Fist Bump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RichmondCommu, 24 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichmondCommu

RichmondCommu Established Member

G'day everyone,

I thought I would share the following with you all and see what your reaction is. I'm on the board of directors of an advertising company based in London. Given my senior position in the company I very rarely get involved in interviewing candidates however a couple of weeks a go I was in our London office when I was introduced to a young man who had just been interviewed for a vacancy. The gentleman was in his mid twenties and university educated with a good degree. Our Head Of Talent introduced me after which I smiled, said a few words and held my hand out for a handshake. At this point it couldn't have been more obvious that I intended to shake his hand.

However, much to my absolute amazement he decided to give me a fist bump! What on earth! Not only was my colleague shocked and perplexed but so was I. One of the biggest issues that employers have is that graduates are all too often simply not equipped for working life but even I was surprised. Rather like our own children this young man had received an excellent state education and yet I could never have imagined our own little darlings doing anything so stupid.

Some of you might think I'm being a little harsh here but our organisation is run on a informal basis where possible and everything we do is done to encourage creative talent, without which we wouldn't make any money. Needless to say the young man wasn't successful simply because of his appalling lack of judgement.

Your thoughts on this would be very welcome!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Last edited: 25 Apr 2015
  2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

What is a 'fist pump'?

But whatever it is, it seems to me that a handshake was in order.

EDIT: And I just googled 'Fist Pump'. More of a sporting celebration ... how inappropriate.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_pump

Another EDIT: I see that the title of the thread has been changed to "Fist Bump" ... still inappropriate.

3. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

I think fist pumping someone once they've held out their hand is quite a daft thing to do, especially if they are going to be one of people who pays your wages. It might be acceptable to do this if you have worked there for several years and have gotten to know your boss to a good level, but if you've barely met them, even in an informal environment, a formal handshake is the safest bet.

4. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

What a plonker! Can't think of many places where a fist pump would be advisable in business - I may get coerced into doing such with colleagues on occasion (usually begrudgingly to keep them quiet) but would never be appropriate with management IMHO

Edit: Sounds like the candidate is of a similar age to me, to put it into perspective. Not that I actively remember how long since I graduated...makes me feel old :(

5. cjp

cjp Member

Look for someone else to employ, someone able to interact at better level

6. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

Do you by chance mean a fist bump? It'd be less ludicrous, though still a gross misjudgement.

7. RichmondCommu

You know something, you're right and thinking about it yes it was a bump! I'm waiting up for my wife to get back from her shift and I'm bushed! Unfortunately I'm unable to change the title of the thread. Stupid man!

8. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

You can change the title by clicking Edit on your opening post, then Go Advanced, and then editing the text in the box at the top.

Back on topic, it sounds like the lad might not have interviewed much. I wonder if he'd read some advice somewhere to "appear confident" and done so in very much the wrong way.

9. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

'Safe' ;)

You can also edit the title by editing the first post :)

10. RichmondCommu

Many thanks to both of you for the tip!

I've caught my youngest son saying 'Safe' and now he say's it to wind his mum and I up!

What really surprised me was the candidate came from a very well respected recruitment agency who carefully coach people on their books before they go for interviews.

The fist bump was included in our feedback to the agency in the hope that he doesn't make the same mistake again. However, as I said at the start it was his lack of judgement that really shocked me.

11. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Member

There is a difference between a fist pump and a fist bump, but both are equally inappropriate during a job interview!

12. DaleCooper

DaleCooper Established Member

Although my reaction would have been the same as yours I just wonder what you would have done if he'd been the outstanding candidate in every other way.

A fist pump sounds like a bit too much like masturbation to me.

13. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Member

Now that would certainly rule you out of the running for the post, easily distracted! :lol:

14. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    You appear to be in the same level of Senior Management as I was, prior to my retirement. I must confess that I always sat on the interview panel for candidates wishing to obtain senior roles within our consultancy, both in Britain and in our consultancy offices in Toronto which I headed from 1995 to 2004. I can never recall anything remotely like what you have described as ever occurring to me and the worst that I can recall was being the recipient of an over-vigorous and over-long handshake from a candidate in his early 30's who was called back into the interview room at the end of the interview period to be told that he was the successful applicant for the position so advertised.

15. RichmondCommu

Well that's the thing, by all accounts the candidate interviewed very well and would have stood a very good chance of being successful if it hadn't been for his error of judgement.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Paul, thanks for your post. Its worth mentioning that I was the only one out of the four of us who was offered a fist bump and yet I was by far and away the most senior person that he had met!

16. me123

me123 Established Member

You aren't the only one who doesn't like fist bumping...
    [youtube]xBRuKpNpDwA[/youtube]

I, of course, whole heartedly agree that it's completely inappropriate in an interview situation! I've been through some interview processes recently, and at no point did it ever occur to me to do anything other than shake the hand of the people on the panels (aside from one woman who clearly did not want to do so, but even then it wasn't a standard face to face interview situation, as I was making a presentation to her). Fist bumping didn't even cross my mind.

Like a lot of things, it's got its place in society. It's an informal gesture to be used between friends or teammates. Completely inappropriate when meeting a potential employer for the first time.

17. Oswyntail

Oswyntail Established Member

That sort of thing has been going on a long while!
    http://www.teebiss.com/blog/hippocleides/

18. TheKnightWho

TheKnightWho Established Member

Not employing a candidate because you don't like their mannerisms seems utterly ridiculous in my eyes...

Yes, it's not appropriate, but if they're excellent in every other way why should it make a shred of difference? If they'll be doing anything involving PR or whatever then it's easy to tell them it's not appropriate. If they aren't doing anything customer-facing then I can't see how it's a factor.

19. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

To play devil's advocate for a moment, was a fist bump really any more inappropriate than the type of handshake that seems popular among business types, which involves squeezing the other person's hand REALLY EFFING HARD while grinning and winking at them without breaking eye-contact?

20. scott118

scott118 Member

Standard.

21. DownSouth

DownSouth Established Member

Indeed - job interviews are only really useful for picking the person with the best technique for passing job interviews.

Given that apparently this was for a creative role, it would appear that such inflexible old-world approaches to recruiting may cost them dearly if this excellent candidate goes to a competing company where managers who understand creatives can get the best out of him.

22. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

If this was for a starter job of some kind (either from school or grad) one would likely expect the candidate not to know all the ins and outs of business etiquette. So if they were otherwise the best candidate, I'd still employ them, but make it my business that they were properly trained in how to act in a work scenario.

23. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

I'd have thought that if you were going for your first job, even if you don't know the ins and outs of business etiquette, you would be safer to play it safe and go as formal as possible than risking being informal and your potential employer not liking it, as has happened here.

24. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Yes, I agree. But if I were employing I would be tolerant of it with an outstanding prospective employee if early in their career.

25. TheKnightWho

TheKnightWho Established Member

It's also important to remember that not everyone has had the privilege of learning proper etiquette for this sort of thing.

26. CC 72100

CC 72100 Established Member

Fair comment but...

27. Abpj17

Abpj17 Member

Interview nerves?

I've known of someone interview for a senior role in the legal profession who put his feet up on the desk for the duration of the interview...

28. RichmondCommu

Well you do when you're on the books of a high quality recruitment agency as was the case with this gentleman! All of the candidates that they put forward have quite an initial grilling before their CV's are forwarded on to us. Not only that but they all receive three bits of key advice in terms of first impressions; wear the sharpest suite that you own, greet the interviewer with a firm handshake and maintain eye contact at all times. No mention is ever made of fist bumps.
    Ah look, we've all been nervous when attending interviews, me included. However, the gentleman performed really well during the interview and it was only when he was introduced to me in reception (as he was leaving) that he decided to give me a random fist bump after I'd reached out to shake his hand!
    In all honesty Neil business etiquette is almost irrelevant here. What concerned us the most was the clear lack of rational decision making. When offered a hand shake surely to goodness you would not respond with an attempted fist bump?? By the same token, if you were offered a fist bump you would not respond with a hand shake.

For what its worth the young man was not long out of Uni but was and I presume still is in employment. As I also previously mentioned the agency that he is registered would have covered all bases to ensure that he stood the best chance of getting the job.
    I work for a company full of some of best creative types in the UK however the role that the gentleman was being interviewed for was an Account Manager. Not to work with our Blue Chip clients but never the less an important role within the organisation. The decision was taken that he could not be trusted to go and meet clients and run the risk of him performing random acts such as a fist bump.

29. GatwickDepress

GatwickDepress Established Member

What I was taught in secondary school in Citizenship (that subject nobody seems to know what to do with) was to always be as formal and as polite as possible during an interview; whether it be for McDonalds or Goldman Sachs. Always better to be overdressed than underdressed... all the best interview adages one can fit on a piece of A4 paper.

Three piece, I hope? :D

30. RichmondCommu

Given that you are a student, have you applied to go to University? When you go for your interview (which you would need to pass in order to be accepted) would you seriously consider giving them a fist bump? Or when offered a hand shake would you choose to shake their hand?

As I've stated we could not run the risk of appointing him because of the danger of him performing random acts when meeting clients. Its worth pointing out here that he shook the hand of the receptionist and the two people who interviewed him. It was only as he was leaving our headquarters that he decided to give me a fist bump. Now if it had been fist bumps all round we could have put that down to youth culture and something we could perhaps talk through. However sadly random acts of madness are too much of a risk.
    No :) Living in London as a young man and paying London rent we wouldn't expect him to turn up wearing a three piece! :) He was very well turned out though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.