• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Footage of driver stuck inside Level Crossing Barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

railnerd

Hi.

Ok, if say electrification is involved, if the fence was good enough in the first place, why isnt it now?

I must just say at this point, i am NOT trying to glamourise death on the railways in any sense whatsoever. It is a tragedy when anyone dies through accident or misadventure.

My main point is that if you go anywhere near a railway, it can be like a snail playing russian roulette on the M6.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

Established Member
Hi.
Im not reffering to the nanny state insisting that we need fencing everywhere.

How many trainspotters reading this have stood against a perfectly good 4ft fence against a railway or on a perfectly good low level bridge only to find next time they return, the fence is a 9ft palaside fence and the bridge is so high you cannot see over it!

The items havent been replaced because they aint no good anymore, its because some do-gooder has pointed out that they are easy target for trespass.

Thats my opinion anyway, anyone else can have theirs.

But that is not what you said, is it?
Read your original posting again and you will see I replied to your EXACT question.
And your second response implies that we should be setting a railway environment just for a few trainspotters, and not to protect the general public who often do not understand the dangers presented by the railway.
Perhaps you need to remove your blinkers and see the world in it's bigger picture.

najaB

Veteran Member
Ok, if say electrification is involved, if the fence was good enough in the first place, why isnt it now?
25kV can jump a long way. All it takes is someone leaning over the bridge parapet to take a photo (or similar), bag strap drops down... Statistic.

railnerd

Hi.

If we are talking facts then, heres one...

You could put fencing around the whole rail network, and if someone wants to get onto the track badly enough, they will. The recent St. Neots Flying Scotsman efforts will prove that.

Im now waiting for someone to say there wasnt adequete fencing in that area, which will somewhat blow the electrification hazard out the water!

Im just gonna quit my involvment in this arguement and say youre all right and im wrong :D

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Hi.

If we are talking facts then, heres one...

You could put fencing around the whole rail network, and if someone wants to get onto the track badly enough, they will. The recent St. Neots Flying Scotsman efforts will prove that.

Im now waiting for someone to say there wasnt adequete fencing in that area, which will somewhat blow the electrification hazard out the water!

Im just gonna quit my involvment in this arguement and say youre all right and im wrong :D
You of course are right, in their world it is ALWAYS somebody elses fault, where as in my (personal responsibility) world it is quite often their own fault.

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Hi.

I must just say at this point, i am NOT trying to glamourise death on the railways in any sense whatsoever. It is a tragedy when anyone dies through accident or misadventure.

My main point is that if you go anywhere near a railway, it can be like a snail playing russian roulette on the M6.

How does the snail hold the gun?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
on already-electrified lines fencing tends to be replaced with the more secure versions at locations where there's high incidences of farm animals escaping onto the railway or of trespass (usually kids) and with the latter the usual cheaper option of using the BTP in schools to scare the blighters hasn't yielded good enough results.

QueensCurve

Established Member
25kV can jump a long way. All it takes is someone leaning over the bridge parapet to take a photo (or similar), bag strap drops down... Statistic.

Is it not the case that British Rail had a trial at Crewe (Up Liverpool Independent Line???) where a wire was energised at 25kV and a steam locomotive stoked to give maximum smoke and open the steam releif valves with restricted clearances and no flashover occured?

Also at Crewe, I recall a heavy rainstorm where a water spout draining of the roof was directly bathing the 25kV and again no flashover occured.

Deepgreen

Established Member
If there's electrification involved (and quite often there is) then there is a *very* good reason for it.

And even where it isn't - 300 suicides last year tells me that people and trains are coming together way too often.

Not to mention the dropping/throwing of bricks, etc., onto passing trains, much (as a photographer) as I hate the high fences and bridge parapets.

najaB

Veteran Member
Is it not the case that British Rail had a trial at Crewe (Up Liverpool Independent Line???) where a wire was energised at 25kV and a steam locomotive stoked to give maximum smoke and open the steam releif valves with restricted clearances and no flashover occured?

Also at Crewe, I recall a heavy rainstorm where a water spout draining of the roof was directly bathing the 25kV and again no flashover occured.
I don't doubt that either of these are true. But the fact that something didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Earth didn't get hit by a ten mile wide asteroid today, so go tell the dinosaurs that it couldn't happen.

Oh, wait, you can't.

There wasn't a flashover in either of the situations you described, but that doesn't mean flashover can't happen. I saw, but didn't think to bookmark, a video on YouTube that showed flashover happening with a steam train - I'll have a hunt for it.

Last edited:

Trog

Established Member
But the fact that something didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Earth didn't get hit by a ten mile wide asteroid today, so go tell the dinosaurs that it couldn't happen.

Oh, wait, you can't.

Don't you think they had enough problems with going extinct, without you adding to their worries by exaggerating the size of their asteroid? :)

najaB

Veteran Member
I saw, but didn't think to bookmark, a video on YouTube that showed flashover happening with a steam train - I'll have a hunt for it.
Here is is:
[youtube]vQTinmPjS_o[/youtube]

Found it in this thread.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't you think they had enough problems with going extinct, without you adding to their worries by exaggerating the size of their asteroid? :)
Too soon?

AndyPJG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36029201|BBCNews item

Spondon driver banned after becoming trapped on level crossing

A driver who jumped red lights and became stuck on a level crossing has been banned from driving and handed a five-month suspended jail sentence.
Leighanne Mouser, 27, of Spondon, Derbyshire, who became trapped behind the barriers, was only able to escape when a CCTV operator spotted her and activated the barrier.
Mouser pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at Derby Magistrate's Court.
In addition to the two-year ban, she was ordered to pay £85 in court costs.
'Extremely lucky'
Following the sentencing, a spokesman for British Transport Police said her actions had been "unbelievable".
"She was extremely lucky that a train was not coming at the time or the outcome would have been unthinkable," he said.
"Most accidents are as a result of impatience - not being prepared to wait and trying to beat the train. For the sake of 60 seconds, a little patience can prevent lives being ruined."
Mouser was also ordered to take "an extended retest".

Someone prosectuted at last

Status
Not open for further replies.