• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flange lubricators

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRobinson

Hello all,

I'm currently looking for information regarding the height above the railhead that the plunger for a flange lubricator can protrude, but can't find anything on the RSSB's online archive.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRobinson

I don't think it sits above the railhead at all but is at the side and operated by the wheel flange itself.

O L Leigh

Apologies, I didn't make myself clear. That's correct, I'm just looking for information as to the height of the plunger, relative to the railhead.

Could someone tell me how these actually work?

For none other than my own personal interest!

Thanks.

The flanges operate grease pumps that pump grease out of a reservoir onto the flanges of rail vehicles passing over them. It's as simple as that!

The Planner

Veteran Member
This thread has lasted nearly an hour without a single attempt at crude inuendo about lubricating flanges...oh...

The Informer

You wont find anything on the RSSB website pal. Send an E-Mail to Portec Rail asking for installation diagrams. I have them somewhere but cannot find them. If you get stuck PM me and i'll try my best and dig them out.

Trog

Established Member
From memory the plunger on the older mechanical lubricators stands up above the rail head by about a 1/4" or perhaps just a tad more. It would be placed just off the field side of the rail head, where the outer edge of the wheel will run over it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Flange Lubricator is not something I'd type into Google without a "+rail"

Mind you someone at work tried typing SCAT into Google looking for Somerset College of Art and Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.