• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fleetwood Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the possibility of reinstating a commuter rail service from Fleetwood via Poulton to Preston drifted even further away?

David Sharman in Blackpool Gazette said:
Support for reopening of closed train track

ALMOST half of passengers at Poulton station would use a rail service to Fleetwood, according to new figures.

Poulton and Wyre Railways Society says 49 per cent of commuters questioned during a survey it conducted would travel on a reopened line between the two towns.

The society has been campaigning to reopen the line, with proposed stations including Thornton and Freeport, and now intends to present a report of its findings to Network Rail......
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/c...for-reopening-of-closed-train-track-1-5470801

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR1Berske

Established Member
Almost no chance of returning it, really, no matter how romantic it may seem. In fact, am I right in thinking some of the trackbed has been built upon or bought by someone to ensure it will be?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The last time that I passed the level crossing in Cleveleys, the platforms and trackwork there had all been cleared by a volunteer force. There had been postings on this forum over the last couple of years from people involved with all this clearance work on the line from there to the Fleetwood direction.

dysonsphere

The last I read the trackbed was protected and someone will correct me if Im wrong but I thought the junction was renewed a few years ago.

I support the re-opening of this line, many people are put of by Blackpool's new trams and that fact their to small for the demand, also with Fleetwood Town FC now been in the football league its a bit of a slog for away fans to get to Fleetwood by train.

More news from the Blackpool Gas Jet.
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/c...olunteers-to-put-area-back-on-track-1-5590730

Published on 18/04/2013 11:33
Plans to get Fleetwood back on the rail network will take a significant step forward this week, thanks to a group of volunteers.
A detailed business plan outlining how the long lost link can be restored is set to go before the three organisations able to determine if the scheme can move forward.
If the green light is given, the funding bids can officially begin – and the projected cost of the scheme is lower than many might expect – under £1m.
Poulton and Wyre Railway Society has been working on the rail link restoration project since 2006 and is at last in a position to put its plans forward to the three key stakeholders – Wyre Council, Lancashire County Council and Network Rail.
Businesses in Fleetwood and Wyre, councillors and the town’s MP Eric Ollerenshaw all want to see trains return to Fleetwood for the first time in decades.
The scheme has won widespread support from business and community leaders.
And the Railway Society’s exciting plans go much further than just restoring a commuter passenger link between Fleetwood, Poulton and employment hubs in Manchester, East Lancashire and elsewhere.
The railway could bring lower costs for business transport, provision of more services and greater choice of goods in the town – ability to reach new markets and huge prospects for economic growth.
A separate part of the plan involves an exciting heritage scheme which could help regenerate the town of Fleetwood itself, with steam trains bringing huge numbers of visitors into the port at weekends.
Garry Payne, chief executive of Wyre Council, has 
welcomed the plans.
He said: “We are really pleased things seem to be 
moving along. Wyre Council is fully supportive of opening the line, which is why we have paid for a study into it.
“A train service from Poulton to Fleetwood would not only offer customers an alternative sustainable means of the travel to the car, it would also open up further investment opportunities and the subsequent creation of job.”
Fleetwood town councillor Jack Harrison, has campaigned to bring the railway link back in the past and said: “The return of the rail link would be a great boost for Fleetwood. It’s got great potential.”
And businesswoman Caroline Boot, of high street store Forget-Me-Not, said: “Anything that would bring visitors to Fleetwood would be welcome.
“I have seen the work the Society has done to tidy up the tracks in Thornton, so this is a positive move.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
The line Llangollen to Corwen is an example of how it could be done,Llangollen Railway is now the largest employer in the town, however without the funding it was dead, it was a pity the line from Llangollen to Ruabon had been closed for ever due to infrastructure now on site. link http://www.llangollen-railway.co.uk/page.php?id=1
Due to the railway Society Llangollen is an all year round resort, no sea but Dee.

Bob

Darren R

Established Member
According to the article in the Gazette: "If the green light is given, the funding bids can officially begin – and the projected cost of the scheme is lower than many might expect – under £1m." Really?? That doesn't seem to be even remotely likely given how much work is involved. There is no signalling at all beyond the junction at Poulton, and so far as I can tell from Google Maps there are three level crossings on the stretch of track that still remains. That might not have been a problem with the occassional freight working to Burn Naze, but there is no way that can be allowed if regular services are restored.

Added to that the remaining track only goes as far as the A585 Amounderness Way (assuming there has been no track recovery more recently), and this has been built across the route in such a way that either the road would have to be rebuilt on a new bridge over the line, or a new level crossing built. But either way the line has been built on in several places between there and the site of Wyre Dock station, which became the railhead when the original terminus closer to Fleetwood Ferry was closed and the line cut back. It would be impossible (or so criplingly expensive as to render the project impossible) to re-instate track between Amounderness Way and Fleetwood, a distance of about a mile and a half from Wyre Dock station. Not a huge distance perhaps - but sufficiently far from the town centre as to make it extremely unattractive to prospective passengers.

Much though I would love to see the line to Fleetwood re-opened - and Heaven knows Fleetwood could do with an economic boost - but I'm afraid as far as heavy rail is concerned it just ain't gonna happen. The best they can hope for is for the remaining track to be converted to some sort of light rail operation and extended into Fleetwood using street running if possible. And quite frankly I don't see the benefits of even this outweighing the costs.

Codville

I'm pretty sure the top half Amounderness Way was the trackbed, it was all lifted a long time ago during the construction of the road, the only conceivable place a station could exist would be on Herring Arm Road slap next to the roundabout or crossing in front of the ice house and running right up to Freeport.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That sounds similar to what might be expected if ever there was a plan to extend from Blackpool South to somewhere near the former Blackpool Central station.

I cannot give you a link unfortunately but many months ago, I saw a YouTube offering that showed a working party on a "motorised" works unit making a journey from the cleared Thornton Cleveleys station area to a point where they had progressed with their work on this line. One of our forum members was connected with that working party.

Last edited:

Sidious

I cannot give you a link unfortunately but many months ago, I saw a YouTube offering that showed a working party on a motorised works unit making a journey from the cleared Thornton Cleveleys station area to a point where they had progressed with their work on this line. One of our forum members was connected with that working party.
Might THIS be the one?

Looks good fun!

Chris125

Established Member
Much though I would love to see the line to Fleetwood re-opened - and Heaven knows Fleetwood could do with an economic boost - but I'm afraid as far as heavy rail is concerned it just ain't gonna happen. The best they can hope for is for the remaining track to be converted to some sort of light rail operation and extended into Fleetwood using street running if possible. And quite frankly I don't see the benefits of even this outweighing the costs.

While i can't see commuter services happening, a heritage-type operation would seem perfectly feasible using the currently mothballed track. Anything beyond 'one engine in steam' working and extending towards Fleetwood would obviously require more sizeable investment however.

Chris

mister-sparky

It would be great to have the rail extended to Fleetwood town centre properly, but that just isn't going to happen. The only realistic alternative would be a new tram line from North Shore to Thornton and to Fleetwood that way.

It would be great to have the rail extended to Fleetwood town centre properly, but that just isn't going to happen. The only realistic alternative would be a new tram line from North Shore to Thornton and to Fleetwood that way.

Siting of the station would be very important.
Conversion to LRT tram is certainly worth investigating.
Heritage railway? Can't see that they will extend to Fleetwood in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.