• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman Olympic torch relay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
flying scotsman=massive balls up.

Thats all its been like this for ages. My dad made a good comment earlier, put it in a museum and build a new one for cheaper!

ryan125hst

Established Member
flying scotsman=massive balls up.

Thats all its been like this for ages. My dad made a good comment earlier, put it in a museum and build a new one for cheaper!

I have to say, I'm starting to agree. It's unlike me and I would love to see it on the ECML again (I live in Retford and vaguely remember seeing it years ago). But it's cost a lot of money and taken 6 years or more to get this far. It is getting to a stage where it would have been cheaper to build a replica and put the original next to the Mallard as a static exhibit. I know it wouldn't be the same, but you get the best of both worlds that way.

At least I have stood on the footplate. :D

Schnellzug

Established Member
I'm sure 60163 could stand in.
Would have been good if the NRM had decided to return Mallard to steam for 2012, don't you think; that would have been appropriate, and might have made the Olympics something to get almost excited about.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Apparently mallard will be steaming by 2038 due to it being 100 years since she broke record.. personally i dont think we will see it before 2300....

Dont scrap it that would be a serious mistake but... it would look great next to Mallard at NRM...
Two of the ECMLs finest engines at a museum on the ECML.

Status
Not open for further replies.