• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FQ's trips around the globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just caught up with your reports fq. Enjoyed reading it all as usual. I quite like the look of the 67 hauled ATW trains. I wouldn't mind a trip on them at some point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Just caught up with your reports fq. Enjoyed reading it all as usual. I quite like the look of the 67 hauled ATW trains. I wouldn't mind a trip on them at some point.
I highly suggest a trip on the 67s - it's a fun ride.

Approaching the new '76: Day 1

We're gradually approaching 2018, which is all change for the Great Western Mainline, much like 1976 was with the introduction of the HSTs. It went downhill then (even though I struggle to say it) and many people hate the trams because of it. It'll be the same with the IEPs and me. Of course that means I'll need to get as many GWR trams in this year and my 5-day bash from Monday the 10th of July to Friday the 14th of July would do just this. Dad was in Chippenham for a course with work. FOSS time!

We'd got the hotel all booked a couple of months in advance and it was a trip I was really looking forward to so I could get many more GWR trams off the list. I looked at RTT for Chippenham about a week before the trip and immediately knew that something was up. The whole week had the same timetable - buses to Swindon and an hourly service to Temple Meads starting at Chippenham. Apparently there were engineering works digging up the line between Chippenham and Wootton Basset Junction so nothing could run for the entire blinking week! I was very annoyed at this as it meant I only had one option from Chippenham per hour instead of the usual 4 and it'd lower the amount of trains serving Swindon. I was even more annoyed when I found that the train I'd need to get in the morning was one of the two services that wasn't a tram - I'd be getting a cart to Bath or Bristol. For heaven sake! I tried to revive my FOSS by looking at getting one of the tram diverts via Newbury and found a cheap (£9.50) 1st class advance that would cover me perfectly on the Tuesday. That's one day sorted then!

Monday the 10th finally came round and I was up at the usual time for heading in with dad: 05:20. I'd packed the night before so there wasn't much to do before heading out and we were soon in the car for the drive to Chippenham. The traffic wasn't too bad although we did get stuck in a queue thanks to farmer bonus at one point. Still, we managed the drive in about 2 hours and headed to the station for brekky at the buffet.

We both got a sausage and egg roll and sat outside on the disused platform that's been done up. It would be odd being sat there and seeing no trams but what can you do? We were there for about 08:00 and my train wasn't until 08:50 unless I went for the 08:30 Westbury. Our rolls were absolutely brilliant as usual and I could soon see the 153 arriving from Westbury, terminating in the Swindon bound platform. It was a winner one so I decided to head over and ask the guard if I could take it because my rover technically wasn't valid yet. It's usually timed to depart at 09:06 though so I didn't think I'd be refused. The guard was soche and happily let me on board so I got a bay of 4 on winner (and green - vote paint froth ;)) 153370.

According to dad, who watched us leave, we left the station with a red signal and before crossing over to the correct line not long after. I hadn't been on the line through Melksham for years (the last time was a Cotswold railtour with a pair of brush) so it was nice to get it again and I was soon bailing at shack score 1, Trowbridge. It was just a quick cross over the footbridge for my next move, a Gloucester service. This was soon rolling in with winner 150127 and I got a seat towards the front of the unit for the pleasant run to Freshford.

Just before arrival at Bradford-on-Avon we did something that is quite funky and I can't think of any other places where this occurs. You first cross over the river Avon on a bridge before immediately going over a level crossing and then straight into a tunnel. Over, level, under in a matter of seconds!

Freshford is situated right in the Avon valley and has some excellent views from the station. This was shack score 2 and I got plenty of photos during my 10-minute fester.
Freshford by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Ex Reading depot pet (and winner) 150002 was to take me away from Freshford and through to valley to shack score 3, Bradford-on-Avon.
150002 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
150002 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Another lovely station (Avoncliff also looked lovely) but I wasn't here for long as I only had a +3 onto winner 158958 back towards Bristol.

Before you ask, yes this was a plan that I'd made before the trip and not a spur of the moment decision. My plan was to take 958 to yet another shack score but I saw that I could have a 10-minute wait at Bath for a tram to Temple Meads for a +5 at Temple Meads onto another to Swindon (via Bristol Parkway). I was actually on the platform at Bath before I decided not to do this because the tram had lost another 6 minutes since I last checked due to following a stopper after Hawkridge Junction. Instead I went with the original plan and took this 158 to Keynsham, another shack score.

I found out later that the tram did indeed get to Temple Meads after the one to Swindon had left so I was glad I chose this option as I waited at Keynsham for my next service. I got a little less glad when I found out that my intended service to Oldfield Park was now 'delayed' but I waited and it eventually arrived just under 10 minutes late. The boards said that it was formed of 4 coaches so I was hoping for a pair of winners but it seems that GWR decided to short form it today as it was solo winner 150202 that took me one stop to Oldfield Park (shack score 5) on this busy service.
Arriving at Keynsham by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I was standing in the vestibule for the fairly short hop, as well as loads of other people but I was soon bailing and changing platforms for my train back to Temple Meads.
150202 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Heading to Bath by fishquinn1, on Flickr

Winner 150131 had the honor of taking me to where I could finally get on some HSTs and the journey wasn't too long. I checked RTT en route and found out that I'd have a tight connection at Temple Meads onto a tram out to Bath, the 10:33. I saw the leading powercar as we were arriving and immediately ran over to platform 13 after arrival. The doors had been shut but the dispatcher saw me and let me quickly get on. The first tram of the trip fell to 43185 (in the Intercity Swallow livery) and, as I found out at Bath much to my annoyance, 43087.
The passing point by fishquinn1, on Flickr

Luckily the connection at Bath, which is meant to be a -2 was a comfortable +4 due to a delay on the service from London. I got a couple of photos before boarding 43162 and, more importantly because it was one of my last 10 GWR ones needed for 100, 43139. The 11.5 miles from Bath to Temple Meads wouldn't clear it for 100 so I looked to see what it would do next and found that it'd work a service to Chippenham. I'd need to take this all the way to Chippenham and then back to at least Bath to clear it so that's what I did. One down...
Temple Meads tram by fishquinn1, on Flickr

The Chippenham service wasn't too busy and, after arrival I headed to get some lunch. We'd arrived a couple of minutes late due to some slow running just before Thingley Junction but I still had ample time to get to the nearby Tesco express for a meal deal. I headed to the rear coach on the tram and was the only one in there until Bath and it was a pleasant run back to Temple Meads where 139 had successfully passed 100 miles.

I decided to hang around here to get a Bath run in because both powercars were needed for the year. This would then give me either a -2 onto an ex Paddington tram back or a +20 onto an ex Chippenham. 43129 and 43135 left Temple Meads on time and arrived at Bath on time but the tram back unfortunately wasn't delayed enough and its doors locked as I got up onto the platform. I got to see the set leave with 43002 on the back - needed for the year.
Guarding the entrance by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I spent a bit of time on the platform waiting for the ex Chippenham and my waiting was rewarded with double duds for 100 and the year (and the rear one a stalker) 43088 and 43164. These were taken back through to Temple Meads where I decided that it was time to get into the proper action - the Swindon-Bristol Parkway-Cardiff stuff.
Green and blue by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Alas there wasn't a Swindon tram due for about 40 minutes so I had to resort to a cart to Parkway, dud 150234.

Once at Bristol Parkway I didn't have long to wait for the next Paddington tram, 43133 and 43145. I got a couple of good seats and had my longest mileage HST run of the day so far - Bristol Parkway to Swindon. The journey was uneventful and I was keepimg my eyes out on RTT for a tight connection onto a Temple Meads tram. It was already in the other platform at Swindon when we were arrived and was due out any second so I doubted the connection would be made. It wasn't too fun to see one of my needed for 100 powercars leading too but it made me even more determined to make it. I sprinted through the underpass and got onto the platform the moment the doors locked. This time, unlike at Bath before, I was ready for it. A very quick platform scan showed me that the guard was one door down so I sprinted to him and got let on required for 100 43028 and dud for the year and 100 43034. Made it!

43028 had achieved sufficient mileage to welcome it into the hundred-mile club by the time we arrived at Bristol Temple Meads and I'd worked out a decent move for the rest of the day while on board. A move that could only be done on Mondays, too. I was to get the 15:30 Edinburgh out to Bristol Parkway which is an unspeakably horrible thing on every day except Mondays. I got the back powercar on my set after arriving at Temple Meads and got a few photos before heading over for my Cross Country set out to Parkway.
Side by side by fishquinn1, on Flickr
43156 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It had arrived moments before I got to the platform and I was pleased to see my favourite XC powercar on the back, 43207. I got a photo of it before going to see what was up front. 43384 was leading the set and my camera was pleased at this as it meant I could get a photo to finally have one of all the XC powercars. I already had a couple of 384 but they were both taken when it was stopped at New Street so were both dire and rather grainy.
43207 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
43384 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I hopped aboard and, even though I was on a FOSS and only going to Bristol Parkway, I still got the nervous tingle that I had when using loopholes on these - so many times leaving Temple Meads on a Cross Country tram while on a Droitwich-Claverdon has changed me :lol:. The journey to Parkway didn't take long and I was only there for a couple of minutes before my next Great Western set arrived. This was one heading to Wales and was 43170 and 43012. I got a bay of 2 on board and had soon passed into Wales for the first time on the trip. I wasn't in there too long though because, after getting a couple of photos of my tram having got off at Newport it was straight back towards Bristol on 43175 and 43147.
43170 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

A swift run to Bristol Parkway got me there on time and I first saw my train to Temple Meads as a reflection that suddenly made me worried for all of a second. It was a South West Trains sprinter and I immediately thought 159 when I first saw it. Of course it isn't - it was the SWT 158 that is on hire to GWR, today winner 158881. The door closest to the steps at Bristol Parkway was locked out of use so I joined the other door in that coach and walked to the bay of 4 closest to the front. The seats on these are truly excellent and it was a very comfy experience having been on GWR trams for much of the day. I'd worked out a way to get a shack score on my way to Temple Meads so, checking RTT several times en route to confirm that the 166 on the Severn Beach line hadn't given up I bailed at Lawrence Hill, my last shack score of the day.

My 166 to Temple Meads was running a few minutes late but I could soon see it arriving with winner 166205.
Cascaded traction by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I knew that this unit is the one that GWR tarted up inside, including the 1st class section that is no longer 1st class. This had leather seats so I made a beeline straight for there and had some nice comfort in my bay of 4 for the short hop to Temple Meads.
The old 1st class by fishquinn1, on Flickr
166205 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
43185 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I had a few minutes until my Chippenham train now and I found out that it would be double boring 43158 and 43125 taking me back to dad.
Heading for Weston by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I got a seat away from most of the other normal and it was an uneventful journey back to Chippenham where I immediately headed to dad, who was waiting in the car in a retail park not far away. It didn't take me long to get there and we were soon driving to our base camp, The Jolly Huntsman in Kingston St Michael. Check in went smoothly and we headed to the room to dump our stuff and chill out before going for dinner, which we went to for about 19:30 after dad had had a sleep.

I went for beef lasagna this evening and it was incredibly tasty. I'd highly recommend it, even if just for dinner. The customer service there makes you forget that you're a customer and can't help but leave you with a grin. We both managed pudding today, the first time in all the times of staying there that dad had managed it, and we went for the cheesecake. It was just the best cheesecake in the world and we were both rammed after it. Usually we'd stay for about 15 more minutes after finishing dinner but today it was so much longer because of the extent of our conversation. We were in there for at least 2 hours after finishing food! It was a truly excellent meal and we returned to the room after that to Skype mum and finally get to sleep.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Dhassell

A good read of a semi close area to me! :)
Hope you enjoyed your FOSS, I assume you did a 3 in 7? I'm currently on day 4 of 8 of my 8 in 15 FOSS which I started on monday!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Cheers :)

Nope, I also did an 8 in 15 (but only used 7 days of it). I've got the next two days written up already but they won't get posted until at least Monday because I'm in Yorkshire at the moment. Enjoy the remaining days of your FOSS!

Kite159

Veteran Member
The GWR ones certainly aren't as good as a refurbished ATW one thrashing up the Borderlands line ;)

Good point... It's back to trams tomorrow though :lol:

Same here now ;)

Borderlands line is dull as dishwater which has been left for a couple days, no chance for the 150 to pick up any decent speed at the southern end of the line ;)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The Southern end is dull (relatively - Hope to Wrexham being the Southern end) but the jointed track and decent speed on the northern end is rather fun ;). So are the hills.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It's all quite dull, the Wirral line is much more interesting.
I'll take a GW 150 over an ATW one any day, the former is much more likely to be actually cleaned.

If you want 150 thrash the Reading to Basingstoke line was very good. The Severn Beach line is good as well.

Established Member
I'll take a GW 150 over an ATW one any day, the former is much more likely to be actually cleaned.

If you want 150 thrash the Reading to Basingstoke line was very good. The Severn Beach line is good as well.

The jointed track is the only good thing about the Borderlands! The Wirral line on the other hand is hellfire

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

The jointed track is the only good thing about the Borderlands! The Wirral line on the other hand is hellfire
What's so good about the Wirral line? Rubbish trains, stopping every minute or two, nothing of interest on route. That pretty much sums it up...

Regarding the cleaning of 150s, of course the ATW ones are worse - they're operated by Arriva ;)

Kite159

Veteran Member

Still not as good as a 150 at full speed between Salisbury & Warminster

Established Member
What's so good about the Wirral line? Rubbish trains, stopping every minute or two, nothing of interest on route. That pretty much sums it up...

Regarding the cleaning of 150s, of course the ATW ones are worse - they're operated by Arriva ;)

Rubbish trains?? How dare you!:D Hooton-Chester (in particular) is hellfire!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Rubbish trains?? How dare you!:D Hooton-Chester (in particular) is hellfire!
Grotty things ;)

Approaching the new '76: Day 2

The next day was Tuesday the 11th of July and was the day that I'd booked my advance to head to Reading via Newbury. I woke at about 07:00 and immediately got ready for the day ahead. Breakfast was at 07:30 and I had time to upload my multitude of photos from the previous day before leaving for brekky. It was one of the many really soche members of staff on duty this morning for breakfast and, being too full from last night for an HDOAP we both went for scrambled egg on toast. It was light so was perfect for this morning and was very tasty too.

We left Kingston St Michael at about 08:00 and drove to Chippenham. Dad walked me down to the station and I'd already decided to go for the 08:30 Westbury again, having come up with a plan to get a few more shacks before my tram to Reading. I wasn't too happy to see the same 153 as yesterday, 153370 but I got on anyway having asked the guard. I took it for exactly the same run as yesterday - to Trowbridge.
Looking down by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Instead of changing platforms for the Gloucester service today I was to go down towards Westbury. The Gloucester was unfortunately a winner but I still wasn't swayed to go for it and instead waited for the slightly late running winner 158959 on the 08:55 Portsmouth. I got a seat in the front coach and was soon arriving at Westbury. I didn't bail here though as Westbury was actually a dud shack and I had a different one in my sights.

We were soon passing Westbury yard, which housed 4 of the 7 new Colas 70s. Unfortunately the 3 missing were the 3 that I needed for sight! Typical. At least I could properly claim 70811 and 813 though as I'd seen them both but hadn't been able to ID them using the numbers. Anyway, having viewed the white horse of Wiltshire for a while I was reaching Warminster, shack score 1. I got a few photos after arriving and gave mum a call while waiting for my service back towards Westbury. This was one of the units that I'd had yesterday (and it'd been dud then), 150234.
Warminster by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was a surprisingly busy service and I got one of the last seats remaining. My plan had me taking this back out to Trowbridge as a fill in move before Dilton Marsh. We were running on time and there were no problems on the ride out to Trowbridge. On the station there are several little facts about Trowbridge, such as the population and the fact that it was the county town of Wiltshire. According to dad they missed out the fact that it's the most dire place in Wiltshire. Granddad used to work in the Salisbury police force and, according to dad, if there was overtime in Trowbridge none of the force would take it because of how awful Trowbridge was. A pair of GBRF 66s passed through on a 'posh persons charter' (the Royal Scotsman) and I saw the unit that I'd get from Westbury to Dilton Marsh and back at as it headed to Westbury. I flagged it though - after all, I'd get it in a few minute anyway. It was annoying as it was another unit that I'd had the day before. Winner 158960 was following it and I was soon back at Westbury, changing platforms for the 10:08 Warminster. This was, as expected, dud 150131.

There are two doors that you need to go through to get into the cab on a GWR 150 from the passenger compartment. The first leads to the guard's local door and has a window. The second you can't see through unless it's open. It was quite funky to see that the door between the cab and the guard's local door was open, allowing me to get a view out of the back as we left Westbury.
Through the window by fishquinn1, on Flickr
That didn't last too long though because the moment we went around the first corner the door shut by itself. I'd requested the train to stop at Dilton Marsh and I was the only passenger boarding or alighting at one of (if not the) shortest platforms in the country.
Short but funky by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Mini by fishquinn1, on Flickr

According to dad the platforms used to be made of wooden sleepers but it seems they've redone the platforms because they're now some fairly modern material. I got several photos of the incredibly short platforms and the first 10 minutes of my 20-minute fester were spent p*ssing myself laughing at them ;).
The approach to the station by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Help me - I'm stuck at Dilton Marsh by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I wasn't the only passenger going back to Westbury and 150131 returned a few minutes late.
Approaching by fishquinn1, on Flickr
They'll hold the connection for the Bristol surely? It would currently be a +1 so should still be doable. Of course they wouldn't hold the connection though - that'd be logical! We arrived alongside it on the island platform and, just as our doors unlocked it started moving. The last train to Bristol for 30 minutes too. This would now begin to put my connection at Bath onto my tram to Reading in jeopardy, as it'd now be a +10. Should be doable but what are the odds that my cart will be delayed...

I headed up to the platform end at Westbury to get some photos of the bettys and 59s before having a chat with an enthusiast for the remainder of my fester.
Westbury by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Westbury 59s by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was good to have someone to talk to and it certainly filled the time before the 11:10 Cardiff, which was thankfully on time. Before that arrived though I got to see a tram from the West Country to London. It annoyingly included 43193, a powercar that was needed for 100. 43098 was leading the set and I thought that I needed that too when I first saw it but I actually needed 093, 094 and 097.
Locos of Westbury by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Westbury by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Anyway, I changed platforms after getting a photo of 193 and watched it leave before winner 158954 arrived on my train to Bath. A winner - something I wouldn't have got if I'd made the earlier connection.

The ride to Bath was luckily uneventful and we arrived on time, giving me plenty of time to change platform for the 11:46 Paddington. I waited up towards the London end of the platform as I was in 1st class (lucky me) and I could soon see an HST arriving. Dud from yesterday 43162 was leading so I assumed that it'd be 43139 on the back. I found out that I was correct on arrival at Reading. I took my reserved seat in the coach right behind the powercar, a forward facing single seat on the left hand side.

The food trolley came through not long after leaving and I got a croissant and orange juice from the friendly host. The guard came through for a ticket check not long after that and it was a pleasant run down the Avon Valley. I decided to move into a vacant bay of 4 next to my bay of 1 for the extra room and it was a fun journey, turning left at Hawkridge Junction to join the Berks and Hants.
1st class by fishquinn1, on Flickr

It was a speedy run down the Berks and Hants and the next time the trolley came round was on the approach to Reading. By the approach to Reading I mean between Reading West and Reading! The host let me take a couple of things with me and I got a few photos after bailing.
43002 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I noticed a random bag that had been left unattended with no visible owner sat on a bench but thought nothing of it until someone ran to the door just as the tram had started leaving and called me to give him the bag. Due to me being quick it didn't get left behind but it was a very close one!

My connection at Reading wasn't too long but I saw a 'Super Hitachi Intercity train' while waiting. Yep, I think that nickname for the IEPs describes them perfectly (I didn't think of it - credit to whoever did). It had just come from Paddington and a couple of minutes after it had arrived another pair came from the same direction.
GWR's new rubbish by fishquinn1, on Flickr
A pair of IEPs coming from the Paddington direction at Reading - a sign of things to come (unfortunately). Anyway, I was soon boarding the 13:10 Swansea.

I was very glad at GWR's choice for this as winner for 100 43176 was leading. I was also glad at the rear powercar with my second favourite (it's recently been demoted but I still love the powercar) GWR powercar, 43053.
Reading by fishquinn1, on Flickr
The guard on this tram was very soche and said hi to me before boarding. I also noticed that instead of using his normal whistle for dispatching he'd put two fingers to his mouth and whistle really loudly. A really nice guy, that for sure. Back in 1st class the trolley had soon come round and I got a few more snacks. I was only going to Swindon on this set and it was a pleasant run, getting off about half an hour later. The guard said bye to me after I got off and, having got a few photos, I changed platform for my service back towards Reading.

Before changing platform I noticed that a tram set had arrived in the centre roads on an ECS. I wandered down to get the rear powercar number and I think I know why it was ECS - the powercar was sounding very poorly. It was doing an incredibly loud noise for an MTU and that was only when idling. Surprisingly this powercar was 43192, which caught fire at Burnham not too long after. Maybe it wasn't treated and it just got worse? Anyway, I was the one who, when I'd seen where it'd caught fire got the comedic bit. It'd caught fire at Burnham... Let's Burn 'em!

I recognized the leading powercar on my set as soon as I saw it, having read about it that morning. I hadn't seen the set on my FOSS but Cactustwirly had had this set earlier in the day while taking a trip himself. I didn't know what was on the back but 43086 was leading. I got a seat in 1st class and the guard was round not long after the trolley. He was a soche guard and the 1st class host was friendly too. The run back to Reading didn't last long and I'd soon ended my 1st class experience for the day. Back into the god awful seats of standard now...

43031 was identified as the rear loco on my set at Reading, where I had a few minutes before the 14:41 Cardiff. This was a pair of powercars that I'd had the day before and hadn't really liked then - 43088 and 43164. I decided not to go any further than Swindon on this set and instead view what the Weston-Super-Mare 15 minutes behind was. Another 41.25 miles on the total for these powercars and I took a seat on the bench for a while after getting to Swindon.
Through the rain by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I could soon see the Weston approaching and the leading powercar, 43126, meant nothing to me. The rear powercar did though as it's one that is now my favourite GWR powercar (having got really annoyed at it for being a stalker only a few months ago I was now hooked). EAVIS! Yep, 43026 was on the back. To Weston-super-Mare we go.

I was able to get a decent seat for the run and immediately used the wifi and my I-pod to check what I could do. Going through to Weston would be fine as it would only wait there for 20 minutes or so before returning so I decided to go for it. I'd planned to meet dad at Westbury for the evening so we could see what was there so that'd work well with getting to Westbury as well. The run to Weston was uneventful and we stopped at 3 intermediate stops between Temple Meads and Weston on the way down.

I got multiple photos of Eavis while here and it didn't feel like we were in Weston for long (thank god).
Eavis at Weston by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was a non stop run back as far as Temple Meads, where I stayed on board. This set would now go to Paddington via Newbury but it still had a stop at Bath so that's where I bailed. My original plan was to get the next cart through to Westbury but dad wouldn't be ready to meet me for ages if I got that so a new plan had been formed - a return to Temple Meads first. 43138 and 43177 were the ex Paddington that should be a -1 but it was running 5-10 minutes late which allowed me to get on board. A fast run back to Bristol was had and I was soon watching the arrival of my last tram for the day, having seen another set while waiting.
43025 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Around the bend by fishquinn1, on Flickr
43071 and 43180 were to take me to Bath. Neither were needed for 100 or the year but 071 had been had to Pembroke and back the year before so an extra 11.5 miles would move it slightly closer to the magical thou'. This was a fairly busy Paddington bound service but I still managed to get a seat for the short ride to Bath, by which point I was getting really hungry, having not eaten since my 1st class goodies earlier in the day (that was my lunch). With about 25 minutes to kill I decided to go to the nearby Sainsbury's local for sustenance.

I grabbed a pack of 10 mini beef pasties and opened the pack on the way back to the station. I was soon waiting for my unit to Westbury, the 19:10. It was a 150/1 and I wasn't too happy when I saw which it was - my stalker 150131 had decided to return. Having scored it the day before I'd now had it 4 times! Still, I managed to get a seat up front and it wasn't such a bad run (compared to a run on a 142 that is ;)) back to Westbury.

It was now raining rather heavily so we decided not to do our planned walk to view parts of Westbury yard. Dad had arrived about 15-20 minutes before me and we didn't hang around too long after I got off. It was out to the car and we were soon leaving the station to go towards Chippenham (and Kingston St Michael). We had to pass through Melksham to get there and, as the station wasn't far off the route at all, he offered to take me there so I could at least get it for 'standage'. I'd still need to arrive or depart by train but it was a start. From there it was back to the Jolly Huntsman for tea.

This evening I went for the ham egg and chips. It was a massive portion and was excellent, as was the customer service, which left me with a grin yet again. Another terrific evening and, although I say this all the time, it's a highly recommended place to stay.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sounds like a good day, especialy with your favourite powercar ;)

I think Gilfach Fargoed is a little bit shorter than Dilton Marsh, and I think either Conon Bridge or Beauly is the shortest in the country.

This is your thing isn't it?

Sat 26th & Sun 27th Aug. 2x Class 47's TnT.

1Z18 09:40 BMO - MYB 11:45 (LMS 10:06 / BAN 10:28)
1Z33 13:00 MYB - BMO 15:10 (BAN 14:17 / LMS 14:38)
1Z47 15:40 BMO - MYB 17:45 (LMS 16:06 / BAN 16:28)
1Z67 21:35 MYB - BMO 23:33 (BAN 22:40 / LMS 23:01)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I suspect those loco hauled services will be rammed, especially with warnings at Moor Street that a queuing system may be in place.

Cue the 09:40 BMO - MYB breaking down (as that is what 47s are better known for) between Leamington & Banbury causing chaos for both Chiltern & XC :lol:

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Enjoyed reading the last couple of reports fq. Some excellent photos too.
That is a very short platform, it made me wonder if the combined length of the ramps were longer than the actual platform bit for the passengers?
Perhaps they got the idea from Hornby? ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 14

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sorry for my absence from this thread for a while - I've been really busy of late.

Agreed ;)

Sounds like a good day, especialy with your favourite powercar ;)

I think Gilfach Fargoed is a little bit shorter than Dilton Marsh, and I think either Conon Bridge or Beauly is the shortest in the country.
I forgot about the others that are really short. Looking at images of them they may well be the smallest.

This is your thing isn't it?

Sat 26th & Sun 27th Aug. 2x Class 47's TnT.

1Z18 09:40 BMO - MYB 11:45 (LMS 10:06 / BAN 10:28)
1Z33 13:00 MYB - BMO 15:10 (BAN 14:17 / LMS 14:38)
1Z47 15:40 BMO - MYB 17:45 (LMS 16:06 / BAN 16:28)
1Z67 21:35 MYB - BMO 23:33 (BAN 22:40 / LMS 23:01)
Thanks for the gen - I made full use out of them :lol:

I suspect those loco hauled services will be rammed, especially with warnings at Moor Street that a queuing system may be in place.

Cue the 09:40 BMO - MYB breaking down (as that is what 47s are better known for) between Leamington & Banbury causing chaos for both Chiltern & XC :lol:
Thankfully no to both :lol:

Enjoyed reading the last couple of reports fq. Some excellent photos too.
That is a very short platform, it made me wonder if the combined length of the ramps were longer than the actual platform bit for the passengers?
Perhaps they got the idea from Hornby? ;)
Only one ramp for each but the platform is probably about the same length as the ramp!

Approaching the new '76: Day 3

Day 3, Wednesday the 12th of July started at the same time as the day before: 07:00. We went for breakfast at 07:30 as usual and, having had a massive dinner the night before we decided to go for scrambled egg on toast again. It was nice and filling again and it was nice to have another chat with the guy who served it. Honestly, I haven't ever had a place, hotel or anything, where you get customer service this consistently good.

I got to go through my 200 or so photos from previous day before it was time to head out and, once again, I decided to go for the 08:30 Westbury as it saved me hanging around. We'd soon reached the car park and dad decided to walk me to Chippenham station once more. I was expecting the same 153 as the previous two days so I was nicely surprised to see a blue one sat in the platform. This was winner 153369 and I got a nice bay of 4 on board once again. Dad waved me off before heading to work himself and, just like the previous two days I was off at Trowbridge. I'd noticed that on all three days I'd done this service the people alighting at the guard's local door all thanked them before getting off. I always do the same anyway, so it was no difference for me but it was nice to see that other people also did for a change.
Away from Trowbridge by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I was on the Gloucester service again today and I wasn't there for long as winner 150108 was running on time.
Trowbridge by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I got a seat up front and my plan was to bail at Avoncliff, which would give me a +10 onto a service back towards Bradford-on-Avon. I was looking forward to getting Avoncliff, not only because it would be my last shack between Warminster and Bristol but also because I knew it to be a lovely station in a lovely area so I was hoping to have a quick explore. Alas it wasn't to be as, upon checking RTT I found out that my return service was running 20-late so I'd take ages to get back towards Bath. One to try for tomorrow then.

I decided to continue to Bristol until I saw that the 08:50 from Chippenham, the one that I'd get if I hadn't gone for the run towards Trowbridge on the Westbury, was running late so I'd be able to get it from Bath to Bristol by bailing and waiting for a couple of minutes. This was done and I could soon see the ex Chippenham approaching. It was a 153+150 combo, winner 153318 leading. It was dud 150261 on the back.
Bath Spa by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I'd seen this set on one of the evening Chippenham services the day before so they hadn't decided to split up overnight and had managed to end up on one of the morning Chippenham ones. Why? I have no idea.

It was a slow run through to Temple Meads because we were following the Gloucester service, which stopped at Oldfield Park and Keynsham. Anyway, I had just under half an hour to kill after arriving at Temple Meads so I got a few photos and just hung around for it. The last HST that I'd had the day before was to form the first one of today, 43071 and 43180. This was the 10:07 Paddington, one via Bristol Parkway. I got a bay of 2 on board and watched the countryside roll past as well as keeping an eye on RTT to check my connection at Swindon. It'd be a very tight one and, if missed, would give me a half hour fester. I was really hoping it'd make and, as soon as I saw the leading powercar I knew that I just had to make it. It was the powercar that had been with Eavis the day before and I most certainly wanted to get it again. I sprinted through the subway and, much to my delight made 43126 and 43026. To Cardiff!

I got a seat in the coach that is half 1st class, half standard class. In the sets which have them this is my favourite standard class coach, not only because it's 50% dire standard class seats instead of 100% (although I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a contributing factor). This area has a standard class seat that is single (so a bay of 1) and has 4 bays of 4, making it a nicer environment. Also, although I'm sure it's must coincidence, the coach always seems less busy than the rest of the train. This was the case (or felt like it) on this run, where I was in the single seat. RTT was used to work out my moves after Cardiff and even on the approach I was toying with the idea of chinging up to go to Swansea but decided against it. We were running about 10 minutes late for a mixture of reasons (we were about 2-late from Swindon before having to wait for a late running XC at Bristol Parkway. We also had some slow running so the +10 back towards Swindon passed us just outside Cardiff. This would mean that I could get out to Swindon and back to Newport to continue on Eavis so I decided to do this, bailing at Cardiff Central.

I got a couple of photos of Eavis here before turning my attention to the DB donut that had just rolled in on a steel train.
43026 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Cardiff donut by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Several photos were got of this and I watched it leave (unfortunately that was the point the 'video' function on my camera decided to play up). Then it was over to platform 1 to make use of the 1st class lounge while waiting for my train.
In need of a paint job by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I was able to have a good amount of 1st class refreshments while waiting for my next tram and it was 43177 and 43138 that would be taking me from Cardiff. I got a decent enough seat on board and decided to change my plan about heading to Swindon in an effort to maximize the number of sets I could get. This involved bailing at Bristol Parkway for another one back to Newport. I did so and wasn't at Bristol Parkway for long before 43148 and 43163 arrived on a Swansea service. This was a lightly loaded service and it was a fast enough journey back through the tunnel to Wales.
Away from Newport by fishquinn1, on Flickr
I bailed at Newport as planned and got a few photos. One of these was a photo of a 175 (011) that was missing the last 7 of it's number on one end so, if you didn't know about trains (for example a trainspotter that had just started) it may well have been recorded as '17501'. Sounds like a more hellfire way to travel down the Marches though, I have to say ;).
A new class... by fishquinn1, on Flickr

43155 and 43187 were to be my next powercars, once again to Bristol Parkway.
A reflection by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Another uneventful journey and the connection at Bristol Parkway was slightly tighter this time because we were running a few minutes late. My connection was already in but it wasn't due to leave for another few minutes so I had time to change platforms and get onto 43182, not knowing what was on the back. I found out at Newport that this was 43003, a winner for the year.

I got my bottle of water filled up at Upper Cost while waiting for my next train, which was to be Eavis yet again. This was done with no problem and I was soon watching 43026 arrive with 43126 still safely on the rear (thankfully - it would've been a bit catastrophic if it wasn't). I got a seat in the same coach as I was in on the way down (the half standard, half 1st one) and went back onto GWR's wifi for a forum catch-up and RTT check. I decided to go for the mileage move this time and head for Didcot. I'd missed out on Cardiff-Newport on this service so I may as well make it up - it's 026 after all! The run to Didcot was had without any problems and there would be no need to wait very long for a service back as 43136 and 43130 would give me a +10 or so at Didcot. This pair took me back up to Swindon and was surprisingly busy. I bailed at Swindon to check the Weston behind, much like I had the day before. After I bailed I heard someone talking to the guard about the IEPs and, when he said 'big cost though' the guard replied with 'yep, but big improvement'. For you maybe, with no need to shut doors anymore but for the passenger? Not a hope. Still, it's new so it must be good. I swear that more and more people are thinking that way now...

The Weston-super-Mare wasn't the most thrilling partnership but I went for it anyway. 43021 and 43156 were to be my steeds to Bristol and I called dad to let him know my expected arrival time at Westbury once I knew. Yep, we were going for Westbury again this evening but we were actually going to go for a trip out on the train from there too. Our service would leave at 19:14 and as it was only 16:30 now I had plenty of time. The run to Bristol was the same as usual and I got a few photos there before getting on board the 17:18 Chippenham for a simple Bath leap. I was pleased at GWR's choice for this because the leading powercar, 43154, was needed for the year and the back powercar, 43186 was my highest mileage GWR powercar on a whopping 917 miles. Even though it would only be another 11.5 miles, it's still something closer to the magical thou'!

I didn't have long to wait at Bath for my next service - a Portsmouth one. It would've been less but the Portsmouth was running about 5 minutes late - something that is apparently common with this service. This was annoying because it meant that my planned +2 at Bradford-on-Avon to score Avoncliff was out. Instead I'd have to revert to plan B which, although it wouldn't get me any winner shacks would probably get me at least one winner for haulage. Winner 158952 was on the Portsmouth service, which was a very busy service. I was in the very back vestibule with a few other people and I'd hate to imagine what it'd be like further down... Anyway, I was standing until Bradford where I was able to get a seat in the luggage rack. I was able to get a 'proper' seat by Trowbridge. I continued to Westbury as plan B told me to, starting to get worried that plan B would also fail due to our delay (I was meant to have a +10 at Westbury and we were currently 9-late. It turns out I had nothing to worry about though due to the confusing signaling choice. We were put in on platform 3 and, with me safely off the train, left at about 19:11. My connecting service, which was right time from Warminster, was held outside Westbury station just so it could go into platform 3 instead of the available platform 1. As a result I got to listen to a 59 idling (paired in multi with a 66) while I waited for winner 158957, which left Westbury 7-late. This is one of the 158s that GWR have made green on the inside and it's quite a nice interior.
I didn't have long to look at it as I was off at Trowbridge. Thankfully the delay meant I had less time at Trowbridge before the 18:29 Weymouth. Leading the pair of 150s was a familiar unit. 150131 had decided to return. Since I scored it on the first day I'd had it 5 times! I'm only 3 days in, too! The rear unit was of more interest though because it was winner 150265. At least one of them was required!

I'd soon reached Westbury, where dad was waiting.
150131 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
We had about 35 minutes until our train so we took a seat in the sun on one of the benches after getting our required tickets for this move. I got some photos and we got to view a service heading to the West Country before our service towards Padd. Why am I mentioning it? It seems that, in the time I'd last seen the set (at Didcot earlier in the day), Eavis had managed to do Didcot-Padd-Westbury! I bade farewell as it left towards Exeter and turned my attention to 70806 because it was doing a little shunting in the yard.
43026 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

The 19:14 Paddington was soon arriving with a set that I hadn't yet seen (until this point, obviously), 43149 and 43171. We got on board and I left dad in the vestibule (as he was on the phone to mum) while I went to find seats. A fairly good bay of 2 was selected and dad joined me not long after. We'd only be going 20 miles on this set but at the time I thought it was rather good. It always seems to be this way - when I see a run is 20 miles I seem to think 'oh good - a decent run'. It's probably the 17-minute run from Leam to Banbury that makes me think of that compared to the half hour run from Leam to Moor Street for an extra 22.75 miles. In reality 20 miles isn't a long run on a GWR tram, especially when you consider that I always seem to say on a Reading to Didcot leap 'it's only 17 miles. That's nothing'. Anyway, enough ranting. We were taking the 20-mile run to Pewsey, which was a winner shack.

We passed the 59+66 combo that I'd seen at Westbury earlier in Woodborough loop, not too far from Pewsey. Pewsey is a lovely little station and I got many photos of it while there.
Pewsey by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was all very peaceful until a very heavy train tackling Savernake bank roared though. It was that 59 and 66 that we'd passed on the way and blimey were they making a racket!
Tackling Savernake by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was surprising on its own to also hear and see the 66 working - it's got to be ages since I've seen a freight train with both locos working. Hearing the 59 take that hill from a standing start at Woodborough was utterly amazing and worth the trip to Pewsey itself but we were to be having another tram yet! This was a set I'd already had but I was certainly happy to get it again as 43176 was with 43053, my second favourite GWR powercar. This was the evening Paddington-Frome service and there weren't many people on it at this point so we easily got a decent bay of 4. This service went via Westbury but we didn't bail because the bit from Westbury to Frome was, in a way, the most special part of the entire journey. Very few trams go this way so it'd be great to tick Frome off as a shack, an HST destination, and the track from Clink Road junction to Frome. The guard came through to say that only the rear few coaches would be platformed so we wandered down and got some funky tram track at the same time. I got many photos from the vestibule window as we went along (as did dad) and I hopped off the tram at Frome to score the shack and confirm that it was still 053 on the back. Frome is another gorgeous station, with an overall roof despite being a single platform.
Frome by fishquinn1, on Flickr

The tram didn't spend long at Frome before it had to go back to Westbury. This is one service from Frome to Westbury, a journey of 5.75 miles. Can anyone think of an HST service (in passenger service) that has a shorter distance between origin and destination?

It was a nice run back to Westbury, getting many more photos as we went.
Clink Road jcn by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Approaching Westbury by fishquinn1, on Flickr
All to soon it was time to bail but we had a chance to get a last couple of photos before the set went ECS to St Phillips Marsh. After that it was time to head back towards Chippenham and , with a stop off to grab some tea on the way home. We left the station but the plan changed and we decided to go for a walk to see what was in the yard. Dad used to do this walk incredibly regularly back in the day but they've now said that no one is allowed to and fenced it off. How lovely. Oh well - dinner it is!

The plan was, until Melksham, to stop off at Melksham chippy. We even pulled into ASDA to get some cash but at that point decided to just get some rolls with paté and other bits and bobs to have back at the Jolly Huntsman. With that we left ASDA (it's our least favourite supermarket by a long way so we wouldn't want to get anything there) and drove to Sainsbury's on the outskirts of Chippenham to get stuff. Lots of food was sourced, including a 2L bottle of water for 20p (Smiths likes to charge £2.50 for something like that) before we headed back to the room and had a feast while chatting with mum on Skype. What a great way to end a great day. Just a shame that it's my penultimate day here tomorrow...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
"Mmm Ham"
-Kite159, August 2017

A pair of nice reads there Fish. I'm envious of your time in HST First Class!

As for Frome-Westbury...I hear the rumblings of a trivia thread in the making ;)
HST 1st class is certainly good but it'll be nothing compared to the amount of time I'll be spending on one in December (again, in 1st).

Oh no, not another trivia thread ;).

Sounded like a good day on your FOSS. Well done for scoring Pewsey as it isn't the easiest (or cheapest) to get
The family and friends railcard certainly helped reduce the cost of the Westbury-Pewsey return and it was a fairly cheap spin in the end.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice couple of trips there Mr Quinn. I almost gulped when I saw that you'd posted something as I thought it might be about five pages worth which would require some time off to read through :lol:.
More and more GWR green around isn't there? Our units seem to be getting painted quicker than I can paint a house at the moment...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Very nice couple of trips there Mr Quinn. I almost gulped when I saw that you'd posted something as I thought it might be about five pages worth which would require some time off to read through :lol:.
More and more GWR green around isn't there? Our units seem to be getting painted quicker than I can paint a house at the moment...
My reports are rather long, you're not wrong ;). I think GWR have more people per unit than you do per house though ;).

Perhaps you should change careers good Sir?

Nice writeup FQ
Cheers!

Approaching the new '76: Day 4

I awoke at the same time as on every other day on the Thursday morning. As we'd had a small dinner the night before both dad and I were able to go for the fry up for brekky. It was a tasty breakfast and we had a nice chat with the person serving us. Then it was back to the room for a couple of minutes before heading to the car for the drive to Chippenham. Dad decided against coming to the station today and instead going and getting some work done so dropped me off fairly close to the station leaving me to walk there. I got there just before my unit to Westbury had arrived and I was surprised to see that, instead of a 153, I'd have a 150.
The Westbury shuttle by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was a winner too so after getting a photo I happily boarded. Winner 150246 was to take me towards Trowbridge. I got a bay of 4 on board with no problems and, just after getting on, 70815 passed through on the other platform heading towards Westbury on an engineering train! This was needed for sight for both dad and I - something which dad pointed out as the one day he decided not to come down the station was the one day something of interest passed.

The journey to Trowbridge was uneventful and I was soon alighting with the same plan as the day before: finally get Avoncliff. I changed platforms to get on the Gloucester cart and found out that the RPI who travels on this service every day boards here. I was getting on winner 150121 8 minutes after I was meant to. This would cut my fester down at Avoncliff but not destroy it so I bailed there as planned. It's a lovely little station in a lovely area.
Avoncliff by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Avoncliff by fishquinn1, on Flickr
The way to change platforms is going over an aqueduct with the canal. I spent all of my fester getting photos and admiring the lovely place before running back to the Westbury bound platform for winner 150129. I hopped on and my plan was to get off at Bradford-on-Avon. This was the same service that I'd got from Freshford on day 1 so I should get on the same service and I was pleased that the connection was made with ease.
Away from Bradford by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Dud 158961 took me away from Bradford and I bailed at Bath today instead of Keynsham as I had on day 1.

I would finally be starting with trams now and wasn't at Bath for long before I could see it arriving. After managing to avoid a massive hornet I got on this reverse formation set with 43146 leading and, making use of the view into the powercar from the 1st class end to get the number, 43159.

I made use of the wifi while on the short hop and saw that there was something rather odd following us while using a realtime map. It's headcode was 1S41, which is a Cross Country 221 from the South West to Scotland. Why's it going this way though when it's meant to go via Bridgwater from Taunton? I assumed that there was some sort of issue on the line between Bristol and Taunton, which wasn't helpful as my next planned service was meant to be one from that direction. Anyway, we were soon approaching Bristol Temple Meads and, not knowing what was going to happen for my tram to Swindon, I decided to get to the vestibule door as soon as possible (as it would be a tight plus if it were running to time). I saw no GWR tram in the platforms but something else caught my eye: A Cross Country tram at the Bristol Parkway end of platform 11: It usually pulls right the way down the platform. I decided to sprint over knowing that it may be diverted via Bath and quickly asked the Train Manager if it was going via Bath when I got to the top of the stairs. I got told that it was so jumped on and I was soon leaving Temple Meads towards Bath on a Cross Country tram set; 43303 and 43304.

It was a slow run out of Bristol and towards Bath due to following a stopping cart. That would be the farmer bonus of the rails as it was a service heading down towards Westbury stopping everywhere. This will be a highly thrilling run to Westbury... We got stopped on the approach to Bath so I hopped out of my seat and headed to the vestibule, getting a few photos as we passed through Bath - not something that happens very often on an XC tram.
Diverted via Bath by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was fun doing it non stop too.
Diverted by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Alas we were soon stopped again, this time at Bathampton Junction and it was very slow as we headed down towards Freshford, stopping a couple of signals before there on the way. I got some more photos and admired the excellent scenery while we waited for it to clear what I assume was Bradford-on-Avon with the amount of time we were waiting.
Some tram thrash was gained as we wound our way through the Avon Valley and the cart must have been able to get a couple of signal sections ahead as we passed Trowbridge at line speed.

We had a red as we entered the platform at Westbury but that went to a yellow just in time so there was no need to stop before I could get several numbers from the yard. As we joined the Berks and Hants I walked through the train to find a bay of 4 because window hanging on this section is about as fun as sitting in a prison cell all day. Sitting down doesn't make any difference in that respect but at least I could rest my legs.

The service that we were following down the Avon Valley turned out to be a Weymouth but it luckily went via Frome and was held at the junction so we could overtake it. After that there was no more disruptions on the journey but I kept on looking at the time as there was a tram heading in the Bristol direction that I could get from Taunton if we got a move on.

It was a fast run through to Taunton and I could see a voyager waiting to head north in one platform and my tram in the other. I leapt of the XC tram and ran through the subway towards the GWR one, hearing whistles blowing and a door slamming as I did so. Please don't miss! I got onto the platform to see several doors still wide open and multiple orange lights lit on the sides of the coaches. Excellent! I got on and got a bay of 2 knowing that I still needed to get the back powercar when I bailed. The front one, 43040, had been identified as I arrived. The guard had soon announced that we were going to take a diversionary route to Bristol (three guesses which) and the tram left Taunton just under 10-late. I'm pretty sure it'll loose more time on the way!

The journey was uneventful and a special stop order was arranged for Bath as there were 15 passengers wanting it (the guard had gone through and asked everyone if they wanted it).
Approaching Westbury by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Although I had said that I wanted Bristol to the guard I decided to get off at Bath as and RTT check showed that there was an ex Paddington tram following us by a couple of minutes. The rear powercar was identified as 43041 while here and I wasn't at the station long before yet another tram came into view: 43169 and 43183. Neither were needed for 100 so the 11.5-mile run through to Temple Meads was fine and I got a couple of photos of the set I'd bailed from at Bath here as it took a couple of minutes to reverse before heading towards Swindon. I didn't have long to change platforms here for the 13:04 Paddington, the previous service having left just under an hour late but there was enough time to get the powercar numbers: a pair of green ones in the form of 43016 and 43005. We left Temple Meads bang on time but ended up following a stopper so were about 4-late by Parkway. This would destroy my intended connection at Swindon and would leave me with just under half an hour to wait for the next Westbound service. This service was non-stop to Reading and I didn't want to ching up for that so got off at Swindon for plan B: a run to Didcot. I had just enough time to get a photo of 43005 before having to board the ex Cheltenham tram which was booked out at 13:45. It left a couple of minutes late with 43190 and 43144. Neither thrilling powercars but it filled a gap I guess.

One of Nat's last few GBRF 66s was at Didcot on a light engine (it's now one of the last two he needs) so I had a little laugh to myself about that - it keeps on avoiding him and would actually be working through Leamington later in the day (as it had been for the past month - he just hadn't had a chance to go out for it). I got a couple of photos of that before changing platforms and looking at random things on the station including a sign on the front of a large cupboard listing so many hazardous things that are contained within and not to enter unless necessary and not without permission. As such it has now been named the Didcot death cupboard. The sign may as well have said 'Do not enter or one of the many chemicals included in here will kill you in one way or the other. We hope you have a nice day, GWR'. OK, maybe not exactly like that.

After seeing one of my powercars needed for 100 heading the other way (damn!) I got on board 43141 and 43161.
A lineup of three by fishquinn1, on Flickr
This was a Cheltenham train so I got off at Swindon but neither powercar matched anything on my needs list so all was fine on that front. Because this service was departing from platform 1 I had to head over to platform 4 for the next service heading Westbound, which was one towards Cardiff. It was a set that seems to be following me around on this trip that would take me West, 43139 and 43162. That's the 5th time I've had it on the trip so far.
43148 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
The wifi was working on board and it was an uneventful journey through to Cardiff and I knew what my plan was for the next part of the day thanks to RTT.

I had about 15 minutes to kill at Cardiff so headed over to the 1st class lounge for a few minutes. Then it was out onto platform 1 to see my next tram set arriving. I hadn't seen the set so far on my trip, which was good news. Neither powercar was on my needs list but I got on 43132 and 43023 anyway. 43132 has now been withdrawn from service with GWR and has, I believe, already made it to Scotland at the time of typing. Powercars being withdrawn from Great Western Railway: it's a scary thought (for me, at least). The good news about 132 going first is that it's nameplates have been removed for the run north. It carried one of the most dire nameplates carried by anything ever: 'We Save the Children - Will You?' At least that nameplate is now off the loco...

I initially thought that the set was in reverse formation because I was getting the number of the rear powercar when I saw a 1st class coach. Then I saw the coach letter: C. A journey away in comfortable, excellent seats then instead of the rock hard, kill yourself seats! Score! I took a seat and we were soon on the move. I spoke to dad just before the Severn tunnel but obviously had to hang up at that point and call him back at Bristol Parkway. He said that they'd finished early so I could stay out a bit later if I wanted. I had a different idea involving a difficult shack score and he was fine with it. Let's go for that then!

Double winner (even if the boards at Parkway seemed to think that it was only 1 coach) 153325 and 158882 was on the 16:44 to Warminster this eve' and I once again took the comfy seats in the 158. I didn't turn down the option of a linear hop for an ex Severn Beach line train forward and got off at Lawrence Hill where it was only a short wait for the few minutes late service from Severn Beach. I was surprised to see a 150 approaching as I thought it was now solely 166 but I assume that the 166 must have failed. I got ticket checked by a bunch of RPIs almost immediately after boarding too.

At Bristol Temple Meads I had plenty of time to change platform for the 17:18 Chippenham, the train that I'd got back on the first day. I wouldn't be going to Chippenham this evening though - only to Bath. 43135 and 43186 had the honor of taking me there and I would have only a 10-minute wait for my next service - in theory. It eventually arrived about 5 minutes late and I wasn't pleased to see was dud 150002 instead of the booked 158. It was rammed full too and if it weren't for several people getting off at Bath no one would've got on. A few people were left on the platform but only on the coaches closer to the footbridge - typical normals. I stood in a cramped vestibule for the journey listening to a normal whine to her friend about the overcrowding, clearly not understanding the whining to her friend wouldn't solve the problem and would only annoy everyone around her. Still, I managed to get a seat at Trowbridge and was alighting at Westbury after a less than pleasant journey.

Due to our delay I was worried that the connection would miss, much like I had been the day before. It didn't and 158960 took me one stop out to Trowbridge where I had to wait for about 20 minutes for my next move. The time was spent randomly wandering around the station, listening to local chavs in the skate park just next to the station. My fester finally came to an end and two of the chavs boarded dud for the day 150246 like I had, also sitting at the very front. The guard managed to get through the train before Melksham and, surprise surprise, neither had tickets. The first one wanted to pay by card and it was declined so he just told the guard something along the lines of 'bad luck, eh' with a grin. The guard made sure that his friend paid both fares though and gave them a warning about what would happen if they tried it again. He couldn't do anything more this time because they were only going to Melksham. Luckily (for a shack scorer who needs the shack, like myself) so was I. Melksham became my last shack score of the day and I got a couple of photos of the 150 before heading over to dad, who was waiting in the car park.
Melksham by fishquinn1, on Flickr

It didn't take long to get back to the Jolly Huntsman and, with it being our last night here, I decided to go for dad's favourite thing on the menu: The Huntsman Pancakes. Massive savory pancakes stuffed with chicken and bacon and mushroom and all sorts of amazing things like that. There were also hundreds of chips and I can see why dad loves this meal so much. My god that was the most filling meal I've had in ages! Just thinking about them now makes me really hungry. There was no way I could manage pudding after that unfortunately but still went to bed with a full stomach after an excellent day.

Status
Not open for further replies.