Flights to Madrid for the Cup Final

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Greg Read, 9 May 2019.

1. Greg Read

Greg Read Member

With many moaning about the price of fares on our Railways, spare a thought for those heading for Madrid for the Cup Final, with fares around £1,300 !
    Easy Jet are doing a fare for £750, the catch is, that is one way !

Then it seems, once you find a flight... there is no chance of finding a Hotel room for less than £1000 ! (one night)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Condor7

Condor7 Member

I thought about going but the price convinced me that watching from the comfort of my own home with some friends some beers and pizza wasn’t such a bad alternative.

4. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

It is a simple case of supply & demand. Happens every year there is a cup final. Accommodation around the host city is hiked up as well as transportation.

The closest the railway gets is the non availability (or poor availability) of advance tickets.

5. Clip

Clip On Moderation

Cheapest from Manchester are around 560 mark which is hefty but are returns but massive long journeys with 1 stop in them

6. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Why don't these people look at going via Paris on Eurostar, TGV and AVE? Yes, it takes a bit longer but it's not going to cost anywhere near as much - although I agree it wouldn't solve the hotel prices half of the issue.

7. AM9

AM9 Established Member

Spain is a country brimming with leisure accommodation. Both Barcelona and Seville are connected to Madrid by high speed lines. Travel time (on both) 2Hrs 45Mins. It could take longer to get from Liverpool to White Hart Lane or London to The Cop.

8. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

The charter operators (e.g. Thomas Cook) are bound to start arranging some flights soon. Also the transport journalist Simon Calder on Sky Sports News today was saying that scheduled carriers such as BA may decide to roster some larger aircraft (e.g. 747s) to the route so some fares may come down.

9. 158756

158756 Member

Not that easy to get there though. We've seen what Easyjet are charging :- for airlines not going quite that extreme, on the 31st May (day before the final) Ryanair have seats available only on an extra Liverpool-Madrid flight they've put on (at £400 one way), everything else to mainland Spain is showing sold out. Same from Manchester - Ryanair flights to Spain completely sold out, Jet2 just have Girona at £300.

10. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Established Member

Thomas Cook are arranging flights. About £550 return.

Trouble is the match is the last weekend of half term, and most airlines have their fleets fully employed that Saturday / Sunday.

11. Bald Rick

You say that, but you’re looking at about £800 return from London. Plus, if you don’t want to spend 13-14 hours travelling in one day (each way) another £100 at least for hotels / food etc en route.

Personally I’d rather spend the money on the plane. There will be plenty of charters going, just not confirmed yet.

12. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

As much as that?! Yikes!! Six years ago I did a family of four from St Pancras to Lourdes - admittedly a shorter distance - for roughly £400 return in total, including an overnight stopover in Paris in each direction.

13. Bald Rick

I just checked, Friday out, Sunday back. Best bet would be to stay in Barca Friday night, and you’d have to stay in Madrid Saturday. Even then you’re looking at £170 Eurostar, €320 TGV Paris- Barca, and €180 Barca to Madrid. So about £600. Plus 2 hotels and 2 extra days ‘provisions’. And Madrid hotels are not cheap for that Saturday night!

14. sprunt

sprunt Member

Just be grateful you aren't trying to work out how to get to Baku...

15. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

I'm wondering how much UK<>Spain ferries are going for at the moment.

16. Bald Rick

Outbound are all sold out next week.

17. greyman42

greyman42 On Moderation

Would flying via Amsterdam or Frankfurt be an option?

18. AnthonyRail

AnthonyRail Member

If you had a connecting flight at Amsterdam with different airline but it was 22 hrs layover are you allowed to leave airport and spend time in Amsterdam? Then return to catch flight to Madrid.

They don’t expect you too sleep 22hrs at airport do they?

19. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

You're free to leave, passport and visa permitting.

20. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

My no 2 son is going for the "atmosphere" (has a free sofa to sleep on !) , quick of the mark and with my advice he and his mate scored a £250 return off Gatwick to Alicante (British Airways) - and a £65 return on the HS train. Pays to have some advice and to dive in quickly