• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Flying Scotsman: Sounds from the Footplate" - BBC iPlayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
I've done a quick search but couldn't see anything about this program on the forum. Currently watching it on iPlayer after noticing it was on yesterday and it seems really good.
It shows a journey of 60103 along the Severn Valley Railway a few years ago from the footplate (with several exterior shots too) - it also has plenty of commentary from the driver and fireman (although not too much) showing what things do and why they're doing what they're doing. Certainly worth a watch if you've not seen it already as it feels less like a telly show about trains for the general public and more like a video produced by a heritage line for enthusiasts.
Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b087k5rf/flying-scotsman-sounds-from-the-footplate

-Peter

EDIT: A closer look at the link provided shows that version apparently has no commentary but this isn't the case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I watched this yesterday evening. It was wonderful to watch and very professionally edited with cameras mounted around the cab and outside the locomotive including aerial shots, all in continuous ‘real-time’. The viewer gets a real sense of being on the footplate whilst learning about the controls and firing. I can’t recommend it highly enough and hats off to the SVR driver and young fireman on what was probably the highlight of their footplate careers and carried out with utter professionalism.

Also worthy of note is that there is no background music, repeated footage, ‘what’s coming next’, no adverts or nauseating commentary. It’s just honest to goodness documentary filming, nothing more, nothing less. I’d love to see the production company doing exactly the same on other locomotives and they don’t have to be celebrity locos. A Terrier, Jinty or a GWR pannier would be just as pleasurable to watch.

Peter C

Established Member
I watched this yesterday evening. It was wonderful to watch and very professionally edited with cameras mounted around the cab and outside the locomotive including aerial shots, all in continuous ‘real-time’. The viewer gets a real sense of being on the footplate whilst learning about the controls and firing. I can’t recommend it highly enough and hats off to the SVR driver and young fireman on what was probably the highlight of their footplate careers and carried out with utter professionalism.
It is absolutely amazing isn't it? Made even better by having watched the NRM's latest video on Mallard earlier today so I had an idea of what an LNER engine's cab looked like and what the bits did!

Thanks. I've downloaded it
You're very welcome. :)

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.