• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

richw

Veteran Member
Well today made it quite clear, that that the England team have no future. if that's the state of the U21's

Not necessarily agree. Many of the premiership teams refused to release players who are part of their first team for the under 21 tournament. The clubs don't have such an option for international first teams.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As a long suffering Wolves fan I am just glad that there seems to have been a little bit of thought gone into the process for once. I've seen the bloke already get some stick off idiot Wolves fans. As with all our managers, I'm willing to give him a chance until, again as with all our managers, he proves his incompetence. :p

I am looking forward to Oldham Athletic "crossing swords" in League 1 next season with Wolverhampton Wanderers, as it was season 1996/7 when they last met in League 1. Being somewhat mischievous, can I remind you of the scores in the two league matches in that particular season...:D

Saturday, 14th December 1996
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0...Oldham Athletic...1

Saturday, 15th March 1997
Oldham Athletic 3...Wolverhampton Wanderers...2

Both our teams now have a new manager at the helm.

David

Established Member
Moving on to the very mundane League 2 (:cry:), Brian Laws has been very busy so far. Apart from deciding who he was releasing and who he wanted to offer new contracts to, he's been busy signing players and staff for next season.

Andy Dawson rejoins the club on a free from Hull City as a player/coach. Chris Iwelumo joins on a free after being released by Watford.
Gainsborough Trinity pair Luke Waterfall and Terry Hawkridge sign for fees yet to be decided, as they are both under 24 and rejected new contracts.
Also, the BBC is reporting that Andy Welsh is close to signing after being released by Carlisle.
Paul Musslewhite also signs for the club for the 3rd time, this time as the goalkeeping coach.

Of the players offered new contracts, so far only Michael Collins has signed, with Jimmy Ryan opting to sign for Chesterfield instead.

In other news, Tom Newey has also been released following the arrival of Andy Dawson, and Mike Grella had a trial at DC United after being told he is free to find another club.

VTPreston_Tez

Well today made it quite clear, that that the England team have no future. if that's the state of the U21's

That's partially because Pearce isn't playing the best keeper! Declan Rudd is, without much argument, the best keeper on the team by far. He's conceded, I think 8 or 9 goals in the second half of the season, and can save an Odemwingie penalty.
While we're at it with Preston, why don't we call up Will Hayhurst before Ireland make him a full international, or at least Jeffrey Monakana? They could quite easily have completely decimated Italy and Norway's defence.

Logic 1 - 0 Stuart Pearce

I am looking forward to Oldham Athletic "crossing swords" in League 1 next season with Wolverhampton Wanderers, as it was season 1996/7 when they last met in League 1. Being somewhat mischievous, can I remind you of the scores in the two league matches in that particular season...:D

Saturday, 14th December 1996
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0...Oldham Athletic...1

Saturday, 15th March 1997
Oldham Athletic 3...Wolverhampton Wanderers...2

Both our teams now have a new manager at the helm.

I see you've lost Matt Smith today. Didn't see much League One last year (will this year :( ) however I was taken with his performances in the FA Cup. Will be a big loss for you I think.

83G/84D

Established Member
Moving on to the very mundane League 2 (:cry:), Brian Laws has been very busy so far. Apart from deciding who he was releasing and who he wanted to offer new contracts to, he's been busy signing players and staff for next season.

Andy Dawson rejoins the club on a free from Hull City as a player/coach. Chris Iwelumo joins on a free after being released by Watford.
Gainsborough Trinity pair Luke Waterfall and Terry Hawkridge sign for fees yet to be decided, as they are both under 24 and rejected new contracts.
Also, the BBC is reporting that Andy Welsh is close to signing after being released by Carlisle.
Paul Musslewhite also signs for the club for the 3rd time, this time as the goalkeeping coach.

Of the players offered new contracts, so far only Michael Collins has signed, with Jimmy Ryan opting to sign for Chesterfield instead.

In other news, Tom Newey has also been released following the arrival of Andy Dawson, and Mike Grella had a trial at DC United after being told he is free to find another club.

Nice to keep in touch with life outside the Premier League & as a supporter of a Leauge 2 club I am interested to see who will sign much experienced Jamie Cureton after his release by Exeter City.

He is still a good player despite his age and could still play in League 1 and score regularly, so I am a little suprised he has not been snapped up by the likes of Fleetwood, Rotherham Utd or Cheltenham Town.

The football may not be that good in League 2 compared with the Championship or Premier League but is very competitive as the tables at the end of last season show.

Any predictions of who is going to do well in League's 1 &2 next season?

A bit unfair I suppose as it is still a while away and clubs have not made many signings yet but interested to know your thoughts.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Cureton is a cracking player at L2 level. I personally hope he gets a move to L1 - if only to stop him scoring the winner against Rochdale...

As for who'll do well in L2 next year, Brizzle R were the form team for the second half of the season, while Chelts and Chesterfield will be strong again. Dale could be up there if their youngsters develope quickly, whilst I fancy Newport to have a good season.

Relegation - AFC Wimbledon look weak, Dagenham will miss John Still's wise managament while Accy Stanley have a novice manager who may lack nouse.

richw

Veteran Member
Sadly Exeter couldn't afford to keep Cureton, Tisdale came out and announced that at the end of the season that the wage bill needed significantly reducing.

83G/84D

Established Member
Sadly Exeter couldn't afford to keep Cureton, Tisdale came out and announced that at the end of the season that the wage bill needed significantly reducing.

Another player let go by City was Mark Moseley. He looked a useful player at Plymouth and fans of Argyle were sad to see him go. Didn't quite play as well in the 2nd half of the season though. I think City will really struggle this season.

It will be really interesting to see how Wolves & Bristol City do in L1 - it might not be a return straight back to the Championship. Fans of these 2 clubs will be expecting this though and this will pile extra pressure on the players and manager so I will be eager to see how this works out.

If either clubs have a bad start the pressure will quickly mount!

Dark horses in L2 could be York City - they have a experienced manager who has a good cv, and if they make the right signings over the next few weeks I can see them making a challenge for the play offs.

96tommy

Dark horses in L2 could be York City - they have a experienced manager who has a good cv, and if they make the right signings over the next few weeks I can see them making a challenge for the play offs.

I'm a York City season ticket holder. Worthington had a slow start but he ended a 3 month winless run and managed to keep us up by not losing our final 6/7 games. We have made 4 signings so far: Ryan Bowman, Sander Puri, Craig Clay and Ryan Jarvis. We should be getting a goalkeeper within a week or two but it has been a very quiet close season so far.
I couldn't believe it when Worthington joined. It doesn't seem that long ago when he was managing Norwich City and of course Northern Ireland and to have some one of that experience has seemed to have had a positive impact on the club. It is clear he is serious about his job and has the right contacts due to him having a 'bigger' name. I believe he is cousins with Brendan Rodgers.
Everyone at the club has had nothing but praise for Worthington and his backroom staff. Our last manager Gary Mills led us to Wembley twice, two weekends in a row and we won them both, one giving us a place in the leagues after what seemed a never ending run in the Blue Square (Conference). His sacking came as a surprise at the time but it was clear he (and the players) just weren't adapted to the league.

Fingers crossed, we can gain promotion but to be honest I would be happy with the play offs after the up and down season the club has had to endure over the last 9 months.

David

Established Member
Aren't there some underhand shenanigans going on with the two Gainsborough players to Scunthorpe?

AFAIK no. Both were out of contract and rejected new contracts at Gainsborough, leaving them free to join another club. The only thing that needs to be done now is a fee agreed for the pair, as they are both under the age of 24.

It will be really interesting to see how Wolves & Bristol City do in L1 - it might not be a return straight back to the Championship. Fans of these 2 clubs will be expecting this though and this will pile extra pressure on the players and manager so I will be eager to see how this works out.

Wolves fan signing in - I am not expecting a return to the Championship straight away. I'm hopeful, but not expecting. Unfortunately a lot of fans are expecting, and Wolves fans being quite vocal with their moaning, what would be an absolute disaster for us is to start the season poorly and then sacking Mr Jackett around Christmas, a la Mick. Then we're in the same mess again, only this time, two leagues lower...

Butts

Veteran Member
Wolves fan signing in - I am not expecting a return to the Championship straight away. I'm hopeful, but not expecting. Unfortunately a lot of fans are expecting, and Wolves fans being quite vocal with their moaning, what would be an absolute disaster for us is to start the season poorly and then sacking Mr Jackett around Christmas, a la Mick. Then we're in the same mess again, only this time, two leagues lower...

Sacking Mick was the biggest mistake, incidentally do you know what happened to the £20 Million plus they got from player sales last summer as no other Wolves fans on here seem to know.

Has anyone asked the question ? :p

Sacking Mick was the biggest mistake, incidentally do you know what happened to the £20 Million plus they got from player sales last summer as no other Wolves fans on here seem to know.

Has anyone asked the question ? :p

Went on a new stand which will be empty next season. Never mind. :roll:

familyguy99

I see you've lost Matt Smith today. Didn't see much League One last year (will this year :( ) however I was taken with his performances in the FA Cup. Will be a big loss for you I think.

^^ I don't rate Smith that high as only do well in FA Cup matches 4rd and 5rd and last three matches of season for Latics (scored 3 goals in his last 3 appearances which help us saved in LG1) but he score against Liverpool and Everton is probably reason why Leeds got him, I wouldn't be surprise to he him playing in League One again next season on Loan to someone.

EDIT: As for Oldham in 2013/14 season, I think we could have good season even could make top 10 or even do Yeovil and go up to Championship knowing people had them going down to LG2 before 2012/13 season started, we have loss our player of season Lee Croft as he contract end but hopefully Jean-Yves M'voto sign new contract as it be big boost for Latics defender.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
I'm a York City season ticket holder. Worthington had a slow start but he ended a 3 month winless run and managed to keep us up by not losing our final 6/7 games. We have made 4 signings so far: Ryan Bowman, Sander Puri, Craig Clay and Ryan Jarvis. We should be getting a goalkeeper within a week or two but it has been a very quiet close season so far.
I couldn't believe it when Worthington joined. It doesn't seem that long ago when he was managing Norwich City and of course Northern Ireland and to have some one of that experience has seemed to have had a positive impact on the club. It is clear he is serious about his job and has the right contacts due to him having a 'bigger' name. I believe he is cousins with Brendan Rodgers.
Everyone at the club has had nothing but praise for Worthington and his backroom staff. Our last manager Gary Mills led us to Wembley twice, two weekends in a row and we won them both, one giving us a place in the leagues after what seemed a never ending run in the Blue Square (Conference). His sacking came as a surprise at the time but it was clear he (and the players) just weren't adapted to the league.

Fingers crossed, we can gain promotion but to be honest I would be happy with the play offs after the up and down season the club has had to endure over the last 9 months.

I have always enjoyed my visit's to Bootham Crescent in years gone by, win lose or draw, so look forward to returning next season. I could not make it last season due to work commitments.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Who knows what would have happened in Mick had stayed at Wolves, one thing is for sure he turned the Tractor Boys season around spectacularly.

Wolves have a fantastic history way back into the 50's and 60's and it is sad to see them where they are now. I am hoping the club will get back to more successful times in the future and hopefully start winning things again.

It would be nice to see a happy Molineaux as well as during my past visits as an away fan it has been strangely subdued with not much of an atmosphere.

My Dad has been a supporter of Wolves for many years and remembers the teams of the 60's well so I always keep an eye out for their results, hopefully SEB will make a quick recovery and play an important part next season.

As for Kenny Jackett I wish him well as he has a tough job on his hands but he has a good record at Millwall so hopefully he will stay around a lot longer than previous incumbents and turn things around.

richw

Veteran Member

I expect Plymouth to start improving towards top half, Sheridan has come in and will get a few good signings, start to stamp his mark. Carl Fletcher just wasted the money on rubbish last year. I don't expect Sheridan to do the same. Fletcher signed quantity not quality

83G/84D

Established Member
I expect Plymouth to start improving towards top half, Sheridan has come in and will get a few good signings, start to stamp his mark. Carl Fletcher just wasted the money on rubbish last year. I don't expect Sheridan to do the same. Fletcher signed quantity not quality

Hopefully mid table or above for Argyle, can't see them going for promotion. Given the rubbish the fans have had to put up with on and off the pitch the core support has been tremendously loyal so they deserve better next season. I wasn't sure about Sheridan before he joined and was hoping O'Driscoll would join but Sheridan had a relatively good end to the season albeit a nerve racking last day!

Hopefully he can get the team more the way he wants it and a decent striker should be near the top of the shopping list, haven't had one at Home Park for many years. Time for "Harry Potter" (chairman) to dig deep in his pockets and splash the cash on a proven goalscorer.

richw

Veteran Member
His (James Brent/ Harry Potter) plans to make additional income for the club through a large leisure facility at Home Park go before the planning division in July. The local council have publically said they are supportive of the scheme.

edit to stop a double post, Just as we were mentioning the need for an attacking player, left this site and went to BBC Football to find Sheridan has signed Lewis Alessandra,

Plymouth will sign winger Lewis Alessandra on a two-year deal after he rejected a new contract at Morecambe.

Shrimps boss Jim Bentley said the 24-year-old had initially agreed to remain at the Globe Arena but "has since had a change of heart".

Alessandra, who played 47 times last season, will join the Pilgrims when his Morecambe deal ends on 1 July.

"I think he's at a good age and he can be a really good player for us," boss John Sheridan told the club website.

"He's got a lot of things to his game - he can play on the wing and anywhere across the so-called front four - but I like to see him up front."

Sheridan handed Alessandra his professional debut in 2007 when they were at Oldham together

Oldham contingent any comments regarding Alessandra?

underbank

Established Member

Morecambe supporter here. Lewis Allessandra was a popular lad during his two years with Morecambe, but didn't really do the job as an attacker and really went off the boil towards the end of his time with us.

He knows the moves, plenty of fancy footwork, etc., but he can't finish what he starts. Far too often he keeps the ball well against tackling, but seems to run out of ideas and ends up losing it. Far too reluctant to pass it when there are other players ideally placed.

He's also got quite poor kicking accuracy. Often took corners but there was no accuracy - they went all over the place - couldn't pick out a player to aim at. Once he had a cracking run at goal, got past the defenders and side stepped the goalie, only to send his shot high over an open goal. When watching the pre-match warm ups, it was quite noticeable how poor his accuracy was when the players line up to take shots at goal - his were like a scatter gun.

Don't know why, but he barely ever had a full game either. He would either start and be brought off, or start on the bench and go on for the last 10/20 minutes or. He didn't seem to have the stamina/fitness to keep up the pressure and concentration for 90 minutes.

Given his clear ability at ball control, seeing off tackles and quite a good turn of speed, he does have the potential to do great things, but he's definitely a work in progress and will need some serious training to make him the finished article that he's may be capable of.

richw

Veteran Member
underbank, apologies for not asking Morecombe supporters, wasn't aware we had any, but there is a few Oldham fans that visit this thread regularly.

83G/84D

Established Member
This repeats what is being said on the PASOTI forum, he is Mr Inconsistent. Good in spells and bad in equal spells - a frustrating player to watch. Anyway JS must have faith in him and given his limited spending budget he might have to take a gamble or two on players like Alessandra and hope he can improve him over the season.

After all Craig Noone was a bit like that at Argyle first and see what happened to him - Brighton and then Cardiff.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I would have thought tbat if Argygle were set upon signing someone from Morecambe, Kevil Ellison would be a bettter shout.

Mind you, they'd probably have to pay a fee...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Being one of the main two Oldham Athletic contributors, I am more concerned at a comment that was made to me in a telephone conversation, that a consortium fronted by Stephen Vaughan, the former Chester City owner, is having exploratory talks with regard to putting a takeover bid together for Oldham Athletic.

Under his stewardship, Chester City were expelled in 2010 from the Football Conference for overdue tax payments. Is he really a fit person to run a football club ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is anyone watching the U21 Euro Championships on at the moment? I was really impressed with Norway's performance against Israel last Wednesday..... I think Israel are rubbish

To cap a disaster of a tournement....

England U-21...0.....Israel U-21...1

If Israel are rubbish, what does this result do for England's reputation at U-21 level ?

Last edited:
To cap a disaster of a tournement....

England U-21...0.....Israel U-21...1

If Israel are rubbish, what does this result do for England's reputation at U-21 level ?

Just absolutely woeful.

I appreciate England were on top for most of the game but the amount of chances that went begging was heartbreaking. I don't really rate Stuart Pearce to be honest and I don't think he'll be with the U21s for much longer.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Just absolutely woeful.

I appreciate England were on top for most of the game but the amount of chances that went begging was heartbreaking. I don't really rate Stuart Pearce to be honest and I don't think he'll be with the U21s for much longer.

Stuart Pearce is really good at shouting but quite woeful as an International manager.

The FA chairman said he was "impressed" with Pearce after the Under 21's had been knocked out last week.

More like he was impressed that Pearce very much tows the FA line and comes fairly cheap.

Oswyntail

Established Member
........ Is he really a fit person to run a football club ?
Since when the FA approving anyone?

........If Israel are rubbish, what does this result do for England's reputation at U-21 level ?
For all the anti-Pearce comment, I do like the fact that he has laid the blame squarely where it belongs, the players. They made it quite clear they would rather not have been there, and seemed not to be trying. There is only so much a manager can do, and if playing for their country is not enough to motivate them, then they should all be scrubbed off the list of "England qualified" players.