• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

carlberry

Established Member
Its BM coaches as the o licence holder for the services in question that would be called in front of the commissioner . Turners coachways have all been compliant
I'd imagine the issue is between the person who's bought a ticket and the supplier of the service that has failed to supply the service (i.e. Flixbus or their franchise). There may be a secondary issue with the provider of the coach however if they've provided a coach for a hire, and satisfied the needs of the hire, then I don't see that they're actually to blame. (i.e. it's still legal to hire out none complaint coaches).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
I'd imagine the issue is between the person who's bought a ticket and the supplier of the service that has failed to supply the service (i.e. Flixbus or their franchise). There may be a secondary issue with the provider of the coach however if they've provided a coach for a hire, and satisfied the needs of the hire, then I don't see that they're actually to blame. (i.e. it's still legal to hire out none complaint coaches).

As an operator licence holder they are under jurisdiction to comply with legislation, not the person who hires them. They are the operator and will Know legislation for the type of work they’ve been contracted for. They’ve painted the non compliant vehicle in flix livery. It is their licence they are risking by using non compliant vehicles

MotCO

Established Member
As an operator licence holder they are under jurisdiction to comply with legislation, not the person who hires them. They are the operator and will Know legislation for the type of work they’ve been contracted for. They’ve painted the non compliant vehicle in flix livery. It is their licence they are risking by using non compliant vehicles

Are vehicles still able to be non-compliant if they don't operate for more than 20 days a year? It certainly used to apply to buses. If so, can non-compliant coaches be used on scheduled services for 20 days a year?

Mwanesh

Flixbus did not think this through. They wanted to start on the cheap. The other problem is finding contractors during this time. Its going to be interesting when their network gets chopped after a trial run. They could have tried it a little longer.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The difference is neither have been found out on twitter in the way Flixbus have - I get the impression they will resolve this quickly given the reputational damage that will come from this. They appear to be publicly aware (in the same way the train companies are) of anything appearing on twitter that could negatively impact on their reputation.

And yet not aware of the laws applying to their services. Can you imagine National Express doing this?

richw

Veteran Member
Are vehicles still able to be non-compliant if they don't operate for more than 20 days a year? It certainly used to apply to buses. If so, can non-compliant coaches be used on scheduled services for 20 days a year?
The 20 day rule only applies to vehicles over 20 years old. There is no such allowance for newer vehicles

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And yet not aware of the laws applying to their services. Can you imagine National Express doing this?

Well, quite. They appear to be being disreputable and predatory in the manner of the worst "bus war".

They are clearly not short of money, so I had expected them to flood the market with quality, brand new vehicles on a well researched set of routes - this approach has surprised me massively.

M803UYA

Well, quite. They appear to be being disreputable and predatory in the manner of the worst "bus war".

They are clearly not short of money, so I had expected them to flood the market with quality,It's brand new vehicles on a well researched set of routes - this approach has surprised me massively.
It is a surprise, as you say. It seems Flixbus is envisaging an operation on the lines of National Express (O licence for 1 vehicle using sub contractors). It would be interesting to understand how they operate PSVAR compliant coaches in their mainland Europe operations, given the interpretation is different here.

It's evident they are going to need to run a different sort of vehicle for their UK operations, that said Evobus have stocks of PSVAR compliant Tourismos.

M803UYA

I have to say I can't, given they are the primary customer for the Caetano Levante, which was more or less designed for their requirements.

I assume in mainland Europe, the requirements for accessible coaches differ from the UK, so presumably in mainland Europe Flixbus vehicles comply with the 'local' legislation?

MotCO

Established Member
I assume in mainland Europe, the requirements for accessible coaches differ from the UK, so presumably in mainland Europe Flixbus vehicles comply with the 'local' legislation?

One thought has occurred to me. I assume that theses routes aren't somehow registered in Europe, therefore not requiring compliant vehicles? I was thinking that maybe the new routes are 'extensions' of services from Europe. Or do all routes require registration in all the countries they pass through? (Oh what fun they'd be if Scotland became independent!)

richw

Veteran Member
One thought has occurred to me. I assume that theses routes aren't somehow registered in Europe, therefore not requiring compliant vehicles? I was thinking that maybe the new routes are 'extensions' of services from Europe. Or do all routes require registration in all the countries they pass through? (Oh what fun they'd be if Scotland became independent!)

registration is irrelevant, vehicles still need to be compliant.
none of these services run through to Europe at present So are entirely domestics

M803UYA

registration is irrelevant, vehicles still need to be compliant.
none of these services run through to Europe at present So are entirely domestics
They do need to, in the UK. Was BM's 19 plate Van Hool used on Eurolines work prior to coming onto Flixbus? That suggests it's fine to operate abroad on scheduled services but isn't for UK work.

carlberry

Established Member
Flixbus did not think this through. They wanted to start on the cheap. The other problem is finding contractors during this time. Its going to be interesting when their network gets chopped after a trial run. They could have tried it a little longer.
I imagine there is no shortage of operators who would be willing to supply compliant vehicles at present, even at stupid rates, just to get some work at the moment. Whilst Second hand Levantes had a price premium a few months ago they're still obtainable.

It's even possible that Stagecoach would have been willing to flog off some of the left hand drive stuff they've still got! :D

richw

Veteran Member
They do need to, in the UK. Was BM's 19 plate Van Hool used on Eurolines work prior to coming onto Flixbus? That suggests it's fine to operate abroad on scheduled services but isn't for UK work.
As I said it only applies to domestic services, that means it doesn’t apply to U.K. to Europe services.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
As I said it only applies to domestic services, that means it doesn’t apply to U.K. to Europe services.
So theoretically Flixbus could extend their routes to somewhere arbitary like Dublin Ferry port or Calais to follow the letter of the law?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
They were used on Ouibus/Blablabus services to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam I believe, but under the guise of YPIJ (a technically separate operator, but who share a common Director).

route101

Established Member
Willbe interesting to see how they fare up against Megabus and NX. What makes one book flixbus ahead of the others ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Willbe interesting to see how they fare up against Megabus and NX. What makes one book flixbus ahead of the others ?

Coaches pretty much only compete on price (as if you wanted to spend more you'd go by train), which is why it's important that Flix must not be allowed to make their operation cheaper by not providing the legally required accessible vehicles, and that they must be penalised for having not done so.

MotCO

Established Member
Probably price, destinations and timings - if they are more convenient for you than the competitors, you will chose them. However, has Flixbus done much advertising? If not, the already established brands will be the ones potential pasengers will turn to.

overthewater

Established Member
Has anyone actually phone or complained to the Traffic commissioner. Or the way things have been going phoning the Daily Mail and telling them Foreign company etc etc writes it self.

M803UYA

Has anyone actually phone or complained to the Traffic commissioner. Or the way things have been going phoning the Daily Mail and telling them Foreign company etc etc writes it self.
I've looked on DVSA Operator Search and it appears the Flixbus O licence remains under consideration. It was listed for Public Inquiry in March but one assumes that it's been delayed due to CV19 or it's been heard remotely and the application granted.

The UK company only has 1 disc, so a similar arrangement to that used by National Express must be how it's operating.

Have a look at richw's post #96 - the customer concerned has indeed complained to the TC and to Flixbus. What is not revealed are the subsequent responses from Flixbus.

Mwanesh

The problem is on the Bristol - London section the incumbents offer a service that even has turn up and go. Megabus has a customer service assistant at Bond Street he sells walk on tickets.NatEx you can buy a ticket from the driver. Snap tried and failed to make it pay

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The problem is on the Bristol - London section the incumbents offer a service that even has turn up and go. Megabus has a customer service assistant at Bond Street he sells walk on tickets.

To be fair if you own a smartphone all coach services (and most flights, at a usually fairly hefty price) offer turn up and go :)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They're currently running a promotion where you can book a journey for £1, although you have to shell out another £1 on the booking fee.

Have we not been through this before with a certain Stagecoach owned firm, i seem to recall it ended in them being told to remove all £1 advertising? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
They're currently running a promotion where you can book a journey for £1, although you have to shell out another £1 on the booking fee.

I've seen nothing about it on this thread and it's not obvious on their website, so it's quite hard to answer the question.