• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football Club Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
The Station Assocation game has been a great success over an extended period, and the Settlement Association game, though young, is also looking like a classic thread! Thus, I would like to try another association game!

This time, you have to name a football club that shares a link with the previous example. Once again, I would like to ask that we restrict ourselves to Great Britain; I would allow Northern Irish clubs but many of us will only know of a select few which may cause problems. And before you ask, I have been careful in my choice of thread name, because "Football Association" - the obvious choice - would need to be accompanied by a playing of the Imperial March theme from Star Wars! :lol:

Anyhow, on to the game. As ever, an example:

Person X says Preston North End.
Person Y says Bury, because it was once suggested that their name be changed to Manchester North End.
Person Z says Tottenham Hotspur, because their ground's name also ends in "Lane".

And so, on we go. Who wants to take us on from Spurs?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Cardiff City. The only non-English team to win the FA Cup whilst Spurs are the only non-league club (at the time) to have won it.

Hope this is good enough :oops:

Ivo

Established Member
'Course it is :) Anything that works. Some of the associations in the other two are far more remote than that!

Cardiff once came within goal average of winning the title, something they have never managed, but fell at the last (I believe they missed a penalty which would have won them the title! Who says penalty shoot-outs are a recent thing...?). Although not by quite as fine a margin, Rotherham United once failed to attain promotion to the top flight, something they have never managed, due to the same tie-breaker.

Bedpan

Established Member
Is it admissable to go from there to Dover Athlitic on the basis of the Vera Lynn song "there'll be Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover", or does it have to be a strict football club association?

Ivo

Established Member
A football link would be preferred, because otherwise we'll just be copying the Settlement game. In this particular case though, you can't anyway because we're on Rotherham not Cardiff ;)

Ivo

Established Member
Notts County are also the current "lower" team in a city that has two League teams (although Forest are technically on the wrong side of the Trent).

Arsenal and Rotherham United have a home strip jersey of a red body with white sleeves. Is this acceptable to the quiz rules?

But of course! Anything football-related is adequate, so long as it is genuine.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Derby County also have the word "county" in their name ( Last year, I would have been able to post Stockport County, but they are heading to the stage that if their plummet downwards continues, they will be lucky to be playing in the local "Sunday Schools" league)..:roll:

Ivo

Established Member
Back to Nottingham, only this time with Forest - the Rams' arch rivals, and also known for the exploits of Ol' Big 'Ead.

Ivo

Established Member
Where Liverpool are the true Reds of England, it could be suggested that Chelsea are the true Blues of England.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The last clue had a bird as part of its clue, but West Bromwich Albion also have an avian nickname (when was a Throstle last seen flying around The Hawthorns ?) and also are one of the few teams to have the word "Albion" in their name

SS4

Established Member
West Brom are founder members of the Football League; brainchild of William McGregor, once chairman of Aston Villa

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Aston Villa played Darlington in the FA cup Third Round on the 11th of December 1999. The gane finsihed 2-1 in favour of Aston Villa, thanks to a great gaol by BEnito Carbone and some superb saves form David James to deny fitst Neil Heaney and then Peter Duffield. I was there - Why so special?

Darlington had been knocked out of the FA Cup in round two by Gillingham ( who drew Walsall - UNLUCKY!). Darlington were the "lucky looser" who stepped into the third round draw to replace Manceshter United ( who were playing in some tin pot cup in Brasil)

his is the only time in FA Cup history a tram kncoked out has featrued in the next round!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_cup/560294.stm

gg1

Established Member
Darlington are one of a small number of clubs to have been relegated to non-league football and later achieve promotion back in to the league. Colchester United have also achieved this feat.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington are one of a small number of clubs to have been relegated to non-league football and later achieve promotion back in to the league. Colchester United have also achieved this feat.

Darlington are one of an even smaller number of clubs to be relegated out of the league twice, like Lincoln City

(we also got back the fitst time in only one season AND won the 4th division a year later - heady days! )

gg1

Established Member
We had West Bromwich Albion only a short time ago...must be very popular!!!

Indeed we are, boing boing :lol::lol:

If I hadn't popped away from my PC for 15 minutes I could have had another, Derek McInnes being a former baggies player :D

Anyway, on to Man U:

Manchester United's only season outside the top flight since world war two coincided with Carlisle United's only season in the top flight in their history.

Status
Not open for further replies.