• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding at multiple locations on XC (also some EMR and GWR), lines blocked (14/11/2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffield

Established Member
National rail report all lines blocked at Bromsgrove. From RT trains some trains appear to be stranded approaching Bromsgrove (but may have e.g. reversed now if possible). Some XC services seem to be diverting via Droitwich and Kidderminster (trains 'disappearing' at Abbotswood Junction, but I haven't seen any 'reappear' at Birmingham New Street yet). It's not stated on the NR site but the flooding appears to be North of Bromsgrove.

Edit: As per below diversions appear impossible due to further flooding.

Edit: Diversions in place later, see further posts below.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Flooding at Abbotswood Jcn. Block to trains from Abbotswood and Bromsgrove.

CrossCountry ticket holders with tickets marked 14 November 2019 may use their tickets on CrossCountry services on Friday 15 November.

duffield

Established Member
Flooding at Abbotswood Jcn. Block to trains from Abbotswood and Bromsgrove.

Right, that explains it, thought it was just Bromsgrove.

Edit: One of the stranded trains, 1M41 12:00 Bristol TM to Manchester was just reported as passing Abbotswood Junction 113mins late.

Edit: 1M41 is just arriving at Birmingham New Street 2 hours late so it looks like the XC diversion via Droitwich and Kidderminster is passable.

Last edited:

PartyOperator

Also flooding on the line between Hereford and Malvern. And there’s severe disruption on the A46, A38 and M5 so the roads aren’t much better.

duffield

Established Member
What with the earlier flooding at Lydney affecting XC on the Nottingham - Cardiff route (no trains between Gloucester and Cardiff last time I looked), it seems the whole central part of the XC network is very badly disrupted. Thread title amended to reflect this.

Edit: Actually Birmingham to Stansted seems OK - for now!

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
The tree down at Breadsall plus the flooding at Draycott will mean nothing can operate north of Derby.

EMR says that London - Derby services will be diverted between Long Eaton and Derby, presumably this means via Castle Donington?

duffield

Established Member
The tree down at Breadsall plus the flooding at Draycott will mean nothing can operate north of Derby.

EMR says that London - Derby services will be diverted between Long Eaton and Derby, presumably this means via Castle Donington?

I would expect that, I seem to remember there's a regular service via that route for route retention.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Looks like with all these flooding reports that I'd say it's almost void day declared. Lets just pray that nothing becomes horrendously late - up to 2 to 3 hours late isn't that bad really.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Right, that explains it, thought it was just Bromsgrove.

Edit: One of the stranded trains, 1M41 12:00 Bristol TM to Manchester was just reported as passing Abbotswood Junction 113mins late.

Edit: 1M41 is just arriving at Birmingham New Street 2 hours late so it looks like the XC diversion via Droitwich and Kidderminster is passable.

That's not the biggest delay sadly - the 12:20 from Birmingham New Street to Bristol Temple Meads (7-car HST I guess because of engineering works between Taunton and Tiverton Parkway) was reported, on XC's JourneyCheck as being delayed at Bromsgrove and expected to be 160 minutes late.

It's return from Bristol Temple Meads at 14:30 (1S51) to Glasgow Central is being covered by a 5-car Voyager - I had a look at Tiger train times for the 16:03 at Birmingham New Street.

My guess is either the 16:30 to Edinburgh or 17:30 to Leeds (either from Bristol Temple Meads) will be the original 1S51.

Edit (16:17 - 14/11/19): Gets worse - a trains been reported hitting a cow. Says here...

https://twitter.com/CrossCountryUK/status/1195009909047414784?s=19

Last edited:

diffident

CrossCountry just said on Twitter that the line from Derby to Nottingham will be closed for the rest of the day;
"UPDATE: Lines are expected to be closed between Derby and Long Eaton/Nottingham for the rest of the day due to extensive flooding. Road transport will currently be sourced."

Last edited by a moderator:

HOOVER29

Im sat in front of the fire with a mug of tea & a humongous piece of fruit cake.
Oh & there’s now sleet falling
And the road by the house is flooded
And a tree is down on the road to the A42.
And the M42 isn’t brilliant.
At least I’m not in work tonight

gazzaa2

Getting to the point now where i'm reluctant to travel any real distance via train if there's rain forecast because the lines are liable to be flooded and i'm potentially stranded for the night. Same goes for a particularly hot day, high winds, frost or snow.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Getting to the point now where i'm reluctant to travel any real distance via train if there's rain forecast because the lines are liable to be flooded and i'm potentially stranded for the night. Same goes for a particularly hot day, high winds, frost or snow.

To be fair the rain has been pretty much relentless in many areas since the end of September, to point where many reservoirs are over 100% full and discharging record amounts over their splillways and into the rivers downstream, so all the run off from the hills that is normally gets stored behind a dam ends up heading downstream at a rate of knots.

You are right in that in these conditions, all non essential travel should be avoided in the areas affected

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What with the earlier flooding at Lydney affecting XC on the Nottingham - Cardiff route (no trains between Gloucester and Cardiff last time I looked), it seems the whole central part of the XC network is very badly disrupted. Thread title amended to reflect this.

Edit: Actually Birmingham to Stansted seems OK - for now!

Thread now includes GWR and EMR

Established Member

Yes running via Stenson and Castle Donington. It was unusual seeing a 222 arrive on platform 1 from London as I waited for my train home.

It didn't help that Derby became a sort of dumping ground for trains with a lot of trains without crew which meant that all the accessible platforms to the West/North becoming blocked and quite a few trains waiting outside for a platform. It is understandable considering most of the roads in the area have been blocked/full of traffic.

reddragon

Established Member
GWR reports of flooding

Roads have similar reports

Alterations to services between Moreton-In-Marsh and Worcester Shrub Hill

Following flooding between Moreton-in-Marsh and Worcester Shrub Hill the line has now reopened.
Train services running through these stations are returning to normal but some services will still be delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Delays to services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Cheltenham Spa

Following flooding between Worcester Shrub Hill and Cheltenham Spa all lines are now open.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed. Disruption is expected until 21:00 14/11.

Cancellations to services between Great Malvern and Hereford

Due to heavy rain flooding the railway between Great Malvern and Hereford the line is closed.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

On Moderation
You are right in that in these conditions, all non essential travel should be avoided in the areas affected
I do wish someone would actually define that term. It means different things to different people and is an utterly meaningless phrase.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Does this day hold the record for the most UK lines ,flooded? I know this doesn't quite make sense but has there been worse days for flooding on UK railways?

Going back to 1S55, XC's JourneyCheck shows this being 100 minutes late from Birmingham New and gone down to 85 minutes between Sheffield and York.

Good thinking (and common sense) running the last train from Bristol (Temple Meads and Parkway), Cheltenham and Birmingham New Street to Edinburgh as an HST. I bet it's not that busy!

Established Member
Does this day hold the record for the most UK lines ,flooded? I know this doesn't quite make sense but has there been worse days for flooding on UK railways?

Going back to 1S55, XC's JourneyCheck shows this being 100 minutes late from Birmingham New and gone down to 85 minutes between Sheffield and York.

Good thinking (and common sense) running the last train from Bristol (Temple Meads and Parkway), Cheltenham and Birmingham New Street to Edinburgh as an HST. I bet it's not that busy!
It had nothing to do with good thinking or common sense. They needed to run that train through to get the set to Craigentinny for tomorrow. And as it is the last service from the West Country to Scotland it has potential to be a lot of expensive taxis if it doesnt run.

brad465

Established Member
I don't have figures on this but the winter of 2013-14 could easily have flooded numerous lines; I don't think the Dawlish sea front counts, but I know Thames Valley orientated lines and lines over the Somerset levels were badly hit.

Rich McLean

Established Member
I do wish someone would actually define that term. It means different things to different people and is an utterly meaningless phrase.
Travelling to and from work where working from home isn't an option (lets say you work for the NHS for arguments sake) that's essential travel. Travelling to a town centre for a spot of shopping or a trip to the flicks is not essential travel and can wait.

Rich McLean

Established Member
I don't have figures on this but the winter of 2013-14 could easily have flooded numerous lines; I don't think the Dawlish sea front counts, but I know Thames Valley orientated lines and lines over the Somerset levels were badly hit.
The Somerset levels watercourses are now beginning to struggle, but since the dredging work was done, they are coping several times better, but another month of so of relentless rain could tip the balance and the lot could be flooded again resulting in line blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.