• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
More penalty points for Everton??
Potentially.
It will be interesting to see when Man City are similarly charged, for their alleged 115 breaches of Premier League financial rules!
Manchester City have been charged, 115 times. However, the complexity of the collective cases and historic nature means that they will take a considerable time to be heard and for verdicts to be reached. There seems to be a general feeling that the timescale involved will be around 2 years (from now).

Established Member
I was saddened to hear Sven-Goran Eriksson confirm he has terminal pancreatic cancer recently. An appeal has been started to install him as the manager of LFC Legends for their game against Ajax Legends in March, which would help him fulfil his wish of managing Liverpool, one I hope he is granted.

prod_pep

Established Member
I was saddened to hear Sven-Goran Eriksson confirm he has terminal pancreatic cancer recently. An appeal has been started to install him as the manager of LFC Legends for their game against Ajax Legends in March, which would help him fulfil his wish of managing Liverpool, one I hope he is granted.
Yes, sad news about Sven whom I've always found an eminently likeable chap. Let's hope his wish is granted.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I was at the Indonesia vs Iraq game last night at the Asian Cup in Qatar. It was a good game - stadium half full, but very noisy. Iraq ran out worthy 3-1 winners but Indonesia were very combative and good value for their equaliser, the best goal of the game.

Indonesian fans were mostly family groups whereas Iraq had a lot groups of men, it was a curious mix!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Roma have sacked Mourinho! Wonder if he fancies a return to the Premier League?
Which Premier League club would potentially most benefit from Senhor Mourinho's very particular set of skills; skills he's acquired over a very long career? :s

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Which Premier League club would potentially most benefit from Senhor Mourinho's very particular set of skills; skills he's acquired over a very long career? :s

Rumours circulating that he‘s going to work for TfL as a consultant, to help them with their bus parking strategy ;)

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-2 Brentford

A cracking Emirates FA Cup Third Round Proper Replay at a baltic Molineux last night, with us coming from behind twice and eventually win it with a Matheus Cunha penalty in the 5th minute of stoppage time in first half Extra Time.

Just the small matter of a Black Country Derby at 11:45am on Sunday 28th in Round 4!

dangie

Established Member
….Just the small matter of a Black Country Derby at 11:45am on Sunday 28th in Round 4!
West Bromwich Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

I’m a Stoke City supporter (we aren’t bothering with the FA Cup again this year), but I’m really looking forward to this one. Will not only be the tie of the round, but for bragging rights probably the most important of the whole competition.

I only live about 10 miles from Wolverhampton and not much further from West Bromwich. My local pub has supporters of both clubs. Should be some interesting conversations.

Purple Train

Established Member
Well, Swindon are looking for a new manager... ;)

Rather excited by our cup win yesterday against West Ham. Quite the comedy of errors in the build-up to the goal, but I would say we deserved it. Also rather amusing to see all the Hammers labelling us "thugs" - while we were a bit physical (I still need to watch back the alleged red-card-worthy offence from Joe Williams), I think it would be fair to say that all that the West Ham players focused on was the amateur theatrics.

West Bromwich Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

I’m a Stoke City supporter (we aren’t bothering with the FA Cup again this year), but I’m really looking forward to this one. Will not only be the tie of the round, but for bragging rights probably the most important of the whole competition.

I only live about 10 miles from Wolverhampton and not much further from West Bromwich. My local pub has supporters of both clubs. Should be some interesting conversations.
Fully agree on all of that - even if I won’t think that way if Albion do us over again!

We haven’t won at The Hawthorns since 15th September 1996, which was a year and a day before my birth.

It’s time we put that stat to bed!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
We haven’t won at The Hawthorns since 15th September 1996, which was a year and a day before my birth.

And what a day that was. Managed to avoid me and the then girlfriend getting beaten up on the way out as we were walking down Halfords Lane to where she lived - I spotted a few angry looking lads watching to see who came out of the away end, so we crossed the road, and the 3 lads behind us got a pasting. Never been back since.

Established Member
I went to my first non-league match today with a friend of mine who is a Chester supporter. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute, especially as Chester won the game 2-0, against Bishop's Stortford. I'll definitely be making an effort to get to at least one home game a month, particularly when the ticket prices at the Deva Stadium are much more reasonable than those at Anfield. I haven't been to a Liverpool game for some time now because frankly, as much as I love the club, I refuse to spend that much money to watch a football game.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League - Premier Division

Hyde United 5 ... Bradford (Park Avenue) 0

Noticeable that whilst a good number of EFL matches were postponed on account of the pitch being frozen, this league's Premier Division matches mostly had matches on and a crowd of 712 attended this match. Hyde had won their last two matches, both away, scoring four times in each match. Hyde again scored two early goals in the 5th and 12th minutes to go 2-0 up at half time. Hyde then scored three second-half goals in the 48th, 59th and 78th minute and also kept a clean sheet. Still in the top-four in the league.

450.emu

Rumours circulating that he‘s going to work for TfL as a consultant, to help them with their bus parking strategy ;)
Would love to see Mourinho return to Tottenham (Bus Garage) but he'd demand a lot of money to bring in newer talent :E

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League - Premier Division
Noticeable that whilst a good number of EFL matches were postponed on account of the pitch being frozen, this league's Premier Division matches mostly had matches on...
To an extent, that's because use of 3G/4G pitches is (unlike in the EFL) permitted at Northern Premier League level, and so, yesterday, this would have included four of the seven NPL matches that were able to go ahead, i.e. those at Hyde, Ilkeston, Macclesfield and Morpeth.

Thornaby 37

Next Tuesday's League 2 game between Mansfield and Sutton United is already showing as a 0-0 draw according to BBC Teletext
Didn't realise time travel is possible in football

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds 2 Preston 1

Leeds remain the only team unbeaten at home across all 4 leagues. There was a scare as Preston took the lead immediately, before an equaliser came all in the first 5 minutes. Preston were the most anti-football team I have seen for years and unfortunately the officials fell for it, so it was a torrid game to watch. Leeds had plenty of chances but failed to take them, to everyone’s frustration. Eventually, a Preston handball gifted Leeds an obvious penalty in stoppage time, which even the otherwise clueless officials couldn’t deny. Alarmingly, Patrick Bamford picked up the ball to take the penalty, but after much disquiet it was wrestled away from him and duly converted.

The first of 3 home games in a week, with Norwich visiting us on Wednesday evening, and I’m sure they will come with the intention of playing some football, so that will be nice :)

JD2168

A mad end to the game today between Sheffield United & West Ham United where it was 1-2 to West Ham entering injury time, Rhiannon Brewster was sent off for Sheffield United after a bad tackle, Vladimir Coufal got 2 quick yellow cards, a free kick went into the box, Areola for West Ham tries to claim it & gives away a penalty. A few minutes of hold up in which Fabianski came on, McBurnie scored the penalty & just before the ref blew a potential penalty was turned down for West Ham after a bad tackle from Ahmedhodzic.

In the later game Liverpool won 4-0 at Bournemouth.

In Serie A on Saturday evening AC Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan walked off the pitch during the first half after suffering racial abuse from Udinese fans behind his goal. After 10 minutes the game resumed, AC Milan went on to win the game 3-2.

75A

Established Member
See Bayern Munich lost their 1st home game of the seaon, 1-0 to Werder Bremen.
They are 2nd in the table to Bayer Leverkusen, 5 points behind with a game in hand.