• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding disruption (12/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
A convergence zone has set up over London. This is a line of slow moving torrential rain, which can dump an excessive amount of rain in a short period of time.

So far, Euston has suspended its departures due to flooding.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Essexman

Established Member
Paddington’s roof not working well.
Loads of disruption on Underground too.

al78

Established Member
The poor summer localised to the SE continues. July looks to be the third consecutive wetter than average month here.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The poor summer localised to the SE continues. July looks to be the third consecutive wetter than average month here.
meanwhile in the west we have had 1 and a half days of rain otherwise beautiful and sunny weather

fgwrich

Established Member
Reports of Flooding in Southampton tunnel too (from SWR - though ironically it did used to be a canal). Yet oddly, nothing up here in the North Hampshire / Berkshire border.

irish_rail

Established Member
meanwhile in the west we have had 1 and a half days of rain otherwise beautiful and sunny weather
Beautiful sunny weather? What part of the West are u in? Down Plymouth we had a couple of good weeks in June and that's it. Loads of rain past few days, roads all flooded and the line was shut last week too at Plympton.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
West London Line closed.
Nothing moving at Richmond.
Slow lines closed at Belsize tunnel (MML).
Various lines with temporary speed restrictions on due to earthworks risk.

To show how localised it is - I can see it raining very hard about 3 miles from my front door, but dry as a bone here.

Ken_Ilworth

Avanti have set up acceptance with Chiltern. Unhelpfully London Northwestern still tweeting that acceptance is not in place.

Edit: comprehensive acceptance in place from about 1830; Thameslink from 1900-ish

Last edited:

PTR 444

Established Member

Anonymous10

Established Member
u
Beautiful sunny weather? What part of the West are u in? Down Plymouth we had a couple of good weeks in June and that's it. Loads of rain past few days, roads all flooded and the line was shut last week too at Plympton.
when i say west i mean it west wales

bramling

Veteran Member

It’s certainly shaping up to be a strange summer, as well as poor, summer. The north seems to be shaping up better, for once.

We’ve been in the Newcastle area and it hasn’t been too bad, though a bit cloudy at times, but today has been the first rain for a week, and it hasn’t been too heavy. By contrast the rain alarm phone app for home has been sounding off constantly.

bassmike

On Moderation
Bit pedantic but canal tunnel at Soton underneath the rail tunnel.
Reports of Flooding in Southampton tunnel too (from SWR - though ironically it did used to be a canal). Yet oddly, nothing up here in the North Hampshire / Berkshire border.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I was on 1A47 into London Euston. Passing through Camden I could barely see the top of the tracks and it can only imagine how much worse it has got.

I've got rather lucky in that I was on the second to last train to arrive into London Euston and that we were only 2 minutes late.

Nova1

Avanti have set up acceptance with Chiltern. Unhelpfully London Northwestern still tweeting that acceptance is not in place
LNR have got ticket acceptance with Chiltern (Marylebone <-> Birmingham), East Midlands Railway (St. Pancras <-> Derby), CrossCountry (Birmingham <-> Leicester, Tamworth, Derby), Thameslink (St Pancras <-> Bedford)

Although it seemed to be organized somewhat slowly, they tweeted this 15 minutes ago and Avanti had acceptance with Chiltern and EMR just under an hour ago.

APT618S

Wondered why the queue at KGX ticket office was right round all the internal barriers, out the door and across the open area to being past WH Smiths. LNER announcing that Avanti customers need to visit the ticket office to get reservations !

Uk125

I'm at Euston, was going to Liverpool lime Street 7.03pm. got no choice but going back to my friend's flat in Folkestone. My boss won't be happy in the morning when she seen my email

Deepgreen

Established Member
We are just passing 30mm for the day as I write. The summer's global cyclical pattern has set up such that, for example, western USA and Canada are having exceptional heat, whereas east US is cooler, and that jet stream pattern continues across the Atlantic to give us, especially eastern UK, cool and wet conditions. As a gardener I appreciate it after the driest April on record (the only precipitation that fell in the whole month here was snow!).

To show how localised it is - I can see it raining very hard about 3 miles from my front door, but dry as a bone here.
It's not especially localised - there is heavy rain associated with a small low pressure and convergence zone over very large parts of southern England but, equally, some places have missed the showers, which is in the nature of showers.
Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 19.39.06.png

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What (if anything) stops excess rainwater flowing downhill into the platforms at Euston on a day like today? Always thought it was mostly uphill out of the station up the Camden Bank, or is it slightly downhill initially?

Elecman

Established Member
I would think the track drainage pumps by the old Downside sidings will be working flat out but wether the outfall drainage can cope is another matter

Last edited:

ItsMattUK

Currently on 1M17. We’ve been shunted into platform 12 at Crewe with no update on when we will move forward at present.

Saint66

Thameslink services severely disrupted by the flooding at Belsize Tunnel. Lots of cancellations and plenty of delay for those trains still getting through.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Paddington’s roof not working well.
Loads of disruption on Underground too.

Paddington had a few platforms closed earlier and a reasonable amount of disruption in the end.

Last edited:

ItsMattUK

They’ve just said there’s a line side electrical fire near Camden which is further delaying us. We’ve been sitting here for 30mins now. The London Northwestern Train on platform 11 opposite is now a good hour late.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Paddington had a few platforms closed earlier and a reasonable amount of disruption in the end.

I was at Harrow this afternoon and it was bone dry. It started raining at about Kilburn and was torrential at Baker St and Paddington. As you say some of the platforms at Padd were out of use but they seem to have reopened now.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
West London Line closed.
Nothing moving at Richmond.
Slow lines closed at Belsize tunnel (MML).
Various lines with temporary speed restrictions on due to earthworks risk.

Heck, for me it was bone dry at Liverpool Street, torrential rail 10 minutes later at Tottenham Court Road!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I was at Harrow this afternoon and it was bone dry. It started raining at about Kilburn and was torrential at Baker St and Paddington. As you say some of the platforms at Padd were out of use but they seem to have reopened now.

Was absolutely torrential for me but others just a few miles away said it was fine. Seems like its swept in an arc from SW London / Richmond around Ealing / Harrow towards Camden.

Here's NR Wessex tweeting about it: https://twitter.com/NetworkRailWssx/status/1414644935312257028

Status
Not open for further replies.