• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fitbits/Smart watches etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has anyone else got one?

I got both of us one each for Christmas and it’s probably fair to say that it’s become a little bit competitive between Mrs C and I...
I always knew that I was fairly active because of what I do for a living, but it’s been quite interesting seeing it all laid out in an actual app.

Is anyone else on here using one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I havent got a Smart watch yet but I was looking at one the other day. My preference is to get one with a built in sim.

Literally, about 3 minutes ago, the one I just bought for my Mum arrived !

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't have one yet but I'm looking to get one. But for the smart watch functions rather than fitness tracking. I don't need an app to tell me how lazy I am!

nlogax

Established Member
Has anyone got any recommendations for a smart watch on the Android platform?
Cheers,
Sam

For years I've used a variety of Fitbits which were ok for what I wanted..sleep and exercise tracking with a decent battery life. Wanted a proper smartwatch with the same attributes, ideally an Android -something or other- but even with newer 3100 chipsets they never achieved the sort of battery efficiency I was looking for.

Hence I've been using the Samsung Galaxy Active 2 (44mm version, non-4G) since last autumn and it's a properly great device. No complaints at all, lasts 3 to 4 days in standard mode and with low power mode enabled while travelling I can make it last 7 or 8 days without a charge. Sleep tracking is automatic and Samsung Pay works well nearly everywhere I need it. Unless you absolutely must have Android apps on your wrist there seems little point in going down that route.

Domh245

Established Member
I've had a couple of different fitbits over the last couple of years. Started off with one of their pocket-type trackers but have had their basic (+ heart rate monitoring) watch/tracker for about a year. It's not really changed how I do anything much, although it can be useful for bragging!

gtis

Hi
I have a Garmin vivomove hr
I use it for heart rate,steps and floors climbed
I get notifications of emails texts
Neil

Last edited:

KevinTurvey

I would urge anyone who is considering buying a sports/tracker watch to take a good look at the strap replacement options (and the cost of these) and also the charging method and robustness of the pins/connectors, not just the functionality or features of the watch.

I had a bad experience, I bought 3 years ago a market leading product which cost over £200, but gave up in frustration with 3 straps breaking (this being a bespoke moulding) and the charging contacts corroded so I could not charge it either!

If possible consider buying one that you can replace with a standard watch strap, not a bespoke one that costs £50 and lasts 6 months.

Crossover

Established Member
I have a Fitbit which I have had for around 18 months. It has now come to a point where I forget I am wearing it most of the time but I do find it useful. Not had an issue with the strap it came with as long as I keep it clean. I usually charge it once a week, which being mostly desk based it lasts fine with.

I did initially use it for inputting nutrition (it was part of the reason for getting it, to hold myself accountable to myself, if that makes sense) and it did help me lose a a bit of weight. I really should start holding myself to account again as sadly I have regained most of what I previously lost :(

EDIT: I have notifications turned on too (unless I accidently manage to disable it!) so it vibrates when I get a phone call - since my phone is often on silent I have found this to be quite useful as well

gg1

Established Member
I havent got a Smart watch yet but I was looking at one the other day. My preference is to get one with a built in sim.

What's the benefit of getting one with a SIM rather then just a Bluetooth connection to your mobile?

eMeS

Can't be bothered with the darn things...

Not having a Smart Phone, I bought a simple pedometer. Would it work on me? No.
Does the unit appear to work when tested in my hand? Yes.

Took it to my hospital rehabilitation class, and it worked fine on another guy. I tried again, still no good on me. Moved it to be on my belt, at my side. This time, I think it counted a proportion of the "steps" even though we both thought I was being as energetic as the other guy. So essentially, it's not responding to my gait or whatever. Pleased it was one of the low cost variants.

ComUtoR

Established Member
What's the benefit of getting one with a SIM rather then just a Bluetooth connection to your mobile?

It can be used to access data services independently of your phone.

Pretty much what naja states. Smart watches are a bit of a fad purchase and often provide very little. They are basically a digital watch with notifications from your phone and for full functionality they need to be connected to your phone. With an inbuilt sim they can act as a more independent device. You can use them as a phone on your wrist as they tend to come with speakers and mics. For me, I want a smartwatch to actually be smart. I want video calling, decent messaging, GPS and mapping capability etc etc. The problem is that to do all that you need bigger screens, bigger processors, and more importantly a bigger battery.

Fitness and activity trackers are interesting as they serve a purpose. For sports and the gym they are good at what they do. I can see the appeal of them but due to them becoming a trendy item to have they kinda evolved into something else. 'Smart' watches were born out of that trend and its brought watches back in fashion but they are still nothing more than activity trackers with a watch face.

What I want is something like a Nubia Alpha. It's still very early days for that tech and I think Nubia just missed the mark but are certainly on the right path to a true 'smart watch' The Tag Heuer Connected dropped in my inbox the other day and for the first time I really wanted a smart watch. Purely for the cool factor. Its overpriced and lacking in quite a few features and its also a bit behind on tech. I just bought my Mum a Garmin Approach S62 and for some crazy reason she wants a fitbit/smartwatch. Being more a tech guy I went all out and bought her something with added cool factor.

Even with the approach, you can easily download an app form your phone and do exactly the same for a fraction of the price. Quite a few people at work are wearing smart watches with Samsungs and Apple Watches being the most popular.

nidave

Has anyone else got one?

I got both of us one each for Christmas and it’s probably fair to say that it’s become a little bit competitive between Mrs C and I...
I always knew that I was fairly active because of what I do for a living, but it’s been quite interesting seeing it all laid out in an actual app.

Is anyone else on here using one?
Check out Amazfit - they are pretty cheap and you can have always on faces - some do sleep monitoring - Am planning on getting a GTR Version. People who used to have a pebble seem to have gone for them in a big way
https://en.amazfit.com/

ARIC

Has anyone got any recommendations for a smart watch on the Android platform?
Cheers,
Sam

I can 100% recommend the TicWatch C2 - a great size (not a monster like some others), Google Pay, a nice shortcut button to add your own favourite app, and a really decent price :smile:

EDIT - I will second the point made in the post below this, if battery life is important to you, you'll struggle to find ANY Wear OS/Android smartwatch that you'll be happy with. My TicWatch C2 survives a day of reasonably heavy usage and always on screen - but survives is the key word.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Check out Amazfit - they are pretty cheap and you can have always on faces - some do sleep monitoring - Am planning on getting a GTR Version. People who used to have a pebble seem to have gone for them in a big way
https://en.amazfit.com/

I can recommend Amazfit products too, also as an ex-Pebble user. However, my daily watch is now a Huawei Watch GT2 (Honor does a cheaper variant, the MagicWatch 2) and it is about the fitness/sleep tracking and notifications for me (although I can also make and receive calls, albeit via BT and not with its own SIM). There's nothing fancy like apps or Google Pay (which I have on older Wear OS watches).

Battery life is paramount, so Android Wear watches are a no. I don't care how fancy the watch is, the OS sucks (still) and Qualcomm's Snapdragon SoC is so ridiculously out of date that clearly Qualcomm knows the market is too small to warrant the investment they put in on the other chipsets/5G modems etc.

I get around 10 days on my Huawei watch, while I got around the same on my old Pebble. My Amazfit Bip with always on display could do around 15-20 days.

Anything over 7 days makes it convenient for short breaks and not having to remember to charge every day or two. And watches that need charging overnight kill off the sleep tracking which is perhaps the thing I value my watch for more than anything else.

Neptune

Established Member
Had an Apple Watch for a couple of years now. It makes me want to do that bit more exercise even when I can’t be bothered so I hit my daily targets. Ive never been as fit in nearly 50 years.

AndrewE

Established Member
I suppose your enthusiasm for these depends on whether you want your location and activity levels reported continuously to some American company...

nidave

I suppose your enthusiasm for these depends on whether you want your location and activity levels reported continuously to some American company...
If you use pretty much anything from your phone to a website to tickets being scanned for events to watching netflix and even sky sending data back to Sky HQ (Virgin and any connected tv do the same) ... etc (apart from your credit / debit card) you are being tracked.
(credit / debit card tracking is banned under EU law - Cough brexit)
Thats why clubcard/nectar are such big things - the data they collect is amazing (if you like that sort of thing) and as you opt into it is allowed.

gg1

Established Member
Pretty much what naja states. Smart watches are a bit of a fad purchase and often provide very little. They are basically a digital watch with notifications from your phone and for full functionality they need to be connected to your phone. With an inbuilt sim they can act as a more independent device. You can use them as a phone on your wrist as they tend to come with speakers and mics. For me, I want a smartwatch to actually be smart. I want video calling, decent messaging, GPS and mapping capability etc etc. The problem is that to do all that you need bigger screens, bigger processors, and more importantly a bigger battery.

Fitness and activity trackers are interesting as they serve a purpose. For sports and the gym they are good at what they do. I can see the appeal of them but due to them becoming a trendy item to have they kinda evolved into something else. 'Smart' watches were born out of that trend and its brought watches back in fashion but they are still nothing more than activity trackers with a watch face.

That's what prompted my question really. Smartwatches are too limited to (and aren't really intended to) replace smart phones, and if you're wearing a smartwatch and carrying a phone it seems pointless to have a SIM in each device, it's not as if the watch would be a data hog.

ComUtoR

Established Member
That's what prompted my question really. Smartwatches are too limited to (and aren't really intended to) replace smart phones,

Which is the elephant in the room. They are limited and do what your phone does. So whats the point of them ? Its a trendy fashion item, probably gonna die a horrible death in a few years. Watches were going the way of the Dodo because people pull the time from their phone. Its great marketing for sure.

and if you're wearing a smartwatch and carrying a phone it seems pointless to have a SIM in each device,

If your out for a run, playing a sport, down the gym etc, then your phone is probable tucked in a locker somewhere. Activity bands are great because they provide on the go data and with some smartwatches you can take them for a swim too. I'm a tech geek so I want as much tech stuff as possible crammed on my wrist. I'm the kinda idiot who wants to make a video call underwater.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I suspect i'm younger than most of the other posters here so perhaps it's a generational thing (or maybe not) but i couldn't even recall the last time i wore a watch. I just don't see the point when i pretty much always have my phone with me, granted a watch is more convenient however i just see no benefit to having two items that do the same job, especially when one of them is a big annoying lump on the end of your wrist and only serves one purpose.

Smart watches (much like the 'google glass') are just too gimmicky for me, they seem like the sort of thing you'd buy someone as a present and they rarely use or only use it for one function. It's impressive what some Smart watches can do, but i can't see them becoming the main "thing" anytime soon, they'll probably fade away or remain more of a novelty item. If anything watches these days are more just a fashion accessory.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Some smartwatches are considered fashion pieces, even though the nature of the hardware will ensure they aren't going to get handed down though the generations like a good timepiece.

Apple went down that road and has at least realised nobody was going to pay $15,000 for a first-gen watch out of date in 12 months, but I am surprised some of the other brands are trying to sell a Snapdragon 3100 watch running a pretty basic OS, with terrible battery life from the off, for £1000 or more.

I get fashion and all that, and it's a free market, but I just don't see the point and don't expect they'll be selling many at all.

SteveP29

I'm on my second one.
Had a Gear Fit for 4 years, great at telling me how many steps etc, but then support from Samsung stopped (as it does when companies like them and Microsoft turn them into 'legacy' products) and so apps didn't work on it.
Upgraded to a Galaxy Active last year, love it, as @nlogax says above, payments via Samsung Pay work seamlessly, my workouts are tracked accurately by the Endomondo app

JohnMcL7

I strongly disagree with the comments about smartwatches being pointless and wouldn't be without mine. Primarily I find it most useful for notifications which I can easily check with a glance at my watch rather than take the phone out my pocket, out its case and open the notification, this means I can check if it's a notification or call I need to deal with or one I can leave until later. There's also the added bonus that I can have the phone completely silent which I couldn't do without the watch since it was hit and miss if I detected the vibration. I like having the music controls with the watch showing the current track and artist along with volume, play and skip controls all easily accessible on my wrist without having to take the phone out of my pocket.

On the health front I've found the optical HR monitor very useful as it can be difficult to measure fitness by how you feel and there can be a significant variances in effort with activities in the winter being much easier than those in the summer due to the difference in temperature. I don't have a great appetite so it's extremely useful to be able to see which activities were higher effort than expected and make sure I consume enough extra calories for it.

The watch really came into its own last year when I wasn't feeling great and it highlighted a problem with my heartrate which I could compare against two year's worth of data which showed it was higher than usual. My condition quickly deteriorated and a trip to hospital confirmed the watch was correct as I had an overactive thyroid which I started taking medication for. A few weeks after the watch showed the opposite problem with a heart rate that was too low, another blood test confirmed this and I had to swap medication to now boost my thyroid levels then after a month of that the watch was showing I was going back over my normal HR. I stopped taking the medication after I'd had the blood test and shortly after the blood test confirmed I was almost back to normal.

The watch I use is a Garmin Fenix 5s which is primarily intended as a multisports watch and its smart features are more basic compared to Apple and Android watches but I find it offers the features I need on the watch and prefer to use the larger screen on the phone for anything more. The big advantages are that the batterylife is vastly longer at 7-10 days which means I don't need to charge the watch each night which is important to being able to calculate the resting HR and the display is on all the time whilst also being readable in bright sunlight. I tend to use the GPS features for more casual activities and dedicated cycle computers for the bikes but handily the watch can broadcast the HR to the cycle computers which while not as accurate I find preferable to a chest band.

Status
Not open for further replies.