• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding at Farringdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
Super - lets see what the snow brings!

I think the regular commuters are really just in exhausted mode along with the staff. Elstree/Radlett I imagine are much stroppier, St A and above people are actually mostly managing to get a train in. There are some usual very vocal critics (see twitter) and a whole load of tourists/occassional travellers who are just confused or cross.

I think everyone is exhausted after this.

Take it none of our prayers got the 12 cars running around this evening on the north side?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lev441

Take it none of our prayers got the 12 cars running around this evening on the north side?

There were some running late at night I believe (at least according to the TL website when I was checking departure times)

hassaanhc

Established Member

When I looked at the website at roughly 2200, two services (although timings pointed to it being the same set) were shown as 12 coaches instead of 8, so there was at least one 12-car consist running around at some point.

RJ

Established Member
Anyway, it sounds like were running a full service tomorrow - subject to the snow causing issues..::lol:

It's just one thing after the other! Snow always seemed to hit FCC's TL service really hard, much harder than the Southern metro network. No trains into London this weekend due to planned engineering works either.

Class377/5

Established Member
There were four 12 cars around for peak. Two of them ran well into the night.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Has Tom Edwards from the BBC just taken what Thames Water has said as gospel, and not even considered whether faulty drains somehow put NR at fault despite hundreds of thousands of litres of water leaking in the first place?

fusionblue

I emailed Thameslink about how poorly the Sevenoaks line was handled with the timetable, and they say:

"I understand that this must have been frustrating for you but due to the sheer number of amendments taking place, often at very short notice, it was difficult to keep everyone up to date with timetable amendments as the flooding continued much longer than anticipated. We kept the website updated with any changes as best we could and used our information systems at stations to let customers know about ticket easements."

I'm not sure a two-sentence summary for the entire day, for both times the core was closed for an entire branch counts as "best we could". Plus, with the ticket office being closed and the only information on the screens being "Welcome to Southeastern" yesterday these "information systems" (particularly those within Thameslink's control) wasn't exactly of much use.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm not sure GTR knows how to put information on the 'special notices' section of some boards.

It certainly doesn't seem to have realised that appending TfL information to the end of the stopping pattern text on the platform displays (which shows even on trains heading away from London, as well as only showing delays relating to TfL services) now means that in some cases anyone wanting to see where the train will call can wait 50 seconds or so before it starts over.

I didn't see ANY information about the delays at St Pancras on trains heading into King's Cross earlier this week. There was simply a pre-recorded announcement that was apologising and could have been 'read' as if the apology was for previous delays and now everything was running as normal again.

I have to say that I've not checked the GNRail website for ages, so have no idea how good or bad the information there was. Nor have I loaded the Thameslink app to see how smartphone users fare.

AM9

Veteran Member
I emailed Thameslink about how poorly the Sevenoaks line was handled with the timetable, and they say:

"I understand that this must have been frustrating for you but due to the sheer number of amendments taking place, often at very short notice, it was difficult to keep everyone up to date with timetable amendments as the flooding continued much longer than anticipated. We kept the website updated with any changes as best we could and used our information systems at stations to let customers know about ticket easements."

I'm not sure a two-sentence summary for the entire day, for both times the core was closed for an entire branch counts as "best we could". Plus, with the ticket office being closed and the only information on the screens being "Welcome to Southeastern" yesterday these "information systems" (particularly those within Thameslink's control) wasn't exactly of much use.

Whilst I can understand some irritation that an individual's travel arrangements have been affected by the disruption in the core, the Sevenoaks service is slightly different to the mainline service from the north. For example, a look at the SE timetable shows that there are eight trains from Sevenoaks arriving at one of LBG, CST or WAE/CHX between 08:00 and 09:00. There are 6 per hour during most of the day.
From the north there was a service that was about 1/3 of it's normal and there is only one line into any London terminal.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Surprised there aren't more updates from today.

Some horror stories about delays out there - my journey in wasn't too bad, but the queue to get into the underground was crazy. Going home, it was set to be awful. Given the snow, I suspected it would be bad so left v. early and got a train from St P at 4. Even then passengers weren't allowed down to platforms until train had arrived, and the train I was on changed from all stations to fast and back to all stations before it left 10 mins late (and without the all stations passengers because they had already got off....
Perhaps that was done because they didn't want all stations passengers on so those further up the line had a better chance of boarding.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Given that the LU station is still open and is an active intervention point, just a disused part of the station, I would expect access to it to be exceedingly easy should a good reason for access (and the appropriate authority) be made available...

Can't quite work out which point this is a response to? Were you answering a suggestion somewhere?

21C101

Established Member
Can't quite work out which point this is a response to? Were you answering a suggestion somewhere?

I think he has mixed Farringdon up with Kings Cross Thameslink (decd)

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well, thats the week completed, fairly normal today. Lets hope the signalling change over at the weekend goes smoothly and we don't have any interesting times on Monday morning.

Absolutely knackered!~

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Good service today - albeit a few shortforms - great to have the service back after a torrid week.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Lets hope the signalling change over at the weekend goes smoothly and we don't have any interesting times on Monday morning.

It's only a rehearsal of the changeover. But also some points renewals at Kentish Town and conductor beam works at St P.

Status
Not open for further replies.