to see if I can pop in on one of the forum meals some time!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Clip:1954998 said:

Ha ha I know you still do your reports was more the pictures that I was saying were absent ;)

Ahhh, well hopefully I'll get it all sorted one day and 2015 will have trip reports with photos again :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Agreed, it does get annoying!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another Report up!

Fishquinn's trip to Crewe.

After getting back from my amazing holiday to Canada and America, a train trip was needed, which ended up being on the 28th of October. I made a plan using my computer and decided that a West Mids Day Ranger coupled with a single from Crewe to Shrewsbury was a good idea. Dad woke me at 08:00, as I asked him to, and taken me to Leamington for the 10:04 to Moor Street. We cut it a little tight, with 6 minutes to get out of the car in the car park to my train departing, but luckily there wasn't a queue so I was served quickly and had 3 minutes before my train one on the platform.

67017 was on the train to Birmingham, and we set off 2 late due to the doors not closing (people weren’t closing the doors for the slam door stock but with the plug door, the doors have a lot of problems). The journey to Birmingham felt very slow, even between Warwick Parkway and Dorridge, which is usually an absolute storm but it arrived on time. It turns out that my first trip out had something good even before Birmingham, and that was seeing 170505 at Tysley depot, my last London Midland 170! It feels brilliant to only have the AGA, TPE and SR ones to worry about.

After getting off the 'shovel' I wandered over to platform 2 getting ready for the 10:49 to Smethwick Galton Bridge and it came in on time, which surprised me greatly, with dud 172221 and winner 172212. A few Midland Metro trams passed the 172s on they're way to Stourbridge Junction including one of the new ones, number 27. The units arrived at Smethwick Galton Bridge 1 late and I walked up and down the millions of stairs to platform 3.

350123 rolled in on the service to Liverpool but I flagged it, not knowing it was a winner. 350242, a winner, rolled in and a seat was easily found for the short journey to Sandwell and Dudley which we arrived at 4 late. A 158 went speeding through on the other platform as the 'dez' arrived, and about 2 minutes later the slightly delayed 11:24 to Glasgow Central pulled in as winner pendo number 390049 which sped me away from Dudley. There was only a couple of 221s at Wolverhampton and after that we were trundling along the line towards Stafford, where a GBRF 66 went storming past us. We joined the WCML at Stafford and got up to 125 mph very quickly. Not to long after Stafford Basford Hall yard came into sight, but as usual I couldn't get any of the numbers.

2 voyagers were at Crewe Diesel, but I managed to get the number of 90050 before arriving at a pretty much empty Crewe Station, with only the 57 and the train that I had just got off. Since tickets were needed for the leg to Shrewsbury, I walked up to the main concourse and got some cash out to pay for tickets and lunch.

A few minutes later I was in the Pumpkin with cash in one hand and a sandwich and drink in the other, which was put in a bag. Deciding to walk over to platform 6 for lunch as it was the best platform for getting numbers, turned out to be a good idea as just after I sat down, the NMT rolled in on platform 12 with 43013 and 43014, so a wander over to the far side platform was well needed for some HST thrash. I managed to get a few grainy pictures with my I pod, as I didn't take the big camera with me and I also managed to peer in a few of the windows of it. I went back to platform 6 after the 'tram' had left to eat my lunch, but by the time my train to Shrewsbury had arrived, I still had my muffin to eat.

175107, another winner, was to take me to Shrewsbury, so I got a seat after Gresty Bridge, where I scored a winner 68, 68003. We came to a halt at Nantwich, even though it was meant to be RA from Crewe to Shrewsbury, but we were soon on the move again and we arrived at Shrewsbury 4 late.

I ran to 170506, on the service to Birmingham New Street and boarded it. My plan had me on this to Wolverhampton for the ATW 158 to Smethwick Galton Bridge, which was about 25 minutes behind it but I ended up taking it to Sandwell and Dudley. The guard was nice and after seeing my WMDR, he asked if I was having a good day. He checked the disabled toilet and found someone in there with no ticket and he had left his wallet at home. He was sent back to Shrewsbury, changing at Wellington where he needed to get a pass to get home to Coventry. The 170 continued down the line towards Wolverhampton, stopping at every station. It was at Bilbrook, when I decided to go through to Sandwell and Dudley for the London Midland 323 back to Smethwick Galton Bridge and about 15 minutes later we had arrived at Sandwell and Dudley and the boards said that the next train was the 15:02, so only a 15 minute wait.

Nothing really to note at Sandwell and Dudley until my train came in, as 323217, which I alighted seconds later at Smethwick Galton Bridge. A run up the stairs to the high level was a waste of time as the next train towards Moor Street wasn't for 13 minutes, but there was a late running 172 heading towards Stourbridge, and a quick look a timetable revealed that it was only 3 minutes away, so a sprint over to the platform opposite, gave me winner 172342 to Langley Green, and luckily the connecting train stopped. Langley green is a little London Midland 'shack' with a footbridge to cross over and not many stopping services, which I found out by looking at the boards.

Dud 172338 was to take me to Jewellery Quarter, and when I checked RTT later that day, it turns out that that service had failed at Whitlocks End, but it managed to get me to Jewellery Quarter on-time. I resisted the urge to take the Midland Metro to Snow Hill and watched it depart before a pair of 172s rolled in with dud 172215 and winner 172213. I boarded the rear unit, and it departed, on the Dorridge bound train. Five minutes at Snow Hill before heading onward to Moor Street, where it arrived on time at 15:40. After baling and heading over to the Moorish, I got a hot chocolate which I taken onto the 15:55 to Marylebone, powered by 67017 again.

The journey to Leamington felt quicker at this time and it was fun to speed though Dorridge, and before I knew it we had reached Leamington Spa. I walked down the very familiar road to where my dad was parked to get a lift home.

Classes traveled: 67, 172, 350, 390, 175, 170, 323.
TOCs traveled: CR, LM, VT, ATW.

It was good to get back out on the trains, after 6 weeks in Canada/The States.

Afraid there is no pictures for this one as I only got a couple of pretty bad ones on my I-pod of the NMT at Crewe.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A good bit of variety had there and a fair numbers of winners :)

67017, ah yes the one that used to pretty much live on the Western with 016!

The stop at Nantwich I would attribute to a possible issue with the level crossing a little west of the station. Otherwise it sounds like you enjoyed your 32 and a bit mile journey on a 175 :)

Congratulations on clearing your 170s with LM for sight! I was thinking of you when I saw 170505 on a Walsall service when I left Birmingham the other week, figured you'd be busy elsewhere so didn't get around to letting you know, however that was 31st October so you'd have seen it by then actually.

Finally, welcome back to the UK rail scene :) I've had a quick look at your photos from your Canadian/USA-ian adventure, some awesome stuff seen!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks Techniquest, I wandered why we stopped at Nantwich!
RailUK London Challenge.

I was hoping to do this challenge for a while, with my dad and Nat67, but when it came nearer the time, and going from Didcot Parkway seemed the best idea, as it would be HST mileage all the way. We reached Didcot and bought a car parking ticket before walking to the station and getting a travelcard, also valid for Didcot to Paddington. Having just missed the 08:29, we had to go for the 09:00, which was rammed, so we had to stand at the far end of the coach, but got an ok view out of the windows. The HSTs, numbered 43127 and 43129 (both dud) arrived at Paddington 4 late at 10:01. After getting off, we headed down to the circle line platforms where the tube arrived on the Edgware Road train. Definitely a circle. Luckily the Hammersmith and City line train was only a 2-minute wait and it arrived to take us to Kings Cross St Pancras, where we were meant to meet the other RailUK members. Once the tube arrived dad headed over to St Pancras as me and Nathan headed over to Kings Cross for a few numbers and photos. I didn't get any winners but Nathan bagged 43318 and 43423, which he was pretty happy about. We wandered over to St Pancras and then up the escalator for the Midland Mainline platforms, so we could see what HST was on the 11:15 to Nottingham. After getting the number of that, we met dad en route to the Eurostar platforms, and he told us to meet him back there. Me and Nathan wandered over to the huge statue next to the end of the Eurostar platforms, where I got a few pictures of the 373s. I wandered over to the bench everyone was sat on, and got ready for the challenge. ATW Alex 101 decided to join us until Clapham Junction, and once it turned 11:30, we met up with dad to head down to the Thameslink platforms for the 10:40 to London Bridge, which, to my annoyance was winner 319432 and dud 319215. I wanted 377s. It arrived at London Bridge 3 late, so we only had 9 minutes before the planned train to Waterloo East, the 11:08. It rolled in on the platform I hoped it would and we all boarded 465197 and 465174 for the short hop to Waterloo East. After getting off, the 4 of us wandered over to the main Waterloo, in search of the M&S to get lunch. We couldn't find it, somehow, so it was easy to get the 11:22 but we flagged it after seeing how crowded it was. There was a pair of 455s ready to go out on the 11:35 loop service. 2 winners, numbers 5707 and 5702 were in charge. Nathan was on one side getting the numbers and I was on the other, and it was a relief to finally get off at Clapham Junction. We had 15 minutes before our next train, and at about 12:00 we made our way over to platform 11 for the 12:03 to Dorking, which rolled in as winner 5913. The journey to Raynes Park bagged me my first Croydon tram for sight and a winner 458 at Wimbledon depot. After getting off at Raynes Park, we headed over to the platform opposite for a very short wait until our connecting train, to Richmond. It rolled as 5872 and 5739 which staggered along the winner track to Richmond. After arriving at the station, I ran to the toilets, which were past the barriers, just to find that you had to pay for them. Not a hope. So I put my ticket back through the barriers, but they didn't accept is as valid so a member of staff had to let me back through. I joined up with Dad and Nat and we all strolled up the London Overground platforms before boarding 378232 for the ride to Willesden Junction. I got off with Nathan and Dad right behind me and we all descended down the stairs to what we thought would be the platform for the tube to Baker Street... But it was just a lady telling people to head out to the street for a rail replacement bus. No way. So instead we all walked back up to the Stratford bound platform and boarded the next service formed of 378230, another winner. The journey to Stratford was an uneventful one, and taken a long time, but I still got a few winners. We arrived at Stratford and dad decided to wander off while Nat and me headed onto platforms 9 and 10. It was surprising how many 321 winners I got for sight, as I don't usually get many, but that was good. Most of the AGA 'Dusty Bins' are winners for haulage but I wanted some slam doors after not being able to get some 'fresh air' on the HST this morning, but I groaned when 90011 pulled in, as I had already had it from Colchester to Liverpool Street, and to make things worse, I have only ever had 2 AGA 90s. Dad joined us just in time and 2 minutes later, we were speeding down the GEML grabbing numbers from the comfort of a vestibule. I bagged 2 379s for sight, although one was dud, and soon we had arrived at Liverpool Street. We then raced down to the Circle line and boarded the next tube, to head to Blackfriars. We arrived 2 minutes after the train that I wanted to catch so we strolled up to the platform for Sutton and Brighton, where we taken a look across the Thames until the 16:30 to Sutton rolled in with 319376. It was winner track all the way to Herne Hill where we baled to see our connection arriving so a dart through the subway got us on 465249 for the journey to London Victoria. We were at Herne Hill for 35 seconds in the end. After arriving at Victoria a look at the tube map was needed, as it confirmed that the tube line needed was the Victoria line. About 15 minutes later we were all at London Kings Cross. We walked over to the East Coast side of things where Nathan bagged his last 91 and again, I got nothing. After meeting up with the RailUK members again, we headed down to the tube station and go the next tube, a Hammersmith and City line one, which taken us back to Paddington. M&S was needed for dinner, well Breakfast, lunch and dinner and once that was bought, we boarded the 18:27 to Taunton, with 43122 and 43153, and it holds the record of worst HST journey I have ever had, cramped in a vestibule with loads of people, an absolute stagger due to engineering work and a window partly open somewhere. It was a relief when we got off at Didcot.

Classes traveled: HST, 319, 465, 455, 378, 90.
TOCs traveled: FGW, LU, TL, SE, SWT, LO, AGA.

It was nice to meet you all, and I would like to thank my dad for taking me!

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Going to Wales to see grandparents (Day 1)

Saturday the 22nd of November finally came around and at 07:15 I was up and getting dressed, ready for the trip to Pen-y-ffordd. We set off at about 7:55 for Leamington station and arrived with 10 minutes before my train, the 08:23 to Birmingham Snow Hill. I bought my first ticket of the day, a West Midlands Day Ranger, and then headed up onto platform 2 for my train.

My train arrived as a 6 car with winner 168107 and winner 172102. 172102 is actually my first ever Chiltern 172 for haulage, so I decided to sit in that and change to the 168 at Dorridge. Swapping units was a success and I taken a right hand side, facing seat. I stood up at Tysley to get the stuff in the depot, which included a 150, a 153, a few 172s and loads of 170s. We came to a stop just after Bordsley for some reason, but about two minutes later the train was moving again. I got off at Moor Street and sat on the bench, waiting for the next London Midland service for Smethwick Galton Bridge, which rolled in as dud 172221 and winner 172344.

A seat was taken for the short journey to Smethwick, which we reached in 13 minutes. I got off the 172 to hear that the 08:23 to Birmingham International was caped, good that that wasn't my train onward to Birmingham New Street! Although my service, the 09:34 wasn't too good, being 8 late off Smethwick and 10 late at New Street. Anyway, it was 350234 that taken me to Birmingham's biggest and busiest train station. I already knew that I had missed the 09:49 to Hereford, but I only wanted to go to University on that, for a London Midland 170, which I highly rate. The 'Dez' got to New Street at 10:54, and walked up the stairs to the main concourse to see the departure boards for the next train to either Five ways or University, and I settled with the 10:03 to Longbridge, which came in as winner 323205.

Since almost everyone that was on the train before New Street had got off, I easily got a good seat, and very soon we were on the move. At Five Ways, where was already a 323 in the other platform so I didn't bale there, and instead I got off at University. An MPV raced through while I was waiting for the train back to New Street, which ended up rolling in 5 minutes late, with winner 323207.

It was a lot more cramped than the journey up, no spare seats, as lots of people wanted to head in to Birmingham for the day. When the train reached hellhole central, which is Birmingham New Street, I hurried back down the platform to get aboard 170523 on the 11:30 to Cardiff which was rammed upon departure from New Street. It arrived at University 3 late, making me miss the connection onto the other Cross Country 170 that was already in the other platform. Instead I had to wait a long six minutes for another 323, which to my annoyance, was dud for the day 323205.

It arrived back at New Street on time and about 2 minutes later, I was standing on platform 4, watching what would form the 12:05 to Shrewsbury come in. It arrived as winner 170631 and I managed to get my favorite seat for the journey ahead. I actually really like the London Midland 170s, better that 168s in my opinion and the plan was to leave at Sandwell and Dudley for the pendo to Crewe but as I was comfy, I stayed on until Wolverhampton. The Edinburgh 390 was due off the same platform the 170 arrived on so I taken a couple of shots with the little digital camera of the 170 leaving.

Class 170 by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

About 15 minutes later, an unspeakable horror (my nickname for 390s, since I was about 3) was winding its way around the corner with a poppy on the front, meaning it was winner 390103! The down-side of not getting on at Birmingham New Street was that there were no facing window seats on the right so I just sat down in a seat and taken a look at the numbers that had been collected from earlier in the day and about half an hour later the train was arriving at Crewe. 56081 was sat in Basford Hall yard and 67001 was at Crewe Diesel along with 57312, 90050 and quite a few London Midland 350s. Something caught my eye just before Crewe station though, 08507 was sat there as well an 08 with no number. If anyone knows what it was, could they please say!

I got off at Crewe and immediately ran up the stairs to get my onward ticket to Pen-y-ffordd. After getting the ticket, I headed back down to the platforms ready for the 150 to Chester but it actually came in as 158832! Was not expecting that but probably better that a 150 and my luck was still holding, as it was a winner. I managed to get all of the numbers in both Crewe Heritage Centre and Crewe Electric; lucky the numbers haven’t rusted away! Past a bridge and into countryside for about 15 minutes before arriving at Chester.

I got off the 158 and went into the crowd of Hundreds upon Hundreds of people, all with their cameras waiting for the 2 steam hauled rail tours. Before gettting my own camera out, had to buy another ticket, a return to Bache, all for for a few shots of Bittern and the Black 5s. The A4 arrived first and being smaller than most people in the crowd I managed to duck below the cameras to get a few shots myself.

Bittern at Chester. by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

I headed over the footbridge to get some photos of it from the other side but none were good. I overheard someone saying that the black 5s were late and that they had just left Wrexham, so I decided to head for lunch at Bache Morrisons and boarded winner 507030 for the short hop to Bache. As the Merseyrail unit was leaving 45407 and 44871 came around the corner from the Wrexham line, to Chester, meaning that I had missed a photo opportunity. About a minute later the train was arriving at Bache. I strolled over to the supermarket and then to the cafe where I tried to order a big breakfast but the wait was half an hour for food so I had to flag it :(. I wandered back over to the station, where I had to wait 10 minutes for the third-rail unit back to Chester, and I wasn't very happy when I saw what it was, the annoying 508134 (see first report for why it's annoying). I taken a seat for the short journey back to Chester, where lunch was obtained in the form of an All Day Breakfast Sandwich from WHSmith and a creamy cooler from Costa. I headed back to the platforms and a pleasant surprise awaited me, an RHTT with 97303 and 97304. Camera out and photos taken.

175104 and 97303 by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

I then headed over the footbridge to get the number of a Northern unit that had just arrived, but as I crossed the bridge, the 'tractors' pulled out and I couldn't resist the temptation to get another few pictures.

RHTT and 175 by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

After that, I wandered back over to platform 3b for the 14:19 Maesteg train, as far as Wrexham, where I had a -2 connection onto a Borderlands Line service. Obviously 175114 had to be late upon arrival at Wrexham, making me miss the connection. Either get granny to drive 20 minutes out to collect me or wait an hour for another 150. I went for the first option and she said that my aunt would take me to her place so about 15 minutes later the blue Honda Jazz was pulling in to take me on to Pen-y-ffordd. Overall a pretty successful day!

Classes traveled: 172, 168, 350, 323, 170, 390, 158, 507, 508, 175
TOCs traveled: CR, LM, VT, ATW, MR

Last edited:

Kristofferson

A pretty interesting trip by the sounds of it! Would love to see a working A4 up close.

Why the dislike of New Street, may I ask? My experiences of the refurbished station were overwhelmingly positive!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks Kristofferson!

I don't like New Street because it is pretty much all underground and very gloomy. From the outside it looks great though.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Love your write-ups fishquinn, always interesting and imformative :D

Thanks!
Pen-y-ffordd to Leamington (Day 2)

I awoke at about 7 on Sunday the 23rd of November and was downstairs by 7:15, ready for the journey back home. Granny said that she would drop me off at Wrexham for the journey, as the connection was pretty tight if I went from Pen-y-ffordd. I was hoping to get the 10:54 to Chester and then on from there so granny dropped me off at Wrecham General 15 minutes before the train.

The ticket office was closed so I tried to buy from the ticket machine, but the darn thing only seemed to offer adult tickets. I gave up and walked onto the platform to try and find station staff and when I did they just told me to buy on he train. Turns out I would have made the connection from Pen-y-ffordd as the Wrexham Central train rolled in 5 minutes before the Chester train did. Winner 158833 came in and I managed to get a seat for the journey onwards. I had my debit card out from the very start of the train journey, so I was ready for when the guard came down. I bought my ticket to Crewe and once we arrived at Chester, I immediately headed over to the ticket office to get a return to Capenhurst for the winner station.

The Merseyrail unit, winner 507009, arrived and taken me along the line, and about 10 minutes later the train had arrived at Capenhurst. I changed platforms and waited 5 minutes for my train back to Chester, winner 507013. As you can probably tell, I haven’t really had many units up here, in fact all of the 175 I have had for haulage (8 of them) have been since the 1st of August 2014. It arrived back at Chester on time at 11:55, and to my surprise winner 150230 was already sat in platform 1 ready to head to Crewe on the 12:23. After heading over to platform 1, I got a seat on the unit and got the lunch Granny had packed out of my bag and began to eat. The 20 minutes until we left was very slow and annoying, mainly because of a group of people at the other end of the coach were yelling at the top of there voices to each other. This continued all the way to Crewe. I got off at Crewe and headed up to the ticket office for the West Midlands Day Ranger, the ticket that could get me home.

I came back down onto platform 6 and began walking down but something caught my eye. It was an old Thameslink 319, now Northern's. A walk over to platform 12 was needed, where I found out that it was 319363 and got a few pictures.

319363 and 57308 by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

After getting the photos, I headed over to the far side footbridge and started leaping up to see if any 47s were there and sure enough there was. I wandered back down and to the end of the platform and it was 47790, doing shunting. Camera out, photos taken, as it came towards me.

47790 by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

I looked at the time, and decided to head back over to platform 5 to wait for my train and it turns out that Crewe really was full of surprises as on the 13:13 to Milford Haven was a pair of 150s, numbers 150256 and 150242!

ATW 150s by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

I watched them leave and only 5 minutes after they did, my Euston bound train rolled in, with dud 390124. I boarded and taken a left hand seat (only free facing window seat) for the race down to Stafford. The pendo arrived at Stafford 2 down, meaning that the wait for my onward train to Tamworth was in 34 minutes.

No freight due in the time so I just headed over to the end of platform 3 and 4 and planted myself down on a bench to wait for the dez which would take me onwards. One thing I have wandered for a while is that why the service from Crewe to Euston and vice versa goes via Stoke instead of the New Street-Liverpool. Surely it would make more sense to have the so-called 'express' go direct and the stopper to head the route that takes 40 minutes instead of 20. Anyway, rant over. About half an hour later, I wandered back over to platform 1, and obviously the 350 had to be a little late, it wouldn't be London Midland if it weren’t! In the end dud 350119 rolled in and at the same time 57304 and 57305 went flying through on the Northern Belle.

I managed to get a facing right hand seat at the front of the unit. The guard came down to check tickets after every station and about 20 minutes later we were arriving at Tamworth. I headed up to platform 4, the platform for my next train and I boarded the Cardiff bound 170, 170117 which I would take as far as New Street. The train was absolutely rammed but I managed to slip through the coach to grab the spare seat, which actually happened to be a right hand side-facing seat, although I wasn't sat next to the window. At least I managed to get the 66s at Lawley Street. About 25 minutes later the 'cart' was arriving at Birmingham New Street where most of the 170 emptied out.

I headed out of the main doors for the walk to Moor Street, the first time I have ever done it alone. I got to Moor Street, and 168214 was sat in the station ready to work the 15:55 to Marylebone. It was 15:40 at the time so I got a Hot Chocolate from the Centenary Lounge to take on the train. It departed right time and I was pretty surprised when it stopped at Dorridge; It doesn't on a weekday. I was thinking it would also stop at Warwick but we went coasting through, arriving back at my home station in 3 minutes. I got off the 168 at Leam and wandered over to the place I always meet my dad.

Overall, a pretty fun weekend!

Classes Traveled: 158, 507, 150, 390, 350, 170, 168
TOCs traveled: ATW, MR, VT, LM, XC, CR

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A play in the midlands

I had been waiting for this trip a whole week and it finally came round on the 11th of December 2014. I had decided to take Thursday off work and do maths and English on Monday instead. I wanted to do Thursday, as it is the only day during the week I have 2 lessons, meaning it would be easier to get them done. Finally the day came...

Mum dropped me off at Leamington station and I immediately bought my ticket for the day before heading up to platform 2 for my train. Double duds 168110 and 168217 rolled in 3 late to take me 2 stops down the line to Warwick Parkway. I decided to take a seat in the rear unit so I was next to the steps down at Warwick Parkway, and my positioning was brilliant, as the doors opened right next to the steps down.

I baled headed over to the over to the other platform to wait for my next train, which would hopefully give me a winner 172 but it was dud 172102 with a little surprise as winner 168003 was on the back, meaning I only needed 2 of the class left for haulage, 168108 and 168219. I naturally got on the winner unit and just decided to stand in the vestibule, as I was only traveling to Warwick. 2 minutes later, I had to say bye to 168003 as we had reached my destination. The reason I got off at Warwick was because I knew there was an ex Stratford 172 heading to Marylebone just 5 minutes behind, and it was obviously going to be a winner as all but 172102 were winners at the time. I saw it coming long before I got the number, but it turned out to be winner 172103 for the short hop back to Leamington. What Chiltern 172s do people on here need for haulage?

I got off at Leamington and headed over to platform 2, for the 10:04 to Moor Street, the way I begin most trips on my own. It came in on-time, with 67018 leading, and I taken my usual seat on the Chiltern MK3s for the journey to Moor Street which was uneventful except seeing a London Midland 172 race through Solihull while we were there. The 'shovel' arrived on time at, in my opinion, Birmingham's nicest station, Moor Street. I strolled over to platform 2, the line for Snow Hill and onward and watched dud 172218 and winner 172220 arrive to take me to Smethwick Galton Bridge.

After arriving at Smethwick, I changed platforms and immediately jumped on double winners, 172217 and 172219. I am doing pretty well on the winner front today! At The Hawthorns, a run was required to get over to the other platform for my next train, which I was to take to Stourbridge Junction. Winner track after Langley Green! Winner 172333 taken me onwards. It isn't a very nice stretch of track, with the main downside being Rowley Regis, a horrible looking station, but the good thing about it all was seeing 68013 at Stourbridge yard, although I didn't have my camera out for any pictures of it.

At Stourbridge Junction I headed over to the platform for Stourbridge Town, and got on winner 139001. This would obviously be a winner, as I had never even seen a Parry People Mover! It was a fun ride to Stourbridge Town, a single platform station with a train every ten minutes! Can't be many like that. The guard came down to check tickets, and I went in my bag to get my ticket but he said not to worry about it. Once we arrived at the little shack, I got off and taken a few photos of the PPM but all had someone getting on. From what I saw, it is very well used! The little unit arrived back at Stourbridge Junction as an MPV passed through, heading towards Birmingham, although, I didn't have my camera out in time for a photo. I got it out on the platform for a few shots of the 139 as it left.

Parry People Mover by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

I also got a photo of 172339 as it arrived before heading down the platform for my next train.

Class 172 by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

My train arrived as double duds 172215 and 172212, and I made sure I planted myself on the left hand side, for the first bit of the journey. For one reason. 68013.

Cat at Stourbridge. by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

My plan had me taking this to Cradley Heath for the 1203 back up to Worcester Shrub Hill but as we arrived another pair was arriving so I sprinted over the footbridge and jumped on as the door alarm sounded. I didn't have time to check what the units were so I got the rear unit (the one I was on) from the interior coach number and had to wait until Stourbridge, where I baled, to get the other. It turns out they were both winners, 172211 and [/B]172214[/B]. At Stourbridge, I got a shot of 172333, the one I had had earlier in the day before watching my train to Worcester arrive.

Stourbridge Junction by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

It came in as dud 172340. The view over Worcester was amazing as we approached Shrub Hill, definitely one to see again. The unit arrived at Shrub Hill 1 down, so I immediately headed over to the platform for the Hereford bound 'tram' but I made sure I get a few pictures of the semaphores for dad. I got a photo of the 172 I had arrived on, and managed to get the HST in the shot!

The view at Worcester by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

It arrived as dud 43164 and winner 43156, my first winner tram in ages! I boarded and immediately went to the right hand side window and slid it down. I wandered why it calls at both Shrub Hill and Foregate Street, as the 2 are about a minute away from each other. That on an HST seems ridiculous! It was good to 'Window Hang' on a tram, for the first time in ages. It stopped at Malvern Link before rolling into Great Malvern. I baled, and after shutting the door, wandered through the subway to the other platform, read for my 170 to New Street. After 5 minutes something came around the corner and I froze, a look of horror on my face. 150107 was on the 1310 to New Street. I had to board the horrible thing and I immediately rang dad to say. My journey felt like 2 hours instead of the 45 that it really was and by the end I wanted to leap out of the window. I was relieved when I got off at University from what was my worst train ride in ages. And even worse I was expecting a 170. Something must have gone very wrong to get one of them on a Hereford to New Street train! It was only a five-minute wait until a 323 to take me down to New Street. Winner 323201 had the honors. After getting off at New Street, I checked the departure boards and found out that the 323 back up to Five Ways was due to leave in 1 minute so I sprinted down the escalator and towards 323213. 3 people were running towards the doors from the other side so I thought I was fine but the guard just looked at us all and then locked the doors. In front of 5 people. Crazy thing to do, since it left about 40 seconds later. I waited for the next one though which came in as another winner, 323240. I positioned myself near the back, ready to get off at Five Ways and the quick platform change was successful. Winner 323218 taken me back to Hell Hole central. I waited for 323214 on the 14:43 back up to University so I could fall into the ex Hereford there. I managed to get a few pictures of 150107 here, on its way back to Hereford.

The thing that baffles me here is why London Midland didn't swap the 150 for a 170, as there was definitely time to do so at New Street!

London Midland 150 by quinnsrailwayphotos, on Flickr

A pair 323s came in, and I actually got on them, as both were winners. 323210 and 323212 were the units. The journey back to New Street was the same as always and once there, I decided to watch the ex Hereford come in to see what I had missed out on. Luckily, it was only 170515. I decided to head back over to Moor Street now, so about 10 minutes later I was at the main concourse.

I grabbed some flowers for mum before heading over to the Snow Hill line platforms to see what the 14:29 to Kiddy was. Since it was winner 172331, I boarded for the journey through the tunnel to Snow Hill. At Snow hell I checked the departure boards for the next Moor Street bound train, and headed down to find dud for the day 172211 and 172214. I boarded and once it arrived back at Moor Street, I headed over to see what was heading back to Snow Hill. It was 172335, and thinking it was dud, I flagged it. It wasn't dud... I headed over to the 1555 to Marylebone, which was obviously 67018 again and got a seat. It was dark by Warwick Parkway!

I got off at Leamington and gave mum her flowers before heading home.

A pretty successful day!!!

Classes Traveled: 168, 172, 67, 139, 43, 150, 323
TOCs Traveled: CR, LM, FGW

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
What Chiltern 172s do people on here need for haulage?

All of them :(

Some guards will ignore passengers rushing for the train, depends how busy the station and how frequent the services are

West Midlands Day Ranger I assume?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
All of them :(

Some guards will ignore passengers rushing for the train, depends how busy the station and how frequent the services are

West Midlands Day Ranger I assume?

It was a WMDR.

I agree it is annoying when a guard locks the doors! This was a Redditch train so every 20 minutes for them.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
172101 and 172104 I think for my requirements on CH 172s. Didn't you know LM had 150s and used them most days on the Hereford to Birmingham route? I'd love to have a 150 on my local route again!

noddy1878

Established Member
What Chiltern 172s do people on here need for haulage?

I don't need any. I picked them all up in London when they didn't go very far north. I found it an easy class to complete though. I had more trouble on the LO units even though they don't go very far and there are only eight of them.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I don't need any. I picked them all up in London when they didn't go very far north. I found it an easy class to complete though. I had more trouble on the LO units even though they don't go very far and there are only eight of them.

The LO units are easier than the Chiltern units:
1 - There are self-contained, 6 out of the 8 out on a Sunday
2 - They work within the London Zones
3 - Pick a pair of stations near the middle and you can catch all 6 within an hour doing "bus-stop hops"

Chiltern units on the other hand are hard to grab on weekends within London zones

Status
Not open for further replies.