• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flickr to end free 1TB storage in early 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
Do you have a free Flickr account?

Do you have more than 1000 photos and/or videos uploaded to it?

If so, in early 2019 you will have to either upgrade to a new paid for Flickr Pro account, or download your content beyond 1000 photos and/or videos off the platform. You will have to upgrade before January 9th 2019, or download excess content before 5th February 2019.

If you don't download excess content before 5th February 2019 it will be deleted, starting with the oldest content, until your free account reaches the new 1000 photos and/or videos limit.

The new Flickr Pro account, offering unlimited ad-free storage will be $49.99 (approx £40) a year. Upgrade your free account before January 9th 2019 and you will get a 30% discount off your first year.

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/

Beginning January 8, 2019, Free accounts will be limited to 1,000 photos and videos. If you need unlimited storage, you’ll need to upgrade to Flickr Pro.

How did we choose the 1,000 photo/video limit?

While most products today sell storage in megabytes or gigabytes, the photographers we spoke to all knew about how many photos they had shot in the past few days, but few knew how much storage those photos consume without doing tricky math. Counting photos is simpler and more intuitive. It’s also more closely aligned to Flickr’s past (before 2013, Free members were limited to 200 photos), and we liked the idea of returning to our roots but with free space for five times as many photos as before....

modify_inline.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I just use Google Photos, in the high-quality mode (which reduces images to 16-megapixels and video to full HD). I have in fact now got a 1TB account that I think is being upgraded to 2TB and may switch to original quality (Google Pixel phone users can use original quality without any limits).

For Android users especially, Google Photos works exceptionally well - especially when it comes to searching for images by date, location and what's in the picture.

I always found Flickr to be a bit of a mess, but will check what photos I may have there that I haven't already put on Google Photos. There's no way I'm going to pay £40 a year, with or without a discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.