• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flashing tail lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I was at Westbury one day in the evening, and there was an ECS 150 on platform 3, engine off and that, and when i looked at the back from the end of the platform, its had its tail lights flashing.
Any reason for having tail lights doing that (flashing like indicators) or were the lights just...broke :?

Cheers,
James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

It Saves on Battery Power, If you had a Unit With the Tail lights left on, it would draw power from the battery, so they put a Tail lamp on. Its Either that or there is some rule about parking trains up. Ive seen 66s With a Tail Lamp flashing in the window, and the Main Reds off.

Its all Very Wierd

Coxster

Established Member
AlexS said:
Flashing tail lights always used to mean an emergency brake application had been made, I dont know whether the case is the same nowadays.
I'm not sure about the tail lights but if a Class 66 receives an emergency brake application, the headlights will flash alternately.

jdjonnay

Flashing tail lamps are standard use now - it's very rare to see one that doesn't flash. Unless it doesn't light up at all - in which case it's probably one of EWS's lamps.

Jon

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
yes just what I mean Alex, there was no tail lamp, so to save battery they can just 'flash' the tail lights of a 150 or whatever instead?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
thats what I would have said! I come from an electrical background and so indeed it would take more power, seems silly

Status
Not open for further replies.