• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Established Member
Well the usual farce that is Arsenal continues unabated today, they sold Robin Van Persie for £24 million. At least this time they sold the player before the season started.

Now Man Utd will have to purchase an additional Doctor and and Physio just for RVP, After spending the best par of Eight years at Arsenal on the treatment table.

Sad news about former Arsenal player Fabrice Muamba having to retire so early in his career, but i think it is the right decision for him and his life. I would certainly hope that the club have a tesimonial for him i would certainly go to that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
But he wanted to go anyway, even if he'd stayed it could have turned into an undignified Tevez-style dispute between player and club. Nevertheless I don't understand why Arsenal would sell their best player and top goalscorer to a rival team!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Now Man Utd will have to purchase an additional Doctor and and Physio just for RVP, After spending the best par of Eight years at Arsenal on the treatment table.

You seem to have forgotten that he was Arsenal's only ever present player in the PL last season.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well the usual farce that is Arsenal continues unabated today, they sold Robin Van Persie for £24 million. At least this time they sold the player before the season started.

Manchester United did quite well with the last centre forward from the Netherlands they bought, as he scored a good number of goals in the European competitions for them, in addition to those goals that he scored in the Premiership. He too had the word "van" in his name.

Johnuk123

Established Member
My wife used to say to me - "You're so good looking you look like Van Persie"

Now she says I look more like Persie's van.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
For all those who are (still) going on about how profesisonal Olympians are and how bad they make footballers look, I suggest you read this, it says a lot oif what I want to:

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fansey...dog-house-while-we-re-wooed-by-olympians.aspx

FFT / Ben Welsh said:
Bad-boy football in the dog-house while we're wooed by Olympians

Right now, football is in the bad books. Like a cheating lover, it’s on its knees begging for forgiveness from us, the loyal partner who has stuck by it through thick and thin, but grown tired of it taking us for granted.
We even resorted to standing football up, as was evident in the number of empty seats at Villa Park for the Community Shield.
We, the fans, have had our heads turned by a new man. A loyal, brave and selfless knight in shining armour: The Olympics.
As Team GB won the hearts and minds of the nation with their heroics during the London 2012 Games, we’ve all started to question why we’re so attracted to the self-centred, egotistical pig that is football.
But in truth, we’ve all been duped. Seduced by the feelgood wave sweeping over the nation, we’ve turned a blind eye to the misdemeanours of some athletes and turned on our childhood sweetheart.
Yes, the incredible achievements of Mo Farah & Co. deserve all the plaudits they get. They trained hard, sacrificed a lot and delivered under pressure. It was inspiring. The peerless performances and showmanship of Usain Bolt were enrapturing. He’s just the sort of cheeky chappy with genuine charisma that football is crying out for.
But did we forget about Belarusian shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk, who was stripped of her gold medal after failing a drugs test? What about the eight badminton players who were disqualified for throwing games? And the 75-minute strop thrown by South Korean fencer Shin A-lam when she lost her semi-final?

While the public sympathised with her, they were quick to brand William Gallas a petulant brat when he sat disconsolately on the turf at Birmingham after a stoppage-time penalty dented Arsenal’s title hopes in 2010.
Don’t forget Algeria's Taoufik Makhloufi, who was ejected from the Olympics for not trying in the 800m so he could concentrate on the 1500m final. Consider the footballing equivalent. When Wolves fielded a below-strength side in their match against Manchester United at Old Trafford two years ago they were hit with a £25,000 suspended fine.
And just like footballers, Olympians love a good bit of filth. According to one report in a national newspaper, those two glorious weeks in August were full of “Womanising sprinters at strip clubs, kinky foursomes and female athletes begging for sex”. Hope Solo, goalkeeper for the gold medal-winning American women's football team, said: “I’ve seen people having sex out in the open, getting down and dirty on the grass between buildings.”
I’m fully aware there are plenty of stories of footballers failing drugs tests, sh*gging just about anything with a pulse (including grannies) and taking bungs, but when you look at the vast number of professionals playing the game across the globe, it’s a small minority that are tarnishing the game. The same also goes for the Olympic athletes, but their accomplishments and failures get seen through a different prism of morality – as does their dedication to training and self-improvement.
The gruelling training regimes and sacrifices endured by the athletes has been celebrated and admired by the journalists and fans alike, prompting an evaluation of how hard footballers graft for their vast wages.
You can’t compare the two worlds. Footballers train for two 90-minute games per week; if we want them to churn out the 120 miles Mo Farah runs a week, we can expect to be see more injuries and less ability. Elite athletes train smart, with the mechanics of their respective sports in mind.
Last season Leo Messi played 60 games for club and country. He is expected to deliver on the highest stage, week-in week-out. Athletics’ box office star Bolt may run 10 times a season during a non-championship year and his races last between 10 and 20 seconds. I’m not undermining his achievements – he’s one of the greatest athletes of all time – but you can’t say he or anyone else works harder than a footballer, they just work differently.

Oswyntail

Established Member
For all those who are (still) going on about how profesisonal Olympians are and how bad they make footballers look, I suggest you read this, it says a lot oif what I want to:....
The trouble is that, however you dress it, Olympic athletes generally gave their sports a good reputation, footballers generally - from top to grass roots - don't. I lost count of the number of times beaten sportsmen came up to congratulate the winners, smiling; the articulate interviews, sometimes in the most difficult circumstances, and unswervingly polite. They may be drug-crazed sex-fiends out of the public eye, but they knew that they were representing their sport to the world and responded accordingly. Compare that with the moronic public image that footballers put across. Anyone who has had their legitimate use of a sports field disrupted by footballer wanting their kickabout and calling non-footballers "f*****g w*****s" when they complained will know that this is true down to grass-roots. Football, IMHO, has become much too big for its own grubby boots, and, once they don the tasteful shirts, perfectly decent pleasant people seem to buy in to this.

Established Member
You seem to have forgotten that he was Arsenal's only ever present player in the PL last season.

That my friend is the irony of it all. Eight seasons at Arsenal only one season where he played every league game. so i could say have you forgotten the previous seven years.

I have often thought what it would have been like if Arsenal had a fit Van Persie. He has one good season when the rest of the team decide to play its worse.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Good move by Arsenal in the bigger picture I think. He's 29 now (so maybe has three excellent seasons left before he begins to lose his shine, like Brazilian Ronaldo and Thierry Henry did), plus only had one year left on his contract - £24,000,000 is better than £0. When Fabregas left, people thought that was it - it wasn't, Arsenal are still up there, and I think that if the new players settle in rather quickly, RvP will become a distant memory. TBH I think the Gunners' biggest loss over the past decade was Gilberto Silva: him and Claude Makelele are still the two best defensive midfielders the EPL (maybe even the world) has ever seen, they revolutionised the position and were massive cornerstones in their teams, and at Ashburton Grove (AKA the Emirates) was never replaced.

In job news, it has been confirmed that the 68 doctors and other medical staff who lost became redundant with van Persie's departure have moved with Louis Saha to Sunderland.

SS4

Established Member
Ben Welsh has a very weak argument, the community shield is a joke and fans wouldn't flock to see it anyway - better to check against the first round of the new season.

Besides the sacred turf of Villa Park is far too good for the likes of Chelsea and Man City fans ;)

Clip

Established Member
There was something similar to that 442 story in the standard on thursday night - canny good read if you can find it online sitll

Oswyntail

Established Member
Last night Hyde hosted Luton Town in the Conference, their first real tester of the season. The visiting fans (including Mrs O) were impressed with the ground and organisation, and especially the fine quality of the pitch. The game was finely balanced at first, and Hyde managed to take the lead, but eventually it seemed that greater fitness and skill won out, and the Hatters took the match 2-1. Though much of the match was played in the Hyde half, they were well organised in defence and it was by no means an easy win. A promising side was Mrs O's verdict.

SS4

Established Member
Ref, take your Hammers shirt off!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
He needs to let the fourth official take over and cart himself over to specsaver's immediately. Linesman is just as bad

Oswyntail

Established Member
Ref, take your Hammers shirt off!
He needs to let the fourth official take over and cart himself over to specsaver's immediately. Linesman is just as bad
And so it begins. "Respect" only applies to everyone else, it seems. I look forward to nine months of "we wuz robbed".
The sport gets the officials it deserves. If they are poorly trained or perform badly, it is because the sport itself does not give them proper priority.

SS4

Established Member
And so it begins. "Respect" only applies to everyone else, it seems. I look forward to nine months of "we wuz robbed".
The sport gets the officials it deserves. If they are poorly trained or perform badly, it is because the sport itself does not give them proper priority.

To get respect you need accountability. It is impossible to respect such a ludicrous decision.
I've no respect for homers. None at all - it's a lack of spine.

Last edited:

ACE1888

Lucky to come away with a point in the Highlands today Ross County 1-1 Celtic ,Kris Commons 10 seconds before the final whistle, fair play to The Staggies, deserved point.

richw

Veteran Member
Swansea and Fulham both won their respective games 5-0, Glad to see Laudrup keeping the style at the Swans.

Butts

Veteran Member
Swansea and Fulham both won their respective games 5-0, Glad to see Laudrup keeping the style at the Swans.

What about Liverpool losing 3-0 to West Brom a few years ago this would have been inconceivable.

For people of my generation this pitiful capitulation renders the current side a shadow of the previous era.

Has Liverpools goose been cooked for good - it all started when Alonso was allowed to leave. From challenging for the title they have become also rans :oops:

WelshBluebird

Established Member

For the respect thing to work though, officiating needs to be sorted out. The inconstancy that is in the game right now when it comes to decisions is downright ridiculous. As a fan, I fail to see how I can "respect" an official who seems to make decisions totally at random! As a quick example, if kicking a ball away to waste time is a yellow card then it should always be a yellow card, not just every now and again.

Last edited:

David

Established Member
Back to earth with a big bang for Scunthorpe United, losing 3-0 away to Crawley <D

Insult was added to injury, when Johnathon Forte scored the 3rd for them, a man who couldn't hit a barn door at 10 paces while at Scunthorpe United!

Ferret

Established Member
Bring back Mcleish :lol:

Don't you dare. Unless you're bringing him back to face a firing squad. I reckon both Villa fans and Blues fans would like to give him a good kicking for the ****e he subjected us all too.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Let us all remember it is the very early part of the season and some managers may look to other members of their squad to try to strengthen weaknesses that became evident in todays matches.

Fleetwood Town did not disgrace themselves in their first match in the Football League, with a 0-0 home draw in front of over 3,000 against Torquay United.

gnolife

Established Member
Well, my lot (Altrincham) got off to an excellent start to the season against newly promoted Brackley Town. Gianluca Havern (defender) got injured walking onto the pitch for the first half. Went in at the break drawing 1-1, with an excellent goal from Duncan Watmore (who I don't think will spend too much longer with us) leveling the score after a dubious penalty gave Brackley the lead in the 20th minute. Went in at full-time 4-1 down :(

Clip

Established Member
Fantastic result against the spuds today :)

oh and also LOLerpool