• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flashing lights on 185 units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawallace

When I was at Doncaster yesterday, I noticed a 185 unit that:-

I. the lights above most doors were light up - I assume to say they were opened?

ii. But there was also a door where the lights on the outside were flashing. I do nto recall seeing this before? What doe this mean?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
When I was at Doncaster yesterday, I noticed a 185 unit that:-

I. the lights above most doors were light up - I assume to say they were opened?

ii. But there was also a door where the lights on the outside were flashing. I do nto recall seeing this before? What doe this mean?

The flashing light indicates which coach the guard is in.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It is as Matt describes and can be seen, I think, on all of the Desiro family of trains.

fgwrich

Established Member
It is as Matt describes and can be seen, I think, on all of the Desiro family of trains.

Correct - It symbolises where the local door is and that the guard is using it in use...and it is, as you say on all the Desiro Fleets.

-The Orange light your after's also called the Central Door Locking light.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
We have always called them Hazard lights because they don't just indicate door release, although to the passenger that is what they indicate.

They will also light up for Pass-comms, TCA failure, Fire system activation and Brake MCB trip on the trains I work.

CarterUSM

Established Member
We have always called them Hazard lights because they don't just indicate door release, although to the passenger that is what they indicate.

They will also light up for Pass-comms, TCA failure, Fire system activation and Brake MCB trip on the trains I work.

I've heard that term used also, we use Door Obstruction Light "DOL" on all our units bar the 380's, but i think Hazard lights are a better term for them. Does the light not also stay lit for the local door switch being erroneously left down on your units too? Our 156's have that extra indication, though i'm sure they all do.

driver9000

Established Member
I've heard that term used also, we use Door Obstruction Light "DOL" on all our units bar the 380's, but i think Hazard lights are a better term for them. Does the light not also stay lit for the local door switch being erroneously left down on your units too? Our 156's have that extra indication, though i'm sure they all do.

The official term is Hazard light (TW2). The illumination for Pass-comm, TCA failure etc is mentioned in TW2 too. I prefer Hazard light because they are meant to draw your attention to something amiss on that vehicle rather than simply the doors being released.

Yes the light stays on with the local door switch left down on our 156s. If there is no master key in then the lights won't be on at all regardless of door release (they will be on for TCA fault etc). On some 150s they will only light up for door release if the direction switch is in forward or reverse and will go out when neutral is selected. The local door switch can't be left down by accident on our units since they had a block fitted to the switch cover that prevents it being closed if the switch is left open.

CarterUSM

Established Member
The official term is Hazard light (TW2). The illumination for Pass-comm, TCA failure etc is mentioned in TW2 too. I prefer Hazard light because they are meant to draw your attention to something amiss on that vehicle rather than simply the doors being released.

Yes the light stays on with the local door switch left down on our 156s. If there is no master key in then the lights won't be on at all regardless of door release (they will be on for TCA fault etc). On some 150s they will only light up for door release if the direction switch is in forward or reverse and will go out when neutral is selected. The local door switch can't be left down by accident on our units since they had a block fitted to the switch cover that prevents it being closed if the switch is left open.

Yes, I had a wee look at my TW2 this morning as a matter of fact. I don't know why Scotrail 156's don't have the block fitted on the panel covers, it'd save on a few schoolboy errors!

Galvanize

At Southern, the hazard lights are known as BIL's, or Bodyside Indicator Light. Like all other trains, the lights remain steady when the doors are open (including the cab doors, unless its a 455 when the driver's got their key on!). When the Pass-com has been activated, they flash, making it sound more like a Hazard light.

I think on LM Class 350/2s, the BILs flash when the doors are closing, as well as flashing to show where the conductor has their key on!

Status
Not open for further replies.