• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flickr Changes - Not for the better

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
Well it seems Flickr is now down since I and some others cannot acess it all we are getting is server unavailable despite other sites working

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
I started using Flickr for a little bit when Fotopic went, then I decided to change to Smugmug instead because I didn't like the layout that Flickr had.

Smugmug looks, with a bit of tweaks in the control panel, a bit like Fotopic.

However now I do, on occasions, since a few weeks ago use my flickr as well and I prefer the new layout on it.

wbbminerals

Is this some kind of joke?! http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/

What’s the difference between a Free, Ad Free, and Doublr account?

There are three kinds of accounts to choose from at Flickr, and all of them are awesome in their own way.

Free:

1 Terabyte of photo and video storage
Upload photos of up to 200MB per photo
Upload 1080p HD videos of up to 1GB each
Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
Upload and download in full original quality

Ad Free:

$49.99 per year
All the benefits of a free account
No ads in your browsing experience

Doublr:

$499.99 per year
2 Terabytes of photo and video space
All the benefits of a free account

So $50 a year for something a few minutes installing an ad-blocker could solve, and $500 a year for something you could gain by creating a new account?! :lol:

At least I've managed to remove that annoying Yahoo toolbar with an ad-blocker. :)

Tugzrule

The only good thing I can find with this "upgrade" is the new app for Android which is conversely much quicker than it used to be, although in places it is a wee bit fiddly.

The main site itself I agree is poor, it could probably be improved so much if the pages weren't infinite

Heinz57

Just tried to go onto Flickr to take a look at these changes.

Nothing happened; so either the sites down or it is increadibly slow - which judging by the previous comments is very likley!

Can't say I'm looking forward to seeing them. From reading the comments on here it sounds like they've tried to change it from some simple picture viewing/shareing site, to another social network.

I hate these 'modern' changes sites are starting to introduce. There was the timeline they introduced on Facebook the other year - there was a big uproar about that. YouTube completley changed the home page the other month to something they thought would make it easyer to see what my subscriptions are doing - ironicaly I think its actualy made it harder to see the latest videos!

Webs.com also changed the editor last year I think it was. Old sites keep the old editor, but any new ones use the new one - They say the new editor makes it easyer than ever to edit sites, I don't know what they was on when they wrote that! I found it increadibly difficult, so much so that I deleted a new site I was trying to create within an hour of setting it up (I rememberd to make it entirley clear that the new look was c**p when they asked me to provide a reason for leaving)

43021HST

Established Member
Question about flickr: I heard if your photos don't get views and comments after a certain amount of, they get taken off.

If this is true, then its a pain in the butt, as I use flickr purely for hosting images to use on other sites.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Question about flickr: I heard if your photos don't get views and comments after a certain amount of, they get taken off.

If this is true, then its a pain in the butt, as I use flickr purely for hosting images to use on other sites.

not true - unless they have changed that with the latest modifications

Aldaniti

Well, the YouTube refresh wasn't impressive, Facebook now insists on shoving people I don't know into my face every time I look at my page and now this garbage from Flickr. So, having pondered it for 24 hours, I've now closed all three accounts. Goodbye to the lot of 'em. And you know what, I feel a rather nice feeling of liberation! :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am going to try and make it work but am considering a move to Ipernity - it will be a shame to loose the community there is on flickr.

Aldaniti

I am going to try and make it work but am considering a move to Ipernity - it will be a shame to loose the community there is on flickr.

I can well understand your reluctance to give up on it given the time investment in loading all those pictures (far more than mine!) but with the demise of Fotopic and now this with Flickr, I've come to realise that nothing on the web lasts forever and if you're not keen on changes when they inevitably come, you end up lumbered. Its sad, Fotopic was becoming a good source of archive rail material and when it disappeared many rail photographers with an online presence (possibly a majority) seemed to opt for Flickr but I now fear that some of those photographers will lose interest and that the host fragmentation will worsen. At the end of the day, for me at least, life's to short to be constantly chasing Internet technology. I hope things work out for you DarloRich.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I can well understand your reluctance to give up on it given the time investment in loading all those pictures (far more than mine!) but with the demise of Fotopic and now this with Flickr, I've come to realise that nothing on the web lasts forever and if you're not keen on changes when they inevitably come, you end up lumbered. Its sad, Fotopic was becoming a good source of archive rail material and when it disappeared many rail photographers with an online presence (possibly a majority) seemed to opt for Flickr but I now fear that some of those photographers will lose interest and that the host fragmentation will worsen. At the end of the day, for me at least, life's to short to be constantly chasing Internet technology. I hope things work out for you DarloRich.

exactly - i may move but i would like a bulk uploader to move all the pics across otherwise i will just struggle on and see what happens in a few days/weeks.

I dont profess to be a good photographer but i enjoy taking them and sharing them,others are much better and to loose them would be a great shame.

wbbminerals

Ipernity sounds good... might be useful just as a back up for my best pics in case the unthinkable happens to Flickr. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have set up an Ipernity account and am quite pleased with the way it looks. One major advantage for me is the use of Google maps, as this means that I can now precisely place images on a map as satellite imaging is actually useable. I just wish the map was shown on the picture page. All the site really needs is a community. :(

Last edited:

melena

I like it. Just a bit slow, but if I can do more stuff than before I may use it more.

cainebj

Established Member
I think people have been a bit quick in moving to another site, not many have given the new design a chance. It's pretty common knowledge that the site had a few problems when the new design first went live but it has been confirmed by Flickr staff that their servers were being overloaded with so many people logging on to view the changes, more users were online in the first few hours than there is at any point on a normal day.

I personally like the new design, I wasn't sure at first but I've continued to use the site and have grown to like it, especially as I've used it while servers weren't overloaded so all features have been working fine. The only issue I have is the constant loading of new photos as you scroll down a page, it would be better if the page could be restrictecd to only load new pages 3 or 4 times, then have you click a link to a new page to view the next 4 sections. I actually think it is a good improvement!

Looking through some forums relating to the new design, it seems a lot of people posting just don't like change, or they've refused to even explore the new design, just taking straight to the help pages to comment on how bad they think it is. I've seen numerous posts relating to people struggling to get onto the Flickr help pages because they've been scrolling down the page to try find the help page link at the bottom where they previously were, without looking and seeing the help page link is now at the top of the page (hover over the buddy icon in the top right and click Help).

While the new homepage design might not be to everyones taste, mainly with photos being shown larger rather than a small thumbnail, I think it is generally better as photos keep to their uploaded size ratio, rather than being cropped to fit in the thumbnail square, which was something I know some professional photographers had been complaining about. The use of a black background is generally more professional too, following general practice of photographers unframed work being displayed on a black background in amateur photography galaries. Again, on a photo page I feel the use of black around the photo makes the work stand out, and you don't have clutter down the sides detracting you from the work, now that everything (such as date taken, location and groups the photo is in) is further down the page with comments and photo description.

Something that may not have been picked up on, when you view your own photostream if you click the Edit link at the top, it takes you to the old layout design so you can quickly edit titles and descriptions as before, and also shows photo views, number of favourites and number of comments. I've seen comments on forums that members would like users to be able to see there is a description, but I personally don't feel it is needed, the whole point of Flickr is to share photos, not for sharing information in the description. Transport photographers do like to write up a description of the photo, but in the main amateur photographers, who the site was created for, just use the description to say about lighting levels or any special props/equipment they've used to take the photo. Photo titles can still be seen by hovering over a photo, again this means the title isn't detracting from the work by having it directly underneath.

It does seem like there is a psycological issue, with a Flickr user being told it has changed and is a terrible design now, so they've logged onto Flickr and immediately thought that it is a terrible design too, rather than going on with an open mind and judging by what they feel from exploring it.

zoro

The really annoying thing for me with the new layout is, my collections and sets. Previously I had them arranged in alphanumeric order ( as you would ), but now they just appear with the most recently modified first.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As I do most of my Internet browsing on my iPod touch 2nd gen, I'd thought I'd check out the new design: despite it's age and the fact my iPod's beginning to get very sluggish, the old website would load within around 10 seconds with all details; now with the new design it took 70secs for the banner alone to load, I gave up in the end…

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Now it seems to be down entirely! Just a splash screen indicating they are aware of a problem and are fixing it. Not good.

After using the new Flickr for about a week now, I have to say I am growing fond of the new layout. The contacts page is still roughly the same and I am happy the new homepage now.
I hated the whole concept at first but after getting my head around it, I have found it rather simple and good to use...

class156

I have to say that the new design is beginning to grow on me, yes I'm aware that the new layout includes adverts however this is easily rectified by adding a program such as Adblock Plus as a plugin to the browser. It's a pity that some of my contacts have been unwilling to live with the new layout for a little while and have decided to jump ship to either smugmug or Ipernity.

RPM

Established Member
I hasn't grown on me. Just too damn SLOW. It is like wading through treacle. All style, no substance. A classic dumbing down, designed to appeal to those with the attention span of a goldfish. Functionality has been sacrificed on the alter of flashy presentation, and at the expense of anyone with poor broadband and inexpensive computers. <(

The big question is can I be bothered to start again with a new photo host or should I just put up with it? After the kick in the teeth of Fotopic going belly-up I'm not sure I have the energy to start again (again).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I hasn't grown on me. Just too damn SLOW. It is like wading through treacle. All style, no substance. A classic dumbing down, designed to appeal to those with the attention span of a goldfish. Functionality has been sacrificed on the alter of flashy presentation, and at the expense of anyone with poor broadband and inexpensive computers. <(

The big question is can I be bothered to start again with a new photo host or should I just put up with it? After the kick in the teeth of Fotopic going belly-up I'm not sure I have the energy to start again (again).

The speed on mine seems to have improved but it is still slower than it was before. Plus they have backtracked a it on pro accounts meaning we keep all of the old benefits and get no adds.

I have also found that clicking away form the front page ASAP gets you into much nicer territory. As you say i dont want to bail unless there is no option. I am trying to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.