• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flights from Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I am just browsing the live flight data from Manchester Airport (making sure my son leaves the country ;)). I notice that, on several occasions, there are two or three flights to the same destinations scheduled to depart at the same time, but with different airlines. Are these all real flights, or shared services? If the latter, does this skew the stats on how popular air travel is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
I am just browsing the live flight data from Manchester Airport (making sure my son leaves the country ;)). I notice that, on several occasions, there are two or three flights to the same destinations scheduled to depart at the same time, but with different airlines. Are these all real flights, or shared services? If the latter, does this skew the stats on how popular air travel is?

I believe they are flights which are 'code-shared' - meaning that a couple of different operators sell tickets for the same flight.

For example, although Superairways operate the plane and sell their own tickets for it, it will also be advertised and tickets for the flight sold through LowcostJet.

At least that's what I think it is.... 8-)

pemma

Veteran Member
A departure from this morning at Manchester:

AF1999----06:50 Paris-Cdg----Departed 07:48
BE3123----06:50 Paris-Cdg----Departed 07:48

That is a code sharing agreement between Air France and Flybe so one plane will have operated but both airlines will have sold seats on it.

However, there are some instances where a flight departs/arrives at the almost same time as another flight to/from the same airport and there are two different planes. Quite often this happens with charter flights. For instance:

TCX472----10:25 Sanford----Departing 11:25
TOM126----10:30 Sanford----Final Boarding

In this case the two flights use different terminals and one is running close to time and the other is delayed. I think on some days there are actually different Palma flights scheduled to arrive in Manchester at exactly the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

stut

Established Member
There are some cases when flights scheduled at the same time to the same destination are actually different flights (I've been on a LGW-GCI flight on BE that had an Aurigny service set to leave at the same time, to the same place, from an adjacent gate - there was remarkably little confusion, considering) but these are the exception rather than the rule!

flymo

Established Member
I hate these code-share flight numbers but it does occasionally throw up some strange combinations.

Using Manchester as an example, this morning the 05:55 KLM flight KL1072 to Amsterdam was also :

Ukraine International PS9472
Kenya Airways KQ1072
China Southern CZ7876
Delta Airlines DL9367.

Marvellous :D:D

pemma

Veteran Member
I hate these code-share flight numbers but it does occasionally throw up some strange combinations.

Using Manchester as an example, this morning the 05:55 KLM flight KL1072 to Amsterdam was also :

Ukraine International PS9472
Kenya Airways KQ1072
China Southern CZ7876
Delta Airlines DL9367.

Marvellous :D:D

That'll be down to KLM's aim of saying that you can fly almost anywhere via Amsterdam.

I've noticed virtually all BA flights between Manchester and Gatwick/Heathrow now have an Iberia flight number as well as their BA number.

flymo

Established Member
I've noticed virtually all BA flights between Manchester and Gatwick/Heathrow now have an Iberia flight number as well as their BA number.

Not to mention in the case of Heathrow, any combination of all or some of
Cathay Pacific (CX)
Kingfisher (IT) - Are they still flying??
Royal Jordanian (RJ)
Japan Air Lines (JL)
Air Berlin (AB)
American Airlines (AA)
Qantas (QF)

Bonkers :D

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
yes they are code-shares, say I booked a ticket with Cathay pacific from Manchester to Hong-Kong, I would have Cathay pacific tickets and that and I would have to fly to Heathrow first, so the flight would be operated by British Airways, but it would be advertised as Cathay pacific as well. Another example is if I booked a ticket from Toronto to Delhi, I could book from Toronto to Dehli with Air Canada, but I would take an Air Canada to Heathrow then a Jet airways plane to Dehli. It will be advertised as Air Canada as well but is operated by Jet airways. Often you will find cabin crew from the airline that is code-sharing on the other plane so there probably be Air Canada staff on the Jet Airways flight. Hope this sort of helps ;)

starrymarkb

Established Member
I found it cheaper to book with Delta on the flight from Bristol to Amsterdam (operated by KLM Cityhopper) using a codeshare.

BMI flights could have up to 10 different numbers due to the amount of code sharing :roll:

BE have now added KLM to their codeshares along with Etihad, BA and Air Frog. Booking with a codeshare airline on Flybe means you get free luggage rather then having to pay for it if you booked direct!

Often airlines share with their Alliance Partners ie BA codeshares with other Oneworld members

SwindonPkwy

starrymarkb said:
I found it cheaper to book with Delta on the flight from Bristol to Amsterdam (operated by KLM Cityhopper) using a codeshare.
That is worth knowing. I wonder if it is also the case when flying with BA in Europe but booking through AA, JL, CX or QF.

By the way, when booking with Delta, I presume you were quoted and paid in pounds.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
flymo said:
China Southern CZ7876

If only China Southern did fly from Manchester to Amsterdam!

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There are some cases when flights scheduled at the same time to the same destination are actually different flights (I've been on a LGW-GCI flight on BE that had an Aurigny service set to leave at the same time, to the same place, from an adjacent gate - there was remarkably little confusion, considering) but these are the exception rather than the rule!

Understandably this happens regularly at airports with more than two runways (ie. more than one for take-off and one for landing at the same time). It happens less often at single-runway airports however in the public timetable, flights are booked to depart in 5-minute slots. You could easily have more than one flight leaving within the same slot.

funny you should say that, a China Southern 747-400F came FROM AMS to MAN to collect a cargo of pigs to take back to China.

http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=38542

Don't be surprised if an actual long-haul passenger flight starts soon. I believe that London - Xiamen / Chongqing / Wuhan are all markets that have not been tapped in to.

starrymarkb

Established Member
That is worth knowing. I wonder if it is also the case when flying with BA in Europe but booking through AA, JL, CX or QF.

By the way, when booking with Delta, I presume you were quoted and paid in pounds.

They did indeed quote and I paid in pounds. IIRC KLM wanted £81 and Delta was £75. In addition DL didn't charge a credit card fee (with KLM that's an extra £5) so the saving was a bit over 10%. As I gave my Flying Blue number when I booked, I can log in and manage the booking on KLM.com as normal. I'll let you know if the experience on the day varies.

pemma

Veteran Member

Isn't there always a requirement for the flight to be sold under the law and currency of the country you are departing from (on your outbound flight if purchasing a return)?

Status
Not open for further replies.