Football teams on trains

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Art1983, 12 Oct 2019 at 16:15.

1. Art1983

Art1983 Member

3 national league games were postponed today after sutton (due to play away at fylde) dagenham (due to play away at stockport) and Dover (due to play away at barrow) were all stranded at euston due to a sad incident south of bletchley which happened in the early hours this morning. very risky sporting teams with long journeys travelling on the same day but I think Dover and sutton were taking a big risk, stockport should have been ok but the circumstances were unfortunate

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Essexman

Essexman Established Member

Most non league clubs can’t afford hotel costs for overnight stays. Good to see them using trains.

4. mmh

mmh Established Member

I'm a Sutton supporter, the team often travels by train - I've been on the same train about half a dozen times. A coach meeting them at the destination station can be a lot more practical than a coach all the way.

5. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

I heard the Barrow manager on the radio earlier. He wasn't happy that Dover weren't travelling until today. And with a schedule that left no room for delays. They were expecting a crowd of 3,000, so the match being called off has cost them a lot of money.

He said Barrow have one of the lowest budgets in the division but they always travel the day before if they have a long way to go.

6. Art1983

Art1983 Member

Clearly today was just a very unfortunate incident with unfortunate timing as I've never known 3 games called off in footballs 5th tier due to a railway issue before.

7. 43055

43055 Member

Coming back from London early this year I had QPR traveling up to Sheffield on the same train as me. Even got a at seat first class service because we couldn't get though to the buffet for the weekend first class service.

8. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

I do wonder what the environmental footprint of shifting teams and thousands of fans up and down the country every weekend is....

Teams travelling by rail is to be congratulated!

9. MDB1images

MDB1images Member

No problem with them travelling by train at any level(makes sense on ECML and WCML)
    Suspect there maybe a review of the situation as Dover and Sutton wouldn't have left much room for error/delay (09:30 ex Euston for Dover, heading to Barrow and 10:30 ex Euston for Sutton heading to AFC Fylde by all accounts )

10. duncanp

duncanp Member

11. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

Can't remember which league team it was, but wasn't they a manager who decided that if they could get to an away game by train then they would?

12. mmh

mmh Established Member

Barrow can take a running jump. They have no place to be taking the high ground. Never been to the football ground, I and about 150 supporters, and the team, got as close as Preston before we were told the game was off the other year. Lots of us had hotels booked, so frankly my heart doesn't bleed for him.

13. MedwayValiant

MedwayValiant Member

Absolutely it is, but there is a problem: the three teams who failed to arrive for their away games today are likely to be fined for it. Barrow in particular have been shooting their mouth off about Dover's non-arrival, demanding that Barrow are awarded the points by default, calling Dover a "tinpot club", and so on. It is claimed that when Dover's supporters - on a coach - arrived at the ground, a Barrow official informed them that "Your bunch of c-words haven't bothered to come".

Will teams such as Dover "risk" travelling by train again?

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Established Member

These days you can be in much the same boat if there's an accident on the motorway, and it doesn't take a fatality to do it either. I think the best bet is for them to travel earlier, depending on the kick off time. I don't know if they still do but I Arsenal seemed to be big fans of travelling by train under Arsene Wenger, often using the 'Pretendolino' with seats being filled by travelling fans, or just travelling in First on regular services, I seem to recall them arriving in Leeds on the morning of an FA cup match in 2011, but that was an evening kick off.

15. sharpley

sharpley Member

16. sprunt

sprunt Member

If they've got any sense. The issue isn't mode of transport, it's travelling that distance on the day of the game. A coach journey from Dover to to Barrow will afford many opportunities to be catastrophically delayed.

17. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

At least he doesn't appear to be picking his arse.

18. sprunt

sprunt Member

Manchester United do (or did until recently) often travel to games in London by train, from Stockport as a rule.

19. Edders23

Edders23 Member

I support a non league team and have never known the away side to come by train even when the ground used to be next door to the station (it's 2 miles away now) they have some pretty long journeys as much as 150 miles and always a team coach arrives with the away team

20. Clayton

Clayton Member

Man City travel by train! Though if they were going a distance like Dover to Barrow I imagine they’d fly.

21. Parham Wood

Parham Wood Member

Liverpool used to travel to London games by train presumably the night before and return the same evening. I used to travel the Euston - Liverpool route frequently when I worked for the railway in Liverpool. It was not unusual to see the whole team sitting in one half of a first class coach with the likes of Emlyn Hughes, Kevin Keegan, Steve Heighway, etc. walking past at times. Nobody bothered them.

22. island

island Established Member

I support Wigan Athletic and live in London. A number of times I have found myself on the same train back to London as the opposition team after a match at the DW Stadium.

23. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

Man city also have a deal with virgin trains that give fans a discount when travelling to away fixtures by train.

24. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

If I recall correctly Arsenal received heavy criticism a number of years ago for flying to an away fixture with Norwich from London when going by train or coach would have been easier surely? Flight lasted like 18 minutes or something.

25. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Dover have been travelling by train for many years, mainly up north where the ECML and WCML can be used, hiring out 1st coaches. The squad meet in London, players rarely live in Dover anymore.

Games at Macclesfield, Tranmere, Harrogate, Fylde, Wrexham, etc. Sometimes involving coach transfers to avoid using local services, eg in August I arrived in Leeds and transferred to Northern, they went the rest of the way to Harrogate by coach.

Today we probably would have gone by coach from Lancaster.

Today was first railway failure, perhaps they should have left Euston on the 0830, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Occasionally we fly, eg to Hartlepool the other week.

26. Scotty

Scotty Member

The day before, though.

27. baz962

baz962 Established Member

Euston to st pancras by coach is plain lazy lol.

28. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

It was mid-morning, not "the early hours"

29. sannox

sannox Member

It is just unfortunate- the Dover statement notes that the railways are often more reliable than roads.

I remember a Hearts v Kilmarnock game being called off because the Kilmarnock team bus got stuck in an M8 motorway closure. Irony was a lot of the fan buses got there because they diverted- the team bus being early got stuck in the closure section.

30. eMeS

eMeS Member

We got to Bletchley this morning for the train to Euston, and whilst I parked the car, my partner was told that Euston was closed, and was advised that we travel to Bedford for a London train from there. We drove to Luton Airport Parkway, got to London late, and when we returned to St Pancras for our return journey to Luton Airport Parkway at about 17:20, found that no trains were travelling north, due to a "person hit by a train" somewhere south of St Albans City. Eventually we were allowed past the barriers, and caught a delayed train stopping at St Albans City etc., and terminating at Bedford.

Thoughts with all concerned.

31. 50039

50039 Member

Without going too far off topic - it would make more sense to have the old ‘north’ and ‘south’ divisions to avoid lower league clubs with limited funds having to make such journeys - Dover to Barrow is a heck of a journey for anyone!