• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesjordans

Who here flys planes? i have flown 11 planes? i think since i was 9 years old (10 when i got my first landing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Angus

I'm currently learning to fly in a Cessna 150/152s from Sheffield City airport. I've only had 3 lessons so far though because of GCSEs at the moment. You can always tell one of my landings because of the hole in the runway. :lol: Only joking of course.

Jim

Established Member
Lesjordans said:
Who here flys planes? i have flown 11 planes? i think since i was 9 years old (10 when i got my first landing)

Is that MSFS ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Quick question Angus - How old do you have to be and how much does it cost? :)

I've mainly flown to Lanzarote, Alicante, Mallorca, Manchester and Nottingham EMA. I've flown on B752, A300 and A320 (IIRC). Something like 14 times. :)

Angus

Chaz said:
Quick question Angus - How old do you have to be and how much does it cost? :)

I've mainly flown to Lanzarote, Alicante, Mallorca, Manchester and Nottingham EMA. I've flown on B752, A300 and A320 (IIRC). Something like 14 times. :)

There is no age requirement. However, the really bad news is cost. You're looking at several thousand pounds just for a private pilot's licence. Lessons are around £100 for an hour, and you need 45 hours in your logbook to apply for the PPL (plus written and practical examinations, which you also have to pay for). This is all just for the PPL, many more hours and exams needed for IMC licence, then commercial licences if you want to become more than just a private pilot flying for fun.

Guinness

Established Member
Good News about Age - Bad News about the price. :(

All well back to FS9 and my Fokker 70/100 for me! :lol:

Ben

Angus said:
Well Lesjordans is correct - in this country at least, there is no age limit on when you can have flying lessons.

does that mean a 6 year old could fly a plane?

Angus

TPE said:
Angus said:
Well Lesjordans is correct - in this country at least, there is no age limit on when you can have flying lessons.

does that mean a 6 year old could fly a plane?

Presumably - although the instructor could refuse to teach a 6 year old if he felt that the hand-eye coordination, reflexes, concentration and clear-thinking skills weren't yet fully developed, plus the obvious physical problems such as height, reaching the rudder pedals, etc. So in practice it's unlikely, but in theory, yes, there's no law against it. If a 6 year old was sufficiently developed physically and mentally then there's no reason why not. It should be noted however that although lessons are allowed at any age, licenses are not distributed by the CAA to anyone under 17. For instance, if I complete my 45 hours of flight time and pass the exams before I'm 17, the CAA will wait until my 17th birthday until the licence is sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.