• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football Fan Banned & Fined For Assaulting Female BTP Officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoniC

Manchester City fan is banned from matches for punching policewoman in 'vile' attack at train station
17:37, 1 JUN 2016 UPDATED 17:38, 1 JUN 2016
BY CHRIS SLATER
Steven Mark Wilson, 34, knocked the officer to the ground with a sickening blow

A Manchester City fan has been banned from matches for three years after punching and flooring a policewoman in a ‘vile’ attack at a train station.

Steven Mark Wilson, 34, knocked the officer to the ground with a sickening blow just as she and a colleague tried to arrest him at Piccadilly.

City season ticket holder Wilson had earlier been to watch his side lose 3-1 to Leicester at the Etihad in February, which severely dented their title chances.

As he was returning home from the game he flew into a rage after being asked to show his ticket in a routine check by a member of staf, becoming aggressive and pushing him out of the way.

British Transport Police were alerted and two officers and a PCSO attended and asked Wilson to provide his details but he continued to be aggressive.

Read more: Manchester City to look into claims of police brutality against fans during Champions League clash in Madrid

And as they attempted to arrest him for the earlier assault, he became agitated and began flailing his arms.

As they tried to restrain him he responded by punching the WPC in the face with such force that she was knocked to the ground.

Following the attack the 38-year-old officer had been placed on restricted duties.

Wilson, of Lintott Gardens, Warrington, was handed the three year football banning order at Manchester Magistrates last month after admitting two charges of assault.

It means he cannot attend any stadium or town or city centre close to where City or England are playing on match days.

Wilson was handed a four month curfew which will be monitored with an electronic tag.

And he was ordered to pay £100 compensation, a £60 victim surcharge and £520 court costs.

PC Dave Sykes from British Transport Police said: “Wilson’s behaviour was completely reprehensible.

“His vile abuse towards a member of rail staff who was simply carrying out this job was bad enough but to continue his tirade towards police officers and then to punch a WPC so hard in the face that the force of the blow knocked her to the ground is truly sickening.

“This loutish behaviour is utterly unacceptable and we will do everything in our power to bring people like Wilson to justice.”

Source : Manchester Evening News : http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...s/manchester-city-fan-banned-matches-11415308

Its good to see this assault being dealt with so seriously.
I wonder what will inconvenience him more, the fine & conviction or being banned from football for 3 years ?..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
Two questions:
1) Why isn't he in jail or at least facing a higher fine?
2) Why isn't he also banned from the railway for 3 years?

crewmeal

Because there is no justice in this country. He should have been banned for life and had at least 5 years for assault.

leightonbd

Disappointed that the courts won't send you to jail for punching a Bobby. Very surprised at that, although one assumes he got a night in the cells following the arrest.

I'm just wondering if the guy actually had a ticket all along?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I'm not sure how he gets bans from football grounds as the incident was miles away.

Would he had been banned from the Trafford Centre had he been travelling from there?

It sure he won't be missed all the same

dgl

Established Member
I'm not sure how he gets bans from football grounds as the incident was miles away.

Would he had been banned from the Trafford Centre had he been travelling from there?

I suppose that fact that he had just been to a match and the attack could be coined by some people as 'football hooliganism' that they decided to act.
Sensible decision if you ask me.

Master29

Established Member
Some of the biggest pain in the bum football fans are 50+ year old men. Prob the original lot who caused all the trouble back in the late 70's/early 80's.

Agreed, especially on trains. When there are lots of them we smile and say it`s all in good humour which some no doubt is but this is way beyond that...

Phil.

Established Member
I wonder how much aggro there was from Cornwall rugby fans returning from Twickers.

Harbornite

Established Member
He sounds like a real gentleman, I bet he feels proud of himself.

trivran

Because there is no justice in this country. He should have been banned for life and had at least 5 years for assault.

You'd be hard pressed to get five years for assault given the maximum is six months.

Flamingo

Established Member
Some of the biggest pain in the bum football fans are 50+ year old men. Prob the original lot who caused all the trouble back in the late 70's/early 80's.

My very thoughts. The younger drunks can be loud and gobby, but for arrogant nastiness, it's the ones that are old enough to be grandparents every time.

sarahj

Established Member
My very thoughts. The younger drunks can be loud and gobby, but for arrogant nastiness, it's the ones that are old enough to be grandparents every time.

Yup. You get gangs of them sitting in first and refusing to move, being loud and nasty. I once came across a group that were rude, sexist and leary, and included a then current PM* in their group. He apoligised profusely the next day, but I never looked at him in the same way again.

* Production Manager. The person who sorts out work, you sign on to, phone in sick to, not a David Cameron type PM.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yup. You get gangs of them sitting in first and refusing to move, being loud and nasty. I once came across a group that were rude, sexist and leary, and included a then current PM* in their group. He apoligised profusely the next day, but I never looked at him in the same way again.

* Production Manager. The person who sorts out work, you sign on to, phone in sick to, not a David Cameron type PM.

don't be surprised that many of these people have real jobs. Many of them arent brainless plebs with no prospects. Several just like a punch up.

misterredmist

Two questions:
1) Why isn't he in jail or at least facing a higher fine?
2) Why isn't he also banned from the railway for 3 years?

INDEED ! a real opportunity missed to put this low life away for a few years and send a message out to others of his ilk. Absolutely disgraceful behavior by the lout and whoever is responsible for such a poor, soft sentence......

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
don't be surprised that many of these people have real jobs. Many of them arent brainless plebs with no prospects. Several just like a punch up.

Indeed the racist who shoved the man out of the train on the Paris Metro was an investment banker who'd been very expensively educated.

Shame they didn't teach him manners at public school, eh?

As for the OP, a punch wouldn't see you jailed if you hit someone on the street, I don't see why the punishment should be higher just because the victim was a copper or a woman. I don't think punches in the street are punished harshly enough though.

TheEdge

Established Member
As for the OP, a punch wouldn't see you jailed if you hit someone on the street, I don't see why the punishment should be higher just because the victim was a copper or a woman. I don't think punches in the street are punished harshly enough though.

The woman part no, but the police officer part, yes. Thumping a police officer should be a mandatory custodial sentence. Its a job where they are in serious harms way enough not to expect to get whacked by some ****ed football lout and for the offender to get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Poolie

The woman part no, but the police officer part, yes. Thumping a police officer should be a mandatory custodial sentence. Its a job where they are in serious harms way enough not to expect to get whacked by some ****ed football lout and for the offender to get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

I resent the statement football fan in the original article.... football lout.....is definitely the correct term, thankyou TheEdge

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Indeed the racist who shoved the man out of the train on the Paris Metro was an investment banker who'd been very expensively educated.

Shame they didn't teach him manners at public school, eh?

I know that novels can reflect real life at public school and therefore ask if you do remember what type of person Flashman was at Rugby School in "Tom Brown's Schooldays" and of his subsequent life in the following novels?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I know that novels can reflect real life at public school and therefore ask if you do remember what type of person Flashman was at Rugby School in "Tom Brown's Schooldays" and of his subsequent life in the following novels?

A terribly decent chap who gave the natives a jolly good thrashing and expanded the civilising influence of the British Empire across swathes of the heathen world bringing glory, awe and respect to the mother country?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I did say decent jobs ;)

Antman

Established Member

That's exactly what I thought and if I've understood this correctly he is only banned from Manchester City and England games? So presumably he could go and watch Man Utd, except when they play City of course, should he wish to do so?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Not at a magistrates court he won't.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's exactly what I thought and if I've understood this correctly he is only banned from Manchester City and England games? So presumably he could go and watch Man Utd, except when they play City of course, should he wish to do so?

If he is subject to a banning order he is banned from all games at Conference level and above. If City have banned him and there is no banning order he is banned from City games.

Antman

Established Member
If he is subject to a banning order he is banned from all games at Conference level and above. If City have banned him and there is no banning order he is banned from City games.

It only mentions City and England games in the link.

Master29

Established Member

Don`t you mean Merchant banker.....Rhyming with xxxxxxx. Seriously though, there has long been groups of well paid "Gentlemen"???? following various clubs who behave like Chimps when on trains. Nothing new but shows the gap style mentality they view themselves as between the serfs (us) and them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.