• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying From Edinburgh Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

In October last year I asked for advice on how to get from Waverley to Edinburgh Airport. This has been resolved as we are driving. However I have a couple of questions about the airport itself. We have booked a space in the Multi Storey car park but would like to know is it easy to get to the check in desks from there as we will have hold baggage to check in. Secondly we will be flying with Loganair. As I understand it they tend to fly from certain gates. Is it worth asking for assistance as my wife has mobility issues?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
If yourself or your wife needs any form of assistance then I would suggest booking it.

Typically this will be assistance right to the aircraft and being met at the destination.

Butts

Veteran Member
In October last year I asked for advice on how to get from Waverley to Edinburgh Airport. This has been resolved as we are driving. However I have a couple of questions about the airport itself. We have booked a space in the Multi Storey car park but would like to know is it easy to get to the check in desks from there as we will have hold baggage to check in. Secondly we will be flying with Loganair. As I understand it they tend to fly from certain gates. Is it worth asking for assistance as my wife has mobility issues?

The Multi-Storey Car Park is right opposite The Terminal.

There are lifts to all floors and once outside it is only a few yards to the entrance where you will find the check in desks on the ground floor.

As for the Gates with Assistance it does not take long to get to any departure point and it is all level - it's not cavernous like Heathrow or Gatwick.

Journeyman

Established Member
The Multi-Storey Car Park is right opposite The Terminal.

There are lifts to all floors and once outside it is only a few yards to the entrance where you will find the check in desks on the ground floor.

As for the Gates with Assistance it does not take long to get to any departure point and it is all level - it's not cavernous like Heathrow or Gatwick.
Yeah, there's plenty of lifts, and everything is on the flat. Some gates are a bit distant from the part of the departure area security spills you out into, but as airports go, it's pretty compact.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Two Wetherspoons to cover.

One before security and the other thereafter!

pitdiver

Thanks guys, I hoped it wasn't a too far a walk from the car park to the check in desks. Got a feeling the gate we will depart from will be the one furthest away. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though as we will have checked in our cases.

Elwyn

It takes about 5 or 6 minutes to walk from security to the furthest gates. If your flight departs from something like gates 19 to 26, in the outbound direction there are a couple of travelators which help (when they are working) but on the return you have no choice but to walk it all (or get assistance) as there are no travelators in the reverse direction.

vinnym70

I seem to remember some of the higher-numbered gates at Edinburgh are located to the far end of the terminal but also require a further walk outside to get to the gate - and that means there won't be an airbridge.
I know there's been a lot of redevelopment at Edinburgh recently so some of those gates may be better served now but I'd agree with the earlier post to book assistance if you think you may need it - just to be on the safe side.

vinnym70

There is 0 chance that a LoganAir flight will have an air bridge. It will be steps and a walk most likely.
That would be my expectation too given the aircraft they fly. So... reasonably long walk through the terminal - travelators if they're working - steps down (I suspect there's a lift somewhere?), a walk outside, then steps up to the aircraft.

It's a bit of a shame the redevelopment work hasn't managed to fit travelators in both directions (or at least it hadn't in Sept 2020)

pitdiver

Thanks again guys. The assistance is for Mrs PD as she is still recovering from a knee replacement operation. I will wait until nearer the day to request assistance. I realise Loganair wont have an air bridge. It will be the distance that may be the problem

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Flying from Edinburgh to Belfast on Saturday this time via LHR not LCY.

Quite surprised it's an Embraer to Heathrow not an Airbus - they are popping up everywhere just lately.

Doom and Gloom EDI Lounge not reopened yet and Belfast Aspire not allowing BA passengers in as the tightwads won't pay to let us use their former Lounge !!

Will have to hope I pick up a "carry out" in the form of a couple of Miniature Glenlivets on each flight to compensate.

Heathrow at least is open.

BA ought to be handing out vouchers to use in Edinburgh and Belfast (if you can find anywhere open to spend them) to compensate. :E

hotelmode

Flying from Edinburgh to Belfast on Saturday this time via LHR not LCY.

Quite surprised it's an Embraer to Heathrow not an Airbus - they are popping up everywhere just lately.

Doom and Gloom EDI Lounge not reopened yet and Belfast Aspire not allowing BA passengers in as the tightwads won't pay to let us use their former Lounge !!

Will have to hope I pick up a "carry out" in the form of a couple of Miniature Glenlivets on each flight to compensate.

Heathrow at least is open.

BA ought to be handing out vouchers to use in Edinburgh and Belfast (if you can find anywhere open to spend them) to compensate. :E

There are no BA Embraers operating out of Heathrow.

Butts

Veteran Member
There are no BA Embraers operating out of Heathrow.

That's a shame.

BA1439 0830 EDI-LHR Saturday 3rd July.

What sort of Aircraft is it then as it is showing two abreast in Club for the purposes of seat selection ( no middle blanked out) ?

XAM2175

Established Member
BA1439 0830 EDI-LHR Saturday 3rd July.

What sort of Aircraft is it then as it is showing two abreast in Club for the purposes of seat selection ( no middle blanked out) ?
It's booked for an A319. Every instance of the flight back to 3 April has been an A319, A320, or A320N.

Titfield

Established Member
Flown from EDI a few times pre covid. My experience was that the time getting through the security check was a bit laborious partly because of having to take off shoes, belts, separate out all metals, laptop etc etc and wait for all the stuff to go through the machine to be scanned and checked. It seemed to take a lot longer than at Southampton where I was flying to.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Flown from EDI a few times pre covid. My experience was that the time getting through the security check was a bit laborious partly because of having to take off shoes, belts, separate out all metals, laptop etc etc and wait for all the stuff to go through the machine to be scanned and checked. It seemed to take a lot longer than at Southampton where I was flying to.

Isn't that exactly the same for all UK airports? The process is standardised.

Though UK airports don't ask everyone for shoes as standard unless they've got metal reinforcement/steel toe caps and so alarm the metal detector, and I don't recall ever having had to take mine off at EDI - I guess yours are boots or similar which they do tend to be interested in?

Elwyn

I have flown out of Edinburgh twice in the past 3 weeks. The airport is very quiet with only a fraction of the usual number of flights. There were no noticeable delays at security. Many of the airside shops are still closed but Spoons and some of the coffee places are open.

Butts

Veteran Member
I have flown out of Edinburgh twice in the past 3 weeks. The airport is very quiet with only a fraction of the usual number of flights. There were no noticeable delays at security. Many of the airside shops are still closed but Spoons and some of the coffee places are open.

Yes, I can concur on that having been myself a few times recently.

The queue for security was minimal particularly with Fastrack - hardly worth having it !!

It's booked for an A319. Every instance of the flight back to 3 April has been an A319, A320, or A320N.

Is an Airbus A319 two abreast then ?

I thought they were all 3 either side.

Butts

Veteran Member
Maybe they've just changed the way they present it.

You are correct it was an Airbus 319 with three abreast.

This 0830 departure this morning from Edinburgh to Heathrow is the busiest flight (even in CE) I have been on during the pandemic.

Somewhat ameliorated by 4 Miniature Malts on the way down ( 2 to go before anyone starts).

Writing this in the North Galleries Lounge awaiting my flight to Belfast and necking a Double Singleton 15 Year Old.

I prefer Embraers to the Airbus and the London City route to Belfast rather than LHR.

bluenoxid

Established Member
You had one of the ones in the retro livery from the looks of it between Edinburgh and Heathrow.

Aictos

Established Member
Though UK airports don't ask everyone for shoes as standard unless they've got metal reinforcement/steel toe caps and so alarm the metal detector, and I don't recall ever having had to take mine off at EDI - I guess yours are boots or similar which they do tend to be interested in?

I disagree as I've found the complete opposite to happen at all airports both in Europe and in the UK who have a common policy that regardless of being shoes or boots that they MUST go though the x-ray machine.

So it's slightly misleading to claim that UK airports don't ask for passengers to take off their footwear.

pitdiver

I disagree as I've found the complete opposite to happen at all airports both in Europe and in the UK who have a common policy that regardless of being shoes or boots that they MUST go though the x-ray machine.

So it's slightly misleading to claim that UK airports don't ask for passengers to take off their footwear.
When we flew up to Kirkwall from Edinburgh I was asked to remove my shoes at EDI but on the return leg KOI-EDI it was not required to remove one's shoes.

Aictos

Established Member
When we flew up to Kirkwall from Edinburgh I was asked to remove my shoes at EDI but on the return leg KOI-EDI it was not required to remove one's shoes.
Every flight I've been on both within EU or UK the airport has always asked everyone so not just me to remove their shoes, Kirkwall is just a tiny airstrip in the Orkneys so security there won't be as strict as other bigger airports.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Every flight I've been on both within EU or UK the airport has always asked everyone so not just me to remove their shoes, Kirkwall is just a tiny airstrip in the Orkneys so security there won't be as strict as other bigger airports.
You generally don’t need to remove shoes in the UK unless they have a heel or have a large sole, or some sort of metal like a toecap.

Status
Not open for further replies.