• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Kings Lynn 0 v Darlo 1

GET IN! The reign of terror and incompetence of josh gowling is over!

Steve Watson first game in charge. Much simpler approach to formation, tactics and style. Basically played a 442, much more effort and desire, higher tempo, higher up the pitch, defenders organised AND WE SCORED A GOAL!

Perhaps the foundations to build the great escape?

Southport next. We get nowt there. Might change this time........

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
Sunlun kids like rabbits in the headlights.

Clarke and Jobe invisible, Dan Neil and Pritchard probably the best of a poor bunch
Three awful goals given away by Sunderland, especially the second, and the penalty was the result of a rash unnecessary challenge!

SteveM70

Established Member
Three awful goals given away by Sunderland, especially the second, and the penalty was the result of a rash unnecessary challenge!

The penalty is neither here nor there, in the last minute at 0-2. It’s the second goal that’s the killer, just after half time and as the result of Ekwah getting too clever on the edge of his own box

From a Newcastle point of view, playing their strongest possible team in a cup game against lower league opposition shows one or more of (i) understanding the history and importance of the derby, (ii) it being their only realistic chance of winning anything this season; (iii) Howe realising his job isn’t as secure as some might think

gomango

Partick Thistle supporter here:

Quite impressed with how well we are doing in the league despite the small budget!

Some Noticeable Results:
Partick Thistle 4 v 0 Arbroath
Ayr United 0 v 4 Partick Thistle
Greenock Morton 1 v 4 Partick Thistle

Some bad noticeable results:

Partick Thistle 0 v 5 Dundee United
Partick Thistle 0 v 3 Arbroath

Yes we have already played Arbroath at home twice. It's because the Scottish Championship is so small!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suspect Huddersfield will make the same decision against Abu Dhabi All-Stars this afternoon...
Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what's wrong with this match preview from our publicly funded state broadcaster...?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67895100

Manchester City's Rodri and Erling Haaland are doubts for the club's FA Cup third round tie against Huddersfield Town.

Spain midfielder Rodri could miss Sunday's game following the death of his grandmother.

"Today and tomorrow he will not be here," said Guardiola, whose side won the FA Cup last season.

"Hopefully he will come back for the game but, if he needs to stay, family issues are the most important thing."

Haaland has not played since 6 December because of a foot injury.

Midfielder Kevin de Bruyne and winger Jeremy Doku are back in training after injuries, but Guardiola is unsure if they will figure this weekend or in the club's next Premier League game against Newcastle United on Saturday 13 January.

"Jeremy feels really good and Kevin as well. Kevin was out for a long time so we have to be patient," said the City boss.

"Erling is also a little bit better. It is the bone so that why I have to be a little bit more careful.

"They feel good and are improving. I don't know about Sunday or Newcastle but for the rest they will be ready."

De Bruyne has not featured for City since tearing his hamstring during their Premier League season opener against Burnley on 11 August.

The Belgium international was an unused substitute for a league win over Sheffield United in his side's last game.

Guardiola added that four players in Bernardo Silva, Kalvin Phillips, Matheus Nunes and Scott Carson were struggling with illness.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Manchester City 5 - 0 Huddersfield Town

Didn't expect anything other than a drubbing, but was quite impressed with how long we held out against The Best Team In The World(TM). Our two new signings look decent, and young Brodie Spencer has definitely benefitted from his loan spell with Aberdeen. The commentary from the BBC's Red Button team was reasonably charitable towards us too, perhaps trying to make up for the abysmal match preview article that seemed to think only one team was involved in the game.

JD2168

Arsenal are out of the FA Cup losing 2-0 to Liverpool at the Emirates Stadium. Arsenal as in recent matches missed a whole host of chances then at the end there was a Kiwior own goal & a Luis Diaz breakaway goal. Chanting could be heard towards the end of fans wanting a striker at the club.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Arsenal are out of the FA Cup losing 2-0 to Liverpool at the Emirates Stadium. Arsenal as in recent matches missed a whole host of chances then at the end there was a Kiwior own goal & a Luis Diaz breakaway goal. Chanting could be heard towards the end of fans wanting a striker at the club.
And some fans are acting like they have won the entire competition.

Better fire up the open top bus for the "we made it into the 4th round" parade :rolleyes:

At least with the game being held in London they didn't have far to travel home :lol:

Harvester

Established Member
From a Newcastle point of view, playing their strongest possible team in a cup game against lower league opposition shows one or more of (i) understanding the history and importance of the derby, (ii) it being their only realistic chance of winning anything this season; (iii) Howe realising his job isn’t as secure as some might think
I would say reverse order (iii) - (ii) - (i) neatly sums it up!

Norm_D_Ploom

Sunlun kids like rabbits in the headlights.

Clarke and Jobe invisible, Dan Neil and Pritchard probably the best of a poor bunch
Yes I have to say that I was disappointed with Clarke.
He just didn't seem at it really, wanted too much time on the ball. I thought Ballard had a decent game, I know he scored the og but he did OK generally and the pen was obviously just a chance for him to leave a bit on Anthony Gordon.

I thought that was Man Utd?
In the North here you see more Liverpool shirts than ay other English team.
Define " the north " because that is not my experience of the NE and Yorkshire!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
the best thing about the Sunderland v Barcodes game was the home team painting a bar in black and white!

Sky:
A football club has apologised to its fans after a stadium bar was decorated in the colours of its arch-rivals, days before the teams meet in the FA Cup.

Bosses at Sunderland AFC have admitted the club made a "serious error in judgement" after banners saying "Keep the Black and White Flying High" and "We are United" were hung at the Stadium of Light, ahead of Saturday's third-round tie against Newcastle.

Oh absolutely not. No way Uncle Tony would be a member of the BMLC! The destroy and exit would be if they had Allardyce, Bruce, or the nasty arrogant piece of work that is Mark Hughes (edit - Hughes is 37.4% win rate - squeezed neatly between the big two of the BMLC)
Mogga appointed Birmingham Manager

Harvester

Established Member
It has been announced that Franz Beckenbauer has died. A great player and another of the 1966 WC finalists to die this year. Only six of the 22 that played that day (30/7/1966) are still alive.

SteveM70

Established Member
It has been announced that Franz Beckenbauer has died. A great player and another of the 1966 WC finalists to die this year. Only six of the 22 that played that day (30/7/1966) are still alive.

Three men have won the World Cup as both player and manager

Zagalo died on saturday

Beckenbauer died today

I wonder how Didier Deschamps is feeling?!?