• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Breaking news on BBC Sport

Everton have reached an agreement with Wigan over compensation for Roberto Martinez, who is expected to succeed David Moyes as Toffees manager.

The 39-year-old Spaniard is thought to have been Everton's first choice to replace Moyes, who signed a six-year contract to manage Manchester United.

Martinez said last month he would leave Wigan after four years at the helm.

"Bill Kenwright [Everton chairman] and myself have agreed a deal," Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told BBC Sport

Liam

Established Member
Airdrie United's 'more traditional' name is Clydebank F.C.

VTPreston_Tez

Not a mention of top class winger Chris Humphrey denying the Europa League, Rangers, most likely promoted Reading and Wolves for measly little Preston.
Mind, I'm buzzing about the whole thing...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Airdrie United's 'more traditional' name is Clydebank F.C.

Agreed, but I think that the movers behind this scheme were mindful of the Airdrieonians football entity from its original start in 1878 to its dissolution in 2002 with all the history of that club in both League and Cup competitions.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

After quite lengthy discussions, Roberto Martinez has finally been appointed as the replacement for David Moyes at Everton.

Last edited:

Robinson

Manchester City are not letting the grass grow under their feet and have now signed the Brazilian midfielder, Fernandinho, from Shakhtar Donetsk for a fee stated to be in the region of £30 million.

And all this while we still don't actually have confirmation AFAIK regarding who's going to be their manager...

Butts

Veteran Member
Stone the crows Scotland are leading Croatia 1-0 in Zargreb at half-time with an Ian Snodgrass strike.

This is Wigan v Man City FA Cup Final territory :lol:

Sure it won't last to 90 Mins :oops:

On live BBC 2 Scotland.

Robinson

Typical Scotland :roll: Lose every match that matters, then suddenly put in an inspired performance the minute we can't qualify any more...

Sorry to be a pessimist...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Of course Scotland were the first of all 53 UEFA nations in the Qualification stages to go out...

Though, to be fair they've probably gained a lot of fans in Brussels tonight.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Okay, no need to rub it in :p

Not my intention at all. If I was rubbing it in I'd state the fact that San Marino, a country 5 times the size of Falkirk with less population than Greenock or Airdrie lasted longer than them. On a national scale, Scotland is 1267 times its size with 165x more people. Now them's facts!

Liam

Established Member
Robbie Keane scored his 57th, 58th and 59th international goals tonight on his record 126th cap for Ireland. Incredible record at international level.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Manchester United's manager David Moyes has made his first close season signing by signing 20 year old Guillermo Varela from Atletico Penarol for a fee yet to be disclosed. This will had another cover for the right-back position that Rafael covered for most of last season.

My own League club, Oldham Athletic, can only dream of bringing in such young talented South American players and usually settle for negotiating a better close-season deal on the pies, crisps, etc, with their suppliers....:roll:

Is anyone watching the U21 Euro Championships on at the moment?

I was really impressed with Norway's performance against Israel on Wednesday; I think Israel are rubbish, but some of the chances and play Norway produced looked top draw. I fancy them to at least hold England to a draw tomorrow.

Antman

Established Member
Robbie Keane scored his 57th, 58th and 59th international goals tonight on his record 126th cap for Ireland. Incredible record at international level.

Yes I heard mention of that on the radio, I honestly thought Robbie Keane had retired but clearly not:D

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes I heard mention of that on the radio, I honestly thought Robbie Keane had retired but clearly not:D

You obviously did not see the Republic of Ireland v England friendly the other week where he appeared albeit rather less successfully in terms of goals at least :p

Antman

Established Member
You obviously did not see the Republic of Ireland v England friendly the other week where he appeared albeit rather less successfully in terms of goals at least :p

Indeed I didn't...........I really can't get too excited about friendly matches at any level

VTPreston_Tez

Liverpool fans get it rough. First the trouble getting to Wembley not too long ago, now their fans can't get the train to Preston for the Bill Shankly commemoration match because the line's blocked.

ReverendFozz

Indeed I didn't...........I really can't get too excited about friendly matches at any level

I am the same regarding friendlies, although I do enjoy high profile games i.e when England play Germany and looking forward to the Scotland game in a few months, as I have never seen many games between the 2 in my lifetime, as I only started watching football in the 1989/1990 season the only games between the 2 I remember are Euro 96 and Euro 2000 Qualifying Play Offs, so I am eager to watch that friendly, if it can be called a Friendly, lol.

As for club friendlies, I am not too fussed about them, seen a few, Sunderland v Porto(I think, as Bobby Robson brought a team over) in about 1995 and since then only attended 4 friendlies

York 0 v 2 Darlington(2006)
Hearts 1 v 1 Sunderland(2009)
Darlington 0 v 1 Sunderland(2010)
Seaham Red Star 1 v 4 Darlington(2012)

I may turn out for a few friendlies this pre season if the finances permit

Marxista Fozz

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Is anyone watching the U21 Euro Championships on at the moment? I was really impressed with Norway's performance against Israel on Wednesday; I think Israel are rubbish, but some of the chances and play Norway produced looked top draw.

I fancy them to at least hold England to a draw tomorrow.

The match result today...

England U-21...1.....Norway U-21...3

GWRtom

Well today made it quite clear, that that the England team have no future. if that's the state of the U21's