• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

CC 72100

Established Member
Congrats to Munich. Great game, poor refereeing decision to not send Dante off.... and to think Nani got a red for that. The ref bottled it there, he had to go. Never good to see. Both keepers were fantastic for the most part, as was Robben.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A most enthralling cup final at Wembley. There was more total commitment shown by both teams in this match by two German sides in comparison to that shown by both the two English sides in the FA Cup Final on the same pitch very recently.

Best atmosphere I think I've seen in Wembley since re-opening tonight....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I didn't think Dante should have been sent off, Ribbery maybe? Decent game that could have gone either way but defencive lapses cost Dortmund

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I didn't see the presentation, but did Robben pass the trophy to anyone or try and keep it all to himself like he usually does?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
To go from the sublime....to matters much lower down the football pyramid....I looked at how Fort William were faring in the Highland League and saw that they had played Brora Rangers a week ago and it must have been yet another depressing half-time that ended with them being 8-0 down, but matters must have improved in the second half as they scored at least one goal, if not two, depending which match report you read. Unfortunately, Brora Rangers scored four more goals leaving the final score (allowing for the better goals scored tally of two by Fort William) as...

Brora Rangers 12...Fort William 2

Yesterday saw them play their final game of the season, with home advantage at Claggan Park, against Lossiemouth FC, the team immediately above them in the league and amazingly, with two sides having a very poor understanding of a tight defence normally compounded by a forward line not renowned for goalscoring, a 0-0 draw ensued. The Highland League season is now over for another season and Fort William have yet again finished bottom with a record that shows...

P34...W1..D3..L30...F20...A126......PTS 6

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Watching the last few minutes of The Scottish Cup Final....

Celtic winning 3-0 and Hibs down and out - Leigh Griffiths nowhere to be seen and now substituted :p

Well done Neil Lennon doing "the double" and a 36th Scottish Cup Win.

ACE1888

Celtic winning 3-0 and Hibs down and out - Leigh Griffiths nowhere to be seen and now substituted :p

First goal was crucial, Forster made a good save at 0-0, but it was basically 'one way traffic' once we had scored. A fine end to the season, in which we won the SPL, Scottish Cup and made the last 16 of the Champions League :D

ReverendFozz

Arsenal Women won the FA Cup, 3-0 against Bristol Academy, goals from Steph Houghton, Jordan Nobbs and Ellen White...

One low point was Lucy Staniforth going down after what looked like a twisted kneecap, horrible moment seeing her scream in agony and crying, mustn't be too bad though she was back at full time for the Presentatiom

Marxista Fozz

Oswyntail

Established Member
.... The Highland League season is now over for another season and Fort William have yet again finished bottom with a record that shows...

P34...W1..D3..L30...F20...A126......PTS 6
IIRC this is quite an improvement on last season - a 20% increase in points (haven't checked) and about 20 improvement in GD. Their post-season dinner should be a real celebration.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
IIRC this is quite an improvement on last season - a 20% increase in points (haven't checked) and about 20 improvement in GD. Their post-season dinner should be a real celebration.

It most probably be a team squad get-together for a "big take-away order" at Sammy's world-renowned Fish and Chip Shop on Kilmallie Road....:D
***************************************************************************************

Coppa Italia final

The all-Rome derby ended with Lazio beating A.S.Roma 1-0

gnolife

Established Member
I'm expecting next season to be interesting for Alty - we've sold one of our best young players, Duncan Watmore, to Sunderland for an undisclosed fee... :( . I'm just hoping we can get a decent replacement for him.

Eng274

Hibs were outplayed, of that there is no doubt (grudgingly). Was good to see the self-titled "greatest fans in the world" being out-sung by the fantastic Hibs support even right at the end.

For me this season has been hit and miss for Hibs, we had an encouraging start then went into the traditional post Christmas slump, only to get it together too little too late to stay in the top six, finishing in seventh with more points than sixth place thanks to the barmy split rules. With more players on the way out, probably including Sparky (Leigh Griffiths) Pat Fenlon will have a task on his hands to replace with equal if not better quality for next season, which begins in mid July with the Europa league qualifiers. There are promising prospects in the form of Alex Harris and Jordon Forster emerging, it would be good to see them feature more next season.

Being unbeaten against the Saviles this season was another bonus, and seeing them on the brink of financial castration was inevitable and entertaining. The kids piggy banks were raided to keep them solvent over Christmas, will the summer holiday funds and cake sales be enough to tide them over..?

Butts

Veteran Member
Hibs were outplayed, of that there is no doubt (grudgingly). Was good to see the self-titled "greatest fans in the world" being out-sung by the fantastic Hibs support even right at the end.

Being unbeaten against the Saviles this season was another bonus, and seeing them on the brink of financial castration was inevitable and entertaining. The kids piggy banks were raided to keep them solvent over Christmas, will the summer holiday funds and cake sales be enough to tide them over..?

At least your support were still there at the end this year unlike last year :lol:

Sounds like your still bitter about last May's 5-1 thrashing by the "saviles" in the final.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'd enjoy that 5-1 for a long time if I was them, could be the last decent thing that will ever happen to Hearts...

158>185 can be bitter all he wants (though it didn't read to me like that), at least his team will 99.9% likely still exist this time next year, I'd be wary if I was a Jambo.

Eng274

At least your support were still there at the end this year unlike last year :lol:

Sounds like your still bitter about last May's 5-1 thrashing by the "saviles" in the final.

No bitterness, certainly not after Hibs dumped them out of the cup before christmas, and giving them the shortest scottish cup reign in the tournament's history :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
No bitterness, certainly not after Hibs dumped them out of the cup before christmas, and giving them the shortest scottish cup reign in the tournament's history :lol:

It's a shame theres no one alive who can remember last time Hibs won the Scottish Cup - 1902 was it not :p

Eng274

It's a shame theres no one alive who can remember last time Hibs won the Scottish Cup - 1902 was it not :p

That weary old chestnut.. But we will at least be around to have a chance of winning it again!

Are you still hoping for the 51,000 seat super stadium, champions league trophy and world class superstars that vlad promised you and the 399,999 other fans he thinks hearts have? :lol:

Antman

Established Member
In other news, Crystal Palace have been relegated from the 2013-14 Premier League.

Thats a certainty, I wouldn't be suprised if Cardiff and Hull go with them.

Should be two up/down from the Prem, its just too big a gap

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thats a certainty, I wouldn't be suprised if Cardiff and Hull go with them.

Should be two up/down from the Prem, its just too big a gap

Worst crop of promoted teams the PL has had in a while. Cardiff I think could just about hold their ground; Hull I think got in by sheer luck and Crystal Palace will need Murray back desperately and find a replacement for Zaha pronto. If we are going down that road, I'd perhaps have two automatically relegated from the PL, then 18th in the PL and 3rd in the Championship play each other and the winner is allowed into the PL for the next season. Would certainly remove a lot of complacency from PL teams who narrowly escape relegation.

I thought it was Butts who had the sole rights to the RailUK crystal ball....:D

You forget Paul, I predicted the Champions League finalists 2 months before they got there ;)

Antman

Established Member
But also remember that all the teams from about 8 downwards in the PL were struggling against relegation for most of the season. Are these three any worse than them?

Outside the top six any team could be relegated.

Wigan are a loss to the Prem, great side on thir day as they proved in the FA Cup final. The three poor sides promoted will probably mean poor sides like Fulham Norwich Stoke and West Ham will be safe from relegation.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You forget Paul, I predicted the Champions League finalists 2 months before they got there ;)

Matt, I made a posting about the two finalists when known that referred back to your most excellent prediction. I always give credit where it is due.

Incidentally, what do you think of Gary Bowyer's appointment as manager of Blackburn Rovers ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Outside the top six any team could be relegated.

Wigan are a loss to the Prem, great side on thir day as they proved in the FA Cup final. The three poor sides promoted will probably mean poor sides like Fulham Norwich Stoke and West Ham will be safe from relegation.

However every other Premier League team (and most past) are a great team on their day, see Norwich v WBA and Man City this month. Although it is far too early to call, I don't expect West Brom, West Ham, Newcastle and perhaps Swansea to struggle next season.

Matt, I made a posting about the two finalists when known that referred back to your most excellent prediction. I always give credit where it is due.

Incidentally, what do you think of Gary Bowyer's appointment as manager of Blackburn Rovers ?

I know you did, I was saying you seemed to forget I've had the crystal ball previously ;)

Should never have sacked Sam Allerdyce. That is all.

familyguy99

I see Rafa Benitez will be new manager at Napoli if Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis is right.

Rafa Benitez: Napoli president says Spaniard is club's new boss

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis says Rafa Benitez has been appointed the club's new manager.

Benitez, 53, had been looking for a new job with his contract as interim Chelsea manager ending this summer.

De Laurentiis posted a picture of the pair shaking hands on Twitter and told followers: "Rafa Benitez is the new coach of Napoli. A man of great international experience. A leader."

Benitez will replace Walter Mazzarri, who has joined Serie A rivals Inter.

Napoli finished second in Serie A, behind Juventus, and will be in the Champions League next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22684637
Also I see Bury fc have been saved.

BURY FC: Shakers saved after takeover completed - Blackwell's job

THE future of Bury FC looks secure after a takeover of the club was completed this afternoon (24th May)

The Shakers have announced paperwork is formally complete and the takeover sees the current chairman Brian Fenton and board of directors resign with immediate effect to make way for new board members to be appointed in the coming days.

It is hoped it will all be confirmed by Wednesday to allow wages and loans obtained to be fully repaid, and allow the club to move forward.

A statement issued by Bury today also confirmed the incoming board members are 100 per cent behind manager Kevin Blackwell who looks set to stay at Gigg Lane next season.

Good luck to Bury in League Two next season then :)

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I thought it was Butts who had the sole rights to the RailUK crystal ball....:D

Quite correct although it does "cloud over" on occasion :roll:

Congratulations to Matt on his CL Finalists prediction - did he also correctly forecast the eventual winners Bayern Munich :p
In other news, Crystal Palace have been relegated from the 2013-14 Premier League.

At least they will take £60odd Million down with them if they go :lol:

Do you think "Ollie" is going to repeat his Blackpool experience ?