• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Falcon1200

Established Member
Wonder how many millions have been spent on that sponsorship over the years, and what proportion of the population still have zero idea what Carabao is

When my team, Oxford United, won the competition way back in 1986 it was the Milk Cup; hopefully most people know what milk is.....
Although I still prefer to think of it as the League Cup!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
When my team, Oxford United, won the competition way back in 1986 it was the Milk Cup; hopefully most people know what milk is.....
Who can ever forget the Milk Marketing Board TV advert from the 1980s making mention of an old-established football club that was no longer in the Football League when that advert was made, featuring two young Liverpool boys and one says to the other...."Ian Rush says if I drink milk, I'll be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley when I grow up"
Which brought about the now-famous response from the other boy..."Accrington Stanley, who are they"

Good to see that once again, Accrington Stanley eventually regained their league status and that John Coleman is still connected with the club.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Wonder how many millions have been spent on that sponsorship over the years, and what proportion of the population still have zero idea what Carabao is
Draft animal used in South East Asia, a kind of buffalo, not sure why they are sponsoring a cup to be honest.

75A

Established Member
Who can ever forget the Milk Marketing Board TV advert from the 1980s making mention of an old-established football club that was no longer in the Football League when that advert was made, featuring two young Liverpool boys and one says to the other...."Ian Rush says if I drink milk, I'll be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley when I grow up"
Which brought about the now-famous response from the other boy..."Accrington Stanley, who are they"

Good to see that once again, Accrington Stanley eventually regained their league status and that John Coleman is still connected with the club.
That advert used to really wind me up, I thought it was really insulting.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Stockport County really need to get their act together after a few winles games. Mansfield are now top, equal on points but with a game in hand which I'm really hoping they'll lose.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

What the boy actually said in the advert was "Ian Rush says if I don't drink enough milk, I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley". This was of course the 1980s, when the revived Accy Stanley were still on their long walk back to the football league following liquidation.

These days, no doubt the objection would be that the advert suggests that milk has some sort of magical property that turns a would-be non-league clogger into a top flight player.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What the boy actually said in the advert was "Ian Rush says if I don't drink enough milk, I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley". This was of course the 1980s, when the revived Accy Stanley were still on their long walk back to the football league following liquidation.

These days, no doubt the objection would be that the advert suggests that milk has some sort of magical property that turns a would-be non-league clogger into a top flight player.
Thanks for the correction. I've been remembering the wrong words for years... :oops:

Incidentally, when did the gill-sized bottles of milk first become an integral part of school life and what was the reason given for its introduction there?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Incidentally, when did the gill-sized bottles of milk first become an integral part of school life and what was the reason given for its introduction there?
Introduced just after WW2 pursuant to The Education Act, 1944. Would have been seen as a means to help children stay healthy during a time when food was still rationed. Fairly sure they were one-third pint bottles, not a gill, which is a quarter-pint, and so slightly smaller.

SteveM70

Established Member
Introduced just after WW2 pursuant to The Education Act, 1944. Would have been seen as a means to help children stay healthy during a time when food was still rationed. Fairly sure they were one-third pint bottles, not a gill, which is a quarter-pint, and so slightly smaller.

They were certainly a third of a pint in the 1970s, and directly caused my subsequent lifelong aversion to milk

75A

Established Member
I was averse to it before School, and my Mother often sent me in with a note saying under no circumstances was I to have it.
Even the smell (particularly if heated) will make me vomit.

SteveM70

Established Member
I was averse to it before School, and my Mother often sent me in with a note saying under no circumstances was I to have it.
Even the smell (particularly if heated) will make me vomit.

At our school the milk was delivered at breakfast time and then kept for use at break, maybe 4 hours later. They kept it in the boiler room. It was revolting, but drinking it was compulsory, and I remember a teacher leaning over me and threatening me with a trip to the heads office (aka getting hit with something) if I didn't comply. I believe my mum went in and complained but to no avail

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With all of you lot so averse to drinking milk, I'm now wondering how it took so long for Accrington Stanley to regain their place in the football league! :lol:

dangie

Established Member
At our school the milk was delivered at breakfast time and then kept for use at break, maybe 4 hours later. They kept it in the boiler room.…
In the winter we had to put the milk bottles onto the radiator to thaw them out. The milk had frozen and expanded so the tops were no longer on the bottles.
I believe my mum went in and complained but to no avail….
Parents never dared (or even thought) about complaining back in my 1950’s school days.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm now wondering how it took so long for Accrington Stanley to regain their place in the football league! :lol:
The previous Accrington Stanley resigned mid season from the Football League in March 1962 before folding a few years later. A new/revived Accrington Stanley club was then re-formed in 1968 and eventually gained promotion up to the English Football League in 2006.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The previous Accrington Stanley resigned mid season from the Football League in March 1962 before folding a few years later. A new/revived Accrington Stanley club was then re-formed in 1968 and eventually gained promotion up to the English Football League in 2006.
Don't go suggesting that Phoenix clubs aren't at least a spiritual continuation of the former club... you'll attract the ire of some of our regulars... ;)

I was gently attempting to bring us back on topic, I clearly failed!

75A

Established Member
Half an hour to go and the score @ Kenilworth Road is Luton 2 Erling Haaland 5.
Remarkable

Remarkable
It finished 2-6, and no Haaland didn't get a double hat trick Kuvacic got the sixth.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Curzon Ashton 1 v Darlington 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We never get anything there. Except tonight. 3 points from safety. It might be on.

Didn't realise you had Will Hatfield. He played a season for us about 10 years ago and looked a really decent little player, just a bit lightweight and sometimes got bullied off the ball. We had Tom Platt on loan too, but I can't remember a thing about him

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Remarkable

It finished 2-6, and no Haaland didn't get a double hat trick Kuvacic got the sixth.
In a February FA Cup Match, way back in 1970, another Manchester club player, George Best scored six goals in Manchester United's 8-2 win over Northampton Town.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Didn't realise you had Will Hatfield. He played a season for us about 10 years ago and looked a really decent little player, just a bit lightweight and sometimes got bullied off the ball. We had Tom Platt on loan too, but I can't remember a thing about him
Hatfield is SUPERB. A class act. he must have filled out a bit then as he is a good midfielder. Great engine, good vision, moves the ball well and a good shot. We had him, sold him to Fleetwood so he could go full time and then got him back on a free. Fan favourite with Darlo.

Platt is a tank. Solid defensive midfield unit. Has really stepped up in class in the last couple of months having looked all over the place before xmas. Actually playing like the captain now.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Remarkable

One of those games where you feel slightly sorry for Luton, who didn't play anywhere near as badly as the scoreline suggests.

They may be out of the cup, but I really hope they can dig themselves out of the relegation zone in the Prem, they deserve to stay up based on effort

75A

Established Member
One of those games where you feel slightly sorry for Luton, who didn't play anywhere near as badly as the scoreline suggests.

They may be out of the cup, but I really hope they can dig themselves out of the relegation zone in the Prem, they deserve to stay up based on effort
They certainly grafted tonight, I hope they do stay up.

dangie

Established Member
Once again Stoke City Manager Steven Schumacher has given some wonderful football knowledge.

From the BBC:
In two key areas of the game we haven't been good enough….’

Let me guess…… attacking & defending.

SJL2020

In a February FA Cup Match, way back in 1970, another Manchester club player, George Best scored six goals in Manchester United's 8-2 win over Northampton Town.
Much more relevant surely is the 6 goals that Dennis Law scored for City away at Luton in the 1961 FA Cup.

Sadly, the match was abandoned in the 69th minute due to torrential rain.

Law scored again in the replay, but Luton won 3-1.

So Law scored 7 goals but still was on the losing side.

This for a club that apparently has no history.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Once again Stoke City Manager Steven Schumacher has given some wonderful football knowledge.

From the BBC:

Yes, it's all well and good having the lions share of possession, but please do something useful with it. We seem to lack any will to even try and score. And when we do lose possession, the default method of getting the ball back seems to be by allowing the opposition to score...

Haywain

Veteran Member

From the BBC:

Had you forgotten that you posted this on Sunday as well?

dangie

Established Member
Had you forgotten that you posted this on Sunday as well?
Whoops you are correct.
I re-read the BBC match report this morning (suppose I was hoping for a better result). I’d forgotten I’d already commented. Blame old age :D

Mind you, I’ll probably be posting something similar following this Saturdays upcoming defeat against Middlesbrough.

SteveM70

Established Member
Hatfield is SUPERB. A class act. he must have filled out a bit then as he is a good midfielder. Great engine, good vision, moves the ball well and a good shot. We had him, sold him to Fleetwood so he could go full time and then got him back on a free. Fan favourite with Darlo.

Platt is a tank. Solid defensive midfield unit. Has really stepped up in class in the last couple of months having looked all over the place before xmas. Actually playing like the captain now.

Hatfield would have been about 22/23 I guess and came into a side that wasn't doing that well, and the national league was very physical back then, I think a lot more than it is now.