• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding at Stratford Regional

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

The Central Line is partially suspended between Bethnal Green and Leytonstone due to flooding at Stratford Regional. The one thing that concerns me about this is the fact that with the Olympics now a few weeks away, will there be flooding at Stratford and will it be safe? I know that Greater Anglia will be operating some Stratford-Liverpool Street services so people can still get back to the Central Line but it will be travel chaos if there's flooding during the Olympics. With the Bakerloo line also down on the underground section at the moment and a Jubilee line problem earlier - is the tube really going to be safe for the Olympics?
And here's the proof, BBC's twitter feed (it may need a bit of searching)

- I know this topic will have been used to death but all this disruption could be very serious in the long run.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
London 2012 Olympics -

* A commitment made by Livingston to spend billions upon billions of council (and other) tax payers money without any referral to those who will be footing the bill

* Will not benefit the vast majority of Londoners in the slightest - will in fact greatly inconvenience millions of them

- hence, do I care if people miss the games because of the ensuing transport mess ?

Will let you guess the answer to that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
From the TfL website:

Central Line
Suspended between Leytonstone and Bethnal Green due to a burst water main causing flooding at Stratford. Rail replacement buses operate. Severe delays are occurring on the rest of the line.
This is out of the control of TfL and unlucky. It's also only very marginally relevant to Olympic preparedness (are Thames Water going to be quick enough when this repeats on Day 1?).

And of course its safe, they've stopped the trains to make sure it is.

Let's not make this something it isn't.

VTPreston_Tez

From the TfL website:

Central Line
Suspended between Leytonstone and Bethnal Green due to a burst water main causing flooding at Stratford. Rail replacement buses operate. Severe delays are occurring on the rest of the line.
This is out of the control of TfL and unlucky. It's also only very marginally relevant to Olympic preparedness (are Thames Water going to be quick enough when this repeats on Day 1?).

And of course its safe, they've stopped the trains to make sure it is.

Let's not make this something it isn't.

And what if this does happen during the Olympics? There will be travel chaos so I'd expect Thames Water to carry out appropriate action in preparedness for the Olympics if this could happen, lowering the chances of a flood at Stratford with so many people heading home at once.

ChristopherJ

I was at Stratford at 18:00. It was chaos. I traveled from North Greenwich to Shenfield. The Jubilee Line and Ganglia was overwhelmed with passengers from the Central Line.

There was a 1992 stock that was abandoned in the westbound platform with only 2 carriages in the station. The remainder of the train was still down the ramp towards the tunnel.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
...I'd expect Thames Water to carry out appropriate action in preparedness for the Olympics ...

Good luck with that.

In all honesty, it's so unlikely that it'll just be incredibly, incredibly unfortunate if (when) it happens.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also note that I completely failed to check whether or not Thames Water were the local water company.

Which they might not be.

I think it's vaguely near a water company boundary.

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
Cant stop these freak things happening, of course it happened last Summer at South Croydon causing even more disruption. At the end of the day, the buck stops with Thames Water - but thankfully burst mains causing disruption to the railway/tube networks is very rare.

Lucky this didnt happen during the Olympics itself - would be total chaos if it did.

Manchester77

Established Member
I was at Stratford at 18:00. It was chaos. I traveled from North Greenwich to Shenfield. The Jubilee Line and Ganglia was overwhelmed with passengers from the Central Line.

There was a 1992 stock that was abandoned in the westbound platform with only 2 carriages in the station. The remainder of the train was still down the ramp towards the tunnel.

Probably stopped due to the water shorting out traction.

DarkestDreams

Chaos this afternoon, with signs up warning that disruption will probably continue in the morning. The burst was actually at Mile End according to Thames Water - but I took the Jubilee to Stratford and then had to wait in a queue for half an hour for a bus. TfL seemed to be doing a sterling job today though, informing people and so on.

I only wish more could be done - and I hope that people will be encouraged to use the Javelin trains during Olympic time!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In terms of the closed section, the exact location of the burst is relatively unimportant (to the general public) as there's no crossovers between Bethnal Green and Leytonstone.

Clip

Established Member
Was only a couple of weeks ago that 2 subways were closed in the main station due to burst drains or something. Wonder if too much infrastructure and the nice shiny Westfield next to it has anything to do with these incidents?

Status
Not open for further replies.