• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman @ KGX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyR

After much searching I've managed to find out the Flying Scotsman will be leaving KGX at 07:30 on 25 Feb. but I can't find any more details or information. Can anyone shed any light on what's happening and will it be accessible for viewing at the station and/or on departure?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altfish

After much searching I've managed to find out the Flying Scotsman will be leaving KGX at 07:30 on 25 Feb. but I can't find any more details or information. Can anyone shed any light on what's happening and will it be accessible for viewing at the station and/or on departure?

There is a bit here...

http://www.steamdreams.co.uk/executables/GT410WebContent.exe?ActionCode=FlyScotIR

...but as for access at Kings Cross, I reckon for 'safety' reasons it'll be heavily restricted

marcouk2

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
DBS are the TOC for this trip so hopefully no potential at all. :)

The ORR must be OK with WCRC using 60103 anyway given yesterday's Cumbrian Mountain Express went ahead fine.

My information was that this was WCR operated?
As I said, the consultation period has only just closed.....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think repeatedly calling him Farmer Smith is not helping matters there...

Some would suggest that he has not helped himself ;)

marcouk2

My information was that this was WCR operated?

I was going off UkSteam which it as DBS but looking at the NRM site, bookings are being taken through Steam Dreams which would imply WCRC so looks like your info is correct.

Established Member

Yeh I wouldn't be surprised if there is some restriction at KGX, video's I have seen yesterday at Carlisle it looked a bit mental in terms of numbers on the station, I was waiting for it at Ribbleshead yesterday and despite the miserable weather and it running 40mins late and nearly dark I don't think I have ever seen as many cars at Ribbleshead as yesterday, and its clear many weren't your usual Rail Enthusiasts.

ARoo21

Try Finsbury Park if restricted access at KGX?

musicman

Can someone point me to where I can find out the schedule for the inaugural run. Presumably, Flying Scotsman needs to pick up water somewhere? I am based near Newark, so wanted to avoid standing trackside all morning awaiting the passing by!
Thanks
Philip

sng7

For steam moves in general UKsteam.info and Real Time Trains usually have precise times a couple of days before the trip

Southwest

Try Finsbury Park if restricted access at KGX?

I reckon every station north of Kings X is going to be heaving with people. Find a nice spot in the country to watch it go by. Me, I'm planning to be standing in a common well away from the thronging masses.

robbeech

Established Member
I'm down in a hotel just across from KGX on Wednesday night (by chance) after getting the sleeper from Aberdeen on Tuesday night. I plan to get up to try and see it at KGX but I'm concerned there be be restricted access. It seems when I thought I was in the ideal place, now I think about it I might have been better at home as a quick drive to Retford would be better. Alas, work calls that morning and my train home (via Retford) is the 1308.
Who knows I may be lucky. I did see it the other day in York anyway.

rangersql

I'm hoping to see it pass through Doncaster, but am beginning to suspect that they will not publish detailed timings 'cos they don't want crowds of people on the platforms! My current strategy is to be on the Station from 1100 hrs, with a valid travel document!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I'm hoping to see it pass through Doncaster, but am beginning to suspect that they will not publish detailed timings 'cos they don't want crowds of people on the platforms! My current strategy is to be on the Station from 1100 hrs, with a valid travel document!

It might not appear on RTT trains until the day after for the same reason

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
"Hint!"

Have a look at Tornado's KX to York timings last autumn - 07.25 dep

If 60103 is ten minutes adrift on those intermediate times with an 07.30 path I would be very surprised.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
"Hint!"

Have a look at Tornado's KX to York timings last autumn - 07.25 dep

If 60103 is ten minutes adrift on those intermediate times with an 07.30 path I would be very surprised.

According to http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/events/inaugural-run/ the departure is 07.40.

The outward journey from London Kings Cross leaves at 7:40am on 25 February 2016, arriving at York at approximately 12:30pm, giving you plenty of time to enjoy the opening day of our Scotsman Season.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
What ever happens with this run I do hope everyone behaves themselves and does not put future steam trips at risk by risking their and others lives.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is Tuesday's positioning move from York ( which at least is in RTT ) going to be piloted or will Scotsman be doing the work on it?

I am assuming that the later local movement on Tuesday evening is to turn the train so that Scotsman will be facing north again for Thursday?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Is Tuesday's positioning move from York ( which at least is in RTT ) going to be piloted or will Scotsman be doing the work on it?

I am assuming that the later local movement on Tuesday evening is to turn the train so that Scotsman will be facing north again for Thursday?

Assuming you mean this, I would assume its being towed down

Status
Not open for further replies.