• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Folkestone - Croydon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern

Just wondering what routes are permitted when using an Off - Peak Day Return with YP, for £17.65. Southeastern's booking engine suggests these two:

Folkestone - Sevenoaks - Peckham Rye - West Croydon
Folkestone - Tonbridge - Norwood Junction - West Croydon

I know I could just use East Croydon but would prefer West as I'm likely to be closer on my return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This is a Route Not Via London fare.

I do not have the necessary tools with me to work out the shortest route.

As for mapped routes:
  • Ashford Intl is the only appropriate routeing point for Folkestone Stns for this journey.
  • Ashford Intl - Croydon Group has only one map combination: LONDON.
    • Ashford Intl - London Group is permitted on HS, LB+SD+LK, LK, LL, SL+LK or SL+LR.
    • London Group - Croydon Group is permitted on LB, LK, SL+SC.

Any route you can trace between Ashford Intl and Croydon by combining the aforementioned maps to and from London Group without doubling back or passing through a London Terminal is permitted, subject to easements.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just wondering what routes are permitted when using an Off - Peak Day Return with YP, for £17.65.
Any route provided by the journey planner should be valid (if in doubt, book online, and bring the itinerary with you).

NRCoC states through trains (none in this case) and the shortest route are always valid.

Also you can consult the Routeing Guide to determine mapped routes.

Mapped routes are available using Folkestone Central and Croydon Group as Routeing Points, as follows:-

Mapped Routes:
Ashford International - LONDON GROUP:

LONDON GROUP - CROYDON GROUP:

You must not travel by any station within London Group*, as your ticket is routed "NOT VIA LONDON".

If your ticket was routed "+ANY PERMITTED" then you could use any of the above routes, including cross-London interchange.

(* There is a case to say it should be London Terminals but that isn't really an issue as the only difference being Vauxhall is a member of London Terminals but not London Group, but that isn't going to cause a conflict here)

Last edited:

Oscar

Fares Advisor
So presumably the ticket is only valid on the shortest route, direct trains or any route permitted by the booking engines (as long as you take at least an itinerary, preferably reservations).

John @ home

Established Member
presumably the ticket is only valid on the shortest route, direct trains or any route permitted by the booking engines
No. There are also mapped routes available. For example, yorkie demonstrates above that one permitted combination is
Ashford International - LONDON GROUP:

LONDON GROUP - CROYDON GROUP:

This combination allows:
  • Folkestone Ctl - Ashford Intl
  • LK: Ashford Intl - Tonbridge - Sevenoaks - Bromley South Group - Beckenham Jn - Herne Hill
  • SL: Herne Hill - Tulse Hill
  • SL: Tulse Hill - Streatham Group - Tooting - Wimbledon
  • SL: Wimbledon - Motspur Park - Epsom - Cheam - Sutton - Waddon - West Croydon.
When using the routeing code LONDON, we are told "to cross reference routeing codes applicable "to London" with the code for the "from London" leg of the journey". But we are not told that an intersect point must be a station in London Group. In order to determine mapped routes, it is permissible, and in this example necessary, to choose other intercept point(s).

The route shown above is a Permitted Route for this journey but is unlikely to be offered by any booking engine because it would require more "via" points than are made available by any engine.

johnnycache

You could also travel via Tonbridge and Redhill which might be easier than fiddling around in south london!

Status
Not open for further replies.