• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Folkestone - Dorking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern

Thinking about heading out in about an hour or so, at £14 return the fare is quite cheap but I'm having some problems with the route. The easiest route would be straight to Tonbridge, Redhill and then Deepdene but connections are either tight or give a wait of over half an hour at Tonbridge, which I'd like to avoid if possible. Southeastern journey planner does give another route to Orpington, up to Herne Hill and back down to Sutton and Dorking for the £14 option. Is this valid?

Thanks
Southern

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Southeastern journey planner does give another route to Orpington, up to Herne Hill and back down to Sutton and Dorking for the £14 option. Is this valid?
If you buy the ticket online, you can print the page where it says "Valid on all services by the route and Train Operator shown" and this would apply for any tickets that you book on the that website. It is evidence of a contract, so there's no need to consult the Routeing Guide.

However if you wish to buy the ticket without forming such a contract, then you need to check the Routeing Guide, the same issues and processes apply to this journey as to your recent Croydon query, so you may find the Folkestone - Croydon thread of interest. The only difference is that London - Dorking is permitted by DK, LB+CS and SC, which is different to London - Croydon.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Folkestone Central to Dorking via Orpington and Herne Hill is always valid because it's less than 3 miles longer than the shortest route.

So you are fine going that way.

johnnycache

i guess you have made the journey by now.

Using webTIS if you select "amend search" and enter via Herne Hill and then "select a route" and tick "not via London" it will give you options via Orpington/Herne Hill/Mitcham Junction

The journey time (on a sunday) is 3 hours (xx36) or 3 hours 10 minutes (xx56)

The journey time via Tonbridge Redhill is 2 hours 35 minutes including 20+ minutes at Ashford and 30+ minutes at Tonbridge

I would be inclined to take the xx36 from Folkestone Central due Tonbridge xx38 and if its on time connect into the xx41 to Redhill (this would give a 1 hr 53 min journey) and if its not then stay on and do your alternative route via Orpington/Herne Hill/Mitcham Junction (although in fact its still quicker to wait at Tonbridge for the next train an hour later)

The return fare as you say is £14 with a railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.