• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FMRail Merrymakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eos

Yep Torquay and Paignton Tuesday 12 September ..
Sheffield 07.30
Chesterfield 07.45
Derby 08.10
Burton on trent 08.20
Tamworth 08.30
Torquay 11.50
Paignton 12.00

Return Paignton 17.45
Sheffield 22.30

Standard tickets £29.50 First £44.50 Junior £19.50.

All the joys of mark 3's and opening windows!!!!

Guinness

Established Member
A 56 was supposedly booked for a few services but it's failed at the moment due to a broken compressor. Til then your 47s will do!! ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Jamie said:
Be better if they used a Class 33 or 45.

It's probably TnT 47s because of there go anywhere route availability. 45s will need a test run in some areas.

RJ

Established Member
45112 is poisoned at the moment, and their 33s are utter piles of crap.

eos

Turn up on the day as well, if there are any places left..still the same price..

RJ

Established Member
I wouldn't hold my breath - anything under FM's care takes forever to get sorted - their 33s are heaps full stop, their 47s either have certain technical faults, or have to run in pairs because they're underpowered and their 31s aren't that powerful either. So if 56303 is broke, expect it back around Xmas ;)

theblackwatch

Established Member
I wouldn't hold your breath for a 56 on this train - I wuote from the FM Press Release issued when the ICM programme was announced:
"The InterCity Merrymaker stock will consist of Class 47 haulage (top & tail), load 11 or 12 (BSO / 8 or 9 x TSO / RFO / FO)."

Also, FM hasn't got a 56 which it can use - the one operational example is leased to another operator, I would think it unlikely that FM would hire it back!

metrocammel

37372 said:
Hmm that trip to Paignton doesn't sound too bad ;)
Maybe FM Rail could turn 56303 into something like this for a merrymaker!
http://fictitiousliveries.fotopic.net/p27471218.html

It is extremely unlikely a 56 will work an FM Merrymaker, for the simple fact, it can't supply ETS, so the air con will not work, along with lights etc, and mk2's with absolutely no air con on a hot day soon become ovens.

I can't see these Merrymakers taking off personally though, as, most are during the week, so unless you are unemployed or an old fogey, you will have to either skip school or take time off work, so that basically rules out families on the trains (bar the few weekend dates) For example the South West tour from Sheffield on Tues 12th, I was going to do it, until I realised the 12th was a Tuesday, my second day at sixth form, so that is a no no, and basically that is the same for I would imagine well over half the people on this forum.

Established Member
metrocammel said:
I can't see these Merrymakers taking off personally though, as, most are during the week

I agree, its a shame they are during the week. As at £30 they are great value. That said with decently timed London starts, i'm sure they will be filled by normals, plenty of retired/flexy working types.
Presumably it is easier/cheaper to get weekday paths?
Not just a Hertfordshire thing tho, was detonated to see Green Express's Aber tour in October is on a Wednesday-finished off plan A to do that.

One more thing, shame its spoons! Cromptons would be nice.....

eos

<quote>Presumably it is easier/cheaper to get weekday paths? </quote>

No , its staff availability. They are already employed at weekends, so they idea is to press the stock into service during the week, with staff that are 'already paid for' , so the cost of providing the train is low....
Sound economic sense.

Established Member
eos said:
No , its staff availability. They are already employed at weekends, so they idea is to press the stock into service during the week, with staff that are 'already paid for' , so the cost of providing the train is low....
Sound economic sense.

Ah right. Makes sense, thanks for pointing that out. Also means the stock can work "full ching" tours at weekends I suppose.

metrocammel

eos said:
Presumably it is easier/cheaper to get weekday paths?

Sound economic sense.

I dont know about FM, but I know lots of WCRC guards are part time, with normal (mostly railway) jobs in the week, for example the guy who was the guard on the BH Monday Green Express to EDB was a Northern Rail guard in the week, and then the guard who took the ecs back to Carnforth on the Monday night was a Northern Rail fitter, but I dont know if this is the same with FM. Also, regarding availability of staff, all the stewards for GE (non "Railtourer" GE) are voluntary, and are otherwise engaged during the week, like myself, however I dont know if any other tour company has voluntary stewards or not? So if this was the case for FM, it would be more feasable to run weekend tours, but sadly it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.