• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman @ KGX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes agreed Greenback, the media could and should of done a lot more... but to be honest a lot of these idiots would of done the same thing anyway, they just don't think of the consequences of their actions. <D

It won;t stop it completely, but I think it will help.

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of the trespassers will not have been true enthusiasts but general members of the public who have seen the media reports of the run, including in their local papers, and who then wander down to their nearest bit of line and do what they want to get a good view. They probably otherwise never go near a railway let alone travel by train.

I agree, and I'm convinced that without media reports they wouldn't know what was happening, hence the media has a responsibility here.

NR do need to be proactive about safety, and this was an ideal opportunity to latch on the track safety issues to the huge publicity this run has received.

Agreed.

Just seen a video of the trespassers.

Nobody would dream of just casually sauntering onto a motorway which while dangerous lacks some of the hazards of the railway!

Oh, I don't know. Some of the beauts in these parts think nothing of taking a stroll across the M4 if it suits them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the-gog

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of the trespassers will not have been true enthusiasts but general members of the public who have seen the media reports of the run, including in their local papers, and who then wander down to their nearest bit of line and do what they want to get a good view. They probably otherwise never go near a railway let alone travel by train.

I hope and believe that true steam enthusiasts would never venture onto the line in the way that apparently has been happening, as the 'fraternity' is very strict with its policy on the issue.

Some of the trespassing snappers this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20160225_112845.jpg
    IMG_20160225_112845.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20160225_112848.jpg
    IMG_20160225_112848.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20160225_112850.jpg
    IMG_20160225_112850.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 236

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think it matters whether they are spotters, enthusiasts or anything else, they seem to be convinced that they are not in any danger and don't realise what a terrible example they are setting to anyone who sees them and decides to follow suit.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Sadly there are plenty of enthusiasts with a total lack of common sense, and some who simply don't give a flying f*** about safety.

I suspect, too, that some people tend to think they are more immune from challenge/penalty in rural locations than urban ones. As you (almost) say, some just don't give a 'Flying...Scotsman'!

tbtc

Veteran Member
I do think that the media could do more. They need to point out the dangers and the consequences of going beyond the fences when they cover any story connected with steam engines.

Yes agreed Greenback, the media could and should of done a lot more... but to be honest a lot of these idiots would of done the same thing anyway, they just don't think of the consequences of their actions. <D

I don't think we can blame the media here - these are grown men who are putting themselves and others in danger with nobody else to blame.

Can't blame the TOCs or Network Rail for not wanting more troublesome services like today - much as I'd love to see a place for steam on main lines, this is a massive own-goal from enthusiasts.

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of the trespassers will not have been true enthusiasts but general members of the public who have seen the media reports of the run, including in their local papers, and who then wander down to their nearest bit of line and do what they want to get a good view. They probably otherwise never go near a railway let alone travel by train

I appreciate that a lot of enthusiasts will want to believe what you are saying, it'd be nice if we could pin the blame on "someone else", but looking at the size of cameras that some of these "enthusiasts" are wearing round their neck makes me conclude that they know exactly what they are doing.

99% of members of the public wouldn't be stupid enough to stand on a railway line - if they were then we'd have to fence off platforms at all stations.

The fact that is that this isn't the first time enthusiasts have climbed on the tracks to get pictures - it seems to be happening more and more - the difference is that this time it's getting media attention because it's Flying Scotsman. We can't pretend that these people aren't enthusiasts <(

Knowing the way that the media works, we may see the next numpties trespassing on a different route getting press attention (now that they can tag it onto the story about Flying Scotsman) - in the way that every SPAD seems to get reported in the month or two after a railway accident.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
All these people irresponsibly trespassing over the line in the totally futile quest for the 'perfect' photo. From the photos, they're the usual middle-aged railway enthusiast of the 'I know everything about railways [sic], so I'm OK to do as I please' mentality.

Meanwhile, this morning I stood on the safety of the Down platform of Hornsey station and got the most beautiful photo I could ask for of her passing on Down Slow 2 with nothing more than my phone camera; her splendid fresh paintwork glistening in the sunrise over Hornsey depot...

Last edited:

Strat-tastic

Established Member
The BBC says she is going to the NRM. After spending £4.2M on getting her up and running, am I right in thinking that she's just on display at the museum while not doing tours?

Dryce

I appreciate that a lot of enthusiasts will want to believe what you are saying, it'd be nice if we could pin the blame on "someone else", but looking at the size of cameras that some of these "enthusiasts" are wearing round their neck makes me conclude that they know exactly what they are doing.

The camera - size of or otherwise - doesn't mean the person carrying the equipment has ever photographed near the railway before.

The hype around this locomotive means that there will be plenty of people turning out with cameras who would normally go nowhere near the railway with their gear.

It just takes one or two to be seen trespassing and other non-regulars out with their gear will start to copy - either out of ignorance or the attitude that if others are doing it well ? why shouldn't they ? Human nature :roll:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think we can blame the media here - these are grown men who are putting themselves and others in danger with nobody else to blame.

I'm not blaming the media. I'm saying that they could try and help the situation., which is different. The people to blame are those who trespassing, pure and simple. What I'm saying is that perhaps if the dangers were more frequently and widely publicised, there may be fewer people who see this happening and think it's OK.

For what little it's worth my own personal view is that these people are what we would call rail or steam enthusiasts. They are convinced that whatever knowledge they have of railways is sufficient to keep them safe. I believe they are mistaken in that, but far worse is the effect that such behaviour might have on others who see it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The hype around this locomotive means that there will be plenty of people turning out with cameras who would normally go nowhere near the railway with their gear.

I agree, and I would simply like to see all sections of the media act a little more responsibly when covering the stories.

D1009

Established Member
The one in the right-hand shot doesn't look as if his view is any better than it would have been behind the fence! BTW, is it the low res. shot or has the fence wire been cut?
The problem tends to be that one idiot climbs over the fence, everyone else thinks its OK, and then there are so many people in front of the fence that you can't get a photograph from behind it.

sprinterguy

Established Member
From elsewhere: "Delayed again north of Doncaster due to another trespass."
Yeah, train stopped at Heck due to more trespassers up ahead (although the BBC story suggests these reports were unfounded). :roll: The train went forward initially at 20mph, which isn't much of a spectacle for anybody waiting by the lineside: I don't know what these photographers, enthusiasts or otherwise, think that they're achieving by going trackside. It just spoils it for the majority.

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
BBC Three Counties Radio reported that the incident took place just south of St Neots.
I'm informed all lines were blocked after people were seen running off the end of the platform at St Neots. Given that St Neots station comprises 2 island platforms between the slow and fast lines in each direction with the normal speed of passing trains on the fast lines of 125 mph, this does seem to be taking stupidity to a whole new level.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know what these photographers, enthusiasts or otherwise, think that they're achieving by going trackside. It just spoils it for the majority.

I don't think there's much more to it than that. Selfish idiots who think they know more than they do have a habit of spoiling things for everyone else due to their mindless, thoughtless actions.

455driver

Veteran Member
So you're saying because a lot of numpty enthusiasts cause disruption all steam should be banned, that's rather an over reaction to say the least.
It's not steam that's the problem it's simply idiots, they should be dealt with very firmly rather than depriving loads of people with the pleasure of seeing a "real" engine rather than the bland traction which is the modern scene.

Banning steam would cure the problem though wouldnt it!

I like to see a big steamer working hard at speed as much as the next enthusiast but these idiots will cause a steam ban, NR simply wont stand for the amount of problems, delays, costs involved with allowing these things on the mainline.

Abuse NRs hospitality and it will end badly for us enthusiasts!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think that a the term 'abuse NR's hospitality' is an excellent way of viewing it. If you go into someone's home and don't respect their rules, you can't be expecting to be invited back.

bnm

Established Member
Prosecute each and every one to the full extent that law will allow. Publicise those prosecutions and sentences.

Don't ban steam on the national network because of the actions of a few muppets. The vast majority of those out to see Flying Scotsman today are doing so legally.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
What is the likelihood of the trespassers getting done?

As it happens, I viewed it from just outside the station in the company of seven coppers who allowed my dad to park his van in between their cars - most protected vehicle in all the UK! Just as the engine came up, I aimed my camera and the sun started to shine very brightly and overloaded the lens so all I got was a green blob

Mind you, the day wasn't entirely wasted...

Attachments

• IMG_20160225_120131[1].jpg
    IMG_20160225_120131[1].jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 184

SPADTrap

Established Member
The problem tends to be that one idiot climbs over the fence, everyone else thinks its OK, and then there are so many people in front of the fence that you can't get a photograph from behind it.

The British way!

jon0844

Veteran Member
The camera - size of or otherwise - doesn't mean the person carrying the equipment has ever photographed near the railway before.

It just takes one or two to be seen trespassing and other non-regulars out with their gear will start to copy - either out of ignorance or the attitude that if others are doing it well ? why shouldn't they ? Human nature :roll:

Going by the photos and videos on various local Facebook groups for Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City, anyone would think every resident went out to get a photo and video.

I do think that an awful lot of people went to get a photo that doesn't generally go out taking photos of trains normally. No excuse obviously, but there might be a lot of amateur photographers who are not spotters and just loose enthusiasts.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Incidentally, an unusual aspect of this run is that RTT lists the traction on the timing sheet as "The Flying Scotsman", when all other main line steam runs that I have seen on the site are referred to as "Diesel locomotive trailing load 455 tonnes".

Last edited:

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
Incidentally, an unusual aspect of this run is that RTT lists the traction on the timing sheet as "The Flying Scotsman", when all other main line steam runs that I have seen on the site are referred to as "Diesel locomotive trailing load 455 tonnes".

That was changed manually by Tom, according to his Twitter feed - seemingly at the request of Geoff Marshall / geofftech.

https://twitter.com/swlines/status/702422689340911616

96tommy

I was on a FHT going southbound and passed it between Stoke Jn and Peterborough. Have to say, the number of people on the 'wrong' side of the barrier were unbelievable. Quite a lot were in touching distance of the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.