• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When the Flying Scotsman does it's tour round the country later in the year is it due to be mainline (NR metals) only, preserved/heritage railways only or both?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
The programme for the locomotive in the upcoming weeks and months can be seen here:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/142...__when_to_see_her__on_Thursday_and_beyond___/
February 26 to March 1

The newly restored locomotive will be on public display in the NRM’s North Yard for the first time.

February 27 to 28

There will be exclusive opportunities to photograph Flying Scotsman up close. There are daily sessions from 8am to 10am and 6.30pm to 8.30pm, when the locomotive will be displayed in light steam. Sessions are £25 for the mornings and £35 for the evenings.

March 2

A second chance to see the great locomotive being cleaned in the North Yard, this time ahead of its move into the NRM proper for its Great Hall display.

March 3 to 6

Flying Scotsman takes pole position on the NRM’s turntable in the Great Hall.

March 12 to September 25

Flying Scotsman will go on its travels again, hauling special tours on railway lines across the UK. Many of these are sold out but others are not. For more details or to book, visit flyingscotsman.org.uk/events/scotsman-on-the-tracks

•March 12-20: North Yorkshire Moors Railway
•May 10: London King’s Cross to Newcastle (sold out)
•May 14-17: Flying Scotsman to Edinburgh
•May 15: The Borders Scotsman
•May 15: Fife evening circular
•May 19: York to King's Cross (sold out)
•June 4: The Yorkshireman (sold out)
•June 5-8: Cambrian Coast Express
•June 18: The White Rose — Kings Cross to York and return (sold out)
•June 25: The Yorkshireman (sold out)
•July 2: The Hadrian
•July 10 and 17, August 7, 14 and 21 and September 4 and 11: The Waverley (all sold out)
•September 22-25: Severn Valley Railway

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
:( No really viable day trips from the south of England. Just flicking through UKsteam website, quite a few of the Scotsman ones have listed WCRC hopefully it'll all be sorted quickly

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
:( No really viable day trips from the south of England. Just flicking through UKsteam website, quite a few of the Scotsman ones have listed WCRC hopefully it'll all be sorted quickly

There are a number of Scotsman trips around the south of England, I think mainly all by Steam Dreams, however, I suspect that they may all be fully booked now which is no doubt why they don't seem to be on SD website anymore, I think UK Steam shows them though.

I am booked on one all being well on 01 June.

I was also going to go to York and book one of RTCs Waverleys with Scotsman later in the year, but I think they are all booked now too, so I shall have to wait until she comes down south again.

I did see her about 15 years ago when I was waiting for a Train at Salisbury Railway Station, she had just arrived with a VSOE day excursion and was shunting through, I presume to be turned on te triangle near by. She made a fine sight. I was surprised and pleased to see her, as were, I think the tourists at the Station.

She looked good from the Clips I saw on TV yesterday. (A shame there were delays caused by trespass incidents.)

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
There are a number of Scotsman trips around the south of England, I think mainly all by Steam Dreams, however, I suspect that they may all be fully booked now which is no doubt why they don't seem to be on SD website anymore, I think UK Steam shows them though.
You're right, there's more trips listed on the official Flying Scotsman site:
http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/events/scotsman-on-the-tracks/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I did see her about 15 years ago when I was waiting for a Train at Salisbury Railway Station, she had just arrived with a VSOE day excursion and was shunting through, I presume to be turned on te triangle near by. She made a fine sight. I was surprised and pleased to see her, as were, I think the tourists at the Station.
The first time I saw the loco I happened upon it completely by chance about fourteen years ago, one drizzly afternoon in Newcastle. Funnily enough there was hardly anyone around to see it that day, in stark contrast to the eager scrum witnessed all along the route yesterday.

Last edited:

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
And every one of these is listed as a WCRC duty.

Will they run, be transferred to DB, or be cancelled outright?

Who knows - but it needs to be sorted out and the paying customers told as soon as possible

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm quite confident that the NRM and Steam Dreams will be having urgent negotiations with DB Schenker: I wouldn't expect such a high profile programme of tours to be cancelled.

D1009

Established Member
I'm quite confident that the NRM and Steam Dreams will be having urgent negotiations with DB Schenker: I wouldn't expect such a high profile programme of tours to be cancelled.
It'll be down to whether DB have the resources to run them, they have a freight business to run, unlike WCRC.

midlandred

For 1 June, it is shown on Steam Dreams site as SOLD OUT
It's supposed to run Chiltern Line-Bicester-Thames Valley - but the line isn't complete!
It has disappeared from various rail tour listings, as have other Flying Scotsman outings

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
For 1 June, it is shown on Steam Dreams site as SOLD OUT
It's supposed to run Chiltern Line-Bicester-Thames Valley - but the line isn't complete!

I did mention that fact to Steam Dreams who said that it may go on an alternative route elsewhere if that link is not available at the time of the tour.

Whilst I hope the original routing can be done, a Kent Circular along the the white cliffs could be good, although I think there are problems between Folkestone and Dover?

168lover

I did mention that fact to Steam Dreams who said that it may go on an alternative route elsewhere if that link is not available at the time of the tour.

Whilst I hope the original routing can be done, a Kent Circular along the the white cliffs could be good, although I think there are problems between Folkestone and Dover?

How about a Victoria-Victoria via The Chiltern Mainline, Risborough-Aylesbury Line and Met Line?

Spamcan81

A trip to the Bluebell on the cards?

There's a long queue of heritage lines wanting a visit from 4472/60103 apparently. NYMR and SVR have got in first for 2016 so the rest will just have to be patient. I'll be surprised if she goes anywhere on a low loader - I stand to be proved wrong of course - so that would limit her to rail connected sites and then comes the issues of gauging, axle loading etc.

headshot119

Established Member
There's a long queue of heritage lines wanting a visit from 4472/60103 apparently. NYMR and SVR have got in first for 2016 so the rest will just have to be patient. I'll be surprised if she goes anywhere on a low loader - I stand to be proved wrong of course - so that would limit her to rail connected sites and then comes the issues of gauging, axle loading etc.

It's been on a low loader plenty of times before to get to none rail connected heritage railways. As have many other big names such as Tornado.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

I would imagine that list would be virtually the same as a list of every heritage line in the country, apart from ones like the Isle of Wight steam railway fow whom a loco like the Scotsman would be too big and/or heavy

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Why? It hasn't stopped other locomotives visiting non main line connected heritage railways.

It's been on a low loader plenty of times before to get to none rail connected heritage railways. As have many other big names such as Torando.

I am sure i read somewhere that Flying Scotsman will only be considered for trips to main line connected heritage railways. It was suggested that movement by road wagon be prohibited as potentially damaging to the locomotive. I will see if i can find the link.......

PS NYMR trips sold out!

headshot119

Established Member
'Torando' is that a Spanish loco:roll:

I'm sure you know what I meant, though I've edited my original post to make you happy. <(

I am sure i read somewhere that Flying Scotsman will only be considered for trips to main line connected heritage railways. It was suggested that movement by road wagon be prohibited as potentially damaging to the locomotive. I will see if i can find the link.......

PS NYMR trips sold out!

There may well be a restriction on it in the short term, I'm sure it'll end up on some none connected lines at some point.

Last edited:

crispy1978

Does anyone know the itinerary of the Flying Scotsman getting from York Railway Museum to Pickering? Looked on RTT but can't see it on there yet.

Edit - guessing this is it to Grosmont?

Last edited:

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
£4.5m and ten years to overhaul, and only two weeks on and people are suggesting 60103 being low loaded around the country!

How short are some people's memories?

Flying Scotsman in a field at some Marchington show or other year after year, and then the discovery of cracked frames come her rebuild - and you expect the NRM to go there again!

I don't

DasLunatic

Hardly a nationwide tour is it - it goes nowhere near the GEML and it doesn't seem to do much in Kent, either. Rather disappointed, because a railtour there could sell quite well.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Hardly a nationwide tour is it - it goes nowhere near the GEML and it doesn't seem to do much in Kent, either. Rather disappointed, because a railtour there could sell quite well.

It also misses the SWML and the South West. If all them runs were plotted on a map it probably misses out half the country

doningtonphil

I understand FS won't be in service on Monday 14th March at NYMR. Might possibly be not on duty on Friday 18th too.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
£4.5m and ten years to overhaul, and only two weeks on and people are suggesting 60103 being low loaded around the country!

How short are some people's memories?

Flying Scotsman in a field at some Marchington show or other year after year, and then the discovery of cracked frames come her rebuild - and you expect the NRM to go there again!

I don't

neither do I!

Status
Not open for further replies.