• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wednesday currently beating Blackburn 3-1, they are looking like they may pull off The Great Escape... is this the first time they've been out of the relegation zone all season?

Edit: That's a confirmed result now. Huddersfield V Birmingham looks it should be a lively one next weekend now!
It won't be. No doubt we'll once again select no strikers in the starting eleven, waste several chances, and then capitulate in the last twenty minutes or so and lose by three or four sloppy breakaway goals. That seems to be Herr Breitenreiter's way.
After yesterday's 0-4 against a Swansea side who were already on the beach, I'm pretty much resigned to third tier football next season. A long succession of poor decisions by an assortment of chief executives and DoFs have led to this. It's a shame but that's football.

I'll still renew my season ticket unless one of our American owner's "underlings" suggests that he can get away with doubling prices despite having been relegated... though given that they gave Darren Moore a three year contract, I wouldn't put it past them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
The National League have had a rethink and it is now Altrincham who get the bye with Solihull Moors playing the remaining eliminator at home to Halifax Town.

And rightly so, as Alty are now the highest placed team in the quarter finals, even if it means we have to go to Solihull and almost certainly I won't now get a ticket. Apparently when Chesterfield went there last season they got 250 and we have more than 250 season ticket holders

It beggars belief * that the national league had to issue two statements, three hours apart, both citing their competition rules, to get to this stage. Presumably Alty and/or their legal people got on the phone after the first announcement

* no it doesn''t really, this is the national league. Inept as ever. P*ss up, brewery, all that good stuff

Purple Train

Established Member
Chester City 0 v Darlo 0

End of season dead rubber. Draw a fair result. Darlo finish 16th in NLN after a remarkable turn around in the last third of the season under manager Steve Watson.

He has signed a 2 year contract
That's really quite something, congratulations. And, on a disappointingly dissimilar note, commiserations to Coventry.

I'm still not quite sure how Bristol City have managed to go unbeaten for six games, but I'm not going to complain! I'm probably tempting fate, but I hope it's a sign that Manning is starting to click.
It won't be. No doubt we'll once again select no strikers in the starting eleven, waste several chances, and then capitulate in the last twenty minutes or so and lose by three or four sloppy breakaway goals. That seems to be Herr Breitenreiter's way.
After yesterday's 0-4 against a Swansea side who were already on the beach, I'm pretty much resigned to third tier football next season. A long succession of poor decisions by an assortment of chief executives and DoFs have led to this. It's a shame but that's football.

I'll still renew my season ticket unless one of our American owner's "underlings" suggests that he can get away with doubling prices despite having been relegated... though given that they gave Darren Moore a three year contract, I wouldn't put it past them!
To be fair, you should have had three points against us but for a rather dubious penalty decision, to say the least!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That's really quite something, congratulations. And, on a disappointingly dissimilar note, commiserations to Coventry.

I'm still not quite sure how Bristol City have managed to go unbeaten for six games, but I'm not going to complain! I'm probably tempting fate, but I hope it's a sign that Manning is starting to click.

To be fair, you should have had three points against us but for a rather dubious penalty decision, to say the least!
A dubious penalty decision made in the tenth minute of the alloted five added on. I know the five is a minimum, but there weren't five additional minutes wasted within that first five. I'd have posted angrily about that last week, but there are plenty of other instances through the season where we've dropped points with only ourselves to blame.
Ms. Welch won't be getting any Xmas cards from Huddersfield fans though!

JD2168

Manchester United have beaten Coventry City 4-2 on Penalties after a 3-3 draw to go through to the FA Cup final against Manchester City. Manchester United we’re 3-0 up before Coventry brung it back to 3-3.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Which is why the Premier League sides with stronger squads tend to do better. But your post really is a statement of the blindingly obvious.
The problem is that increasingly PL teams are putting out what would be on paper their weakest teams (squad players who are rarely seen in the league), only bringing on the high calibre players if things are going wrong with 20 to go. Basically they are starting to treat the FA Cup as just another distraction from the European competitions. This de-values the competition not only in the fans eyes, but if continued will start to devalue it for coverage & sponsorships too, which in turn will lead to less money in the completion. This would be a double-whammy for lower league teams who potentially denied the opportunity to get a reply at a big ground, but also potentially lose out financially. A single big draw in the FA Cup can boost some club' budgets by more than double.

The FA Cup format is perfectly fine as it is, there is no need to make it less valuable to lower league clubs.

dangie

Established Member
Manchester United have beaten Coventry City 4-2 on Penalties after a 3-3 draw to go through to the FA Cup final against Manchester City. Manchester United we’re 3-0 up before Coventry brung it back to 3-3.
I’m guessing due to the lack of replies to this, many on here support Manchester United and are therefore too embarrassed to comment.

Purple Train

Established Member
A dubious penalty decision made in the tenth minute of the alloted five added on. I know the five is a minimum, but there weren't five additional minutes wasted within that first five. I'd have posted angrily about that last week, but there are plenty of other instances through the season where we've dropped points with only ourselves to blame.
Ms. Welch won't be getting any Xmas cards from Huddersfield fans though!
Well, I'm so used to such decisions going against us that I'm not quite sure I wasn't hallucinating! ;)
Manchester United have beaten Coventry City 4-2 on Penalties after a 3-3 draw to go through to the FA Cup final against Manchester City. Manchester United were 3-0 up before Coventry brung it back to 3-3.
Is "brung" a word? It's not one I've heard before, but then my copy of the OED is 30 years old!
I’m guessing due to the lack of replies to this, many on here support Manchester United and are therefore too embarrassed to comment.
I did mention this earlier (not that I support Manchester United); if ever a cup game deserved to be tied, this was it. That's not a slight against Coventry: they deserved something out of the game by all means, but United didn't play badly enough to deserve to lose, if that makes sense. The offside at the end was marginal, and, in such cases, I would support an "umpire's call" system, but it did look offside from the freeze-frame on the television.

JamesT

Established Member
I did mention this earlier (not that I support Manchester United); if ever a cup game deserved to be tied, this was it. That's not a slight against Coventry: they deserved something out of the game by all means, but United didn't play badly enough to deserve to lose, if that makes sense. The offside at the end was marginal, and, in such cases, I would support an "umpire's call" system, but it did look offside from the freeze-frame on the television.
Though the game was only at 3-3 thanks to a very soft penalty.
https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?i...96x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40&format=jpg was given, but
https://a2.espncdn.com/combiner/i?i...96x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40&format=jpg was not.
Can anyone work out the difference between the two?

VAR essentially does have Umpire’s Call already for subjective decisions. But Offside is a simple matter of fact, you’re either on or you’re off.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Talking again of yesterday's FA Cup semi-final, when did the law change come in, which means that a player (I'm thinking here of the Manchester United goalkeeper), receiving a second yellow card during the so-called end-of-game penalty shoot out, doesn't then get sent off?

Funny how Crystal Palace vs West Ham often seems to be an absolute goal fest...

And that in recent years, Crystal Palace vs Newcastle has rarely seen more than one goal

Gutted for Coventry. Hope United get battered next month in the final.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Talking again of yesterday's FA Cup semi-final, when did the law change come in, which means that a player (I'm thinking here of the Manchester United goalkeeper), receiving a second yellow card during the so-called end-of-game penalty shoot out, doesn't then get sent off?
Not sure but it happened in one of the European games in midweek as well.

JamesT

Established Member
Not sure but it happened in one of the European games in midweek as well.
Some of the commentary around the Villa keeper said the rule change was 4 years ago. Apparently the idea is that the referee can penalise the keeper for repeated infringements during the shootout where sending them off after a single one would be excessive.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Some of the commentary around the Villa keeper said the rule change was 4 years ago. Apparently the idea is that the referee can penalise the keeper for repeated infringements during the shootout where sending them off after a single one would be excessive.
To quote from a couple of tweets about this:
This was changed in the Laws of the Game for the 2020-21 season, so it's been around for 4 seasons. It followed a change which said a keeper needed one foot on or above the line. Booked if they broke this twice. Wiping yellows intended to reduce the chance of a red for this.
Law change notes in the 2020-21 edition state: "Yellow card for all players are not carried forward into a penalty shootout. "If a player receives a yellow card in both the match and the penalty shootout, this should be recorded as two yellow cards, not as a red card."
However, I don't think it's the case that a player can receive more than one yellow in the shoot-out and remain involved.

JD2168

Nottingham Forest have requested from the FA the audio from the incidents involving the controversial turned down penalty claims in their 2-0 defeat against Everton.

The FA have requested observations from Forest, Nuno Espírito Santo, Neco Williams & Mark Clattenburg in reference to their comments after the game.

Barnsley have sacked manager Neil Collins.

Iskra

Established Member
Middlesbrough 3 Leeds 4. A chaotic game, but the LUFC rollercoaster continues; Leeds into 2nd place in the league. I'm questioning Farke's tactical approach to this game, and do find him a bit concerning at the moment, which is not how you want to be feel with at least 2 big games left to play.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Matlock Town 5 ... Ashton United 1

A shock result by Ashton at 17th place Matlock in the Monday night fixture, as this was by far the easier match of the "two in hand" needed to ensure that Ashton gained the 5th and final play-off spot from Hyde United and they were 2-0 down at half time. They now have an eight goal worse goal difference than Hyde on level points. Their final match is at home to third-place Marine.

This match result has also opened up another possible contender for the 5th and final play-off place. Worksop Town have two matches in hand of Hyde United and are three points behind the with only a small goal difference deficit than Hyde United. Those two fixtures are:-

Tuesday, 23rd April...away at Guiseley.

Saturday, 27th April...away at already relegated Atherton Collieries.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Guiseley 2 ... Worksop Town 4

The Tuesday night match saw Worksop 1-0 up at half-time and winning this match well. The result saw them leap two places in the league over both Hyde United and Ashton United into 5th position, the last remaining play-off place with level points but a superior goal difference than the other two clubs. The final league matches on this coming Saturday will confirm which club finishes the season in the 5th, 6th and 7th position.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The final league matches on this coming Saturday will confirm which club finishes the season in the 5th, 6th and 7th position.
Whoever finishes in 5th position in the Northern Premier League on Saturday then gets to play away at money bags Macclesfield FC next Tuesday night in a promotion play off semi-final. Final league placings could well be decided on goal difference.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whoever finishes in 5th position in the Northern Premier League on Saturday then gets to play away at money bags Macclesfield FC next Tuesday night in a promotion play off semi-final. Final league placings could well be decided on goal difference.
Just to prove that being a money-bags team does not make you invinceable, as last night, Macclesfield lost 2-1 at Bamber Bridge.